http://www.dallasnew...e-in-irving.ece

#2 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:13 AM

As having worked in that area for over 20 years let me start by saying that spot is nasty. It is surrounded by car dealerships, cheap motels and
industrial sites. Sure, Las Colinas is nearby but it is not what it used to be. IMO AA would be better off staying put. They are very close to
D/FW Airport (practically in it). They are on the TRE line, there is a nice Marriott, plenty of restaurants and it is easily accessible via the newly completed North Tarrant Express (183/121). They should remodel/reconfigure/expand current facilities. Thoughts?

#3 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:14 PM

Also, their current location means that they don't have to get on 183 to get to/from the airport.

-Dylan

#4 urbancowboy

urbancowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sustainable, Livable, Urbanism

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:24 PM

Don't they have to stay in Fort Worth since they merged with US air?  Wasn't there some sort of agreement for the financial incentives they received?

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

Also, their current location means that they don't have to get on 183 to get to/from the airport.

They won't have to from the former Texas Stadium site either. 

Don't they have to stay in Fort Worth since they merged with US air?  Wasn't there some sort of agreement for the financial incentives they received?

There was discussion of financial incentives for a new facility but nothing was ever finalized.

Anything is possible, but I don't see this happening. As plenty of you have said, the current locations has a lot more upside and FW won't let them go without a fight. It will come down to who can offer the most attractive financial incentives.

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:03 PM

Since the DMN is throwing out names, why couldn't Project Blue Sky mean AT&T or Atmos Energy; both have a blue logo in the sky.  Moving out of "South of Woodall Rodgers Downtown Dallas" makes sense for TXU too.

• JBB likes this

#7 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:19 PM

Did AA just broke ground for a new training center at it's Fort Worth campus ?

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

"Project blue sky" is so generic it could mean anything.
  • JBB likes this

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:55 PM

Did AA just broke ground for a new training center at it's Fort Worth campus ?

They're building a reservation operations center on the grounds of the training academy, which is in FW (not at the headquarters campus).

#10 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:39 AM

As having worked in that area for over 20 years let me start by saying that spot is nasty. It is surrounded by car dealerships, cheap motels and
industrial sites. Sure, Las Colinas is nearby but it is not what it used to be. IMO AA would be better off staying put. They are very close to
D/FW Airport (practically in it). They are on the TRE line, there is a nice Marriott, plenty of restaurants and it is easily accessible via the newly completed North Tarrant Express (183/121). They should remodel/reconfigure/expand current facilities. Thoughts?

I would be surprised if AA moves.  The only thing to really gain here is visibility. The current location is barely in Fort Worth and barely visible,  and they're a lot closer to downtown Dallas than DTFW.  But the location of the old stadium is a good one.  It sits right in the middle of DFWs largest employment areas...downtown Dallas, north Dallas, Las Colinas and DFW airport. And I think Irving is really trying to reposition itself.  I've noticed lots of structures being torn down along 183 and I'm assuming it's because of the approaching freeway re-do. I mean, who knows what this area will look like in 5-10 years. And I work in Las Colinas and I think it's getting better. Lots of new homes, retail and office structures are going up, not to mention connection to DART light rail. A company like AA, would be a good catch. It could possibly do for that part of Irving what State Farms new office project is doing for Richardson. So like I said, I would be surprised if American moved, but I wouldn't write the idea off just yet.

#11 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

and to think, people called me several names on this when I mentioned it before.  This has always been a high possibility that AA wants to move.  The current executives want a Dallas county address to lure employees.

#12 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:04 PM

Yes, young... Looks like it will happen but not everything will move to disgusting Dallas County.

#13 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

and to think, people called me several names on this when I mentioned it before.  This has always been a high possibility that AA wants to move.  The current executives want a Dallas county address to lure employees.

Yes, young... Looks like it will happen but not everything will move to disgusting Dallas County.

So after making a commitment (February 2013) to Mayor Price (Fort Worth) to stay in the city, Doug Parker, AMR is willing to risk the humiliating optics of Mayor Price having "egg-on-her-face" just to lure employees. I think Parker may be smarter than that with so much more important at stake.

