* * * * * 1 votes

DT: Former Bank One Bldg. has gone Condo.

• Please log in to reply
1085 replies to this topic

#101 cjyoung

cjyoung
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:09 AM

Does anyone know whether or not they have started to pre-sell any of the condos?

#102 Linda Turner

Linda Turner
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:10 AM

Does anyone know who the construction company is going to be?

#103 jefffwd

jefffwd
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:10 AM

http://www.dfw.com/m...cal/6612862.htm

#104 jonnyrules23

jonnyrules23
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:11 AM

Wow, that was a pretty neat article, thanks jefffwd!

I had a question, and I apologize if this has already been mentioned before, but what do they plan on calling the building after it's been turned into condos? I mean, they aren't going to call it the bank-one building still, so if anyone knows, I would appreciate it

#105 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:11 AM

That hasn't been released. The official current name for the building is the Block 82 Tower. When Bank One moved in the new buidling across the street, the Bass Family didn't want two buildings named the Bank One Building and the Bank One Tower (vacant one).

#106 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:12 AM

The renovations to remove asbestos and to convert the building into apartment is scheduled to start this week. Finally, we will see some construction on this site to eliminate the eyesore. This is a great week for Fort Worth.

The Star-Telegram had an illustration on the asbestos removal on the front page of Tarrant Business in today's paper. They also had an article on the inside about the work.

http://www.dfw.com/m...cal/6668402.htm

#107 jobrayne

jobrayne
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:15 AM

things are really starting to get going now. That is great. Like everyone else, I'll be following the progress and anxiously awaiting the completion (who knows when that will be? a while yet!). Sounds like it will be a splendid development when its done. I hope it will bring more people to reside, work, and spend their money in FW.

#108 LSyd

LSyd
  • Guests

this is great news. when i stayed in downtown Ft. Worth for a week about 5 years ago, this tower was one of my favorites to see. until seeing this article about the conversion I had no idea that it had been so badly damaged and abandoned.

#109 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

The old Bank One Tower has been a real eyesore on the skyline for over three years since the March 2000 tornado.

#110 westroplex

westroplex
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:16 AM

I think the building needs A spire. Or something like the Frost Bank In Austin. Or even something like pier 1 place. It could change the way the building look's In a whole new prospestive.

#111 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:16 AM

The early designs only show a remodeled facade. However, in the near future an updated design is scheduled to be unveiled.

#112 westroplex

westroplex
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:17 AM

That's good. This Is one to stick around for.

#113 apearson28

apearson28
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:17 AM

o yea. thats gonna be really exciting. when will it be released? that would be awesome if they added 30 floors to the building. hahah yea right jk

#114 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:18 AM

From what I have heard, it will only be a refinement of the earlier design. Probably no spire, just specifics on materials.

#115 renamerusk

renamerusk
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:18 AM

Yes, let's campaign for or at least hope for a spire or a crown, ie the Chrysler Bldg (NYC) but with a western theme..and while out hope-ing: "Hell-o Burnett Plaza; put a head on it!"

#116 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:19 AM

I'll bet the good folks at Peter's Bros. could come up with an appropriate design! :D

#117 westroplex

westroplex
  • Guests

lol :D

#118 BB

BB
  • Guests

Looks like platic sheeting is going up on the west side of one floor.

Also, there is some type of leasing sign on the fence around the building with web site address. I didn't notice it until I was right up on it and I couldn't read what it was.

#119 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:20 AM

noticed that last week or so when i went to see my brothers class perform at four day weekend. the address is http://www.livingatthetower.com

#120 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:21 AM

the web site is "under construction" - nothing to see yet.

#121 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

I have noticed the plastic sheeting going up on the facade. I actually took a picture of it and posted it on other forums the next day. When I was in downtown this weekend, I noticed the sign and the web site. I went home and found that it was basically under construction and didn't have any information, just a questionnaire that potential tenants could fill out. Since the contractors are now actually working on the building, we should probably monitor the web site for updates.

#122 westroplex

westroplex
  • Guests

I went down there yesterday, and saw that the buildung has none one the south side of the building. But the glass Is still there. Mady they will keep the glass until last. The material looks like a bage or a brown colored tarp or something. Whatever It Is thery are making a lot of progress.

#123 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:22 AM

The material that they are draping on the sides of the building are some type of plastic. Reports on how the work was going to be done indicated that the south side would not have any large sheets of plastic hanging from it.

#124 westroplex

westroplex
  • Guests

I think they start puting the materials up around three days ago.

