• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

Received a notice for rezoning for my neighborhood. From what i could gather its mainly just a7.5 and a5s, with a few E and ERs that would be new, if rezoning were approved.

Ill scan the maps and what not in a few, have to reconfigure some things.

Also heard from a close friend (knew her since we were both 11) her parents received a letter similar, something about purchasing her house, though i havent seen the letter myself.

Anyone hear know something else?

#2 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

https://imgur.com/a/HKGVE

#3 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:07 PM

It’s to prevent duplex and denser redevelopment. The assumption is that as the city grows, developers will look at neighborhoods like this for redevelopment.

#4 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

so no need to worry about property being bought out?

#5 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:50 AM

If you are referring to private investors buying and rebuilding duplexes and others denser types then less likely. Economic won’t make sense they can still and may still tear down and rebuild single family.

#6 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:17 AM

so no need to worry about property being bought out?

Affordable neighborhoods are increasing in price, but only partly due to live-in homeowner demand.  There's a lot of corporate money coming into the single home market.  They buy a house, remodel it and rent it out.  I see it up and down my street (a couple miles south of I-20) and in my neighborhood.  There are dozens of new homes (within the last 10 years) that were built on the fringes of my neighborhood specifically as single family rental units.  After the 2008 crash the neighborhood south of Sycamore School Road, east of Hawkwood, was stopped dead in its tracks, perhaps 10% built out with decent homes intended for occupant owners.  The rest of that tract was built out as no-frills rental units.  It's very clear which ones were built before the crash and which ones were built after.

Entry level builders like Choice Homes simply don't exist anymore.  That whole segment is filled by homes built specifically as rentals.

My blog: Doohickie

#7 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:08 AM

Time to revisit this for a couple reasons: 

1. I live in South Hills now.  :-)

2. According to a quick look at the zoning map, it looks like South Hills is pretty much all A-5 or A7.5 (the A means single family, the number refers to minimum lot size in thousands of square feet), so the zoning change was approved.  EDIT:  Approved in the 12/5/2017 City Council Meeting

3. The point of the zoning change was to prevent developers from buying up older homes, leveling them, and rebuilding duplexes, apartment buildings, and stuff like that.  Any zoning beginning with A is single family; B, C, D refer to multi-family zoning (except CF which is Community Facilities like schools, churches, etc.)  This will prohibit developers from building buildings like the the ugly townhomes on the SW corner of Carolyn and South Hills Ave. in Westcliff.

4. As far as the concern about buying existing homes and converting to rental properties, zoning can't prevent that.  As long as the property is configured for single family use, its use is consistent with the zoning.  As it turns out, the buying of property to convert it into a rental was how we got out of our previous home:  We sold to a company that is now renting out our old house.  From what I've heard, it is common for South Hillbillies to get letters offering to buy your home.  If you don't want to, just don't respond.

My blog: Doohickie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users