Lets say that he does.Parker will then have alienated his strongest regional ally who also partly owned and co-chairs the most important airport in their network - the City of Fort Worth.  The "dmn" is such a homer newspaper and when it comes to reporting aviation news, it has a sloppy record.

Has there been anything but rumor by the dmn for yall to hang your hat on or is this more being Dallas' poodle? 

#14 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:30 AM

You know, that's such a mean, unnecessary thing to say.  But have you been to Dallas county lately?  The development on the "Dallas side" of the metroplex is blowing this side away. And compared to Tarrant  County, yes,  it does seem like everything is moving there. Pick up the DMN business section. There's practically a new office, retail, or residential development  and/or office relocation announced several times a week in the Dallas area.   There's a sizeable office project just announced going up in Prosper for goodness sake!! And cranes are up all around downtown Dallas again.  I love FW, but that doesn't mean I can't admire (and envy) some of what's going on to the east. And I would never make such a comment like that, especially since we seem to be so sensitive about FW.

#15 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:21 AM

Seriously, Dallas has been doing a LOT of good things over the last few years.  Maybe instead of trashing Dallas, we should be looking at the ways we're lacking and losing business to them.

--

Kara B.

#16 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:52 PM

So admittedly Dallas does have a lot going for it, but why go after a corporation which is really dear to Fort Worth. It is as if Dallas (media, corporate raiders) will not be satisfied until Fort Worth capitulates.

Besides this being a poorly thought through rumor, it suggests that Fort Worth is a place that corporations generally find to be a backwater.  I cannot help but to think that the dmn knew that their article will be received by the Fort Worth with an icy shrug.  Envy is a sign of ones own self doubts.

Finally, it is about time yall identify what is Dallas' character, the something that makes one go google-eyed for.

#17 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:21 AM

Irving, Not Dallas.

• JBB likes this

#18 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:46 AM

Irving, Not Dallas.

So admittedly Dallas does have a lot going for it, but why go after a corporation which is really dear to Fort Worth. It is as if Dallas (media, corporate raiders) will not be satisfied until Fort Worth capitulates.

Besides this being a poorly thought through rumor, it suggests that Fort Worth is a place that corporations generally find to be a backwater.  I cannot help but to think that the dmn knew that their article will be received by the Fort Worth with an icy shrug.  Envy is a sign of ones own self doubts.

Finally, it is about time yall identify what is Dallas' character, the something that makes one go google-eyed for.

Unfortunately, corporations are not loyal to any city (Dallas lured AT&T and CoMerica bank from their long time cities) and luring them is competitive game A game that Fort Worth has never really learned to play.  Every time one of our struggling corporations (Pier One, RadioShack) threatens to leave, the city throws money at them. Both got tons of incentives to build new buildings that neither company owns anymore.  FW even threw money at Channel 5 to keep them for moving out of FW.  Dallas and its suburbs know how to play this game and from the looks of it, they play it well.  Plano just landed Toyota,  and Richardson, the mega State Farms project that is pretty much creating an entirely new part of town. And there's no suburb of FW that has anything like white-collar- job -creating Las Colinas.  And as someone pointed out, it's Irving, not Dallas, supposedly courting American Airlines. And if you didn't know, it was Irving who lured 7-11 away from downtown Dallas. They'll be located in the Cypress Waters project.  Most of which is in Coppell, but most of the office buildings are in Irving.  Now this could just be a rumor, and as I said, I'll be shocked if AA moves. But Irving knows how to play the game, FW doesn't...so who knows? And if the city wants to be taken seriously, maybe we should start luring fewer Cheesecake Factories to our tourist attraction, ahem, I mean our downtown..and more corporate businesses.

#19 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:24 AM

Irving, Not Dallas.

Same tribe. Corporate piracy within a region is always going to be frowned upon.

#20 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:48 AM

The Dallas County address thing is just stupid and I'd like to see actual evidence that it is an issue.

I'm with @eastfwther... I think our "leaders" have a very passive mentality when it comes to growth. It's the same mentality that has us as the second largest city (behind Austin) without a professional sports franchise and Texas Motor Speedway isn't "Fort Worth Motor Speedway". But I beginning to think :mad: that said leaders just want to brag about their cowboy hats, museums, stockyards and nice, but under-sized downtown, while a large percentage of residents have to drive to Las Colinas, Addison, Richardson and Plano AKA "Dallas" for high-paying, white collar jobs.

