Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:59 PM

From "Funky Town Development" 

3968%20W%20Vickery%20Rendering.jpg?itok=

Article

Developer Funky Town Development is planning to rehab an old automotive building at 3968 West Vickery Blvd., turning it into an approximately 5,000-square-foot mixed-use facility. The building design isn’t finished yet, but developer Trey Neville said the building will have a “sleek” and “modern” design. 

He said he pictures the development to have boutiques and artisan shops. A few tenants are already in talks to lease space. One possible tenant is proposing a sandwich shop, but nothing has been finalized yet, Neville said.

Construction is expected to start in early 2017 and finish later that year, he said.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#2 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:34 PM

There is actually a lot of stuff going in in this area. There are a copy of new buildings that have been completed or under construction. 1 at the corner of Montgomery & CTP and the other where Vickery splits going West right before Montgomery. There are also several other lots in the vicinity that have been cleared.

#3 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:09 PM

I was going to make it about the entire area, but I had no idea there was more going up.

I may change the title of this thread...

7fwPZnE.png

#4 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

Somewhat related note- I just read on the neighborhood Nextdoor page that Fort Worth Billiards is moving to West Vickery, and someone said the owners of the Dairy Queen have been offered a large sum to sell, and are going to accept it.....

Ft. Worth Billiards has been working to move to the former location of Jobob Automotive Repair at 3970 W Vickery Blvd.

I noticed some demolition work beginning on this project this week. Looks like visual progress is beginning.

(is there another thread for developments/projects on Vickery?)

I think that this thread can serve as the place to post projects in the West Vickery Blvd Area. 

Would describing the WVBA the Railyard District be an acceptable name?

#5 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:49 PM

Wow... it's been more than 2 years since anything else was poster here. 

7fwPZnE.png

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

But now, it has good bones and could be a next candidate for development. 

Hope that you are okay with it being dubbed the Railyard District.

#7 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:05 PM

But now, it has good bones and could be a next candidate for development. 

Hope that you are okay with it being dubbed the Railyard District.

How about Montgomery Crossing?

#8 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:55 PM

The West Vickery is mostly defined by its proximity to the railroad from Forest Park Blvd to Bryant Irvin Road.  Something to signify this association, like the river lends character  and association to the River District.

How about "The Railhead District?"

#9 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 04:51 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if something "Rail" related was used to name this district, if/when it becomes one. 

7fwPZnE.png

#10 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:51 AM

The West Vickery is mostly defined by its proximity to the railroad from Forest Park Blvd to Bryant Irvin Road.  Something to signify this association, like the river lends character  and association to the River District.

How about "The Railhead District?"

Yes.  That is why I chose Crossing because to me that is railroad related.  The only issue I see with using Railhead in the name is that many businesses that may come in would think that it is showing preference to Railhead BBQ and they may find that off-putting.

#11 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:27 AM

I would go with something that ties it back to Downtown, this is a gateway area to Downtown Proper and I think will eventually be a booming area bridging the North and south sides of Downtown Ft Worth.  Southgate (Southern Gateway) SoDo (southern downtown) 

#12 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:37 AM

West Vickery Blvd?

I always associate WVB with the ever present sights and sounds of the one of the largest rail yard operations in Texas if not the U.S.  The Davidson/Centennial Rail Yard envelopes its immediate surroundings.  As a economic force in Fort Worth and this corner of the City, branding the area as a "rail" associated district would not be irrational.

https://www.uprr.com...eb_davidson.pdf

#13 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:06 AM

Somewhat related note- I just read on the neighborhood Nextdoor page that Fort Worth Billiards is moving to West Vickery, and someone said the owners of the Dairy Queen have been offered a large sum to sell, and are going to accept it.....

Ft. Worth Billiards has been working to move to the former location of Jobob Automotive Repair at 3970 W Vickery Blvd.

I noticed some demolition work beginning on this project this week. Looks like visual progress is beginning.

(is there another thread for developments/projects on Vickery?)

I think that this thread can serve as the place to post projects in the West Vickery Blvd Area. 

