281 replies to this topic

#201 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:09 AM

I think the Convention Center garage isn't near enough day-to-day traffic for anyone to want to take a chance on using the space; however, I would imagine that the XTO garage will have enough people walking around it on a daily basis to make it worthwhile for the space to be occupied.

#202 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:50 AM

I did some reading on the CC garage yesterday. Evidently, for the first 2 years the garage was open the Omni was put in charge of leasing the space so the hotel could pick something that would cooperate with the retail tenants of the hotel building. Nothing happened, obviously. The leasing is now being taken on by the city I believe, who own the building. They are marketing it more. It also mentioned that the garage reaches 100% capacity only 6-10 days a year. 

#203 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:18 AM

I did some reading on the CC garage yesterday. Evidently, for the first 2 years the garage was open the Omni was put in charge of leasing the space so the hotel could pick something that would cooperate with the retail tenants of the hotel building. Nothing happened, obviously. The leasing is now being taken on by the city I believe, who own the building. They are marketing it more. It also mentioned that the garage reaches 100% capacity only 6-10 days a year. 

I noticed that. Felt like someone was taking over, but didn't now the hotel was the first to hold the lease. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#204 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:51 PM

....I would imagine that the XTO garage will have enough people walking around it on a daily basis to make it worthwhile for the space to be occupied.

If the XTO garage has the brains to put in a full service CVS or Walgreens, then I think that would be something that would make the project worthwhile and lessen to a degree the disappointment felt about the use of this site.

P.S.   and a 24/7 Seven-Eleven.

#205 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:40 PM

....I would imagine that the XTO garage will have enough people walking around it on a daily basis to make it worthwhile for the space to be occupied.

If the XTO garage has the brains to put in a full service CVS or Walgreens, then I think that would be something that would make the project worthwhile and lessen to a degree the disappointment felt about the use of this site.

P.S.   and a 24/7 Seven-Eleven.

Agreed!

#206 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:45 PM

Here's my latest construction photo taken on December 25, 2016.  They are starting to install the pre-cast concrete panels on the east side.

31061232204_e689ee5281_h.jpgcowtownpl-01 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#207 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:42 AM

Like lipstick on a pig.

#208 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:11 PM

Like lipstick on a pig.

Now, now...

#209 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:49 PM

Like lipstick on a pig.

Now, now...

Hmmm.   Dress up the upper exterior floors with "fake" windows; and it could grow on you.  (But of course, that fakery is not in the works).

#210 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:26 PM

To be fair, I do think the architects did a good job with trying to make it look nice. The unfortunate thing is the use of the structure. 

#211 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:57 PM

Just throwing out some random buildings that would have been better to build on this block...

pennhotel2.jpg

RenderedElevationsEmailQuality.jpgR2r3lx6.png

Washington%20Ave%20West%20Bank%20Tower.j

rq9Tacbl.jpg

Powers%20Block%20Humphries.jpg?raw=1

(Either the tower or small building on the right would have worked)
Sexton%20Phase%202.jpg?raw=1

Most of those buildings are under 700ft, just an fyi. 

7fwPZnE.png

#212 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

Putting on finishing touches looks like. Streetlights and sidewalks were going in yesterday.

C6AN6aBUoAIzc5g.jpg

It was also mentioned that the dentist currently operating in nearby Century Plaza will not be able to renew the lease at Centrury Plaza and be taking a retail slot in the garage. This could have be related to the proposed hotel at that location.

#213 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

I have speculated that the garage can be used by other nearby businesses.  If the proposed hotel is completed, how many floors of the garage would it need/reserve for its guest?

#214 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

Some interesting discussion - 

Heard today the deal fell through . (A&M) Law school will have the space instead.  I was told instead of subdividing the space, the law school will have it all.

The deal was the Dentist Dr. Raulston moving from Century Plaza to this garage. Instead, Dr. Raulston will be moving to Pinnacle Bank place. 

Not sure of any other details, or why A&M would want the whole building. 

