73 replies to this topic

#1 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:20 AM

We bought our home south Ft Worth/North Crowley suburban sprawl 20 years ago when we returned to Ft Worth.  It's been okay living here, but virtually everything we do (and all the bike rides I make) take us north of I-20.  We've talked about selling the place and moving north for almost ten years, and we're finally pulling the trigger.

We'll be signing paperwork in the next day or so to sell our house and buy another home about 4 miles north in the South Hills area, near Westcreek Drive.

We're kind of excited.  The new home is smaller than our old one (we want to downsize now that our sons are grown).  It will be a little more expensive than our old home though, because we're selling our current place "as-is".  One of the reasons we've hung onto it this long is that it needs updating and we just haven't gotten around to that.  The new home is already updated.  So the basic exchange is that we're paying the extra money to *not* have to put up with the hassle and dust of renovating our current place, and we end up much closer to the things we like to do. 

The new place is right along some of the bike routes I've used over the years, so I've been through this area at all times of day.  It's a pretty quiet neighborhood.

My blog: Doohickie

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

Congratulations!  We're facing the same prospect.  Our current house needs a ton of updating (we've done some, but we're not even close to being finished) and we're looking to sell it as-is to upgrade to something updated with a more open floor plan.  We keep hearing that our house is perfect for the current market even needing so much work: nice, quiet, well-maintained neighborhood, the better schools in the district, and 4 bedrooms with a split master.  I feel like we can get more than double what we owe on it and close to double what we paid 15 years ago. 

I would like to get closer to work in FW, but we're looking to stay close to my wife's work which is also my daughter's school and my daughter's extracurricular activities.  Good luck on the move.  Were you able to sell and get into something else quickly or did you buy first and sell later?

#3 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:33 AM

Oh, and that also means we're moving out of Jungusland and into Zedahville.  ;)

#4 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:37 AM

Congratulations!  We're facing the same prospect.  Our current house needs a ton of updating (we've done some, but we're not even close to being finished) and we're looking to sell it as-is to upgrade to something updated with a more open floor plan.  We keep hearing that our house is perfect for the current market even needing so much work: nice, quiet, well-maintained neighborhood, the better schools in the district, and 4 bedrooms with a split master.  I feel like we can get more than double what we owe on it and close to double what we paid 15 years ago. 

I would like to get closer to work in FW, but we're looking to stay close to my wife's work which is also my daughter's school and my daughter's extracurricular activities.  Good luck on the move.  Were you able to sell and get into something else quickly or did you buy first and sell later?

We're doing a simultaneous sell/buy thing.  The buyer has agreed to a leaseback of two weeks so we can move to the new place.

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:40 PM

Congrats! You'll have to ride a few extra miles a day to make up for it 😊

#6 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:53 PM

Congrats! You'll have to ride a few extra miles a day to make up for it

Actually I'll probably make up for it by riding more frequently.  If I'm closer to the ride start it's less likely I'll cancel due to weather conditions (big difference riding home 3-5 miles in the rain, into the wind, than 8-10).

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:30 PM

Congratulations!  I think you will like it in South Hills.

#8 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:11 PM

We're looking forward to it.

We received all the E-docs this evening.  Confusing as heck (when you're not used to them).  I need to call the realtor in the morning.

#9 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

E-docs are easy. You just adopt the initials and signature by the font provided and once you agree they work in place of a wet signing. Im a real estate agent and work with them all the time.

#10 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

Except when they don't.  The realtor had to come out to my house because what he saw didn't agree with what I saw.  Had to do the main contract by hand.

#11 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:06 PM

So we have a signed contract on our house, the seller of the other house responded to our offer, objecting to one of the terms and offering an adjustment to the sales price to remedy it, so pending everyone signing, we have a contract on the new house.

That leaves financing (ours should be fine, the other buyer made a cash offer), and the inspections.  This might happen.  :)

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:21 PM

That sounds great, Doohickie.  You will have to change your location on the forum to 76133.

#13 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:27 PM

Inspection of the new place Monday morning.

#14 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

The inspection was a disaster.  The listing claimed "new electrical, new plumbing, 12" of attic insulation."  It was all lies.  The electrical that was new was sloppily done (didn't bother to put covers on junction boxes or nail them down!)  They ran a bunch of new plugs especially in the kitchen, but didn't hook up the grounds (even on GFCIs!).  They added two parts to the house:  an attached shed and a second bathroom.  They put flat roofs on both, but just ran the shingles down them and didn't put proper flat roofs on.  The new siding left a lot of gaps around features.  It was just a mess.

Looking at other homes tonight.

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:45 PM

Ooph. Disaster averted though!

#16 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:15 PM

Ouch! :( Hate to hear that.

-Dylan

#17 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:28 PM

Yikes.  Sorry to hear that.  That's why I'm itching to sell mine as is and why I'm reluctant to go into anything older that's been remodeled.  We stopped in a builder's open house in a neighborhood we like over the weekend and I was floored at the prices.  I knew it would high, but I wasn't expecting as high as we found.  

