2 replies to this topic

#1 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

I was walking through downtown Midland Texas yesterday when I noticed a bunch of police on ATVs and a bunch of people hurrying to get in line. I was push, shoved and jostled so I thought it would be easier to go with the flow and all of a sudden I find myself standing in line. I had my camera and was going to shoot some photos of the downtown architecture and Centennial Park, so I decided to see where the line went. Here is a map of the line. I stood in it for about half an hour and it wound up at Centennial Park where there were estimated to be about 25,000 people - which is pretty impressive for a town of about 100,000.

As I stood there, I was very startled to see the airplane normally known as Air Force One bearing down on the plaza at a shockingly low altitude. I hadn't seen anything like this since American Airlines buzzed the groundbreaking of the AAC in Dallas and nothing as low and close since 9/11. The best photo I got was as it passed over the Midland County Courthouse, which I'm sure was an elegant building at some time in the past but wears an ugly overcoat of stucco and modernity.

There was a stage set up and people were standing around listening to bands when Lee Greenwood came on stage and started singing God Bless the USA. I've never heard it live before. Very inspiring song.

Then it dawned on me that it was a Welcome Home event for former President Bush.

In the past 16 years, I have been to a Bill Clinton Rally, a Hillary Clinton Rally and now a George Bush Rally. Maybe I will see President Obama one of these days.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#2 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

I'll bet that was impressive. Nobody sings God Bless The USA like Lee Greenwood, I would love to hear it live.

#3 FoUTASportscaster

FoUTASportscaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:56 AM

My parents got married in a plaza near Centenial Plaza.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users