21 replies to this topic

#1 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:57 PM

Tonight, a drowning occurred in the Trinity River in the same vicinity as drowning that occurred a year ago. This tragedy bares similar circumstances with last year's incident which you may recall involved a cyclist making a heroic rescue to prevent a multiple drowning. Why is this crossing so treacherous? What can the Trinity River Water District do to remedy this deadly situation?

Keep Fort Worth folksy

#2 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:46 AM

I think it depends on exactly where and what were the circumstances.

Different areas of the river will have different hazards, you can post signs, create barriers but people will either ignore or go around.

The only way to prevent people from drowning is to keep them out of the water and since that does not appear to be an option I'm not sure if we'll ever be able to totally prevent such tragedies.Very sad.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#3 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:28 AM

I believe one of the improvements in the TRV plan is to make the river banks much less steep. Not sure if this would help or not.

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

From the pics shown on the news last night, it looks like they were on the chute dam near the FWRR bridge. This is such a shame. That is one of the only areas in town where people can actually get close to and interact with the river.

#5 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:00 AM

Nothing can prevent drownings like this. (Outside of drain every body of water... and when you get to the Pacific Ocean that becomes troublesome.)

If you are going to jump out of airplanes, learn to parachute.

Drowning when you can't swim, dying in a low speed motorcycle accident when not wearing a helmet, not wearing a safety belt in your car, breaking your leg skateboarding down a handrail. Minimizing risks. We all take risks, but survival dictates minimizing risks.

It is all on a continuum. What are the risks? What are the consequences? How much fun is it? How much do you want to live? Would life in a wheelchair be acceptable to you? Do you have kids depending on you? All relative.

Should you feel as sorry for someone that dies foolishly catching a baseball 30' in the air as somebody dying of cancer or getting hit by a truck while working construction? I try not to. Anybody dying is sad. And I admit to doing foolish things. But don't feel sorry for me if I get struck by lightning standing on my balcony taking lightning pictures in a big storm. I knew the risks.
www.fortworthview.com

#6 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:26 PM

Not sure how treacherous the crossing is, but I think the primary problem is urban people not appreciating how dangerous nature can be. Flowing water + slippery = danger. Things we old codgers take for granted, our younger citizens just don't understand. Life ain't a video game and you can't just hit "New Game" option.

#7 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

http://www.myfoxdfw....n-trinity-river

I would like to see a sign posted on both sides of this dam with a body count of how many people have drowned here. I don't want to have to do this again. But it will happen again. I'm thinking I will get a rope and a floatie for my office.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#8 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

The purpose of that dam is for kayaking, isn't it?  Why don't they put signs up to state that it isn't a river crossing, and that lifejackets are required "beyond this point" or something like that?

My blog: Doohickie

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

The purpose of the dam is to keep the water at a certain level.  The purpose of the chute in the middle is for kayaking.  That is where most people fall into the water.  Maybe some sort of barrier should be put up to keep people off of the dam and additional signs warning of the dangers. 

#10 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Well, yeah, I understand that dams in the Trinity keep the river at a certain level for that section, John.

#11 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

I will not sit helplessly in my office and watch another person die at this dam. I have considered purchasing a water rescue rope and float bag to keep in my office but, as was obviously demonstrated Wednesday, I cannot save everyone and it can't be my responsibility to watch the dam.

This site is an attractive nuisance and needs to be changed. I understand that the sluice is designed for kayaking. There is a city park and playground at the top of the bank. There is a handicap access ramp down the bank to the dam. If access is not restricted in some manner, then the sluice needs to be replaced with slots that can be walked over. I understand the need for recreational activities for kayakers. But not at this cost. Not next to the park.

#12 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Very sad situation and image for an other wise beautiful oasis

#13 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Or maybe a sign directing people to the pedestrian bridge less than a mile down river.  All of these deaths have been tragic, but the details behind this one struck me as particularly sad.

#14 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

There are signs. I saw them while I was waiting for the fire department. I just don't see more signs being anymore helpful than the existing signs.

#15 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

http://www.wfaa.com/...-189523521.html                                                                            It happened again yesterday...  Luckily this time nobody died.

#16 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

This was a featured story on the MSNBC local DFW feed tonight; Hundreds of emergency calls since 2007 at the Trinity River low water dam...

http://www.nbcdfw.co...-189954401.html

#17 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Instead of a simple No Pedestrian type of sign, how about signage stating:

. DROWNING DANGER AREA: 3 people have drown here since 2007.
. Beware of swift river currents in this area.
. Kayak access point. No access allowed without life jackets.
. No pedestrian crossing of river at this point. Use bridge to the north.

Put in some kind of access-limiting guard rail (bearing in mind that kayaks need to get through) that forces people to walk by the signs before getting to the river, and have two or three signs with the warnings. In BIG letters. Maybe the guard rail should be a 6-foot chain link fence that makes someone walk back and forth parallel to the river maybe 30 feet to get to the actual river bank in that area. I think people see it as a shortcut and don't appreciate the danger. The chain link fence will provide a more visible barrier, and chain link will help send the message that you really want to think about whether you want to go in there, and also by making them walk back and forth parallel to the river bank will make it seem like less of a shortcut. I'm sure the kayakers wouldn't be happy, but maybe restricted access is better than removing access at that point altogether for safety's sake.

#18 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

I remember in my own work hearing that warning signs can often result in an increase in the behavior you're trying to discourage.  Like "Don't feed the animals" results in more people doing it.  Or the same with "Don't litter" or "Bus your own table" or "Don't sit on the handrail".  I've tried searching via Google and come up empty, but I seem to recall that someone did research proving that hypothesis.

#19 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

Well maybe, but if you get to that point, at least the authorities can say they did their due diligence and can chalk further drownings up as Darwin Awards.

#20 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

I remember in my own work hearing that warning signs can often result in an increase in the behavior you're trying to discourage.  Like "Don't feed the animals" results in more people doing it.  Or the same with "Don't litter" or "Bus your own table" or "Don't sit on the handrail".  I've tried searching via Google and come up empty, but I seem to recall that someone did research proving that hypothesis.

Or like "Don't feed the alligators!"  (Espanol: No alimente los caimanes!) :swg:

#21 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

There appears to be a new sign today. I saw workers from TRWD down there this morning. There is something there, but I can't read it from my sixth floor office. Maybe a lunchtime jaunt to the dam is in order.

#22 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

Thankfully No this time! - nothing as tragic as another drowning has occurred, but what I viewed last night on the local news regarding additional bond money Fort Worth parks was eerie: A man carrying a child, presumably his own, walking on the Trinity River low water dam in Trinity Park; the same location of multiple drownings recently.  I know that it is irresponsible for the man to be doing so, and I think it might be dubious for the news to air this stunt knowing the tragic history associated with this location, yet it clearly demonstrates that we still continue to have a serious problem with this dam at this location.  Are there signs yet to prohibit this kind of thing or better yet barriers?

By the way, noticing that the latest Ford Company "Red, White and Blue - Texas" promotion uses the Fort Worth Skyline. Could this be only my imagination?

Keep Fort Worth folksy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users