#152 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

Bob.

This looks like kind of a weeny tree but understand there is a time tested architectural formula for determining the height of the "Topping Off Tree."

H= F(SF*√FH) + FH/NG*LP

Whereas:

H= Height of tree in linear feet
SF= Space per floor in square ft.
FH= Floor height
LP= Length of developer's Pickup truck
NG= Number of guests at the Tree Topping Ceremony.
www.fortworthview.com

#153 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Sep 15 2008, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bob.

This looks like kind of a weeny tree but understand there is a time tested architectural formula for determining the height of the "Topping Off Tree."

H= F(SF*√FH) + FH/NG*LP

Whereas:

H= Height of tree in linear feet
F= Floor space per floor
FH= Floor height
LP= Length of developer's Pickup truck
NG= Number of guests at the Tree Topping Ceremony.

I hope someone else thought this was funny. rotflmao.gif

#154 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ May 26 2008, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Took a walk to Villa DeLeon this Memorial Day morning. I am getting very excited about this project!

Very nice little sales center.

Even from low ground level a SPECTACULAR view. May be best in North Texas from fifth floor of this building.

Construction progressing.

More construction

Sure wonder what these ruins were from on the South side of project?

I completely missed this post earlier - what a fantastic historic component to the project! Where exactly is this former amphitheater on the site? Is it in a location where it could be restored?

#155 BobZupcic

BobZupcic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (Okie-JR @ Sep 11 2008, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tom Struhs will be giving a presentation on the Trinity Bluffs Development project Thursday 9/18 at 6:30 in the TRV Offices on 7th.

Ridiculously interesting and informative presentation last night by Mr. Struhs. Some of the highlights include:

- Struhs is very optomistic that TCC moving to the Radio Shack HQ is a win-win for the city and that the resulting use of the TCC campus will be better than planned initially. The national interest in the project is due in large part to the Army Corps of Engineers and their cooperation with the city...something that will be the first of many such partnerships in future projects nationwide.

- Bass' considering a (grocery type) market on property north of old police station between 1st and Weatherford.

- Fire Station #1 is recommending a signal light at the intersection of Belknap and Pecan.

- A Marriott brand is most likely going up at the corner of Samuels and Belknap (where Fried Hicken once stood)

- As part of the Villa De Leon and adjoining properties along the bluff, ten foot easements were given to the city between each project to allow for access to the eventual waterfront trails and features.

- Some delays in development of the the trinity bluff area were due to 300' alcohol restriction around Nash Elementary. Some reilef to this rule has been given to the area. There will be some types of retail in the bluff area...mostly compliementary services such as dry cleaners...but not entertainment district/sundance type of stores.

- Cypress Equities will be involved with some of the development in the Trinity Bluff area. The REIT that is helping out with the Mariott project is a huge supporter of Trinity Bluff and Fort Worth in general, and will likely be involved with Lincoln Properties, as well as Cypress and Mariott.

- The tract of land south/east of VDL where the marketing center is will be one of the last tracts to be developed, as they learn/see what the market is demanding. Likely condos.

- fun fact - Lincoln Trinity Bluffs was the fastest property to reach full lease capacity in the 41 year history of Lincoln Properties.

As you may be able to tell, I thoroughly enjoyed the presentation. The work Mr. Struhs has put into this project is amazing and inspiring. What is even more amazing is the amount of cooperation between Struhs, the city, The Bass', etc.

His updated maps, graphics, and vantage point illustrations were very impressive. I highly recommend you go to see this if/when he speaks again.

#156 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

Went by this construction site on my way home tonight. Plenty of progress for sure. They had an event going on tonight. (More black ties than hard hats) Here are a few shots.

www.fortworthview.com

#157 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:36 AM

I've been surprised at how visible the building is on the skyline if you're heading into downtown on airport freeway.

#158 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (cberen1 @ Oct 8 2008, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been surprised at how visible the building is on the skyline if you're heading into downtown on airport freeway.

