Photo
- - - - -

100 Block of S. Main (W A Powers buildings)

Near Southside

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:47 AM

A few buildings along the first stretch of S. Main after entering the neighborhood from downtown are getting new life. The project is called SoMa (south main) which on top of being a bit cheezy also shares it's name with a women's lingerie shop.... (Which lead to some distracting and confusing results when googling around for more info on this project)

It looks like the buildings will all have ground level retail and the 2 floor building will have offices on that 2nd floor. However, the restoration of these old buildings is only phase one, a 2nd phase can be seen to the north as a larger building, but I cant really tell what it is or find anything else on it. 

This is an important site, being the gateway to Near South and only a block from the T&P station, so I'm excited to see some development and preservation here.

VGyctKB.jpg

As you can tell 97W is the architect.

#2 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

SoMa is also a name of an area in SF. South of Market

#3 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

A few buildings along the first stretch of S. Main after entering the neighborhood from downtown are getting new life. The project is called SoMa (south main) which on top of being a bit cheezy also shares it's name with a women's lingerie shop.... (Which lead to some distracting and confusing results when googling around for more info on this project)....

I assume that the building has (1) an address; and (2) a historical name.

Now unless the address is "666" or has a socially incorrect name, then why not just keep the name of the property simple and unpretentious?

#4 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

I believe I heard that the Powers family still owns both the building and the conveyor/caster business, but the younger generation (daughter/granddaughter of founder?) doesn't want to continue the conveyor/caster business.  Instead, she'd like to develop the buildings to retail/mixed use, and is eager to do that now that Main Street construction is nearly complete. 

I heard that Stir Crazy Baked Goods talked to Powers about moving into an expanded space there, across from their original shop (which they have since closed after opening their Magnolia location) on Daggett.  Doing so was apparently overcome by events when Main Street construction dragged on and I'm not sure if Stir Crazy would come back to South Main at this point.

To go off on a tangent, in looking stuff up for this post, there is apparently a new venture, Loft22 Cakes, in the old Stir Crazy location on Daggett.

My blog: Doohickie

#5 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:39 AM

How many bakeries does this town need?

#6 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

As many as we can get. Lol

#7 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

All of them.  :D

It's a valid business, so as long as they make it, why complain?  I did a bit of internet sleuthing and apparently Loft22 is very distinct from Stir Crazy.  First of all, Loft22 is primarily (perhaps only?) about cakes and nothing else, while Stir Crazy does custom cakes but also makes baked goods meant to be eaten on site at their Magnolia store.  Also, Stir Crazy does custom cakes, but their style is very "home baked" like something your grandmother might have made.  Loft22's are "artistic + edgy" per their FB page.  So their cakes fill a different niche than Stir Crazy's do.

And Fort Worth is a growing city.  You see more bars and restaurants and no one really worries about that; you're going to see more dry cleaners, grocery stores, bike shops and yeah, bakeries.  More people means more merchants.

#8 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

We're bidding this. Trying to lock down all of Near South lol.

#9 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

I sure don"t mind.

Waaaay too much to work with in this area and waaaay too much potential... 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#10 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

And should you prevail as has been done Downtown,  will there be a "Magnolia Square?" :swg:

#11 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:21 AM

Okay, but just don't call it Magnolia. ;)

#12 supersleuth901

supersleuth901

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:42 PM

Lori and Tucker Henderson are [one of] the owners, Lori is the daughter of WA Powers, they own the whole block.  Her and her sister have bought the property from their dad and uncle to transform into upscale retail.  I've talked to them and they never once mentioned the SoMa name, so I think thats just what everyone else is calling it.  Lori and her husband and kids live in a really cool industrial loft on the property, so you know they will be dedicated to making sure this is a fantastic development.  We looked at the space here - theres plans for a restaurant or two, 2nd location of a FW bar (upscale) and more retail space.  The corner of S Main and Vickery will stay parking.  In the rendering, I believe in the background is additional parking across Vickery, which will continue to be an issue with so many restaurants going in on S Main.  Lori said WA Powers will shift their operations to the back half of the block as they start to develop it.  It's one of the better long term plans for S Main developments, with 411 S Main not far behind.

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:03 PM

At this point it seems like every single building along S. Main has develpment plans. An exciting time.

#14 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:10 AM

Okay, but just don't call it Magnolia. ;)

We're not developing it....just bidding on the construction :)

#15 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

At this point it seems like every single building along S. Main has develpment plans. An exciting time.

