• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

OK, the epicenter wasn't in the city of Fort Worth, but the string of earthquakes in the region that began in 2008 continued last night. This time the focus of the ground movements were north of Irving and in Cockrell Hill. Did anyone in Fort Worth feel the quakes? I have a friend near Kaufman who says he did, but that is a long way from where it struck. The news sources today seem to say that the 3.4 tremor was felt about 20 miles away, and Kaufman is closer to 40. Here is an interesting article about the relationship between injection wells used to dispose of poisonous used fracking fluids and earthquakes:

http://stateimpact.n...las-fort-worth/

Interesting because the scientist who is quoted in the article states that he is unsure that the disposal is a bad thing and that the small earthquakes are, in his opinion, sort of fun.

Like air and water point source pollution, this sort of phenomenon is not just a local problem, it is a regional concern. With the number of extraction wells in Fort Worth and injection wells in surrounding areas we shouldn't be surprised if more earthquakes happen in the future. I wonder what the cost of this "cheap" natural gas would be if producers were required to return the water to how it was found after use in fracking?

#2 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:41 AM

I was awake and watching TV at 11 last night during the earthquake. Did not feel a thing. But likely would not feel such a minor movement.

I really do not think any quakes are caused by drilling or fracking. But I do know that the total damage in the Metroplex in the last 5 years from earthquakes is less than 5 minutes worth of money the Metroplex takes in from gas. (Minor to no damage, Major influx of cash to our towns.) So even if fracking was causing these "quakes" I do not think it should change our drilling or fracking patterns. There is a 100% chance that if there had been no fracking in the metroplex we would be living in very depressed area right now. Take billions of dollars our of our local economy and see what we would look like. Not pretty at all. (And don't forget to add the pollution as a result of not having plentiful and cheap natural gas. That is an additional huge cost.)
www.fortworthview.com

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'd agree, even if the drilling is the cause of the quakes, I cant imagine it being worse of. The only thing that really bothers me about the drilling is the unsightly pads left over. Go look on google maps around places like Fairview, the things are everywhere.

#4 CleanBarber.com

CleanBarber.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

What's even more concerning though is Home Owners insurance in Texas does not cover damages caused by quakes and most folks don't even know it.

Home owners cannot get earth quake/movement insurance in Texas the last time I researched. Texans are used to natural disasters but our policies could help us "get back to where we belong" as Farmers use to say regarding hail, tornados, floods, etc. However this is a whole new can of worms that we can't prepare against. What happens when the big one hits DFW?

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

I think we would probably see evidence of a marked increase in intensity and frequency before there's any real worry of the big one or one causing even minor damage. The frequency is certainly higher than a few years ago, but they're still pretty few and far between.

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

2.7 last night in Midlothian

http://dfw.cbslocal....-tuesday-night/

#7 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Hee hee - 2.7 :) When you get up into the 6's, then we're talking earthquakes!
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#8 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

Just be happy y'all get nothing but little jigglers from all the fracking. Pardon my saying it (as a native Texan, now living in southern California), but they don't build for major quakes in Texas, and a six-pointer would do considerable damage anywhere in the state.

#9 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

By looking at this map, I am thinking we should be more worried about probable hazards. Like Gangs coming up from Mexico.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#10 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

As a native Southern Californian now living in Texas, I have to ask - why would anyone actually choose to live in Cali. Southern or otherwise? :)
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#11 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

As a native Southern Californian now living in Texas, I have to ask - why would anyone actually choose to live in Cali. Southern or otherwise? :)

We've got better weather, by far.

#12 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

See. Told Ya! I have lived in the North Texas area most of my life and never remember an earthquake until the past several years. Hmmm, that is the same time interval that hydraulic fracturing (Fracking) began here to release deep natural gas deposits. The geologists on the company payrolls have been denying any connection between fracking and the recent spate of earthquakes, it took a disinterested outside study to find the link. Fracking... not a good idea!

http://blogs.smithso...akes-after-all/

#13 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

This one registered 2.6 and was down by Burleson. Friends in the Southside and Wedgewood felt this one and say they had no doubts what was going on.

http://www.star-tele...t-southern.html

#14 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

I was out walking the dogs with my son and we didn't feel it (Meadowcreek area). Some guy came out of his house and asked if we felt an earthquake but I suppose we couldn't feel it above the jerking and tugging of the dogs at the leashes.

When we got home my wife said she felt it, thought someone had hit our house or our fence.
My blog: Doohickie

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

I was home, but I didn't feel it.