It does have more a a presence than I had anticipated. (And not just because it is Coast Guard Yellow #3)
For my eyeballs, Villa DeLeon is just big enough to extend Downtown to the North a bit. I like it!

And sure enough a lot of construction off Samuels. Wish I had a better idea of what that street will look like in a year. (Would love a sneak peek of a low aerial shot from Oct. 2009) It could be an amazing area. At this point it is pretty rough looking. I am assuming that will change. For example, as I am taking photos of this building I can hardly hear myself think as big horse/dogs are barking from that icky place next door. I would not buy a place in the building without that street improving, at least for a few lots over.
www.fortworthview.com

#159 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Oct 8 2008, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (cberen1 @ Oct 8 2008, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does have more a a presence than I had anticipated. (And not just because it is Coast Guard Yellow #3)
For my eyeballs, Villa DeLeon is just big enough to extend Downtown to the North a bit. I like it!

And sure enough a lot of construction off Samuels. Wish I had a better idea of what that street will look like in a year. (Would love a sneak peek of a low aerial shot from Oct. 2009) It could be an amazing area. At this point it is pretty rough looking. I am assuming that will change. For example, as I am taking photos of this building I can hardly hear myself think as big horse/dogs are barking from that icky place next door. I would not buy a place in the building without that street improving, at least for a few lots over.

There are a bunch of new things headed to Samuels courtesy of Mr. Struhs - right across the street I see that the parking garage for Lincoln's next batch of apartments is already rising, and the site prep for the new townhomes on the other side of the two old houses next to VDL is moving steadily ahead as well. And now there's a Marriott headed for the former Fried hicken site.

--

Kara B.

#160 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:48 PM

My 400mm is spotting a new construction project. As I don't know for sure what it is (And I have been batting about 350) I am just going to tag it on to this project, also just NE of Downtown. I don't even know if it is Commercial or Residential of course. Is this that parking garage? Sure enough is right on the railroad tracks from my perspective. Let's take a look!

www.fortworthview.com

#161 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Urban Planning, Conservation, Sustainability, Transit-oriented-Development, Historic Preservation.<br /><br />Hiking, camping, reading, BBQing, photography, traveling

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Oct 12 2008, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 400mm is spotting a new construction project. As I don't know for sure what it is (And I have been batting about 350) I am just going to tag it on to this project, also just NE of Downtown. I don't even know if it is Commercial or Residential of course. Is this that parking garage? Sure enough is right on the railroad tracks from my perspective. Let's take a look!

Hey monee - you're looking at a different view of the Lincoln at Trinity Bluffs (Phase III) project. Take a gander at AG's photos at the bottom of the page: http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=3114

And yeah, they're right on the RR tracks. Only thing between them and the railroad ROW will be some landscaping (if I remember right, a row of Bald Cypress).

#162 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (Recyclican @ Oct 12 2008, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (monee9696 @ Oct 12 2008, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey monee - you're looking at a different view of the Lincoln at Trinity Bluffs (Phase III) project. Take a gander at AG's photos at the bottom of the page: http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=3114

And yeah, they're right on the RR tracks. Only thing between them and the railroad ROW will be some landscaping (if I remember right, a row of Bald Cypress).

Sure enough. Seems like a parking garage would be a perfect buffer between the tracks and TV's. Even better if it is several stories tall.
Seems like I remember concrete is one of the best sound barriers.
www.fortworthview.com

#163 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:50 PM

Some of you may have noticed that the siding on VDL is complete except for most of the north side of the building. We were walking down Samuels yesterday (Sunday 10/12) and ran into Mr. Burda, who told us why.

It seems that the VDL is so close to Burda's property line (3 feet) that they cannot fit in the equipment necessary to hoist and install the siding. Burda, of course, will not give them permission to come onto his property, so they are having to figure out a workaround.

To Burda, this is turnabout fair play, since he says they (both Struhs and the city council) would not accomodate him when he asked that the building not be so close to his property line. Or maybe Burda believes it's payback for Struhs deceptively buying the mineral rights?

