110 replies to this topic

#1 JSJ

JSJ

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:35 PM

I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere in the Forum.

Does anyone have any info regarding the residential component of Montgomery Plaza?

I understand they are going to have luxury apartments, but I can’t find out any info on price, floor plans, or a proposed opening date.

Why such a secret?

#2 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:08 PM

Go to "Commercial" and find the thread on Montgomery Plaza. You'll find your answer on the residential component there...

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:02 AM

A Plano group will redevelop the upper floors of the Montgomery Ward Retail Store and Warehouse into 240 condos ranging from 1,000 square feet to 4,600 square feet. The building will have a rooftop pool, parking garage (already built), and a movie room. The construction will start in April. Prices will range from the low $200,000 up to about $700,000. Below is a link to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram Article.

http://www.dfw.com/m...ss/15694093.htm

#4 SurplusPopulation

SurplusPopulation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:40 AM

...let the 'who's gonna pay THAT kinda money to live by a strip mall' griping begin.

The real question is which of our old favorite complainers will be first?

#5 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

To be honest, I was skeptical of the MW building condos, but this sounds like it's going to be a quality project (if only Marquis could have done the back of the property, too!). I've never had any problem with the MW building part of the project, and I am looking forward to getting people moved in there. They sound like they're going to do up the perks alright, which in my mind partly makes up for the "by a strip mall" stuff.

In my mind, I tend to think of the MW Building and the MP strip mall almost as separate projects. One neat, the other lame. I say bring on the MW building condos. I still think it'd be cool to live in that building, strip mall or no.

--

Kara B.

#6 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:02 AM

I see montgomery plaza as a project that could drive up lease rates eventually to the point where lower end retailers drop out and where the surface parking becomes extremely valuable land. While I don't see anything in the immediate short term... I do think it is possible that the "Asphalt Sea's" days could be numbered.

#7 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:14 AM

This is pretty cool!!! www.montgomeryplaza.com cool.gif

#8 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE(AdamB @ Oct 6 2006, 12:02 PM) View Post

I see montgomery plaza as a project that could drive up lease rates eventually to the point where lower end retailers drop out and where the surface parking becomes extremely valuable land. While I don't see anything in the immediate short term... I do think it is possible that the "Asphalt Sea's" days could be numbered.

I have thought that sometimes as well. I mean, it's all just concrete tilt wall junk back there - not like it would take a lot to knock it over.

--

Kara B.

#9 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Oct 6 2006, 12:28 PM) View Post

I mean, it's all just concrete tilt wall junk back there - not like it would take a lot to knock it over.

I maintain that there isn't anything wrong with the buildings themselves. It's the massive hole in the middle of the lot. That lot couldn't fill up on the busiest Saturday before Christmas that ever existed. It's just wasted space. I'd like to see something freestanding and outward facing in the middle of the parking lot.

But more on topic. I'm thrilled with the condo news.

#10 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Oct 11 2006, 02:08 PM) View Post

I maintain that there isn't anything wrong with the buildings themselves. It's the massive hole in the middle of the lot. That lot couldn't fill up on the busiest Saturday before Christmas that ever existed. It's just wasted space. I'd like to see something freestanding and outward facing in the middle of the parking lot.

But more on topic. I'm thrilled with the condo news.

Oh, I agree. That huge parking lot is my biggest problem, above the tilt-wall-ness of the rest of the complex.

Beyond the criticism of the area behind it, I actually like what's being done with the building itself, and I think the condos will be a fantastic addition to the area.

--

Kara B.

#11 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:01 PM

I agree cberen.. I don't mind the buildings so much... some of the retailers I think are seriously out of place. I would just like to see a couple parking garages and some two and three story buildings... turn it into more of a town center concept.

#12 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:56 PM

Maybe I was seeing things, but in the middle of the building looking from downtown the 2nd floor from the top had a siloute of a horse? Marketing blitz coming?

#13 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:50 PM

I've just posted a brief interview (sent to me by the Montgomery Plaza folks) with John E. Swather of Swaback Partners, the architect handling the condo project, at my new site Fort Worthology. Not the most revealing thing, but it does give some indication of what we can expect from the units themselves.

--

Kara B.

#14 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

Wow....I love the images in the top of the plaza. I looked on their website and those condos are going to be expensive...but nice.

#15 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:37 PM

I just received an invitation to the VIP Preview at the "Montgomery Plaza Presentation Center" in February of 2007. Interesting packet with a vellum invitation on top of a little booklet nested in a fitted box. The book is a flip book with the Thos Byrne builder's photos arranged in sequence so you can watch the original building being built one floor at a time. It then transitions rather suddenly to the crime scene smile.gif where the hole is being cut and then transitions into a nighttime lit up building photo. Nice ephemera. I suppose I'll have to tell them at some point that I already purchased a house, but maybe I can hold out until after the wine & cheese has been served.