What about this block (east side of S. Main, south of Broadway)?  The buildings have so much potential.

#16 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

What about this block (east side of S. Main, south of Broadway)?  The buildings have so much potential.

Yep, 97w is doing the architecture work on that block to.

http://www.kcpfunds..../wwwkcpfundscom

#17 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:05 AM

Sweet.  They've had the building only a few months, so it's just starting.

#18 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:31 PM

There was an open house at W.A. Powers this afternoon that I wouldn't have known about if I hadn't accidentally stumbled upon it.  I wasn't there for the whole thing, but I did get to see some additional renderings and an animation.

The new construction portion of this project extends out to the corner of Main & Vickery, and is mostly 3 stories but has a portion that is 4 stories tall.  I didn't see/hear all of the retailers that will be involved, but one was a new concept from the Taco Heads folks and one was a men's clothier/provisions company.  

It also looks like there will be a walkway leading from the sidewalk along main street that connects to an outdoor seating area that runs the length of the block in the alley and includes a play area for kids.  

I didn't hear or see a definitive timeline, but it sounded like work is going to start very soon.

#19 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:52 PM

There was an even in this block on Wed (4/5); I think they said it was a birthday party.  There was a cop at the door and valet parking.  I don't know if this will be an event space going forward or if it was just something the owners did for themselves or a friend.  It looked like a pretty big space, although it was open air.  The entry was through the two oversized doors at the center of the link I posted.  Looking again at Google maps, there is no roof over that section of the building.

#20 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:20 PM

What is Main Street's completion date?

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:32 AM

Doohickie- I believe that area is another development by a different developer. http://www.6thavehomes.com/411/

#22 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:15 PM

Ah, so 97w doesn't own the whole thing.

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:25 PM

97w is the architect on The 411 to.

#24 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:36 PM

Confusing.

#25 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

Confusing.

Does this help?

h1Gtl5A.png

#26 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

A few buildings along the first stretch of S. Main after entering the neighborhood from downtown are getting new life. The project is called SoMa (south main) which on top of being a bit cheezy also shares it's name with a women's lingerie shop.... (Which lead to some distracting and confusing results when googling around for more info on this project)....

I assume that the building has (1) an address; and (2) a historical name.

Now unless the address is "666" or has a socially incorrect name, then why not just keep the name of the property simple and unpretentious?

97w is the architect on The 411 to.

"Four Eleven" ...Like it! Simple and straight to the point.

#27 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:56 PM

We just walked the project with 97W and the owner. I haven't been that far down Main in a while. Holy cow, this is going to be the next happening place in Fort Worth. The transformation is shocking.

#28 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:42 PM

We just walked the project with 97W and the owner. I haven't been that far down Main in a while. Holy cow, this is going to be the next happening place in Fort Worth. The transformation is shocking.

An exciting area for sure. These complete streets projects seem too wonderful investments by the city. By my count, there are around 1,200 apartment units within a half mile of the S. Main & Broadway intersection, and an abundance of new retail and restaurant spaces coming online. 

#29 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

An exciting area for sure. These complete streets projects seem too wonderful investments by the city. By my count, there are around 1,200 apartment units within a half mile of the S. Main & Broadway intersection, and an abundance of new retail and restaurant spaces coming online. 

Yeah, it's rapidly being overbuilt on the MF side, but there's a huge need for retail/commercial office...... it's exciting to see the complete and total transformation.

#30 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:32 PM

Here's a photo of a rendering of the building at the north end of the block (facebook link)

https://www.facebook...?type=3

#31 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:10 PM

Yeah, it's rapidly being overbuilt on the MF side, but there's a huge need for retail/commercial office...... it's exciting to see the complete and total transformation.

Not sure I agree with "rapidly being overbuilt on MF side" but we'll all have to see.  As you know, it will depend on how staggered the completions are of the new buildings.  If they open at the same moment there will be some pressure on rents downward for a short period.  Since interest rates are expected to rise it should make it even harder for people to buy their own homes, inspiring more people to be renters.  And, given the population growth in Fort Worth, we actually NEED this new housing supply.   Another question is if the developers get the unit mix and unit designs right.  I like what you guys have built - hope to see more of the small MF projects in urban Fort Worth. 