To me, it's an interesting neighborhood drama, all the more entertaining because I have no personal involvement. :-)

#164 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

I have been waiting almost a month to take this picture. The sun directly behind this new condo construction as seen from the Sylvania bridge over Highway 121 with a 6:48pm sundown. Just two days a year for these pics and I feared it would be cloudy tonight. (And yes, I know I need to get a life.)

Without the glass in place on this building, it almost seems on fire. I think it is a pretty effect. Shot with my 400mm and no filters. As always, color was not tweaked, just the sweet spot of a sunset using a telephoto, bla, bla, bla... Let's take a look, shall we?

And 3 minutes later...

www.fortworthview.com

#165 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

The construction crane was removed over the weekend and slate(?) is going up on the roof.

The parking garage for the apartments across the street is starting to get some elevation too.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#166 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:59 AM

Parking garage constuction:

Before dawn this Nov. 1 morning. Hard at work. (These guys, not me... laugh.gif )

www.fortworthview.com

#167 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:09 PM

Grabbed my three favorite lenses (Oh that's right, that's all I have) and hung out on the Main Street bridge across the Trinity around sundown.
(Thanks again to the pigs that break their beer bottles on that bridge.)
Here are three shots of Villa Deleon from the river side. (West) Three shots, three lenses: The 400 was too close to be pretty.
If this place doesn't have a grand view I will eat my hat.

15mm

60mm

400mm

www.fortworthview.com

#168 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:30 PM

The Pella window on the southside shocked me, I would think something more commercial/industrial. I guess that means quality?

#169 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:56 PM

Struhs was quoted in the FW Weekly article about the local economy:

http://www.fwweekly....sp?article=7294

“I don’t think we are immune to the economic realities affecting the country,” said Fort Worth real estate developer Tom Struhs. “But it is obvious we are not as bad off. I just think we need to be wary and cautious.”

Struhs’ company is overseeing a housing and retail development along Samuels Avenue northeast of downtown. More than new 300 apartment units are occupied, but a high-end condo property — Villa De Leon, to be completed in April — is not doing so well. Just six of the 23 condo units have been sold.

“I think this recession is going to affect the high-end buyers much more than the lower end,” Struhs said. “People with money tend to sit back and wait. We are not dead in the water with [Villa De Leon sales], but we are somewhat disappointed.”

#170 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:30 PM

Just a suggestion - since the parking garage is unrelated to Villa De Leon, and is in fact part of Lincoln's next apartment development across the street from VDL, the parking garage progress pics would probably be better in the existing Lincoln thread.

--

Kara B.

#171 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:38 PM

A couple of shots from this evening. I sure like this place a lot. But... neighborhood has to change for my million bucks. Get rid of the junky houses with barking dogs next door. (I like barking dogs about as much as retarded loud motorcycles.)
The apartments they are building to the North of this structure will also have a premium river view. Seems like competition to me. Renting has advantages these days, particularly in a neighborhood that you are counting on to evolve. (If it doesn't you pack your crap and get.)

Was talking with the marketing head for the construction co. and he was going to get me a tour but hasn't happened yet. (Could be I was supposed to get back with him.) They are located in the West 7th area where they are building museum place also.

Competition next door under way.

The pretty side.

Parking garage I assume.

www.fortworthview.com

#172 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:21 PM

Everything I have seen indicates the "competition" is suppose to be fee simple townhomes, not rentals.

Yes, yes..... I can taste my property values rising......

#173 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (AndyN @ Feb 2 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everything I have seen indicates the "competition" is suppose to be fee simple townhomes, not rentals.

Some of the most prime real estate in town to me. (View, location etc..) I am guessing if they are owned units the complexion of the whole neighborhood changes. (The whole City to a lesser extent.) Although, the apartments across the street look to be pretty stink'n up-scale to me. Particularly if those are garages as they look to be.