#16 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Interesting. One area earthquake per month for the last four months. Is this going to be a monthly thing from now on (until the drilling stops)? I live in SW Fort Worth near Southwest Boulevard and Vickery but didn't feel it, either.

#17 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

I live on the border of Arlington, Mansfield and Rendon (Bisbee?) and I've yet to feel one, but I'm pretty sure I've heard the last two. sort off sounds like thunder, but underground.
Or that's just a bus going by my house...

#18 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

Let's pretend fracking wells caused this earthquake damage. (And I can show you plenty of blogs claiming Elvis is still alive.) Let's add up the economic impact of both natural gas and earthquakes in the Metroplex. I am thinking the ratio is like a billion to one in favor of lets keep fracking. This is like the silliest discussion ever on this forum. Of anybody on this Forum, I have more at stake concerning earthquake damage. I have two homes. One on the 28th floor of a concrete skyscraper and the other on the 34th floor. For me, a meaningful earthquake would be, like, really bad. As I always say, people complaining about natural gas and fracking have little at stake in this area. Either they do not own a home, own a really cheap home where they don't mind if the value goes down 20% because that is only 5 thousand bucks or have no family looking for work in this area. Take natural gas out of the equation in the metroplex and this place would have been a crap heap. The jobs, the taxes they have paid, the movement of workers into this area etc... all have meant and do mean everything to us. DFW airport would probably have been shut down without their gas money. Not to mention natural gas is the cleanest realistic choice for energy.
www.fortworthview.com

#19 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

These "frakes" (quakes due to fracking), as I like to call them, are but minor jigglers compared with the ones Mother Nature occasionally lets off on the Ring of Fire, where I live.

#20 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

^Oh man, I imagine. The ones around here are tiny, I can't imagine they are doing anymore damage the a semi truck driving by.
If they start getting bigger I might start worrying.

#21 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

I think there is a linkage between the fracking and the quakes. Thus far, the quakes have caused minimal damage. But at some point, there is a chance that damage will occur due to these quakes. Do we hold the companies involved responsible? Are they financially liable? I'm not thinking it's necessarily a public safety issue, but it could be a liability issue if damage occurs.

#22 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Let's get more solid information from believable sources before we start saying that fracking causes earthquakes. In addition we need testing to see check whether the high pressure fracking process or the drilling process itself could be the source, if indeed there is any proof of earthquake generation at all.

As a separate issue, we also need to do the same for waste water injection at high pressure. These are two separate issues.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#23 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

I think it's actually the waste water wells that they've linked to the earthquakes. Apparently it acts as a lubricant between tectonic plates.

#24 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

I think there is a linkage between the fracking and the quakes. Thus far, the quakes have caused minimal damage. But at some point, there is a chance that damage will occur due to these quakes. Do we hold the companies involved responsible? Are they financially liable? I'm not thinking it's necessarily a public safety issue, but it could be a liability issue if damage occurs.

Establishing causation is difficult but not impossible. Aside from earthquakes, I've read a lot of about people claiming sickness from groundwater contamination supposedly caused by fracking.

#25 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, that reminds me of the old Love Canal situation (if you've never heard of it, click here). There were lots of denials before links were tied between illnesses in that area and the chemicals that were dumped there. When these things first came to light, the chemical companies vigorously denied any connection. In the beginning, they didn't really know but they were trying to limit their liability. I think we're in the same phase here, but the science isn't in yet.

#26 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

It would be a good idea to get the "science in" before we say "I think"... I have no problem with requiring the drillers of a lease to pay for certifiable testing on each and every well or bore.

I have never understood why there is no requirement that before a well is drilled that a certified report is not made on the condition of the several levels of water strata and then after the well comes in, producing periodic reports on the continuing quality through the producing life of the well. If this had been started long ago, then there would be no controversy over the water quality in a given location. It is such a simple thing that it's hard to believe that it is not done on every well.

Doing these things would eliminate the endless and factually useless "I think" statements that cloud everything but that have no real value..

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#27 CleanBarber.com

CleanBarber.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

The morning of the quake I walk into my living room and there is a crack in my sheetrock from top to bottom in my living room and a similar crack in tool room. I said to myself that's odd.... I live in the South Hills area. An hour later I get a text from my neighbor wanting to know if I felt the earthquake. I said no but my checkbook will. Read my previous post on this thread and RECOGNIZE. I didn't make any quantifiable profit/income on the drilling YTD, but I am convinced my property's value went up signicantly in an indirect way causing my taxes to be more. Not happy about this.