At some point, you have to say what's the point of commuting when you can just move to Frisco? :no:  :closedeyes:

TCU and Baylor football once suffered from the same malady, but decided they wanted to be big time and now look at the Horned Frogs and Bears!

The passive losses every time.

#21 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

The Dallas County address thing is just stupid and I'd like to see actual evidence that it is an issue.

To see actual evidence that it is an issue, I would suggest that you carefully read your annual real estate tax appraisal and the distributions of said collections.  When you do, please cite any distributions for Dallas County, DCCCD, Parkland Hospital, City of Dallas or any city in Dallas County. 

Taxes collected in Dallas County do not support Tarrant County governmental jurisdictions.  With very few exceptions, nor do Dallas County businesses support non-profits in Tarrant County, instead Dallas' businesses largely and understandably support Dallas institutions.

#22 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:48 PM

Seriously, Dallas has been doing a LOT of good things over the last few years.  Maybe instead of trashing Dallas, we should be looking at the ways we're lacking and losing business to them.

What business are we losing to them?  What I am reading is that some of you just don't like the kind of businesses that Fort Worth has and is getting. It sounds as if Fort Worth is experiencing an economic meltdown.

#23 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:18 AM

What business are we losing to them?  What I am reading is that some of you just don't like the kind of businesses that Fort Worth has and is getting. It sounds as if Fort Worth is experiencing an economic meltdown.

Your previous post, I don't understand. But, I don't think Fort Worth is necessarily losing business to Dallas either.  I don't think companies even consider us. 

#24 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:40 AM

To see actual evidence that it is an issue, I would suggest that you carefully read your annual real estate tax appraisal and the distributions of said collections.  When you do, please cite any distributions for Dallas County, DCCCD, Parkland Hospital, City of Dallas or any city in Dallas County. 

Absolutely, it's important to keep businesses in Tarrant County so tax dollars support the county, TCC, TRWD, etc. I think we all agree on that. I think the "Dallas County address thing" CJYoung is referring to, though, is Youngalum's statement that American needs/wants a Dallas County address to lure employees. I too would like to see evidence that this is a priority of AA executives.

#25 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:27 AM

I think it's as eastfwther says - it's not so much "we're going to choose between Dallas and Fort Worth, and we picked Dallas" as "we're going to move to Dallas" without FW even appearing on the radar.

--

Kara B.

#26 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

So there are people who would work for AMR if it were in Dallas but not if it is in Fort Worth? I mean, commute time notwithstanding - just because of the address? I'm not buying that. Not even back when jobs were plentiful and you could be more choosy would very many people turn down a job because it's across the county line.

I agree having a supply of labor with the necessary skill sets will have a lot of bearing on which regions are more attractive for a company move, but this would have a lot less influence on where it moves within a region. Any site that's reasonably accessible to that workforce will do. I also understand that a marquee address is important to some companies (I remember reading a couple or so decades ago about companies going broke trying to pay their leases in Las Colinas because it was felt you had to have that address to compete), but that's more true for certain kinds of businesses. Large established companies like AMR don't need that.

The executives making the decision may have a preference to move closer to whichever enclaves they call home if there's a location decision to be made, and when attending grad school at SMU it certainly seemed that AMR executives had close ties to the Dallas side of our little world - but in the end it's going to come down to site and money. If more than one location on the short list are pretty close in terms of the desirability of the site and the financials, then other things might come into play. The people making the decision don't seem to have strong ties to Fort Worth and if they find a better deal they'll be gone - but it won't be because they think they need a Dallas address.

#27 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:22 PM

So there are people who would work for AMR if it were in Dallas but not if it is in Fort Worth?...don't have strong ties to Fort Worth and if they find a better deal they'll be gone - but it won't be because they think they need a Dallas address.

Spot on to just about everything you have stated! 

I will suggest that the economic ties (aka "deals") that AMR has with the city are strong and politically deep to Fort Worth, and that AMR would be cutting off its nose to spite its face. 

A move out of Fort Worth is possible, but the ramifications are too uncertain.  Businesses are averse to uncertainty.