In other news, the sidewalks on Houston and Throckmorton are open. 

#215 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:45 PM

Some interesting discussion - 

Heard today the deal fell through . (A&M) Law school will have the space instead.  I was told instead of subdividing the space, the law school will have it all.

The deal was the Dentist Dr. Raulston moving from Century Plaza to this garage. Instead, Dr. Raulston will be moving to Pinnacle Bank place. 
Not sure of any other details, or why A&M would want the whole building. 
In other news, the sidewalks on Houston and Throckmorton are open.

What space is A&M taking?

7fwPZnE.png

#216 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:50 PM

The garage retail.

#217 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:27 PM

Jeriat... I believe they are talking about the parking garage retail spaces.

#218 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

I think it goes without saying that it was planned all along that it would be used by whoever leased the retail space.

I thought this garage was for XTO Energy employees only.  If that's the case, the "inducement" works only to the extent that XTO Energy employees move from surface lots to the garage.  This isn't "public parking," am I right? 

I thought this garage was for XTO Energy employees only.  If that's the case, the "inducement" works only to the extent that XTO Energy employees move from surface lots to the garage.  This isn't "public parking," am I right? 

XTO immediately sold the project to investors.  More likely scenario,  XTO during the workday and public parking night and weekends that gives the new owners a steady revenue stream.

See Post#149 with link.

The silver lining in this garage seems to be that it will be open to other Downtown businesses and just not to XTO employees exclusively.  If that be the case, then the garage makes perfect economic sense as it will become a revenue stream and just not a employees' benefit.

#219 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

These gates don't really strike me as "open to the public"

C728RnYVUAEk9Qi.jpg

I guess we'll find out soon. The garage is basically done. 

C728Kl5VMAE2Rws.jpg

#220 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:24 PM

I'm a bit disappointed to read that A&M will take up the retail space. With such a large amount of space, you could have a retail store, a grocery store, or an entertainment venue like D&B or a bowling alley.

Oh well. Hopefully, the CVS Pharmacy plan up the street comes to fruition.

• JBB likes this

-Dylan

#221 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:37 AM

Ok... so...

- This block contained Landmark Tower.
- Once it was demolished, it left the possibility of a new grand tower in the middle of downtown.
- We immediately got a parking lot instead of a tower, but that was ok because it left open the possibility of one in the future.
- We get news of development, but it turns out to be a garage... that sucks, but at least it looks "pretty" and has retail opportunities along two of the busiest streets in the central city.
- But we instead get A&M occupying those spaces instead of stores, restaurants, music venues, bars, or anything else that would spark more interest for more people after 5pm...

Is that about right? Is that where we are with this project?

7fwPZnE.png

#222 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:57 AM

So far, our understanding that A&M will occupy the ground floor is based on this tweet from Daniel Olson. Do we have any other sources to corroborate Mr. Olson's report?

#223 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

Maybe the A&M rental is just a stop-gap until they build the new building that's referenced in the A&M Law School thread?

My blog: Doohickie

#224 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

Ok... so...
- But we instead get A&M occupying those spaces instead of stores, restaurants, music venues, bars, or anything else that would spark more interest for more people after 5pm...Is that about right? Is that where we are with this project?

As I think about this project, the garage is and will be used to accommodate the needs of different projects, sometimes temporarily as is the case with A&M Law, the needs of XTO, the needs of nearby restaurants valet, and possibly a major tenant, requiring a set aside block of spaces, such as a nearby hotel. 

At the beginning, I too was quite dejected about a garage and not a tower; but as it is unfolding, the garage is providing Downtown establishments an alternative to handle parking needs until a particular establishment can build into its project the parking space it requires.

#225 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

Besides, as we know, the highest best use for property in downtown Fort Worth is for parking.

Still true today.

#226 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

Besides, as we know, the highest best use for property in downtown Fort Worth is for parking.

Still true today.

If you think about that statement, it is counter intuitive. There would not be demand for parking if other uses were not in place. 

