#1 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:51 PM

http://www.fortworth...921c309497.html

$20.25 million would be a decent sized project even for TCU, but for Wesleyan this is a huge deal.  Going in the dead center of campus.

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

Wesleyan seems to have been making a lot of investments recently, the new front gate, now the student center, and potentially a new football stadium here soon. Great to see the school doing well, and hopefully the neighborhood follows suit. 

#3 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:30 AM

A lot of the improvement are from the law school sale.  The commercials and billboards are part o the contract that a$m is paying out over the next several years.  Remember that the sale was to be a joint venture of law/business schools with the marketing paid for by a$m.  When the deal changed, Wesleyan pushed to keep the language on the advertising side and was part of the new sale K.

#4 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:56 PM

That is quite impressive indeed.  Looking at a satellite view of the Texas Wesleyan campus, there will be some loss to Texas Wesleyan's main campus lawn, but this will definitely make their campus prettier.  It also matches their clock tower quite nicely, and provides a contrast with the green-roofed buildings (eg. the West Library, Armstrong-Mabee Business Center, etc.) that seem to dominate their campus architecture.

The big question is how the rejuvenation of the Wesleyan campus will affect the Polytechnic neighborhood.  I would love to start seeing some large-scale reinvestment into that neighborhood, such as what has happened with the River District along White Settlement Road, that would promote a "college town" feel along Rosedale (that might be akin to a miniature version of the University Drive-Berry Street area next to TCU).  This would also make Wesleyan a more appealing residential campus, and they could try and target more of the traditional undergraduates that would otherwise consider small liberal arts colleges (LACs, eg. Austin College in Sherman, Southwestern University; Texas Wesleyan's variety of professional programs make their school a regional university rather than a LAC), especially with the revitalization of the surrounding neighborhood.  There is little commercial activity near Austin College or Southwestern University (their campuses are in residential neighborhoods), and something like this could help Wesleyan distinguish themselves from these liberal arts schools.  Downtown is also pretty close for those who want to get off-campus and do something fun, but some coffee shops or similar places along Rosedale could always post flyers of events going on in the city to encourage Wesleyan students to explore more. 

I also wonder what will happen to the current campus life facility, which is called the Brown-Lupton Campus Center, according to Wesleyan's official campus map (https://txwes.edu/me...p/txwes-map.pdf). Perhaps Wesleyan will convert it to classrooms?

I have so much trouble saying that name because the Brown-Lupton name also graces TCU's largest campus life facility.  But the Brown and Lupton families must have really given to the Fort Worth community through their philanthropy over the years; their name is also present on the exhibits area next to the James L. and Eunice West Arena (whose names also mark Wesleyan's library) in the Will Rogers Memorial Center.  Not to mention any facilities named for the individual Brown and Lupton families separately (eg. TCU's baseball stadium).

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#5 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:36 AM

My son graduated from Wesleyan a few years ago; he missed all this excitement (although he's a fairly active alum and has been back to campus frequently).

My blog: Doohickie

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:12 PM

As of today

D2cwoMDX4AAYG_6.jpg

#7 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:53 PM

The other cool thing about the area around the campus is that a new restaurant is opening up across the street in the retail strip. That is big news as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Poly, Eastside, TWU, Universities, New Construction, Student Center

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users