Before the drilling began I recall seeing Seismic equipment on Williams road. Asking my passenger what the vehicles were used for he stated "They are Seismic equipment." Regardless of their correlation or use I told him you can bet your bottom dollar earthquakes -big or small are coming to town! Later I found out they are used in preliminary surveying for gas/minerals. Ockham's may apply.

And yes I am debriefing. Thanks John for this site! :roflol:

#28 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

First of all, I fall into the camp that thinks minor earthquakes don't even qualify as an annoyance because most of the time you wouldn't know one had happened if someone didn't tell you it had. A major earthquake would be a different deal. We're just not equipped to handle it. So, what are the odds of a major earthquake in our region?

The fault line in play in this part of the world is the Balcones fault. It is, by its nature, a relatively low risk fault. That is to say that for a fault to be terribly dangerous there would need to be a lot of built up tension on the fault line. It is my understanding that very few geologists (regardless of their employers) are concerned about significant movement along this fault line. It is widely regarded as one of the lowest risk zones for earthquakes in the United States. It is the nature of my job to assess and price for risk. I don't believe that anything is 100% risk free, so all decisions are a function of determining what is an acceptable risk. In my opinion if the price of employing tens of thousands of north Texans for the foreseeable future is a few earthquakes (hell make it a bunch if 3.0 is standard) then I think it is an acceptable risk.

I know other people see it differently. They should vote for candidates who see it their way, then lobby the candidates who are likely to beat their preferred candidates and, ultimately, if democracy leads us down a path of prosperity over soil stability they should vote with their feet and move if the risk is more than they can handle.

#29 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

3.0 centered in Irving

http://www.star-tele...ear-irving.html

#30 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Earthquake1.jpg

(Yes, I know it's out of date.)

#31 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Since this is the U.S. should I assume that "the 1%" will be paying for the paper towel to wipe that up?

#32 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Why do you feel the need to be jingoistic?

#33 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

4.1, but a long way from the Metromess; But right in the middle of the Haynesville-Bossier gas field. Coincidence I'm sure  :glare:

http://www.star-tele...earthquake.html

#34 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

2.7 in Johnson County, northeast of Godley. 4th quake since February 24.

http://www.star-tele...in-johnson.html

#35 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

Why do you feel the need to be jingoistic?

"jingoistic"?

To quote one of my favorite movie characters, Inigo Montoya, "I do not think it means what you think it means."

#36 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

Why is it that whenever there is an earthquake in the area, I NEVER feel it?  I have never felt one before and have always been curious as to what they are like.  Not that I want to feel a big one, of course.

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#37 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

2.6-mag 05 November 2013 east of Reno (TX)

http://www.star-tele...es-default?rh=1

#38 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

3rd quake in area in 24 hours; 2.7-mag:

http://www.star-tele...-northeast.html

#39 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

I heard this morning that there was a 4th quake late last night - another 2.7.

#40 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

7th quake since November 01. S-T article:

http://www.star-tele...th-strikes.html

2.1 (near Richland Hills), 2.6, 2.7 and an aftershock, 2.9, 3.0, 2.8 all around Azle.

#41 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

Wonder what's causing the increase lately? Has drilling picked up pace to? 

#42 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

I was wondering of the people of the Philippines could bring us aid? 

www.fortworthview.com

#43 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

"Quakes more a nuisance than a crisis" … for now

http://www.star-tele...nce-than-a.html

#44 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

How can they even call them a "nuisance" when a good portion of the public doesn't even notice when they happen?

#45 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

Numbers 8 and 9 for November. These are in the same general area NW of Fort Worth as most of the other recent tremors.

http://www.nbcdfw.co...partner=nbcnews

#46 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

Wow! Here's #10 (2.5 mag) #11 (2.8 mag) and #12; are you ready?…  3.6 mag!

http://www.star-tele...e-new.html?rh=1

#47 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:38 PM

…and #13, a 2.9 mag:

http://www.star-tele...-northeast.html

#48 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

#14 @ 3.3 mag this morning:

http://www.nbcdfw.co...partner=nbcnews

#49 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

I must be getting used to them. Something woke me up, but I didn't realize it was an earthquake and I quickly went back to sleep.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#50 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:09 AM

^Where do you live? I wonder how far outside of the Azle area they can be felt. 

Two more yesterday, a 2.7 and 3.0. Up to 17 for the month.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users