10 replies to this topic

#1 resurrectionrealm

resurrectionrealm

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

What is the area around McCart & Seminary like for families? Family friendly or crime? I saw some older homes there and was wondering what the condition of neighborhood is

#2 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

The area has gone down over the years and there is quite a bit of crime in the area. The homes on McCart south of Seminary are in poor shape and some of them are boarded up. You will see many with burglar bars around the doors and windows. There are some pockets of homes in decent condition to the west as you move toward South Hills.

#3 resurrectionrealm

resurrectionrealm

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (bailey @ Jun 23 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The area has gone down over the years and there is quite a bit of crime in the area. The homes on McCart south of Seminary are in poor shape and some of them are boarded up. You will see many with burglar bars around the doors and windows. There are some pockets of homes in decent condition to the west as you move toward South Hills.

Trying to find an older home to fix up...without risking our lives. The two homes we saw are on Gambrell and McCart and are now multi-units. Hoping to restore to single family. What we have seen they should be able to be restored. Lots of original stuff still there. Area is kind of busy though. Seems one block looks good next is run down.

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:44 PM

^^ That is very typical of that area.

#5 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:05 PM

I would stay West of McCart and at least 6 or 8 blocks South of Seminary however if you go too far South - like South of McCart as it intersects Westcreek, it starts getting questionable.
Are you planning to do this as a flipper for profit or a move-in for long term?

#6 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:34 PM

Isn't this is still a neighborhood popular among seminary students?

#7 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:51 PM

I'm sure a number of seminary students live in this area but they have a large housing area just West of McCart between Pafford and seminary as well as the ones on Seminary near the school and it seems there are a number of the students renting in the area around and South of Rosemont off James.

#8 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:34 AM

Sad to hear it's gone downhill. When I was in Hi-school lots working-class friends lived in that area. Ethnically, some were in respectable Hispanic working-class family homes. (Hi "Hairy Toes," Class of '75 If you read this!) But that was a long time ago.

#9 resurrectionrealm

resurrectionrealm

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE (Papaw @ Jul 11 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would stay West of McCart and at least 6 or 8 blocks South of Seminary however if you go too far South - like South of McCart as it intersects Westcreek, it starts getting questionable.
Are you planning to do this as a flipper for profit or a move-in for long term?

We are looking to restore and live in ourselves

#10 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:57 PM

Trying to find an older home to fix up...without risking our lives. The two homes we saw are on Gambrell and McCart and are now multi-units. Hoping to restore to single family. What we have seen they should be able to be restored. Lots of original stuff still there. Area is kind of busy though. Seems one block looks good next is run down.
[/quote]

I know the houses you are talking about and there are a few like that in the area. Most of the homes though are small 2 bedroom 1 bath homes. If you go west on Gambrell the area is better maintained but the houses are much smaller. I personally wouldn't live at Gambrell and Seminary. Too much traffic and crime in the area.

#11 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:45 PM

I agree with bailey as I also know the houses your speaking of. I think you have a good idea and it will work for you and you have your priorities in order by selecting the right area first. I have been lucky so far in the So. Hills area as a lot of the neighbors have been here since their homes were new - 50 to 60 years ago and everyone has kept on top of their investment and hardly any one parks on the street. But you can go just a few blocks and see streets lined with parked cars, bright red, blue, pink houses with artificial flowers and large groups of mexicans sitting and standing in the yard drinking beer each evening. You really don't have any control of this moving into your area but by studying the areas and possible talking to some of the residences you can increase your odds of this not happening for a while.
I would look for areas with retirees and few curb parked cars with well kept lawns. But, over a period of time the retirees die and sell to the young and the gate is open. happy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users