#28 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:38 PM

I'm a little worried. Keep in mind US Airways is merging with American, and leadership is arriving from Tempe (Phoenix), Arizona.

Current HQ is not large enough for both companies.

-Dylan

#29 Dallastar

Dallastar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:27 PM

These corporate leaders care about one thing and that's getting the best deal possible, they could careless about there HQ being in Dallas, Fort Worth, Las Colinas, Plano, or Frisco, if it's a good deal and make sense they will leave.  Loyalty is a thing of the past.  The AA HQ will go where ever they can get the best deal (that is if they really do have plans to move).  There are hundreds of examples of institutions that have moved from places where they have really deep roots.  Toyato is leaving Cali to come to Plano and relocating hundreds of thier employees here, do you really think AA would be worried about employee commute times to work or being close to the airport.  Money talks!! 

#30 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:25 AM

So there are people who would work for AMR if it were in Dallas but not if it is in Fort Worth?...don't have strong ties to Fort Worth and if they find a better deal they'll be gone - but it won't be because they think they need a Dallas address.

Spot on to just about everything you have stated! 

I will suggest that the economic ties (aka "deals") that AMR has with the city are strong and politically deep to Fort Worth, and that AMR would be cutting off its nose to spite its face. 

A move out of Fort Worth is possible, but the ramifications are too uncertain.  Businesses are averse to uncertainty.

American Airlines has customers around the world.  If the company leaves Fort Worth, that might irritate some people locally (although I don't think most of the  FW population would care or notice much)  , but I don't think it's going to hurt the companies bottom line at all. Just as Toyota's sales are not going to plummet because they are leaving California, nor did AT&T's after leaving San Antonio. Would city leaders and some very pro-Fort Worth people be angry at AA, sure.  But the greater local, national, and international population, hardly.  I really don't know what the greater "ramifications" would be.

#31 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:38 AM

Fox 4 this morning said AA CEO will speak at the Fort Worth chamber of commerce . I think this rumor about moving out of Fort Worth is much ado about nothing. However Fort Worth should be vigilant about any possible AA moves.

• JBB likes this

#32 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:02 PM

AA CEO Doug Parker confirms rumors AA is looking at HQ relocation options:

http://blogs.star-te...al-leaders.html

Time for Fort Worth to step up with a plan for AA to build a downtown office building. This could be an opportunity for Sundance or other downtown development stakeholders to attract a major long-term tenant with a new class A office tower. 

#33 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:54 PM

It is more than interest on part of AA.  Dallas or Las Colinas is the top destinations per my contacts--been saying this from the beginning of the merger. One VP is very adamant about moving. Current HQ is too small and worn out.  Expectations are they will announce move in 6-8 months after lengthy negotiations. 

The problem for FW is no space they want except in current location and that requires a remodel or teardown.  So the thinking is why do that if they can get what they want with new build if time is the same timeframe to do both.  Preferable locations are north of airport along 114, old Tx stadium site or even Downtown Dallas. 

#34 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:19 PM

The current location seems really good, nearby DFW, CR Smith, etc, and there's plenty of land to the North that I guess could be used for relocation in the immediate area. 

A downtown location would be awesome though. 

I wonder if Alliance is on the radar? Do they still have any facilities at the airport there? Perhaps it would be good to have HQ nearby training and maintenance opportunities, as well as the regional FAA HQ.Just anywhere but not Fort Worth would be great. 

#35 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:41 PM

The current location seems really good, nearby DFW, CR Smith, etc, and there's plenty of land to the North that I guess could be used for relocation in the immediate area. 

A downtown location would be awesome though. 

I wonder if Alliance is on the radar? Do they still have any facilities at the airport there? Perhaps it would be good to have HQ nearby training and maintenance opportunities, as well as the regional FAA HQ.Just anywhere but not Fort Worth would be great. 