I wanted to walk back into that West side construction area as a big hunk of fence was down, but still seemed like trespassing to me. I do remember walking back there before construction and the view is incredible. (Be that ultimately a lake or a river, to me.) That entire neighborhood (save for those houses between Villa and the construction) is going to be very special, I think.
www.fortworthview.com

#174 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (AndyN @ Feb 2 2009, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have any more of the Villa DeLeon units been purchased?? I know the article quoted above says only 6 of the 23 have sold . But someone told me only four have actually been closed on. Anyone know for sure?

If sales don't pick up, don't be surprised if VD (ugh) and the for purchase townhomes end up as rentals...especially in this economic climate.

#175 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (vjackson @ Feb 4 2009, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (AndyN @ Feb 2 2009, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have any more of the Villa DeLeon units been purchased?? I know the article quoted above says only 6 of the 23 have sold . But someone told me only four have actually been closed on. Anyone know for sure?

If sales don't pick up, don't be surprised if VD (ugh) and the for purchase townhomes end up as rentals...especially in this economic climate.

Once a place is built it is too expensive to just sit. But, I think that the Villa Deleon places would need to rent for $7,000. a month to service the debt, taxes and HOA dues. Then for that, I guy might ask himself, "Would I rather just stay at the Worthington or Omni on a permanent basis?"

Yikes. I'm not saying they won't rent them, but I am saying I'm glad I am not having to rent them! wacko.gif

www.fortworthview.com

#176 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:00 PM

I think my feelings about the design of this building are well documented in this post so I won't go back down that road.. I wonder how much the lack of interest is due to the bad design and use of cheap materials though. I'd have a hard time paying 6 or 7 0's for an EIFS condo w/ Pella windows. Is there a comparable building at this stage and location that we can see how sales are going? I can't really compare the Omni but I wonder how it's sales are doing.

#177 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

Is it EIFS? I understood that it would be actual stucco.

--

Kara B.

#178 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

I think most of the lack of sales, if that is still the case, would likely be due to economy jitters. I really think crabbing about the stucco is personal taste and not a sufficient reason for slow sales. Once that neighborhood pops, I think sales will go up. I have seen the Samuels Avenue vision in my head (although my version has wider streets and sidewalks), but some people can't imagine things unless you draw them a picture, or in this case build them the building.

#179 BobZupcic

BobZupcic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (AndyN @ Feb 4 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think most of the lack of sales, if that is still the case, would likely be due to economy jitters. I really think crabbing about the stucco is personal taste and not a sufficient reason for slow sales.

I could not agree more. Saying VDL is not selling because of the stucco is like saying the Rangers can't win the pennant because of the wind.

There are simply way too many other factors at work. VDL will do fine in the long run...just like the economy.

#180 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

Darn---I did a huge long post and then got some error message when I tried to actually post it. Short version now:

Change of sales direction at VDL---look for it in the next few weeks. Focus will be first on the development, then on specific "fit" in the community. May have had some personnel issues.

Affluent buyers buy when they are confident or need to hedge inflation. I think when the building can be walked/touched/seen, many fence-sitters will move. Also, no "cookie cutter" designs---each unit, if not sold, is being individually designed. Materials are first class.

NOT EFIS, real stucco. Maybe some EFIS details, but the building is stucco.

Very, very expensive Pella windows AND doors---top of the line, NOT cheap, and not perceived cheap by high end buyers.

Finally, ALL of Lincoln's stuff is for lease, even the townhomes with the million dollar views. Promotes diversity and allows for market stabilization at which time they will sell to a converter.

Sorry you missed out on the flowing prose.

#181 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:27 AM

A couple of recent photos:

--

Kara B.

#182 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:19 PM

Hi All,

Anyone notice the new gleaming copper dome on VDL? If you stare at it long enough on a sunny day it will make you go blind. Seriously, now that finishing touches are being put on Villa De Leon it is starting to live up to its hype appearance-wise. The adjacent Lincoln Properties project is buzzing like a bee-hive and all of this new construction can be seen as a picturesque addition to the downtown skyline when looking from Belknap headed towards downtown after you pass Sylvania Street. Before, all you could see of the Samuel's Avenue neighborhood from that location was a lot of trees.

