- - - - -

Kinky Friedman for Governor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:27 PM

The gubernatorial campaign started in Fort Worth today with a meeting of Kinky's supporters at the Tarrant County campaign office in the Stockyards (wierd spot, but it's donated space). Not a bad turnout of about 50 people with a variety of political leanings but a unifying theme: we've got to change things in Austin.

The website is: http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/

Step one is to get Kinky on the ballot by collecting the signatures of 45,000 voters. One hitch is that only those who do not vote in a party primary can provide a valid petition signature. We're starting the effort now by asking people not to vote in the primaries but to save themselves to sign the petition.

Posted Image

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:09 PM

I just read his "Guide to Texas Etiquette" last month and laughed my way through it. I like a lot of his ideas. I'm thinking seriously about saving my primary vote to get him on the ballot.

#3 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:34 PM

KINKY!

KINKY'S MY BOY!

Love his literary humor and can't wait to see him CHANGE things in Austin. Kinky is the REAL DEAL when it comes to getting things done for the PEOPLE of Texas. Saw him on a PBS one hour special last month. I've got my bumper sticker.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#4 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 12 October 2005 - 06:48 PM

Im for Kinky!!!!

hes better then the alternative...

#5 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:37 PM

The first challenge will be ballot space. The two major parties (names withheld to protect the guilty) crafted the law in Texas that requires an independent to acquire all 46,000 qualifying petition signatures within 6 weeks of the primaries. Or, if there is a runoff in a primary, the time is cut to about 2 weeks.

Unfair? Well, only if you think that Texas should accomodate the independent thinker and candidate. If party lines and the promotion of special interests is your thing, then what I described won't seem so bad.

So first question is whether Kinky should be on the ballot. After all, you can oppose him as a candidate but still believe that he should have ballot access.

The second question, of course, is whether to vote for him. And that goes to the second challenge: winning.

#6 Call me Arch Stanton

Call me Arch Stanton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE(ghughes @ Oct 24 2005, 11:37 PM) View Post

The first challenge will be ballot space. The two major parties (names withheld to protect the guilty) crafted the law in Texas that requires an independent to acquire all 46,000 qualifying petition signatures within 6 weeks of the primaries. Or, if there is a runoff in a primary, the time is cut to about 2 weeks.

Unfair? Well, only if you think that Texas should accomodate the independent thinker and candidate. If party lines and the promotion of special interests is your thing, then what I described won't seem so bad.

So first question is whether Kinky should be on the ballot. After all, you can oppose him as a candidate but still believe that he should have ballot access.

The second question, of course, is whether to vote for him. And that goes to the second challenge: winning.

I'm typically a critic of the person who jumps on a bandwagon of a politician with the excuse of "Well, he's different, and he's not part of the political machine," or "He just seems like the kind of guy you could sit down and have a beer with while you watch the game," or other such nonsense. And clearly, for Kinky to be successful, he's going to need THAT group of people. But what I find most intriguing about his campaign, is he just might make a little bit of sense...

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:26 PM

Did anyone get a chance to watch "Go Kinky" on CMT last week? I Tivo'd it and finally got around to watching it tonight. It's not showing again anytime soon, but, man, was it entertaining. Getting him on the ballot next November should be priority one. I don't know if he would have a real chance, but he would add something of substance to an election that has little potential.

Warning: If stereotyping Texans as backwards rednecks bothers you, stay away from this show or anything else connected with Kinky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users