Photo
- - - - -

La Grave Field: Doin's are a transpirin!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Call me Arch Stanton

Call me Arch Stanton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 12:26 PM

Today is the first day to purchase individual game tickets for Cats games, I'm a little unclear on what all is going on out there, but I know tickets can be bought until 4:00 pm, and out in the parking lot there'll be some music, the schedule is at this link:

http://www.fwcats.co...files/bbq05.htm

I'm pretty sure I'll be out there around four or five to check it out. I do want a chance to see the Kurt South band...

#2 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (Call me Arch Stanton @ Apr 2 2005, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Today is the first day to purchase individual game tickets for Cats games, I'm a little unclear on what all is going on out there, but I know tickets can be bought until 4:00 pm, and out in the parking lot there'll be some music, the schedule is at this link:

http://www.fwcats.co...files/bbq05.htm

I'm pretty sure I'll be out there around four or five to check it out. I do want a chance to see the Kurt South band...

A look at La Grave Field this evening. Starting to look a bit like the Denver airport to me. I don't know what the occasion is (or was).

Had never been to a Cats game before and then went 5 times this year. (4 paid and a freebie) I'm sold. We are already looking forward to next year. It is too bad that they were the Champions every year before we started going to games and then not this year. I do hope that my crunching on peanuts was not a distraction for them.

www.fortworthview.com

#3 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Oct 5 2008, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had never been to a Cats game before and then went 5 times this year. (4 paid and a freebie) I'm sold. We are already looking forward to next year. It is too bad that they were the Champions every year before we started going to games and then not this year. I do hope that my crunching on peanuts were not a distraction for them.

So you were the guy making all that noise? :-)

We went to a few games in 2007, our first summer in FW, then 18 (!!) this year. Addictive, isn't it? I'm already humming Fogerty's "Centerfield" waiting for next season, LOL.

Another great photo from your perch, BTW.

#4 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:21 PM

It's a good old fashion Swap Meet. (Car parts, best I can tell.) Was thinking this activity was Stock Show related until I put my 400mm on the case.

www.fortworthview.com

#5 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:06 PM

They set up there rather regularly, they have a LOT of stuff there, a lot more under the covered areas just north of that shot, oddly I've even seen computer hardware there.

The city should build a pedestrian bridge or a stop light with a cross walk there on Henderson, lots of people walking back and forth dodging traffic, people trying to turn into that place from one direction or turn the other to park and walk back across. Have seen a lot of families with toddlers and baby carriages making mad dashes.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#6 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (David Love @ Feb 1 2009, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They set up there rather regularly, they have a LOT of stuff there, a lot more under the covered areas just north of that shot, oddly I've even seen computer hardware there.

The city should build a pedestrian bridge or a stop light with a cross walk there on Henderson, lots of people walking back and forth dodging traffic, people trying to turn into that place from one direction or turn the other to park and walk back across. Have seen a lot of families with toddlers and baby carriages making mad dashes.

David, I think you are confusing this shot of La Grave field with that icky flea market off of Henderson that happens every Sunday. (Where they sell fake Drivers Licenses, used mattresses and roosters.)

And I agree, they need a bridge across Henderson. That gets really dangerous there. I am surprised I have not heard of more incidents from that location.
www.fortworthview.com

#7 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:43 AM

Instead of a pedestrian bridge, they should slow down Henderson.

--

Kara B.

#8 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:13 PM

The Texas Tea Party. (Spending and Tax Protest) Unfortunately as a CPA I was doing too many taxes to go. Can see the HUGE turnout from my balcony.

Traffic Jam...

Filling up fast. (6:30pm)

www.fortworthview.com

#9 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

So FW's LaGrave Field is a 21st century Boston Harbor? So was Austin City Hall today. Lots of folks. Even in the blue island of Texas. Gov. Goodhair suggested secession. Never thought I'd hear that from an elected official - a governor of a United States state, no less - in my lifetime. Any thoughts from this forum? I would say this is a bit more serious than the national pundits are noting.