#183 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

This place is certainly looking handsome. Would I like to live there? You bet.

Borrowing my old XSi camera while my new one sits in the shop. (I have no problem with Rebel's!)

www.fortworthview.com

#184 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

Mama mia. mellow.gif

#185 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:30 AM

I took a tour of Villa DeLeon this morning! Was really excited about it. I have known it was coming up for 2 months. (A top guy with Byrne Construction is a Forum Fan and emailed me asking permission to use my pic of Villa that I took many months ago with the setting sun going through it.) My pic wound up as the first picture that pops up on their web site. Here is their site if you would like to take a peak.

http://www.tsbyrne.com/

In exchange, he promised to get me into the building for a photo tour. Today was the day. And as you all know my brand new $3,400. camera is in the shop for its 8th week now. As luck would have it. I did not want to decline the tour so I swiped my wifes old Kodak. I took several shots. Several of them here for your inspection. I also took her new Hi-Def Canon camcorder. (HSF10 Vixia). Will post a video later.

My impression of the place? Spectacular. No surprise to me. We knew the view was premium. We could tell by the outside that it was a place well-done. Would I live here? Absolutely! Will it be worth the money? In my opinion, yes. With the economy in a fix they will not sell instantly but they will all sell for top dollar. The places are big with high ceilings and a really premium trim level. Nice halls, hardware, windows etc... A person could move out of a really premium home to this place and be right at home.

I am hoping I get another chance to go in when I get my good camera back.

Keep in mind, this place is a major construction zone. But do take a look!

Kitchen

First Floor Living Room

Personal patio off of a first floor unit.

A balcony shot

Looking north out of a window

Handsome man in shot. (Me)

Underground garage

Huge air vents kick on in garage if CO gets to a certain level

4,000 lb. dome.

On the roof!

www.fortworthview.com

#186 urbancowboy

urbancowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sustainable, Livable, Urbanism

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:30 PM

Isn't there a retail component to this development?

#187 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (urbancowboy @ Jul 10 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't there a retail component to this development?

There is no retail associated with this 6 story condo complex. There is some "down-the-road" retail planned for the area.

BTW I walked in on developer Tom Struhs meeting with construction foreman. Wanted to sit and listen but turned in my hard-hat and hit the dusty trail. I have known Tom for 15 years since he built my bosses "Ken Schaumburg designed" house on Eagle Mountain Lake in 1994. (I met with him several times on that project.) I visit with him when he votes in my precinct. But he doesn't know me. (Not saying he should.)
www.fortworthview.com

#188 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

Is the dome copper? If so, I wonder if they plan on allowing it to turn green over time. One of the things that struck me about Boston the first time I saw it was the very large number of 19th century buildings with green copper.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#189 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Jul 10 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the roof!

Any idea what the four little stick like things are coming up from the column? I was thinking for a moment that they might be lightening rods - but on second thought, if I recall correctly, they are not really needed on modern buildings.

Also, notice the Main Street bridge in the photo. Looks rather handsome. Sure glad the plans to obscure it by extending the TCC bunkers across the river fell through.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#190 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (Dismuke @ Jul 11 2009, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (monee9696 @ Jul 10 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the roof!

Any idea what the four little stick like things are coming up from the column? I was thinking for a moment that they might be lightening rods - but on second thought, if I recall correctly, they are not really needed on modern buildings.

Also, notice the Main Street bridge in the photo. Looks rather handsome. Sure glad the plans to obscure it by extending the TCC bunkers across the river fell through.

It is for lightning according to the Byrne guy showing me around. There are many lightning features on the building. Considering its height and that it is at the top of a hill seems like lightning protection is a good idea. You don't think T Boone Pickens could collect some of that lightning to run trains?
(Not making fun of my hero...)