I think the facility at Alliance closed a few years ago.  If, for whatever reason, AA needs to be close to DFW, Alliance and downtown Fort Worth are out. Downtown Dallas should be out of the running too, if a near-airport location is desired. I only wouldn't count DTD out because of all the large corporate moves that have happened there as of late and a new office tower was just announced for Victory Park ( very close to American Airlines Center coincidentally).  As I said before, I think with the new merger, a move is about VISIBILITY. Where they are now, they're practically invisible. Plus, I wonder if the end of the Wright Amendment plays into this at all.  Anyway, if they do move, I'm putting my money on Irving first, Dallas second. Would love to see them in DTFW, but it's a long shot.

#36 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:03 PM

I can't imagine there would be any reason for them to be close to the airport. The number of HQ workers traveling between the office and facilities at the airport and vice versa on a daily basis is probably inconsequential.

#37 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:03 PM

I can't imagine there would be any reason for them to be close to the airport. The number of HQ workers traveling between the office and facilities at the airport and vice versa on a daily basis is probably inconsequential.

It's more than you think.

#38 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

AA has its own shuttle van service and it runs full nearly all day back and forth between Centerport and the airport. 

#39 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:26 PM

I sure hope Fort Worth is reminding American that Las Colinas and Dallas are not the only places with open land to build on.

There is still plenty of open land at Centreport to build a brand new HQ building.

-Dylan

#40 Dallastar

Dallastar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

I sure hope Fort Worth is reminding American that Las Colinas and Dallas are not the only places with open land to build on.

This has nothing to do with open land, AA will be pimping themselves over the next 5 to 6 months to anyone who will give them the best deals.  They are the ones who started the rumors, they are putting Fort Worth and anyone else who is interested on notice to say if you want us "SHOW US THE MONEY"!!!!!

#41 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:48 AM

This has nothing to do with open land, AA will be pimping themselves over the next 5 to 6 months to anyone who will give them the best deals.  They are the ones who started the rumors, they are putting Fort Worth and anyone else who is interested on notice to say if you want us "SHOW US THE MONEY"!!!!!

I will agree with your analysis behind AMR's tactic to obtain the best deal for itself; but that is where my agreement comes to an end.

This rumor really should be placed at the foot of DMN.  It takes chutzpa for one of the leading voices to now salivate over the prospects of the idea of AMR relocating its headquarters in Dallas County after it torched AMR, DFW and Fort Worth over the Wright Amendment. Covetous is the biblical word that comes immediately to mind.

The rumor out of the bag, now Fort Worth, who certainly must already have a strategy in place to hold on to AMR, can exercise the powers that it has to ultimately win the bidding process for AMR.  Even though the "bandwagon to the east" is in full gallop, Fort Worth has both considerable clout and longstanding goodwill with AMR, notwithstanding, the new AMR to get it done.

RD Milhollin may have stated the obvious when suggesting that demand may actually force supply to be actualized in DTFW and that this may become the impetus for the long awaited signature building in the CBD.

#42 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:56 AM

Good point Renamerusk.  Dallas has welched on the the Love Field deal since the 70's.  Why on this earth would AMR even consider Dallas for its headquarters?  Dallas has done very little to help AMR over the years, and has been very supportive of Southwest.  I hope the new CEO of AMR realizes this.

#43 Dallastar

Dallastar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:07 PM

Good point Renamerusk.  Dallas has welched on the the Love Field deal since the 70's.  Why on this earth would AMR even consider Dallas for its headquarters?  Dallas has done very little to help AMR over the years, and has been very supportive of Southwest.  I hope the new CEO of AMR realizes this.

I know most of you guy's know how business works.  Business is business, AMR could careless about how supportive Dallas was to Southwest or how little Dallas has help AMR in the past.  Point is, if Dallas makes the right offer to AMR they will be moving to Dallas regardless of how supportive Ft. Worth has been to AMR in the past.  And it's not just Dallas, AMR will go to the highest bidder, it's just business.

• JBB likes this

#44 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:19 PM

Seems like a well-capitalized real estate group could make a pitch to AMR for DTFW where AMR would be the lead tenant on a new 1mm+ square foot office building.  Get FW to throw in some incentives, etc.  AMR's situation of not needing to move immediately is actually the perfect setup for a spec office development like that, and what AMR employee wouldn't want to work in DTFW, as opposed to that site in Irving which is surrounded on 4 sides by freeway and no decent restaurants within 10 minutes?  Someone needs to make this happen.