#10 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

Good Grief, Charlie Brown!

#11 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

Will the Water District get into the sports venue leasing business as well as urban redevelopment? Will Near-Northside development funds flow to baseball team owner? It looks to me as if the water district management is saying the right things to the public and the press. Might be interesting to see how this plays out. I enjoy going to the Cat's games but hate seeing the owner posing for public (ie tax) support. Of course, he could move the team to Arlington and get have the city build him a new stadium...

Posted on Sat, Apr. 18, 2009

Water District Considers Buying Land Near Fort Worth’s LaGrave Field
By BILL HANNAbillhanna@star-telegram.com

FORT WORTH — While the Tarrant Regional Water District isn’t interested in buying LaGrave Field or the Fort Worth Cats, it is considering purchasing some of the property near the minor league ballpark.

If a deal is reached, the water district would acquire some of the land under the levees and possibly nearby acreage for small storm-drainage canals as part of the federal Central City flood control project.

The project involves 800 acres near downtown, including a Trinity River bypass channel slicing through the near north side that is part of the better-known Trinity Uptown development.

As a bonus, the purchase could go a long way toward ensuring the long-term stability of the Fort Worth Cats and LaGrave Field, said Carl Bell, the Cats’ owner, who indicated that the talks to sell the land have became serious in the last 90 days.

"The Cats would be preserved, and the ballpark would continue as a centerpiece of Trinity Uptown," Bell said. "But the water district can point to the fact it has maintained, in the spirit and the letter of its mission, to do what is needed from a water control, flood control standpoint."

J.D. Granger, executive director of the Trinity River Vision Authority, said it is premature to say a deal will be struck. Appraisals and environmental assessments will likely take six more weeks.

Previous discussions

A year ago, there were discussions about the water district buying LaGrave Field and leasing it back to the Cats. The deal collapsed when the district decided that it would be straying from its mission.

"We’re not in the ballpark business, but we do have an interest with some of the land under the levee," Granger said. "We’ve got to figure out the value to place on that land that will be under the levee for another 12 years."

If a deal isn’t reached, Bell said, LaGrave could still be at risk of being sold to developers. The Cats’ 2009 season opener is May 14.

"I am willing to say our banks have been very cooperative and helpful and have been kept abreast of what we’re doing and why," Bell said. "Obviously, if no deal at all is made, then we would really have to assess and reassess the long-term viability of the Cats and LaGrave."

Corps directive

Central City is part of the $576 million, 1,800-acre Trinity Uptown project, which stretches from the near north side to Gateway Park and includes flood control and economic development. As part of the project, the levees would eventually be decertified and brought down.

In 2004, Congress authorized $110 million for Central City. Officials are also seeking economic stimulus dollars for various Trinity Uptown projects.

Vic Henderson, the water district’s board president, said the district would buy the land only if it made sense as part of the flood control portion of the project.

"The only interest we will have in any of that acreage would be just the acreage that is a part of the canal system or the storm water system that would ultimately be a part of the Central City project," Henderson said. ". . . At the present time, the only direction we’ve given our staff is to investigate."

Water district officials say the Army Corps of Engineers wants the district to own the land under the levees rather than having easements, and that’s another reason they are interested in the land.

Not in a hurry

Saji Alummuttil, the corps’ project manager for the Central City project, wasn’t familiar with the discussions between the water district and Bell. But he said flood damage reduction projects can require corps partners, like the water district, to own the land.

Bell, who owns 58 acres along the river, said the talks deal with 6 or 7 acres under levees and portions of 20 acres that could be used for canals.

"We’re open to whatever decision or ultimate need the water district decides," Bell said. "If the water district decides it needs some of our land, I’m optimistic that we can reach a fair and reasonable price. I don’t think we’ll be that far apart."

Bell has about $15 million in debt on the property but said he remains on firm financial footing.

While there may be some urgency on Bell’s part to strike a deal, Granger said the water district can take its time.

"We’re honestly not in a hurry," Granger said.

BILL HANNA, 817-390-7698

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users