AN
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#16 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:52 PM

I got the flip-book too, and one nice touch is that as the photos on the right proceed from groundbreaking to today, the left side of the book builds up the new One Montgomery Plaza logo.

--

Kara B.

#17 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:31 PM

Revealed: a Montgomery Plaza floorplan. This is a 3-bedroom, 2721 square-foot plan:

IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#18 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:36 PM

seems to be a little low on windows. I don't know what they could have done to make it better but I would have a hard time spending the money on that floorplan.

#19 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(AdamB @ Dec 18 2006, 10:36 PM) View Post

seems to be a little low on windows. I don't know what they could have done to make it better but I would have a hard time spending the money on that floorplan.

Remains to be seen - those are some very, very big windows, after all.

--

Kara B.

#20 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:35 PM

Yeah, the fact that the two secondary bedrooms have no windows is kind of depressing. Any clue as to what that curved thing running through the foyer/den/dining room is?

#21 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:42 AM

I am betting the curvey is showing change in floor elevation. "sunken" living room effect? Or maybe AC venting for cool urban loft feel...

#22 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:37 PM

I think I posted a bit of this info in the old MP thread, but since it relates directly to the condos I figure it'll be useful here. This is an interview with John E. Sather, the architect working on the MP condo project:

What was your first thought when you saw the building?

It’s unusual to find a building with such great bones. One Montgomery Plaza has a great presence due to its sheer mass and scale. It provides a lot of visual interest which is derived from the building’s windows and how they appear to rise in a vertical formation.

The building itself has its own life and ambiance. It’s extremely interesting in its surroundings. It has everything you would need to live comfortably, from goods and services, to recreational opportunities at the river, to its 7th Street location between the Cultural District and Downtown. The building and its external influences create an inherent lifestyle naturally.

What was your main design concept driving One Montgomery Plaza?

With our firm rooted in the design principles of Frank Lloyd Wright, we spent great time and care focusing on what is called the “space within.” Most architects design buildings from the “outside in,” letting the heroic design of the exterior elevation drive the project. In this approach the interiors are reactive to the exterior design. We are exactly the opposite and design from the “inside out” believing that what is utmost important is how the building is experienced from the people who live there. The interior floor plans should be done first and then the exterior look and feel.

The result of focusing on the “space within” created a series of organic plans at One Montgomery Plaza. Contrary to a “condominium in a box” approach we have crafted a variety of highly personalized spaces in the homes. We are not talking about right angles, but allowed for curvilinear forms and open space extensions to penetrate light throughout the interiors.

What was your concept for the rooftop amenity deck on the West Tower?

The concept for the rooftop amenity deck started with the belief that One Montgomery Plaza should be a vertical community. We really want the deck to be more than a traditional swimming pool location. We want to break it down to become a multiplicity of experiences for every resident. It is a tool for living where residents can enjoy the amenity deck in a variety of ways from dining to quiet conversations to parties to sun bathing all day.

----------

And here's that rendering of the rooftop deck:

IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#23 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:31 PM

Apparently, the Montgomery Plaza condos will be available in three "themes" - Morning, Noon, and Night, with each theme getting distinctive flooring, cabinets, counters, etc. etc. etc. I will have more info soon.

--

Kara B.

#24 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:45 PM

I have just received this look at a unit inside the Montgomery Plaza condo project:

IPB Image

I have also received new information on the design of the condos at Montgomery Plaza.

As previously reported, the units will feature ceiling heights of 12-16 feet, depending on floor. The windows in the units will be between 9-12 feet, again depending on floor. Newly revealed are the "themes" available for buyers to customize the appearance of their condos. One Montgomery Plaza will offer three "themes" - Morning, Noon, and Night.

Morning features a color scheme heavy on white and pale beige. This theme features hardwood floors in Maple or Moabi. Noon is a bit darker, with flooring in Brazilian Cherry or Wenge. Night, the darkest of the themes, features flooring in Black Oak or Doussie. The flooring, of course, is just an example - the themes extend to all the trim and finishes in the condos, with things such as cabinetry, counters, and tile flooring areas in their own Morning, Noon, or Night colors.

Another little bit of interior design information: kitchens will feature glass-tiled backsplashes and glass-topped breakfast bars.

--

Kara B.

#25 jmilam

jmilam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:53 PM

Very nice. But, I bet I won't be able to afford it... smile.gif

#26 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

Any clues to pricing?