#32 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

Not sure I agree with "rapidly being overbuilt on MF side" but we'll all have to see.  As you know, it will depend on how staggered the completions are of the new buildings.  If they open at the same moment there will be some pressure on rents downward for a short period.  Since interest rates are expected to rise it should make it even harder for people to buy their own homes, inspiring more people to be renters.  And, given the population growth in Fort Worth, we actually NEED this new housing supply.   Another question is if the developers get the unit mix and unit designs right.  I like what you guys have built - hope to see more of the small MF projects in urban Fort Worth. 

I didn't say it was overbuilt, I said its rapidly being overbuilt. There are a ton of new MF project slated to start in that area. We feel the pressure on our deals over there, rent concessions are up, rent rates have leveled out (or even dropped a bit) while land prices have jumped significantly. Those are all signs of an area being over developed too quickly. Then again, what do I know? I've only been doing this for 20+ years... 

#33 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:00 PM

We were selected for this project. Looking to try and get it going in a few weeks, pending permits.

#34 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:59 PM

Nice.  That is in the heart of the early Near Southside redevelopment (Stir Crazy Baked Goods original location, Trinity Bicycles before it moved downtown, Shipping & Receiving and Amphibian Theater nearby); I like to think that it will blossom anew with the Powers complex coming into play.  Do you know if any of it will be built to be a bakery?  I now Stir Crazy was talking to the Powers people about moving across the street prior to their move to Magnolia.

#35 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:13 AM

Nice.  That is in the heart of the early Near Southside redevelopment (Stir Crazy Baked Goods original location, Trinity Bicycles before it moved downtown, Shipping & Receiving and Amphibian Theater nearby); I like to think that it will blossom anew with the Powers complex coming into play.  Do you know if any of it will be built to be a bakery?  I now Stir Crazy was talking to the Powers people about moving across the street prior to their move to Magnolia.

We're not doing the TI work as of right now. Not sure who's moving in there, sorry.

#36 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

No worries. 

I rode down Main a couple nights ago.  the new street lights make it look great after dark.  Really looking forward to redevelopment progressing.

#37 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

Is all the reconstruction of Main Street done?

#38 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

Not 100%, but probably about 98%.  The pavement is done.  The sidewalk is done.  Most of the brick inlay treatments near the curbs are done.  I think there will be landscaping (trees, etc.) that needs to be planted.  The lights are done on the northern portion; closer to Rosedale they look like their up (or mostly up) but not yet lit.  Other than the lighting, the only remaining things to be done are cosmetic.

#39 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

I should also point out that FWPD is patrolling it vigorously.  It's got almost no traffic, I think the speed limit is 35 or something like that, but with the new pavement there is a temptation to go much faster than that.  They seem to be trying to keep it from becoming a speedway.  They're also patrolling the stop signs at Pennsylvania.

#40 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:11 PM

Thanks Doohickie, that's good to hear! I've been trying talk my girlfriend into moving to that area. She said it seems a bit rough there, I tend to disagree. I can't wait until it starts all coming together.

#41 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:09 PM

Thanks Doohickie, that's good to hear! I've been trying talk my girlfriend into moving to that area. She said it seems a bit rough there, I tend to disagree. I can't wait until it starts all coming together.

I think it looking "rough" is the allure to the area, but like you said I disagree with it actually being rough. There are some signs and remnants of it's rough past, but you don't move to this area for it's homogeneity. I think people move to the area because of the urban and historic vibe it has plus it's proximity to downtown and to Magnolia.

Once my lease is up early next year my partner and I will be doing so.

#42 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:54 PM

There are several decidedly not "rough" apartment buildings in the area.

#43 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

Taco Heads announcement

http://www.fwtx.com/...-near-southside

Tinies_WEB.png?itok=YIqKEgS6

#44 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

I thought there were going to open on Vickery. 

Looks like a little more upscale than the original Taco Heads.

#45 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

Another tenant.

https://m.facebook.c...tulaTikiLounge/

#46 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:34 AM

The Micro Park is moving this week. https://www.nearsout...-is-on-the-move

Micropark2resize.jpg

#47 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:06 PM

The Micro Park is moving this week. https://www.nearsout...-is-on-the-move

Micropark2resize.jpg

Does this mean we should expect ground breaking on the hotel where the park was/is along Magnolia to be "any day" now?

#48 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:18 PM

Last I saw they were working on vacating of a couple of alleys.

#49 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:54 PM

Does this mean the giant pink sculpture of... uh... a certain female object is moving?

-Dylan

#50 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:10 PM

Good news.... but even better news knowing that it is moving to make way for the boutique hotel on Magnolia. That to me is the more exciting news from the article.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users