#45 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

I know most of you guy's know how business works.  Business is business, AMR could careless about how supportive Dallas was to Southwest or how little Dallas has help AMR in the past.  Point is, if Dallas makes the right offer to AMR they will be moving to Dallas regardless of how supportive Ft. Worth has been to AMR in the past.  And it's not just Dallas, AMR will go to the highest bidder, it's just business.

You so discount the past and the perils of the future.  Lets be reminded that this is most certainly not as simple as you suggest.  This is not a case of the next QT coming to your city, it is the largest globally recognized company if Fort Worth.

(1) A cautionary lesson in recent regional relocation - Dallas Cowboys.  Jerry Jones approached in this order Dallas and Irving seeking to build a new stadium. Each for their own reasons, rebutted the Mr. Jones.  He ultimately turned to Arlington/Tarrant County.  This is something that Dallas County has conveniently forgotten and has not really ever gotten over.  This rumor, the perveyor and Irving are most about sour grapes, plain and simple aimed at Tarrant County.

The alarm has been sounded.  Fort Worth, Tarrant County and its business elite are already at work to avoid the same mistake that both Dallas and Irving did when handling Jerry Jones.

(2) If AMR were an accounting firm, then a relocation might make more sense, but AMR is an airlines; and all airlines need an airport.  Proponents of this rumor want to ignore that reality; they even want to forget that the key airport in AMR’s network is co-owned by Fort Worth. Mayor Price(FW) is a permanent member, as is Mayor Rawlings(DAL) to the DFW Airport Board.  For this reason, I would give the advantage in the following order to Fort Worth, to the DFW Airport, and to Dallas; Irving is a distant player which offers little and has no clout on the board.  If there is one thing that AMR absolutely needs more than some beautification (visibility) it is harmony on the DFW Airport Board and the cooperation of one of the two key political chairs on that board.  Now if AMR then spurns Fort Worth before allowing the city to put an offer on the table, then AMR can expect some strong head winds against it is the future.

AMR is Fort Worth’s to lose, just as the Dallas Cowboys were once both Dallas and Irving to lose.  The one positive that I can gleam coming from this rumor is the hope that a signature building for the CBD may happen as a result.  

Otherwise, this rumor, its proponents and the potential bidders outside of Fort Worth/Tarrant County are building for themselves a straw house.

#46 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

Your comment about the Cowboys only proves Dallastar's point: They followed the money. Arlington was willing to pony up. Dallas and Irving were not.

And why are you calling this a "rumor"? Doug Parker has confirmed that they're shopping around.

#47 Dallastar

Dallastar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:40 PM

Your comment about the Cowboys only proves Dallastar's point: They followed the money. Arlington was willing to pony up. Dallas and Irving were not.

And why are you calling this a "rumor"? Doug Parker has confirmed that they're shopping around.

Thank you JBB, Renamerusk proved the point I have been trying to make.  This has nothing to do with "Sour Grapes", it's just the way business is done in our time.  No one ever thought or believed the Cleveland Browns would leave Cleveland, all that history, all that heritage, the community ties, but guess what they left, they went to the highest bidder.  The same with the Cowboys.  I wish we still did business like the good ole days with your "word" and a firm hand shake, those days are over.  You best believe that if AMR stays, Ft. Worth will pay a hefty price, and it may be worth it.  Jerry Jones is a horrible General Manager but he's a heck of a business man.  While Dallas was fighting over how much they were willing to give, Arlington steps in and saids "I will give you $365 million" thats an offer that was too good to turn down.  It had nothing to do with Arlington or Tarrant county, it made sense to build the stadium right outside of Downtown Dallas, but Dallas wasnt willing to pay what Jerry wanted.  Jerry didnt care where it was built as long as he got money to build it.  Just like the new Cowboys HQ in Frisco.  Frisco is nice, but that didnt matter to Jerry Jones either, as long as he got paid!!!  Doug Parker knows exactly what he is doing, there are no more rumors.