BTW all the HVAC equipment is hidden up on the roof. I might add the building was good and cold though at 10 am it was already hot enough to fry an egg on a shady sidewalk.

Also I would like to add we had to take the stairs up and down the building. I was told the warranty on the elevators started when the key is first turned.
I don't blame them. Elevator maintenance his a huge expense for a building. (For 6 floors I would hope the elevators would only ever be used for carrying groceries or sofas.) One of my favorite pictures of all time is a shot of a huge downtown exercise gym. There are up and down escalators in it taking people up and down from the second floor. There is a huge flight of stairs along side the escalators. The people on the escalators are carrying gym bags and bottled water. I wished I would have saved the picture. Only in America I am afraid.
www.fortworthview.com

#191 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:29 AM

And here is my little Hi Def movie I made of Villa de Leon.

It was a pretty challenging video project as it was dark on the inside and VERY bright outside. (Most of the lights were either off or not yet connected.)
Watch this movie in HQ and fill the screen and it is not so dark that you can't take a look at this great place.

Taken in 1080p on my wife's HSF 100 Canon Camcorder. (Suspect Youtube brings it down to 720 or something else...)
www.fortworthview.com

#192 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:47 AM

Great photos of one of Fort Worth's most interesting new buildings! Someone asked about the copper dome-I'm sure it will be allowed to weather and turn into the classic verdigris green. We have the 19th century Tarrant County courthouse's beautifully aged copper roofing to thank for that, I believe. The copper dome is a nice touch signifying longevity and permanence.

It remains to be seen how the years will treat the area around Villa De Leon. I personally think mixing dense but relatively modest housing right next to a "premium" condominium reduces any pretentions towards luxury and exclusivity. I suppose one could look at it from another angle and argue the proximity of Villa De Leon brings up the perceived value of the adjacent less expensive housing; only time will tell how this plays out or not. I think to create the perception of an expensive luxury residential area will take more than just Villa De Leon; therefore, we must wait to see if another high-dollar high-rise will ever be built again in the area or not.

Of course, it's way too premature to talk about the future when Villa De Leon has still not officially opened. (sometime in August?) The biggest unknown is the local economic impact on the new development. While the Barnett Shale boom was in full swing it seemed that Fort Worth was largely immune from the national downturn-one has only to check natural gas market prices to see where we are at today compared to a year ago. Thank goodness our local economy has greatly diversified in recent years. That still gives us reasons to be optimistic even in the midst of a recession. Thanks for sharing these great photos. I assume there will be some kind of "open house" or formal grand opening ceremony for Villa De Leon? The views in your photos truly are fantastic.

#193 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (John S. @ Jul 13 2009, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It remains to be seen how the years will treat the area around Villa De Leon. I personally think mixing dense but relatively modest housing right next to a "premium" condominium reduces any pretentions towards luxury and exclusivity.

If this were a gated subdivision, perhaps, but in a neighborhood like this I don't think it negatively affects it as much as one might think (of course, there will always be the ultra-snobby). I mean, the Electric Building (probably the most affordable apartment building in Downtown and certainly much less expensive than the Lincoln rentals around Villa de Leon) has been open for years but it doesn't make me perceive the Neil P. across the street as being less high-end.

--

Kara B.

#194 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Jul 13 2009, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If this were a gated subdivision, perhaps, but in a neighborhood like this I don't think it negatively affects it as much as one might think (of course, there will always be the ultra-snobby). I mean, the Electric Building (probably the most affordable apartment building in Downtown and certainly much less expensive than the Lincoln rentals around Villa de Leon) has been open for years but it doesn't make me perceive the Neil P. across the street as being less high-end.