#18 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:01 PM

Looked at four homes Monday night.  Two have potential, but my wife likes one and I like the other and I don't think we will agree on either one.

We have another half dozen or so to look at.  One is a bit above our price target but the location is fantastic, right in town.  It's been on the market a while so maybe they will consider negotiating the price.  Another isn't in our desired location, but is a bit closer for my bicycle rides (1-2 miles closer to ride starts), is a mile from my son's apartment, and a mile and a half to the CTP which would be good for my wife's commute.  It looks to be in good shape, has a nice covered back patio, and is a little bigger than the one we turned down.

I'm hoping we can see both tonight.

I'd like to get back on track by the end of the week.

#19 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

Hey, does anyone know what the city code is regarding putting a garage on a corner lot?  (i.e., put a driveway on the side of the yard, rather than the front)... on an existing home?

#20 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

We just found a house that, while a bit smaller than we want, is next door to a friend of mine, and across the street from another friend.  Interesting....

#21 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:03 AM

Yeah... too small.

We saw one house tonight that would be excellent, but the neighborhood is "meh."  My wife found a For Sale By Owner on Trulia that we want to look at tomorrow.  If that house looks good we will put an offer on it; if not we'll probably go for the "meh" neighborhood house.

#22 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

It's quite a job looking for a house.  Both times I have gone house shopping, my wife and I looked at over 20 houses before finding "the one."

Good luck.

#23 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:23 AM

Looks like the "meh" house it is.  Realtor is writing up the offer.

#24 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

We looked at more than 50 houses over the course of a month when we bought ours.  It was agonizing.  It was 2003 and it was a buyer's market with tons of inventory available.  We saw some bad houses.  I mean really bad.  We only saw 3 houses that I would have even considered making an offer on and even the one we ended up buying still needed a ton of work.  I could have started a blog about bad house renovations: a vacant house where each bedroom had massive smoke and fire damage to the walls and carpets, same house had all of the built in appliances painted fire engine red, a beautiful, updated house on a huge corner lot that was underpriced - we discovered why when we saw that entire house had white marble tile with royal blue grout, the house we bought had the entire living room lined with heavy duty cedar plank shelves. 

#25 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:10 PM

After writing up the offer, I think we're changing our minds.  Again.  We had some questions about another house (age of AC & roof, foundation repair/warranty), and may jump on a different house.  The house itself isn't exactly what we want, layout-wise, but it's close and we could make some minor changes I think.  But we like the location better than the "meh" house.

#26 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:45 PM

As a realtor and investor there are lots “HGTV” specials out there. The more you see the more confidence you will get. The downside of this hot market you don’t get much time to think before someone else snaps it up, which in turn generates more to try their hand at flipping.

#27 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:31 PM

We put an offer on another house tonight. Let's see if it gets accepted.

#28 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:49 PM

Well, let's see if we do better this time.  Our offer was accepted.  Pending inspections (the buyer hasn't inspected my house yet!) and financing, we will be living in South Hills come March.

#29 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:51 AM

The inspection on the house we're selling was supposed to be last week but the inspector didn't show.  They've got it rescheduled for this Wednesday.  At that point we should know whether they're going to try to lower their offer (the house is as-is, so we won't be doing any repairs, but I fully expect them to try to cut things back a bit.  A little is okay, a lot will sink the deal).

Meanwhile, the inspection on our new place is this afternoon (fingers crossed all around).

#30 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:37 PM

The house needs some updating, particularly on the electrical system and windows (original windows, mostly painted shut), but overall it's in good shape for a house 60+ years old.

#31 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:43 PM

So, the buyer did their inspection on our current home today and this evening they accepted the property. So one way or the other we're moving.

For the new home, our option period ends Friday.  We have a few things to discuss but I think it's going to happen!

#32 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:48 AM

And.... the seller of our new home accepted our request for concession on some of the required repairs. 

WE HAVE A DEAL.

#33 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

I'm homeless. 

We closed on our old house today, we close on the new one tomorrow.

(Don't worry, we have a two week leaseback on the old house.)

#34 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:55 PM

And I'm no longer homeless.  Closed on the new digs today.

28958776_1573063766075841_62516944663730

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:09 PM

It looks nice.

#36 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:40 PM

Congrats! You seem to have some sort of alien fungus in your foliage though.

#37 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

Got out of the old house Wednesday night.  The last load or two was simply tossing stuff into the car whether we wanted it or not.  On the way to the new house I dropped some junk off at Goodwill.

We had the electrical system at the new house upgraded, as it had an obsolete and unsupported Federal Pacific breaker box and a two-wire system (no grounds).  The guy who estimated the job said it would be done in 3 to 5 days.  They started Wednesday March 14; the upgrades were finally finished today (Friday, March 23).  They're coming back tomorrow to do some drywall patching and paint touch-up.  We paid them tonight.  They were by and large good guys, but the guy who estimated our job severely underbid the effort.  So it goes.  They respected their estimated price though so I can't complain.