As an optimist, I see this project, if it is used by multiple tenants, as a ready supply for meeting parking demands and growth by a number of Downtown businesses.  If, as is the stated purpose of this project, it is to be used by a single tenant, then it is the least best use of a property that I can imagine.

#227 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

Perhaps you missed the subtle use of the sarcasm font.

#228 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

Perhaps you missed the subtle use of the sarcasm font.

"I did" :huh: .

#229 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

C728RnYVUAEk9Qi.jpg

C728Kl5VMAE2Rws.jpg

It's a real shame the DDRB didn't set a higher standard for the facade above the retail. This is a truly below average building. I will however be optimistic about the benefit it serves of parking cars in downtown.

#230 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

As I'm not an architect, I can't speak with authority about building designs.  But as a layperson who has seen more than one parking garage in downtown Fort Worth, I cannot agree that this one is below average.  And, for Pete's sake, what can you do to the façade of a parking garage to satisfy a higher standard if not make it to took like the Taj Mahal?

#231 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:24 PM

..... as a layperson who has seen more than one parking garage in downtown Fort Worth, I cannot agree that this one is below average.  And, for Pete's sake, what can you do to the façade of a parking garage to satisfy a higher standard if not make it to took like the Taj Mahal?

If you are not just in it to make a quick buck in a cheap fashion, you would get this project; however,take a look at these garages to see what is possible:

https://www.google.c...iw=1024&bih=635

#232 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

As I'm not an architect, I can't speak with authority about building designs.  But as a layperson who has seen more than one parking garage in downtown Fort Worth, I cannot agree that this one is below average.  And, for Pete's sake, what can you do to the façade of a parking garage to satisfy a higher standard if not make it to took like the Taj Mahal?

I don't have a high standard for design of garages... but it could look slightly less like a garage. 

7fwPZnE.png

#233 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:23 PM

I don't have a high standard for design of garages... but it could look slightly less like a garage. 

It does look less like a garage.

My blog: Doohickie

#234 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

C728RnYVUAEk9Qi.jpg

C728Kl5VMAE2Rws.jpg

It's a real shame the DDRB didn't set a higher standard for the facade above the retail. This is a truly below average building. I will however be optimistic about the benefit it serves of parking cars in downtown.

...and now, back to my Garage Conspiracy - Can the company that purchased the XTO Garage stand pat and providing free parking to 800 XTO employees while two new announced hotels in very close proximity seem to need parking.  Its getting very crowded between 6th and 10th Streets.

Seems like there will be some new pressure put on the vacant section of the W.T. Waggoner Block to build yet more parking if XTO takes up 100% of the available parking at the Cowtown Parking Plaza.

What appears so interesting about the new hotels is that they do not show a parking structure in their renderings as though the hotels have already prearranged with nearby parking structures to meet their needs. It is just a hunch, but not without some visible signs.

#235 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

Idea: create a 'vertical garden' on all 4 facades above the retail level

#236 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:56 PM

Idea: create a 'vertical garden' on all 4 facades above the retail level

Perhaps creeping ivy would be more cost effective

#237 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

..... And, for Pete's sake, what can you do to the façade of a parking garage to satisfy a higher standard if not make it to took like the Taj Mahal?

JFWD, you wonder what can be done to a garage's facade?..Here's a local sampling that makes it look slightly less like a garage -

UNTHSC Fort Worth: http://fortwortharch...HSC-parking.jpg

XTO could have done better if it wanted to.

#238 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

I would call this done. What's everyone think of the final look? I don't find it especially awful, but it isn't really attractive either. I do really like that none of the ramps face the street so all the facades are parallel. 

kH2TZCe.jpg

On the right side of this image is the thing that bothers me most, one of the columns inside the garage isnt covered from the outside. Looks really awkward. 

jxcRiZd.jpg

Now we just wait for news on the retail.

#239 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:29 PM

It's decent but I think I would have been much less critical of this if it was built on one of the parking lots near the ITC. It's disappointing that it's smack dab in the middle of downtown on the spot I think FW's tallest should be built.

