• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:26 AM

We are finishing up construction on 1007 South Main for Hatfield Properties. Pretty big improvement over what was there before.

Not sure how to upload pics here, but here's a link to the latest images.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskUjycdi

#2 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:26 AM

So that's basically a block west of Pouring Glory?  I didn't even realize something was being built; with the Main St. construction I don't cruise Main near as much.

My blog: Doohickie

#3 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:25 AM

Woah, I didn't even know this began construction...

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#4 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:43 PM

So that's basically a block west of Pouring Glory?  I didn't even realize something was being built; with the Main St. construction I don't cruise Main near as much.

That's it. We're waiting on the City to finish Main Street and the sidewalks and landscaping.

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

Certainly some eye catching colors there.

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

Doohickie, I had been keeping tabs on it while spending some time at Pouring Glory.  I will admit that I haven't been over there that much, but my observation has not been from driving down Main Street.

#7 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:26 PM

I gave up alcohol for Lent, so I haven't been to Pouring Glory much lately.

#8 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

Certainly some eye catching colors there.

We didn't pick the colors. However, I think its a pretty cool design.

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:16 PM

Per Bud Kennedy

Former sushi chef Tuan Pham will open Four Sisters - Taste of Vietnam by the holidays at 1001 S Main St

My photo

DFybSOyV0AAhW4w.jpg

#10 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:33 PM

Bleh.  It is very plain.  There is nothing interesting about the exterior.  Why does most of the new construction down there look like boxes with awnings?  Yawn.

#11 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:03 PM

Bleh.  It is very plain.  There is nothing interesting about the exterior.  Why does most of the new construction down there look like boxes with awnings?  Yawn.

And with non-functioning awnings. Why put something up that is supposed to provide cover from rain but it is completely open. I'm so perplexed by this design trend. W. 7th has tons of them.

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:06 PM

Sometimes, those type of devices are used as sun shades, and were not meant to shield from the rain.

#13 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

I would think with the holes it wouldn't shield rain nor sun. It just very odd to me.

The building itself I don't hate but it's not exciting and kinda forgettable.... except for the lime green

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:16 PM

Sun shades can be very effective with a lot of the area being open, if the members are designed, placed, and sized properly. 

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:27 PM

The middle north facing window on the 2nd floor looks like it fell over during construction and they just left it like that. 

Edit- this isnt a criticism, but what it makes me think of. I think it's whimsical and entertaining. 

#16 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

The middle north facing window on the 2nd floor looks like it fell over during construction and they just left it like that.

Austin... come on now. That is some cutting edge design going on right there. <insert sarcasm>

#17 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:40 AM

The rear on that same unit facing Pouring Glory has some of the same type windows. I was wondering what the reasoning for them was when I was watching them framing it up. The windows are pretty tall in regards to the floors. Those horizontal ones might be at head height.

Awnings are not always just for looks. The new energy codes and window assembly choices sometimes require awnings to make the envelope work in the energy analysis. Perforations, louver type awnings, etc. does affect the extreme solar heat gain that the buildings in our climate zone have to contend with.

Erik France

#18 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:46 PM

My favorite part of that building is the south wall, which is painted dark blue and has a sort of celestial pattern of glass block.  Is kind of cool.  I don't mind the overall design. There is a lot going on in a small space but real test will be how it ages and evolves once tenants move in and perhaps modify windows, entrances, add signage, etc. 

I didn't catch who architect is for this project.  Anyone know?

#19 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:51 PM

97w. They've got most of S. Main on lockdown.

#20 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:43 AM

Talk all the shit y'all want, but this building is 100x better than what was there before.

#21 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:03 AM

Talk all the shit y'all want, but this building is 100x better than what was there before.

...huh?

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#22 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

Yes you are right... it is 100x better.

You are the builder right? I think the job you guys did is great work and it looks just like the rendering. However, unless you are the architect you can't say, with a straight face, that the window on it's side doesn't look odd. Other than that I don't think anyone on here is "talking shit".

#23 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

I'd love to see a night photo of the South end with the lights on in the southern unit. The glass blocks in the dark painted CMU wall look pretty cool during the day. I bet it would be really interesting look at night.

Erik France

#24 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

Yes you are right... it is 100x better.

You are the builder right? I think the job you guys did is great work and it looks just like the rendering. However, unless you are the architect you can't say, with a straight face, that the window on it's side doesn't look odd. Other than that I don't think anyone on here is "talking shit".

Are you serious here? Read all the posts above bashing the boxiness, the awnings, the "cutting edge design". 

Yes, we built it, exactly per the design. That said, I work with many architects and I can't say enough good things about 97w. They're good, humble guys.

Hell, why don't you guys post some pics of the buildings you've designed, developed or built? That should be fun.

#25 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

CB, I think your project is good for the neighborhood and I can find little if any about it to be critical of.

#26 tcecil

tcecil

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

I have no opinion on the building or what was there before. I do appreciate, however, being able to read what people think of buildings, both positive and negative, whether or not they have designed anything or built anything of their own (or whether or not what they designed or built was any good). I don't think that expressing opinions should be discouraged or disparaged on this forum. Seems pretty harmless to me.

#27 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

Are you serious here? Read all the posts above bashing the boxiness, the awnings, the "cutting edge design". 

Yes, we built it, exactly per the design. That said, I work with many architects and I can't say enough good things about 97w. They're good, humble guys.

Hell, why don't you guys post some pics of the buildings you've designed, developed or built? That should be fun.

Ok, so you win. We were talking crap.

Is the project boxy?... yes.
Is that a bad thing?... not necessarily
Does the 2nd floor window look like it's on it side?... yes

That's not talking crap that is stating the obvious.