Friday a plumber was supposed to come out and put in a new shower pan and fixtures in the master shower.  He texted Friday morning and said he had the flu and said he would come on Saturday.  I texted him back that if he's still sick he needs to get well, but he said he'd see how he felt in the morning.  So he may or may not come on Saturday.

So... a quick summary of what we did since buying the house:

Week of 3/12: 

.  A large and a small tree cut down.  The large tree was leaning on our eaves when the wind blew, so it had to go.  The smaller one was stuck under another tree and the two trees were crowding each other. 

. Several minor plumbing issues taken care of (including the drain under the kitchen sink which looked like a Habitrail!)

. Sections of fence replaced to make sure the dogs were contained in the back yard.

. AC serviced and some repairs done on the exhaust.

. Electrical upgrades started.  After installing the new breaker box, they didn't get the power back on at all until midnight Saturday.  Our first night in the house was Sunday.  And power was limited to primarily the bedrooms and bathrooms; we had to run an extension cord to the fridge and really couldn't cook in the house.

Week of 3/19:

. Finished the electrical upgrades.

. Three new windows installed in the two occupied bedrooms.  All the windows were original and painted shut.  We wanted windows that could be used for egress in the event of a fire.  We plan to do all of them eventually.

. Supplied several new lighting fixtures and ceiling fans to the electrical contractor who installed them as they did the upgrades.  I put in an over-range microwave Thursday night and reinstalled the dishwasher Friday while the electricians did "hard stuff".

The house is livable though, and our stuff is all here.  Now comes the task of unpacking everything.  I forgot how much work moving is.

One thing that made the price of the house reasonable was that it's close (a block in) from Interstate 20.  While inside you don't hear too much noise and/or it's just vague background noise.  In the yard it's always there, but that was something we came into eyes wide open.  But as I'm typing this at about 10:30 at night, I realize that the interstate comes alive during the night time hours with truckers and motorcycle racers.  For the most part though it registers as white noise and actually helps me sleep.  I grew up near the New York State Thruway so the freeway noise is familiar to me.

#38 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:21 PM

It sounds pretty good.  I'm sure you will like being "inside the loop". (barely)

#39 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

I joined some of my neighbors this morning for Cowtown Cleanup.  We picked up trash along Wellview Avenue.  Good to meet some of my neighbors.

#40 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:30 AM

I went over to the old house last night to check mail one last time and pick up a garbage can I'd left in the backyard.  From all signs, no one from the buyer has been there yet.  (The house was bought by a company that will do some fixes to the property and then rent it out.)  I guess they'll get around to it when they get around to it.

#41 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:53 PM

Sounds like you are enjoying the new place.

#42 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

Yes... well, yes and no.  It will be fantastic once we can get unpacked, but right now there are boxes everywhere and we can't find anything.

#43 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

Oh the clutterdness is always a pain to deal with

#44 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:47 PM

Yes.

I mean, we're making progress.  I think by this weekend we'll have the living room, kitchen and perhaps the dining room in some sort of order. 

The family room will probably be a disaster for months.  Our bedroom will be messy for a while because we're having the master shower redone.  (And may have some work done on the hall bath after that.)  Maybe someday we'll actually be able to park in the garage.

#45 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

I miss having à garage. And storage space at that

#46 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

We did what you did and moved from Columbus Trail and Summer Creek Ranch to the Burton Hill Trinity Trails neighborhood. We have been going through the same thing for months.

It is a process and the only advice I have is to PURGE!

#47 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:42 PM

Actually, I recommending purging even when you haven't moved.

#48 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:55 AM

We did what you did and moved from Columbus Trail and Summer Creek Ranch to the Burton Hill Trinity Trails neighborhood. We have been going through the same thing for months.

It is a process and the only advice I have is to PURGE!

I take it you consider this an upgrade, neighborhood-wise.

Here's a picture from Sunday morning.  The living room is probably the most settled room.  Just about every other room is still very cluttered.

29573257_1612099932172224_89589041165043

#49 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:53 AM

For reference, here's a similar view from the real estate listing:

c123810948ace363a7fafe70960818c4l-m6xd-w

#50 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:42 AM

I changed the title of the thread to simply South Hills.

There is really a nice collection of housing stock in this neighborhood.  Eventually I may try to take some pictures illustrating the bridge from simple post-war housing to sleek mid-century modern to traditional style housing that occurs as you move from north to south through this area.

There's a certain charm to South Hills that, if I had to put my finger on it, seems to derive from the fact that the houses are relatively modest, in the 1000-2000 sq ft range.  Very few of the homes are over-the-top.  They're very sensible and frequently well thought-out, making efficient use of the available square footage while infusing a pretty good sense of style in many cases.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: South Hills

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users