#48 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:16 PM

Now we are left to read tea leaves for months if not years to see what AA will do. No doubt Dallas smells blood in the water. I agree nothing is ever permanent . Dallas snagged AT&T from San Antonio back in 2008. Twenty thirty years from now. Who knows San Antonio might snag it back .Or AT&T might go to New York. That's business. Unclear if Mr. Parker said anything at the Fort Worth Chamber luncheon about HQ move. Or after ? Funny he made that statement so soon after the Fort Worth luncheon. Like I said. I am left reading tea leaves.  

#49 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:00 PM

I never knew or associated ATT with San Antonio, I always thought it was Dallas based. I guess that shows the harm a relocation could do to a cities image to next generations. 

#50 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:00 AM

Thank you JBB, Renamerusk proved the point I have been trying to make.  This has nothing to do with "Sour Grapes", it's just the way business is done in our time......The same with the Cowboys.....You best believe that if AMR stays, Ft. Worth will pay a hefty price, and it may be worth it....While Dallas was fighting over how much they were willing to give, Arlington steps in and saids "I will give you $365 million" thats an offer that was too good to turn down.  It had nothing to do with Arlington or Tarrant County.... Dallas wasnt willing to pay what Jerry wanted.....Doug Parker knows exactly what he is doing, there are no more rumors.

So if you like, instead of rumor, lets just call it a “trial balloon”.  As for whether or not it is “sour grapes”, DMN  and WFAA (Dallas) have been rather eager to bite; and surprisingly a few here too.   My guess is the pains of losing the Cowboys continues to sting.

You are free to read into my comments as you like, however, there are steps in this process and that was my intended point.  The Cowboys approached Irving and Dallas, and after each had hesitated or rejected the Cowboys, Arlington held a referendum approving the deal with the Cowboys.  Know that AMR has already approached Fort Worth; and the point that you seem to have missed is - Fort Worth will not hesitate or reject AMR as did both Irving and Dallas when it came to the Cowboys. End.

AMR will extract a hefty price; but Fort Worth will come through. End.

Unlike the NFL , where one can pull up all of one's stakes from a community,  AMR is not in the position to do so and can not do the same.

I would argue that both the terrain and the atmosphere is quite different for AMR in Fort Worth than was the landscape and atmosphere that confronted Jerry Jones.  Mayor Price will not be another Mayor Miller(Dallas) who single handily stop Dallas from voting to build the Cowboys a new stadium.  Whereas, Jones had four counties and several communities to shop his product,  AMR has only one place to shop its product  - the DFW Airport, co owned by the City of Dallas and the City of Fort Worth. AMR is smart enough to know that Fort Worth holds 1/2 of what it needs more than anything - an airport; and as such, AMR is not likely to want to create unnecessary bad blood between itself and Fort Worth.  AMR is tethered to DFW and Fort Worth.  All to frequently, DFW is code for “Dallas” in the mindset of Dallas.  Such mindset is a case of hubris that does not go unnoticed in Fort Worth nor would it go down well if AMR bolted for anything as minor as "visibility".

AMR will have to deal with both Dallas and Fort Worth.  AMR will not be seriously dealing with other suitors.  Irving is on the decline and is reeling from losing the Cowboys to Arlington, and now to Frisco; and soon, Irving will be losing the Byron Nelson to Dallas.  It has no clout and little to offer anymore.

B. The case for Dallas: AMR is a hot potato for Dallas.  Aside from what Dallas might offer to AA, it would find itself in a tricky situation with Southwest Airlines.  I am amused at all the speculation about AMR needing to look better - “Looking good requires hard work and making tough decisions".  If AA needs some higher visibility,  than what are the needs of Southwest Airlines whose HQ are near a landfill and Northwest Dallas? Or you paying attention SWA :devil: ? And then there is Texas Central Railroad (High Speed Rail); the silence coming from Dallas is deafening, no doubt because of it being joined at the hip with Southwest Airlines/Love Field.  Would cozing up to AMR or promoting TCR be enough for SWA to relocate its HQ to in Houston and its larger operations there? {My rumor :devil: }  My guess is that Dallas would just as soon like for the AMR HQ relocation to go quietly away, as Dallas would not want to stir SWA anymore than it has been recently.

C. Doug Parker (AMR) does indeed knows exactly what he is doing - testing the waters with a trial balloon.  

But as outlined in #A and #B,  I believe that Fort Worth is sitting in the best position.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Centreport

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users