Also, the discussion on the awnings was not specific to this project at all. If you actually read my post about it I stated that those types of awnings are being used a lot on most new construction and I didn't understand that current trend. To me the design wouldn't provide any cover from rain because of the openings and then someone pointed out in another comment that they are used more for shade regulation than cover from the elements. It was a question on design trends not the building itself.

Furthermore, I'm sure the guys at 97w are great humble guys and this project should do well. Many of us on this forum come on to discuss new projects all the time. Some projects we love, some are ok but functional and some we hate while others on here have varying opinions. We comment because we care about our community and what is being built and this forum is a great place to discuss those topics. We don't want developers just coming in to slap up some project that is being value-engineered or to disregard the character of the area around it. Is this that kind of project? I don't believe so. I hope above anything else that it is a success. However, just because a project is 100% better than what was there it doesn't mean that that project is 100% better than what it could have been.

Finally, the snide comment about asking who has designed, developed or built anything and that it should be fun to see our pics is what talking shit truly is. You are basically mocking us and saying that anyone who has not done those things needs to shut up and not comment. Like we shouldn't have a say or an opinion. I have done PM most of my adult life and now I'm an interior designer and I'm sorry to bust your bubble but criticism is a part of this industry. Get used to it.

#28 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bingo!!!!

#29 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

Ok, so you win. We were talking crap.

Is the project boxy?... yes.
Is that a bad thing?... not necessarily
Does the 2nd floor window look like it's on it side?... yes

That's not talking crap that is stating the obvious.

Also, the discussion on the awnings was not specific to this project at all. If you actually read my post about it I stated that those types of awnings are being used a lot on most new construction and I didn't understand that current trend. To me the design wouldn't provide any cover from rain because of the openings and then someone pointed out in another comment that they are used more for shade regulation than cover from the elements. It was a question on design trends not the building itself.

Furthermore, I'm sure the guys at 97w are great humble guys and this project should do well. Many of us on this forum come on to discuss new projects all the time. Some projects we love, some are ok but functional and some we hate while others on here have varying opinions. We comment because we care about our community and what is being built and this forum is a great place to discuss those topics. We don't want developers just coming in to slap up some project that is being value-engineered or to disregard the character of the area around it. Is this that kind of project? I don't believe so. I hope above anything else that it is a success. However, just because a project is 100% better than what was there it doesn't mean that that project is 100% better than what it could have been.

Finally, the snide comment about asking who has designed, developed or built anything and that it should be fun to see our pics is what talking shit truly is. You are basically mocking us and saying that anyone who has not done those things needs to shut up and not comment. Like we shouldn't have a say or an opinion. I have done PM most of my adult life and now I'm an interior designer and I'm sorry to bust your bubble but criticism is a part of this industry. Get used to it.

Lets review what was actually said here shall we...I said "yall can talk all the shit you want, but this building is 100x better than what was there."

You then act like thats not what you were doing....so I corrected you.

not once did I ever say you or anyone else couldnt state your opinion and I never told anyone to shut up.

And my comment about you posting some of your work still stands. I think its only fair since you're the one being the biggest asshole with your whole "cutting edge design" comment. 

Your statement about it possibly not being "100% of what it could be" shows just how much you don't know about development, design and construction. There are limitations forced by the site, the owners budget and location. Trust me, 97w squeezed more out of these limitations than almost anyone else could have. I know because I was there working with them and Dak Hatfield for over a year on the design and the budget.

#30 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:36 PM

I'm sure this discussion is going to get productive any minute now.

#31 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:01 PM

I'm sure this discussion is going to get productive any minute now.

I think it stopped be productive like 10 posts ago.

#32 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:12 PM

I apologize to everyone for my part in letting this thread go so far off topic and having it devolve into name calling and character questioning.

Crimson I do mean it when I say that the finished project is a nice job. You know more about what happened behind the scenes and I apologize for making a sarcastic comment on a thread about a project you are closely working on. Keep doing great work.

Just so you know I do really like the project on Magnolia.

#33 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

I apologize to everyone for my part in letting this thread go so far off topic and having it devolve into name calling and character questioning.

Crimson I do mean it when I say that the finished project is a nice job. You know more about what happened behind the scenes and I apologize for making a sarcastic comment on a thread about a project you are closely working on. Keep doing great work.

Thanks and I'm sorry as well. Water under the bridge. Thanks,

#34 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:16 PM

Thanks and I'm sorry as well. Water under the bridge. Thanks,

You're welcome and Thank you as well.

#35 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

😘

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:49 PM

The purpose of this board is to discuss architecture and other things relating to the city.  I think we can all have good and open discussions about projects and design.  Architecture is subjective and there will be some buildings that some people like, yet the same buildings could be disliked by others.  I still want to keep the dialog free and open, so please keep the comments civil. 

As far as individual's project design goes, I have worked on several buildings that were really poor design in my career, and I have also worked on design award winners.  It goes with the territory that some projects do turn out better than others. There are many factors that influence projects, and Crimson Builders did bring those out.  All that I ask is that everyone think and re-read your text before you post a reply.  If you do this, you might come up with a better and more diplomatic way to say the same thing.

#37 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:38 PM

I noticed some paperwork posted on the northern part of the building stating that food and alcohol licenses have been applied for; it will be Four Sisters - Taste of Vietnam restaurant.  I think that's a perfect match for that building; looking forward to it.

21125697_280844858989790_839902211601387

#38 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:10 PM

Four Sisters has some signage out now.

Erik France

#39 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:26 AM

The Burroughs Kitchen is joining Four Sisters in this building.

http://www.theburrou...n.com/home.html

#40 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:14 AM

Acapulco Taqueria will go into the south end of the building. Burroughs Kitchen never opened. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users