#125 renamerusk

renamerusk
  • Guests

Any loss of surface parking caused by construction or revitalization pales in comparison to a vibrant and dense central business district. I hope that the city will encourage developers to build subterrean parking topped by retail space at street level.

As for the BOT, could additional levels to its the current parking structure be added to accomodate the new residents and shoppers?

#126 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:23 AM

As discussed in earlier threads here, subterranean parking is very expensive in Downtown Fort Worth, and unless the developer wants to spend a great deal of money, doesn't yield high numbers of parking spaces. Bedrock is close to the surface and other layers of rock above it make it very expensive to excavate more than 2 levels below ground.

The existing Bank One Tower parking garage has already had one floor of office space added on top of it as it was originally designed. No additional floors can be added as far as I know.

#127 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:23 AM

There are many parts of the country, perhaps with less available land, that build underground parking in similar rock. That's when dynamite becomes handy. Certainly developers don't want to spend extra money, but, frankly, Fort Worth is eventually going to have to require higher quality development standards.

The city could put incentives in place to encourage going underground. After all, we currently dump millions into "community facilities" that encourage sprawl.

#128 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:24 AM

Posted 10/21/03:

A new name and more detailed designs will be presented today. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram will have more information in tomorrow's paper.

#129 jefffwd

jefffwd
  • Guests

I saw the story on Good Day this morning. Ch. 4 was reporting live from downtown and said they would have the story this afternoon/evening. They even showed an interview with the developer. In my opinion I think Channel 4 does a really good job covering Fort Worth. I don't know whether or not they actually have a FW bureau or not but they use the skyline during the weather and the morning show has a good shot of the courthouse, City Center and the Worthington as a backdrop. And... if you have ever walked past the studios in downtown Big D the sign says... KDFW DALLAS FORT WORTH.

#130 BB

BB
  • Guests

Fox 4 does have a Ft. Worth bureau and, I agree, they usually do a nice job of covering Ft. Worth.

#131 BB

BB
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:25 AM

FYI: The S-T's web site has a note to check after 2pm and they will have information on the B1 Tower press conference.

#132 jefffwd

jefffwd
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:25 AM

http://www.dfw.com/m...ess/7067905.htm

#133 BB

BB
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:26 AM

New name of the building is "The Tower". I like it. Could have done much worse.

#134 johnlp

johnlp
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:27 AM

Will it have amber colored Christmas lights? Hmmmmmmm?

#135 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Probably not, but it will have a lighted crown added to the top of the building.

Good work, Forumers, on posting this soon after the announcement! I was out in the field and was away from the internet and the office.

#136 westroplex

westroplex
  • Guests

Does anyone know the height of the crown? Will It be as tall as the one on the pier one place tower?

#137 BB

BB
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:28 AM

If you look at the rendering on the S-T site, the crown is not going to add a whole lot to the building in the way of height. It looks a little like the top of the Cash America building, in that it adds a bit of an overhang around the top.

#138 Prairie Pup

Prairie Pup
  • Guests

But was it the "first downtown skyscraper" as stated in the article? I always thought that distinction was reserved for the Flatiron Building across from the Convention Center Arena.

The rendering looks great, about time something was done with that eyesore. Kudos to the developers! Now, who is going to take on the Continental Bank / Landmark Building?

Pup

#139 JM Hermus

JM Hermus
  • Guests

I am not sure if I appreciate the top of the tower as it appears in its most current rendering. Can someone help me--what exactly is it? It will probably look great when completed, but the renderings make it appear to be a little odd.

#140 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:29 AM

I can't really tell. To me, it looks similar to the top of Cash America.

#141 renamerusk

renamerusk
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:29 AM

Yeah baby -- AN ILLUMINATING CROWN. We have needed some sort of a beacon or a lighthouse to visually captivate you in the night from places like Arlington, Weatherford, Haslet, Burleson and the likes.

Oh what a difference both Pier 1 and the Tower will make.

#142 renamerusk

renamerusk
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:31 AM

Looks like we got our wish. Do you think someone was paying attention to us?

#143 renamerusk

renamerusk
  • Guests

Not very imaginative. Do you think that some of the suggested names where possibly "Throckmorton" or "The Chisholm"?

Also, why the deep green exterior. Would a copper or bronze tinted exterior been a better compliment to what is a very good Southwestern style base? Two green towers (C+B Plaza) ;very scary and not indicative of our arid and sandstonesq environment.

Well there is hope for the next downtown project which I hope is forthcoming soon.

#144 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Glad to see some home ownership opportunities developing downtown.