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#27 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(David Love @ Jan 26 2007, 12:23 PM) View Post

Any clues to pricing?

Just the previously mentioned "low $200,000s to around $700,000" range.

--

Kara B.

#28 jmilam

jmilam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:39 PM

I actually talked to a sales person a few weeks ago, and she said they were now looking at starting in the high 200,000, which probably means 299,999 smile.gif

#29 jmilam

jmilam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:23 AM

I just got on a special link for presales this weekend and the price range is from $185K for 807 sf to $1,450K for 4918 sf. It seems that the prices in the MP building are comparable to the T & P based upon price per sf, depending upon the location, (interior vs. exterior and what floor the unit is on). The floor plans are very nice IMHO...

#30 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:43 PM

Why can't they just sell the shells?
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#31 jmilam

jmilam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Feb 26 2007, 11:43 PM) View Post

Why can't they just sell the shells?

I can understand how some would want to design their own, but you would have to have some pretty stiff design and finish out restrictions, along with deadlines for completion after purchase. I for one would not want to purchase a unit and then find out, someone next door put in vinyl flooring, cheap cabinets, etc.

The selections for finish out seem to be very flexible as presented on the website.

#32 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:37 PM

It seems like I remember someone mentioning in the T&P thread that it would be difficult to get financing for a condo that is not finished out.

#33 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:02 AM

The money to be made is in selling finished units, not shells. It would be different if they were building the place from scratch. I also understand that they cannot commence the finish-out without a 50% presale situation. Has anyone else heard this?

#34 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:54 PM

Some details from the secret VIP site:

Not only are the units available in the Morning, Noon, and Night color schemes, but are divided at a higher level into Urban and Estate homes. Some of the differences between the two:

Kitchens:
URBAN HOMES
· Maple cabinetry in three color choices, stainless steel pulls
· Granite countertops in Autumn Harmony (Morning), Tan Brown (Noon), or Indian Premium Black (Night)
· Glass mosaic backsplash tiles in Snowdrift Gloss
· Bar counter in clear annealed glass
· Dropped wooden ceilings over the bar with pendant lighting
· GE Profile stainless steel appliances: dual-fuel slide-in range, 36” refrigerator, built-in dishwasher
· Blanco stainless steel undermount sink with Blanco pull-down spray chrome faucet
· 16” x 16” porcelain tile in Matte Moka Levigato or Perla Avorio Levigato Lucido
ESTATE HOMES*
· Cherry wood cabinetry in three color choices, glass inserts in the uppers, stainless steel pulls
· Granite countertops in Kodiak (Morning), Labrador Antique (Noon), and Marron Cohiba (Night)
· Glass mosaic backsplash tiles in Moka Lux or Avorioi Lux
· Bar counter in acid-etched glass with stainless steel hardware
· Dropped wooden ceilings over the bar with pendant lighting
· GE Monogram stainless steel appliances: 36” cooktop, counterdepth 25 cu ft refrigerator, 30" self-clean convection wall oven, wine captain, dishwasher with hidden controls and 30” microwave
· Blanco stainless steel undermount sink with Elkay Arezzo faucet
· 24” x 24” porcelain tile in copper or beige

Bathrooms:
URBAN HOMES
· Floating wall-mounted cabinetry in maple with Morning, Noon or Night finishes
· Granite countertops in Autumn Harmony (Morning), Tan Brown (Noon), or Indian Premium Black (Night)
· Vitreous square vessel china sink with wall-mounted faucet in polished chrome
· Kohler soaking tub
· Bath wall tiles in 4” x 18” in gold or brown
· Shower walls in 2” x 2” mosaic tiles in gold or brown
· Kohler lavatory
· Polished chrome accessories

ESTATE HOMES*
· Floating wall-mounted cabinetry in cherry wood with Morning, Noon or Night finishes
· Granite countertops in Kodiak (Morning), Labrador Antique (Noon), or Marron Cohiba (Night)
· Vitreous round vessel china sink with high-arc faucet in polished chrome
· Kohler whirlpool tub
· Kohler lavatory
· Shower walls and floors and fullheight vanity wall in 2” x 2” mosaic
interglass tiles in storm or matte
· Bath wall tiles in limestone, full height, 6” x 18” in Isis cream or Camango
· Limestone floor tiles in large format 18” x 18” in Isis cream or Camango
· Polished chrome accessories