True. it's hard to picture lil' ole Cowtown sharing the same sentence as "ultra-snobby". T'wasn't that long ago that many outsiders considered Fort Worth itself as merely the poor country cousin of Dallas. Thankfully, that no longer seems to be the case. I do think the central downtown business core, where the Electric building is located, allows comfortably for more economic diversity than in the small pocket neighborhood of Samuels Avenue. Samuels Avenue is still searching for a new neighborhood identity-will it become "apartment row"; condo-city; or ??? Historically, it was a nice early residential neighborhood of large single family estates that went through many decades of decline and still has visible signs of poverty, especially on some of it's side streets. The announcement of Villa De Leon seemed to sound a new high note, one that harkened back to the days when Samuels Avenue was home to some of Fort Worth's most prosperous families, all long since removed. With a "mid-range", non-descript, extended stay motel slated to anchor the area's south end, and the dense, mid-range apartments-townhomes that are now being built, the future "character" of Samuels seems rather confusing. Right now, it looks like an area of dense apartments and some condominiums which are in the aggregate "average". Guess it will be left up to the future Trinity River Town Lake project to determine the final status of this old neighborhood. The fate of the few remaining historic homes on Samuels is also undetermined. My own opinion leaned towards acceptance of new quality construction such as Villa De Leon offsetting the negatives of an old neighborhood in transition. Now that apartments are filling up a lot of the spaces I'm not so sure that bodes well for the neighborhood's future; especially when these new apartments begin to show their age. Just my 2 cents worth from living on Samuels for 20 years.

#195 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:20 AM

Does anyone know when or if Villa De Leon is going to have a "Grand Opening" or open house event? In driving by in recent days it looks like it is coming very close to (exterior) completion. Mr. Burda (who is VDL's neighbor to the north) mentioned in passing yesterday (August 7) that he had been contacted by the Star-Telegram about an upcoming article on the neighborhood and the new development. All of the new construction in the area makes one forget we are supposed to be in a recession. Of course, how well the new units sell or rent will be the true indicator of current market conditions.

#196 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:07 PM

Shot of Uptown from TCC Downtown. (West Center)

17-40 4.0L Cropped heavily. (only lens I had with me)

And less cropped. But prettier with the bridge.

www.fortworthview.com

#197 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

Nice photos, Monee! Thanks. In looking at them, I notice what seems to be a road going down from the new Lincoln Park townhomes towards the Trinity River. Is this one of the "official" access roads that have been promised to provide public access to the river bank or merely for the use of Lincoln Park residents? The density of the new development is appropriate for an urban setting as well. In fact, adding another higher rise tower similar to VDL would make the view more interesting.

#198 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (John S. @ Aug 9 2009, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice photos, Monee! Thanks. In looking at them, I notice what seems to be a road going down from the new Lincoln Park townhomes towards the Trinity River.

Could just be where the grass is gone from earthmoving operations - haven't heard anything about a new access down to the river. Perhaps I'll swing by today and grab some photos.

--

Kara B.

#199 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (John S. @ Aug 9 2009, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice photos, Monee! Thanks. In looking at them, I notice what seems to be a road going down from the new Lincoln Park townhomes towards the Trinity River.

Kevin is right, the 'road' is just a remnant of construction.

I wish there was access to the Trails from this part of town. Although these new complexes advertise "Access to Trinity Trails" as a feature, you have to walk into downtown and around the courthouse (because of the construction) and over to the traffic circle at the bottom of Taylor Street to get to the Trails. You can take the 'scenic' walk by the (unfortunately) abandoned Heritage Park and down a brick-paved path behind the parking garages, or stay along Belknap before turning down Taylor, in which case you get to see who's getting booked into the city jail and who is just getting out.

I posted this snap in another thread, where you can see there's no path down to the river:

#200 BobZupcic

BobZupcic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:34 PM

There will be paths down to the river at some point, and although I don't know when that will happen, it was my understanding it would happen sooner rather than later.

As part of the final plat for each of these projects there was an easement given to the city for public access to the river.

I'm hoping Struhs & Co. make another presentation shortly that highlights time frames and progress on such initiatives. Certainly with the way the economy has been rolling some things are postponed and some are canceled outright...but it is hard for the common folk to find out which is which.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Uptown, Residential, Samuels Avenue, Condominiums, New Construction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users