• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

Does anybody remember the drive-in restaurant on Henderson between 30 and Harris Hospital that had the little trains that would bring you your food? I use to beg my mom to stop there everytime we past it. She finally relented and it was just awful...but the order stations ( or what ever they're called ) each had a miniature train track running to it from the main building. You'd order and the food would come out on a little black train. In my memory it was around the same vacinity as the "Steak and Egg Kitchen", but on the west side of Henderson, north of the Tastee bread factory with falling bread slices on the sign...A Buddy of mine said he thought he remembered it being "Choo Choo Chicken"...

#2 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

Is there a Koo-Koo-Roo Chicken in DFW?

YUMM.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#3 jbelleptcu

jbelleptcu

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (801hme @ Mar 28 2008, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anybody remember the drive-in restaurant on Henderson between 30 and Harris Hospital that had the little trains that would bring you your food? I use to beg my mom to stop there everytime we past it. She finally relented and it was just awful...but the order stations ( or what ever they're called ) each had a miniature train track running to it from the main building. You'd order and the food would come out on a little black train. In my memory it was around the same vacinity as the "Steak and Egg Kitchen", but on the west side of Henderson, north of the Tastee bread factory with falling bread slices on the sign...A Buddy of mine said he thought he remembered it being "Choo Choo Chicken"...

It was actually called "Choo Choo Burger" and you are correct on the location.

#4 travelbear

travelbear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:10 PM

I remember the place as "Albright's Choo Choo Chicken." Trains were great.....food not that good.

#5 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:General and military history, drive-in theaters, and any miniscule information.

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:42 PM

I definitely remember Choo-Choo Burgers on Henderson St. when I was a kid. I believe it was in existence from the early to mid '70s, and I remember their sign remianing up until the late '70s, long after they went out of business. I only ate there once, but I seem to remember the building fashioned after a railroad roundhouse, with glass encircling the upper front of the structure, and train trestles radiating from it where the miniature train slowly shuttled back and forth with payment and food. I don't remember how many trestles there were, but it couldn't have been very many, as it seemed to have been situated on a rather small lot. To me, I thought it was a really neat concept, as I owned an HO scale train set at the time.

I also remember the way the sign lit up at night. The left "CHOO" would light up, then the right "CHOO" followed, and finally "BURGERS" would light up underneath, in unison, with the two "CHOOs", then it would repeat. I thought it was kinda eye-catching.

Thanks for the memory, folks! biggrin.gif

--Saginaw

P.S. safly, no KooKooRoo restaurants here in the Metroplex. Looks like it's a strictly California operation.
"If I only had a time machine..."

#6 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:20 PM

That's what I thought, but too lazy (at the time) to investigate aka GOOGLE.

Is good eats, very posh with the S.California "kosher" crowd.

I found it comparable to a Boston Market.

Loves me some CHICKEN !

You a Saginaw lifer? What's knew in your neck o the woods?
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#7 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:General and military history, drive-in theaters, and any miniscule information.

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (safly @ May 1 2008, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You a Saginaw lifer? What's knew in your neck o the woods?

Actually, I chose my nick because it sounded cool, not to mention it has a local and historical tie-in. Saginaw's a nice little town, but it's getting bigger. I mean, it's got a Wal-Mart for goodness sake (a sure sign of encroaching civilization!)! newlaugh.gif

--Saginaw

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:31 PM

Yes, it was Choo Choo Burger and then Charlie Albright's chicken place.

He used to cook for Leslie's, so it was that great honey-fried chicken.

#9 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:38 PM

801hme, I stand corrected. The restaurant was called "Choo Choo Chicken", and it was located on 326 S. Henderson St., close to the corner of W. Broadway St. It was still in business in 1975, according to that year's Fort Worth City Directory.

--Saginaw

#10 lonnzer

lonnzer

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:11 PM

It was on Henderson St. but later became a hearing aid place... but that was in the mid to late '70's. I know about that part because a woman driving north turned across in front of me and I T-boned her car.... she was going in to be fitted for hearing aids and didn't hear me honking the horn.... didn't see the oncoming traffic either.

#11 The Haltom City Kid

The Haltom City Kid

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:History, Music, Cooking, Politics

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

Wow! That sounds like a really neat concept. I sure wish we would have found it when I was a kid!

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, however, billions of electrons were temporarily disturbed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users