Living:
URBAN HOMES
· Kahrs Studio Collection hardwood flooring in Black Oak (Morning), Brazilian Cherry Natural (Noon) or Hard Maple Rustic (Night) in living areas
· Masland Energy Fusion carpeting in the bedrooms in Physics
(Morning). Unite (Noon) or Mixture (Night) in the bedrooms
ESTATE HOMES*
· Kahrs Exotic Collection wide-plank hardwood flooring in Wenge Nairobi
City (Morning), Doussie Dakar City (Noon), or Moabi Zanzibar City (Night) in all living areas
· Colonial Maple or Bombay Teak wood veneer wall covering with
an 18’ x 18’ area allowance
· Masland Energy Groove carpeting in the bedrooms in Corrugate
(Morning), Score (noon) or Trench (Night) in the bedrooms

The project's Media Room features 24 seats and a 10-foot screen for DVD playing.

--

Kara B.

#35 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:39 PM

Is there no end to the stream of disappointments this project will bring to me?

Estate homes?! Carpeting?! Drop Ceiling?! Beige?! The only thing missing is crown molding, but I'm sure they'll take care of that before move-in.

Are we completely incapable of building and living in true urban spaces? Oh, what it must have been like to buy and live in an actual warehouse loft in SoHo back in the 80s.

Thank you Weber, KimCo, and FW City Council for taking one of the city's most unique urban properties and turning it into Plano. madgo.gif

#36 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(Sam Stone @ Mar 5 2007, 02:39 PM) View Post

Estate homes?! Carpeting?! Drop Ceiling?! Beige?! The only thing missing is crown molding, but I'm sure they'll take care of that before move-in.

Are we completely incapable of building and living in true urban spaces? Oh, what it must have been like to buy and live in an actual warehouse loft in SoHo back in the 80s.

Thank you Weber, KimCo, and FW City Council for taking one of the city's most unique urban properties and turning it into Plano. madgo.gif

I am also a bit confused at the route they're taking with the condos - I would have expected - and much preferred - real lofts out of such a structure, rather than the posh finished-out approach they're taking.

--

Kara B.

#37 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

^^^^
I have to agree, they sound more like luxury townhomes, not urban lofts. But it does go well with the rest of the surburban theme of MP. dry.gif I agree with Sam, Montgomery Plaza could have been incredible, but its turned into a complete massacre.

Further's my opinion, that the T&P is the best urban residential project in FW...IMO.

#38 Shocker

Shocker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Mar 5 2007, 05:57 PM) View Post

^^^^
I have to agree, they sound more like luxury townhomes, not urban lofts. But it does go well with the rest of the surburban theme of MP. dry.gif I agree with Sam, Montgomery Plaza could have been incredible, but its turned into a complete massacre.

Further's my opinion, that the T&P is the best urban residential project in FW...IMO.

Dead on. What a disappointment. I thought a true urban style loft would go nicely with what they are about to construct across the street at SO7. Sadly, I'm afraid it may set the tone for the rest of the future 7th Street development.

#39 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:38 PM

You guys are SOO OOFFF! Kahrs flooring??? (very pricey---about the most expensive wood floor around!) Maple cabs, floating cabinets, glass and granite countertops? Stainless kitchens with glass backspalsh? They have a VERY urban edge-y finish, with the only carpet in the bedrooms...Ease up, it's a contemporary finish schedule---and very expensive bill of materials. I'm in the business, and I'm impressed. Lighten up, ya'll.

#40 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE(redhead @ Mar 5 2007, 11:38 PM) View Post

You guys are SOO OOFFF! Kahrs flooring??? (very pricey---about the most expensive wood floor around!) Maple cabs, floating cabinets, glass and granite countertops? Stainless kitchens with glass backspalsh? They have a VERY urban edge-y finish, with the only carpet in the bedrooms...Ease up, it's a contemporary finish schedule---and very expensive bill of materials. I'm in the business, and I'm impressed. Lighten up, ya'll.

What everyone has to realize is that the developers are catering to the people that have shown the most interest. In the FWBP article this week, it is talked about the fact that many of the potential buyers are older. My ~60 year old parents are on the list for an appointment early next week, and they've been more excited about the project than any young person I know. People like this are living in nice houses currently, and they want something similar when they move.

As cool as the thought is of the true SoHo loft feel, the reality is that the buyers in this price range don't want that. True lofts are going to be coming from warehouses on the South Side or somewhere with a lower profile, where the developer doesn't have to charge $200+ per foot to make money.

I'm not loving what I see, but I'm not hating it either. And I have a feeling that the places are going to look a lot better than they sound in the above descriptions. Redhead is right...it appears at least that they're doing it right with the materials as far as quality.

