• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

I just watched a nice 30-minute documentary on TV by NBC 5 revisiting their 65-year history in Fort Worth.  I think you can watch it here:

http://www.nbcdfw.co...5-Turns-65.html

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

They started broadcasting from the new studios this weekend, but they are keeping the look of the set under wraps until the news after the football game tonight.  I noticed the change last night at 10 when I saw a nighttime shot of Dallas behind the anchor that had moving cars in part of the image.  This morning, the Fort Worth skyline was behind the anchor.  As the sun came up, the image lightened, so it was a live shot.  It appeared that it was taken from the top of Villa de Leon.  Channel 5 uploaded pictures of their new set on Friday.  Here's the link: http://www.nbcdfw.co...FlowFB_DFWBrand"

#3 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

Bobbie Wygant is a Fort Worth treasure. My wife sat with her hat a church dinner about 2 weeks ago and came home with amazing stories of stars.  A very nice person. 

www.fortworthview.com

#4 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

Thanks Nitixope for the NBC 5 documentary download.  My childhood memories are of Harold Taft, Rus Bloxom, Bobbie Wygant, and The Texas News.  I noted that WBAP's logo included the geographical location "Fort Worth-Dallas."  Back in early evolution of Broadcast TV in our area, Channels 5 and KTVT 11 ("Hey Bud whatcha lookin at?) were Fort Worth stations; WFAA 8 and KRLD 4 were Dallas stations; and Channel 13 public television was shared by all in north Texas.  Now the reality is that all the TV broadcast stations say "Dallas-Fort Worth," brag that they serve "all of North Texas" and, of course, emphasize Dallas coverage.  

#5 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

I find it interesting (and sometimes a little visually overwhelming) the new studio layouts for WFAA and KXAS NBC5.  The other night I was watching 10pm news for WFAA and Gloria Campos would walk from one flat screen monitor to another reading the news....thinking maybe it was the camera guy's first day, he kept zooming in and out trying to find the shot.  I gave it a minute thinking it was an accident, but eventually I had to change channels because it was unsettling to watch.  Do you think these new studios are too over-the-top?  Is less more when it comes to watching the news or am I just stuck in a bygone era?

#6 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

Not sure what your point is here, but if you're referring to the more elaborate theater of anchor news (like  walking around the set instead of reciting the news behind  the desk), yes I'd say you're stuck in a bygone era.  Welcome to the 21st Century of entertainment news!

#7 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

No point, just an observation.  I think it was a technical issue that night.  I tried it again last night and they seemed to have it under control.  Maybe I'll just stick to listening to the news in my car.

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

I'm sure that many of you have seen Channel 5's view of Fort Worth from the roof of Villa DeLeon.   It is a nice skyline shot of the city, the Courthouse, the Paddock Viaduct, and the Trinity River.  Either Friday or Saturday, as they were signing off, they showed another view of the skyline from the west.  It was a quick shot, but I thought it looked like the view from the top of The Stayton.  At the time I saw it, I wondered if they would use it for the big screen backdrop on their news set.  Well, I was fed up with the Cowboy game by 5, so I flipped over to see the news.  They had the skyline shot on the big screen.  As I looked at it, I'm almost certain it is from the roof of the Stayton.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Local News Station, NBC 5, NBCDFW.com, David Finfrock, Bobbie Wygant, Bob Scheiffer, Harold Taft, Karen Hughes, Amon Carter, Broadcast Hill

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users