Would describing the WVBA the Railyard District be an acceptable name?

Fort Worth Billiards is targeting a fall opening

https://www.star-tel...e231992812.html

#14 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 08:44 AM

There are two construction projects on Vickery, one 3 or 4 blocks east of Hulen that looks like a castle, and one next to Crossfit. They're visible from the CTP but haven't been close enough to see what they are. Has anyone heard?

#15 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:19 AM

The sign next to one of the new projects, I don't remember which one, states it will be a storage building.  Yeah, another storage building.

#16 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:29 AM

Ah, the building under construction on Vickery east of Hulen (around 4300 block of W. Vickery). 

The architecture appears to be medieval revival, inspired by the strip centers built in England during the 13th-14th Centuries.  The roof line appears to have crenelated battlements, constructed using the age-old materials of styrofoam and dryvit.  In case of attack by a rival business, the occupants surely will be better protected than if they had used less cartoonish design. 

#17 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:13 AM

The building under construction in the 4300 Block of W. Vickery is next door to our old building, Vickery Creek at 4388. 

#18 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:06 PM

I see that castle building twice a day from the CTP -- there is a good view from that road.

But I tried to snap pictures from Vickery on the way home from lunch yesterday.  It does not give the proper proportions of the building, but it gives you a sense of the style.

It has ADC Design Build Group and signs, and the city listed it in one of those reports as a commercial (retail) shell building.

MUo24f.jpg

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:31 PM

I've driven by it a couple of times since they started construction, and as it was being framed and built, I thought it was a little out of place.

#20 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:54 PM

I did not really understand the need for the theme-park like construction as I've watched it go up -- it is pretty prominent in the CTP view -- I'd hoped that something might tie it together; that some business would move in that had a connection with the style or what the style brings to mind.

As people who use CTP know, spotting it from the CTP is a long ways from actually getting to it:  1.8 miles and 4 traffic lights if you are going east and 3.4 miles 5 traffic lights, a roundabout, and a busy street if you are going west -- longer if you have noticed it before you line up with it (which you will).

For sure it will be easy to describe which building to go to -- and maybe that is what they are going for.  The final finishes and who the tenants are will shape my opinion, but I'm sure they must have had something on their mind to take this approach.

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

Nice to see Dreamvision finally get built

#22 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 03:02 PM

Yeah, there is a "never-never- land" air about this one. :unsure:

#23 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 22 July 2022 - 08:23 AM

Cousin's Cleaners at 4100 W. Vickery razing permit.  Looks like the guy across the street (convenience store) owns this property too.

Record PV22-00259: 
Commercial Razing Permit
Record Status: Issued

Permit Address

Project Description:
COMMERCIAL WRECKING 6000 SQ.FT.

FPwTQnR.png

#24 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 July 2022 - 11:31 AM

Cousin's Cleaners at 4100 W. Vickery razing permit.  Looks like the guy across the street (convenience store) owns this property too.

Record PV22-00259: 
Commercial Razing Permit
Record Status: Issued

Permit Address

Project Description:
COMMERCIAL WRECKING 6000 SQ.FT.

FPwTQnR.png

So happy this eyesore fire hazard is being torn down 

#25 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 22 July 2022 - 11:41 AM

It was probably an interesting looking building when it was being taken care of properly.  You know a business sign is outdated when it doesn't have an area code with the phone number.

#26 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 22 July 2022 - 12:08 PM

I always ignore that when driving by, but... yeah, that needed to go even before it was abandoned. 

7fwPZnE.png

#27 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 22 July 2022 - 12:11 PM

Probably the redeeming quality are the lighted sign and the TV antenna which have a cool look from times gone by:

https://goo.gl/maps/WmjWN1BR5ZheRLFT8

#28 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 July 2022 - 04:34 PM

There's an excavator in the parking lot as of this afternoon. That thing's days are numbered.

TBH I kind of like it, it's a type of building which is super rare nowadays and you never see them restored. Then again I'm fairly certain it's all rotten and and ready to come down.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alamo Heights, Restaurant, Retail, West Vickery, Chisholm Trail Parkway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users