#41 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:18 AM

^^^
I'm not hating it at all, they sound very nice. I just don't think this type of development suites this particular building, which IMO, screams urban lofts. I think the newly built products would be more in line to what the older buyers are looking for. I still think this building is being developed by the wrong people.

#42 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:11 AM

I trust Redhead's opinion. I can picture more or less what they described and it does all sound very nice and modern and chic. I just don't think that the luxe treatment is the most appropriate for this building, or at least the whole building. And I understand about the interest and making their money back and who might be moving there.

What I had envisioned for the site was actually a bigger residential component. Had they put all the adjacent streets through, they could have created a half a dozen full sized blocks plus a handful of irregularly shaped ones and put up townhomes on them a la Trinity Bluffs. Or, they could have had condos with retail on the groundfloor, or some mix of the two. Picture the west village in Dallas. These could have been very upscale, expensive, and luxurious and had the interiors that the warehouse building is getting. In turn, the warehouse could have been kept very spare. The ground floor and mezzanine of the warehouse could held a giant gym like 24 hr Fitness that would have had a lot of built in customers from all the residential in the project. They could also have put a movie theater in there like Magnolia or Angelika. And, the city in exchange for giving away all that money, could have gotten something in return, like guaranteeing that a portion of the units were set aside for affordable housing. And you could still have a Super Target and Ross and Pet Smart. I've seen a two-story Target with cart escalators, with my own eyes. Yeah, you would have had to build structured parking, but the city could have defrayed a lot of that cost by leasing it for public use like Sundance.

#43 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(Sam Stone @ Mar 6 2007, 01:11 PM) View Post

The ground floor and mezzanine of the warehouse could held a giant gym like 24 hr Fitness that would have had a lot of built in customers from all the residential in the project.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks a nice large fitness center would work well on the near West Side. A 24 Hour Sport or similar, with child-care services, would be incredible. It would be great if something like that could be included in one of the Museum Place buildings, or possibly the Acme project.

#44 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(Sam Stone @ Mar 6 2007, 01:11 PM) View Post

They could also have put a movie theater in there like Magnolia or Angelika.

Agreed. I've remained friends with a old coworker who lives in Arlington Heights. For the past few years, we meet a least once, sometimes twice a month in Dallas to check out an independant (art) film he wants to see. I saw something on tv the other day that talked about the increased popularity of independant films and the theaters that show them. FW is screaming for a Magnolia. My friend and I were both floored when that Angelika was built in Plano and not FW. However, we have been there twice to see a movie....it's nice.

#45 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:33 PM

Isn't a movie theater in the plans for So7 or Museum Place?

#46 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(hooked @ Mar 6 2007, 01:33 PM) View Post

Isn't a movie theater in the plans for So7 or Museum Place?

I believe it's been Museum Place mentioned as the location for a new movie theater of some sort.

--

Kara B.

#47 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:00 PM

I think that Cypress Equities is planning a large movie theater for their development. I am thinking a Rave would probably fit the style they are going for. Also there was some talk about the Museum Place having a theater but probably on a smaller scale.

#48 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE(redhead @ Mar 5 2007, 09:38 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Sam Stone @ Mar 6 2007, 11:11 AM) View Post

I trust Redhead's opinion. I can picture more or less what they described and it does all sound very nice and modern and chic. I just don't think that the luxe treatment is the most appropriate for this building, or at least the whole building. And I understand about the interest and making their money back and who might be moving there.

I’m going to hold off on a full review until I go see them for myself. The images I’ve seen so far do seem in line with what I had expected, from a quality level they are well above what I’ve seen so far in anything downtown, which does seem to warrant the pricing I’ve seen.

There is a good market for that style and level of amenities and it seems they’re just about the only ones testing that market downtown, the Neil P is skirting it.

I’m still out on the location so once I can do a walk around and take some pictures I’ll have some more input.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#49 Shocker

Shocker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:05 PM

Don't get me wrong, from the images I've seen and what I've read I think the interiors are VERY nice. Just not what should go in a warehouse in my opinion. Sounds more like what should go across the street. Or what SHOULD have gone in The Tower.

#50 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE(Sam Stone @ Mar 5 2007, 02:39 PM) View Post

Why do y'all care what they do inside unless you were hoping to buy?

I can understand your fussing about the exterior/parking lots not meeting your urban vision since that affects you as you drive by or use the development.

Obviously the developers are finishing these out so that they can get big bucks for them. They've probably done their market research. This is FW not NY. You can't force "coolness" so fast.

As for the old SoHo loft thing. They were originally cheap/large spaces in vacant buildings outfitted by the hip crowd of lesser income. Now days I bet they have also been "upgraded" for the trendies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users