#240 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

On the right side of this image is the thing that bothers me most, one of the columns inside the garage isnt covered from the outside. Looks really awkward.

I've studied that image a couple of times and I can't see what you're talking about.

I don't love it, but it's not terribly offensive. There are far worse garages around town. As others have said, the placement stinks, but it is what it is.

#241 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:15 PM

JBB, it is on the right side of the building in the second photograph.  I noticed it the other day when I was walking by.

#242 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:26 PM

XTO Energy is seeking proposals from developers to build an 800 car parking garage on the site of the old Landmark Tower....

What is driving the demand for such a large garage? This is quite puzzling. 

I hope that any garage will be largely below ground.

My guess is that the XTO employees are parking all over downtown.  If they built a large garage in this location, then most of their employees would be within two or three blocks of that garage.....

.... This centralizes some of their employees (not certain, but I believe they have far more than 800 downtown) in a single spot near most of their property. If the employees are paying for their own parking, it would be right in XTO's wheelhouse to move some of them into no-cost parking that they own. (XTO does a lot for their employees. Way more than the average large company.)

XTO (Exxon) would then appear to have a very "big" heart.  Is Exxon always this generous?  I would like to believe in my assumption that a for profit corporation would always be seeking to maximize returns on investments.  Isn't it being reported that gas producers are laying off employees and shutting down rigs to reduce losses? Removing a prime site from development to provide free parking for employees seems at odds with economic principles,

This was a big lie! 

Exxon/Mobil and its Saudi Brothers are on the way down.  Its renewables -  Electric cars and clean industry such as technology and service industry.

All I will say is "thank you Exxon/Mobil for gifting us 800 parking spaces now available to use for a growing entertainment district.

Residence Inn the way has been cleared.

#243 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:17 PM

Reposted....Damn!

C728RnYVUAEk9Qi.jpg

C728Kl5VMAE2Rws.jpg

...and now, back to my Garage Conspiracy - Can the company that purchased the XTO Garage stand pat and providing free parking to 800 XTO employees while two new announced hotels in very close proximity seem to need parking.  Its getting very crowded between 6th and 10th Streets.

Seems like there will be some new pressure put on the vacant section of the W.T. Waggoner Block to build yet more parking if XTO takes up 100% of the available parking at the Cowtown Parking Plaza.

What appears so interesting about the new hotels is that they do not show a parking structure in their renderings as though the hotels have already prearranged with nearby parking structures to meet their needs. It is just a hunch, but not without some visible signs.

#244 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:18 AM

I agree that garage seems to be disappointing, even for a garage.  I'm curious what element(s) people think should have been rejected by DDRB and what should have happened there instead.

#245 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

So, is there any numbers to indicate how the garage is doing; has the demand been there?

#246 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:36 PM

So, is there any numbers to indicate how the garage is doing; has the demand been there?

In what way?

The retail still isn't leased and, far as I'm aware, it's still for XTO employees only.

#247 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:06 PM

In as much as, is the garage parking occupancy at 25%, 40%, 55% etc.

The garage has new ownership as XTO sold it shortly after it received DDRB approval. The silver lining in the disappointment that the garage was at the time of its announcement is that the garage would meet the needs and spur nearby development. As an example, the garage would conveniently address the guest parking needs of the proposed Residence Inn Marriot Tower.

#248 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:54 AM

We have a first tenant - Common Grounds. I am unsure if this is Common Ground, the womens spiritual place located at Sundance West currently, or something else. Common Grounds is also a Coffee Shop in Waco.

#249 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:10 AM

We have a first tenant - Common Grounds. I am unsure if this is Common Ground, the womens spiritual place located at Sundance West currently, or something else. Common Grounds is also a Coffee Shop in Waco.

Took long enough... 

7fwPZnE.png

#250 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:24 PM

I hope it’s a coffee shop

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Parking Garages, New Construction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users