#145 jefffwd

jefffwd
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:32 AM

According to Laurie Fox at the Morning News, while there are a few residential projects of similar height in Houston, "The Tower" will be the tallest of its kind in the FW/D Metroplex.

#146 westroplex

westroplex
  • Guests

I like the pier one place tower. But "The Tower" will be seen much far away than the pier one place building. To me, pier one will only be visible from the west and the north mostly.

#147 jefffwd

jefffwd
  • Guests

I have a decent view of the skyline from the east. My house is near Loop 820 @ Trinity near the Hurst border and I am going to have a great view of "The Tower" from my front yard! Can't wait to see it at night!

#148 westroplex

westroplex
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:34 AM

I don't wana put the building down In any way. I love the green windows, stores and everything about the building. But what a friggin relief to have the building getting worked on.

#149 Kevin Lehnhardt

Kevin Lehnhardt
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:35 AM

Here's a look at the tallest residential buildings in Texas cities. They may have other notable tall ones also, but these are their tallest. I'm an editor at Skyscrapers.com where I look for building heights for the site.

Houston - The Huntington - 503 feet - 34 floors - 1986. This was the tallest residential building in Texas for many years until the Mercantile Building in Dallas was converted into residential.

Fort Worth - The Tower - 454 feet - 35 floors - 1974.

San Antonio - Towers at Parklane - 368 feet - 23 floors, completion date unknown. It's actually used as residential for the elderly.

Austin - Dobie Center it's around 330 to 340 feet tall. It's 307 feet to the main roof and then there's a large mechanical penthouse above that. It's the largest dormitory in Austin, and is located near UT, and houses around 930 students. At the time it was completed was the tallest building in Austin, and was the first highrise in the city to be taller than the State Capitol. It has 29 floors and was built in 1972. Austin also has a proposal for a new residential building. The Four Seasons Residences - 320 feet with 28 floors. It's on hold now, but is planned to start construction sometime next year.

South Padre Island - Bridgepoint Condominiums - 29 floors. I'm not sure on the height, but I'd guess it's around 325 to 330 feet. It's easily the tallest building in Texas south of San Antonio.

Corpus Christi - Trinity Towers - 285 feet - 21 floors - completion date unknown. The building is used for residential for the elderly.

Denton - Guinn Hall - 271 feet - 24 floors - built 1967. It's a dorm for Texas Women's University.

Abilene - Wooten Hotel - 200 feet - 18 floors - built 1930. It was the tallest building in Abilene until 1982.

Irving - Grand Treviso Tower - 190 feet - 17 floors - built 2002.

Montgomery - Del Lago Tower - 188 feet - 21 floors.

Waco - 400 Austin Avenue - 186 feet - 12 floors - built 1922. It's used for residiential for the elderly.

College Station - University Tower - 17 floors. It's a dorm for Texas A&M. It may also be the tallest building in College Station.

Port Aransas - Mustang Towers - 15 floors.

Nacogdoches - Garner Apartments - 14 floors. Used for a dorm at Stephen F. Austin State University.

Galveston - By the Sea Condominiums - 158 feet - 12 floors. Galveston may actually have taller residential buildings, and probably does. Right now there is a proposal for a development that would bring two 26-story residential towers, and two 21-story residential towers to the island. The article is quoted as saying it would be a "local landmark" for the area.

San Marcos - Jackson Hall - 140 feet - 12 floors - built 1966.

Lubbock - Coleman Hall - 12 floors. Used for dorms at Texas Tech University.

San Angelo - Rio Concho Manor - 10 floors - built 1966.

Mineral Wells - Crazy Water Retirement Hotel Retirement Homes - 8 floors - built in 1927.

Corsicana - Fellowship Towers. I'm pretty sure this building was used for residential. I saw it at night a few months ago and didn't get a chance to stop and check it out. It looked like it might be between 8 and 10 floors, but I'm not sure. I haven't had much luck finding it on the internet either, since it's name ends up referring to the movie "Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring".

That's all that I can think of. Although, there may be more. If you can think of any, please add them to the list. Also if anyone wants to use this list feel free to. I gathered the information from Skyscrapers.com.

#150 renamerusk

renamerusk
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:36 AM

Having had a couple of days to bask in all of the excitement surrounding BOT, my favorite of the three sections of the redevelopment are: 1st Place - The base; 2nd Place - The Crown; and 3rd Place - The tower. My question is: The original base of BOT is a pyramid, is it not.. so is this base load bearing and how do the engineers hope to remove the original base; change the space available for retail and office; yet support the tower? Should be quite an engineering feat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users