• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

Since the thrust of this Gordon Dickson article in the Star-Telegram appears to be the commercial and retail development that may be spurred by the completion of the Chisholm Trail Parkway...here rather than the transportation thread?   Perhaps  not directly related but I believe that that new four-story office complex along the Trinity Trail, together with the planned new pedestrian bridge, is part of this parkway impetus.

http://www.star-tele...s-chisholm.html

#2 FarSouth

FarSouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

I look forward to the day that I will be able to make a quick trip to the grocery store or gas station rather than have to drive well away from the house. 

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

Overton Centre is getting ready to build a third tower on their property.  Here's a link to Real Estate Bisnow - Dallas-Fort Worth.  A rendering of the third tower is shown.

http://www.bisnow.co...on-centre-spec/

#4 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

So where are people like Jungus Jordan decrying this toll road as a "handout to developers" like a certain transit project was called lo these years ago...

--

Kara B.

#5 FarSouth

FarSouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

Per Jungus there are talks for 3 grocers in the area. Sure am interested in who these could be.

#6 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

Speaking of retail spurred by the CTP, does anyone know what is being built on this property along the I-20 frontage road, between the CTP frontage road on the west and River Ranch on the east? (i.e. between Fuddruckers and Hampton Inn)

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

It's going to be a CarMax.

#8 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

Joe crab shack finally looks they are about to take it down. Fenced off this past week.

#9 FarSouth

FarSouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

Wonder if there is something already slated to go up there?

#10 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

It's going to be a CarMax.

But of course, what else? :no:

#11 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:08 AM

Well here we go. I'm shocked.

http://www.star-tele...s.facebook&rh=1

#12 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

I need a bath

#13 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:58 AM

No surprises here, including the sad song of the Texas prairie grassland conservationists.

#14 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

I need a bath

And so it begins.

"We built a new road!"  "All this new driving capacity is great!  We're building a bunch of developments that are inaccessible without a car!"  "We're going to drive even more!"  "Our roads are congested!"  "We're widening/building a new road!"  "All this new driving capacity is great!  We're building a bunch of developments that are inaccessible without a car!"  "We're going to drive even more!"  "Our roads are congested!"  "We're widening/building a new road!"  Repeat until every inch of prairie is paved, the city and state are completely broke, and nobody can go outside without a respirator.

--

Kara B.

#15 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:33 AM

I need a bath

And so it begins.

"We built a new road!"  "All this new driving capacity is great!  We're building a bunch of developments that are inaccessible without a car!"  "We're going to drive even more!"  "Our roads are congested!"  "We're widening/building a new road!"  "All this new driving capacity is great!  We're building a bunch of developments that are inaccessible without a car!"  "We're going to drive even more!"  "Our roads are congested!"  "We're widening/building a new road!"  Repeat until every inch of prairie is paved, the city and state are completely broke, and nobody can go outside without a respirator.

But Kevin! It's going to be Master Planned!

#16 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:49 AM

I finally got to drive on the CTP. 4 times, from Sycamore School Rd. to University and back. 

I like the fact that I don't have to sit in traffic when I get home from work on I-35 and it takes me straight to SWFW. It actually makes me feel like I'm in another city, especially driving in from my side of town into downtown. I love it. 

But what I love most about it is the prairie land in SWFW. It's nice to see the natural, untouched sides of Fort Worth and the North Central Texas prairie. 

Of course, that's not going to last forever...

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#17 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

It'll be mixed use to! You can drive from your house to walmart which has an office in it!

#18 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

I finally got to drive on the CTP. 4 times, from Sycamore School Rd. to University and back. 

I like the fact that I don't have to sit in traffic when I get home from work on I-35 and it takes me straight to SWFW. It actually makes me feel like I'm in another city, especially driving in from my side of town into downtown. I love it. 

But what I love most about it is the prairie land in SWFW. It's nice to see the natural, untouched sides of Fort Worth and the North Central Texas prairie. 

It would/could if what was going to be built out that way were towns and villages (which could offer several different types of living/shopping options within a bound area capable of preserving or even celebrating the surrounding landscape) instead of suburban sprawl (most likely and mockingly bearing the name "village," i.e. Prairiestone Village which will sit next to the Walmart-anchored strip center cutely named Chisholm Town Center or some other disingenuous garbage).

#19 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

It would/could if what was going to be built out that way were towns and villages (which could offer several different types of living/shopping options within a bound area capable of preserving or even celebrating the surrounding landscape) instead of suburban sprawl (most likely and mockingly bearing the name "village," i.e. Prairiestone Village which will sit next to the Walmart-anchored strip center cutely named Chisholm Town Center or some other disingenuous garbage).

There's still hope... but of course, you can't hold your breath on that.

7fwPZnE.png

#20 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

This line in the FWBP caught my eye:

"The company hopes its project will help meet growing residential and commercial needs in the corridor."

What? I'd love to hear more about the "growing residential and commercial needs in the corridor." I thought that the point of the Chisholm Trail Parkway was to relieve congestion on I-35 and serve the transportation needs of existing communities to the south and southwest of Fort Worth.

And this is how it happens folks. Grab a seat and enjoy a front row view of induced traffic and soulless (and in this case heritage harming) auto-dependent suburban sprawl.

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

^ Do politicians know that highways don't actually relieve traffic, but build them anyway just for the sake of development, even if it's this bad? Are they lying to us saying the traffic will be better when really they just want to boost the tax base?

Or are they just dumb?

#22 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

Yes.

#23 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

The general feeling of elected officials of most cities around this part of the state is we need development at any cost.

#24 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

Similarly there seems to be a consensus that it is still 1985 and that simply by opening up this land, you will quickly see the corporate centers found in Plano and Irving spring up like roses.

#25 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

It'll be mixed use to! You can drive from your house to walmart which has an office in it!

You stole my line, dammit!

This is the cue in the script where someone is supposed to post that we're all being negative because we think that development is bad.

#26 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

Ya'll are all being negative. Development isn't bad!

• JBB likes this

#27 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

I don't know why you all hate the Bass Family so much.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#28 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

Economic development per se is not at fault here.  I agree with those like Kevin who decry the building of highways that spur such mixed-use developments and that these projects become accessible only by car.  And, since all this causes geographically expansive suburban sprawl, it becomes economically unfeasible to "connect the dots" by rail.  Now drivers such as Jeriat are currently enjoying the CTP run because there are not, yet, a lot of vehicles to cause traffic congestion.  But over time the developments will create more traffic, resulting in congestion and, ergo, an unpleasant rush-hour commute.  Then the urban planners will be talking about the need to widen the darn highway (pardon my language!).

#29 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

...While the NTTA laughs all the way to the bank...

#30 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

blame_canada_medium.gif

#31 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

Chisholm Trail makes Cleburne a new rival to Fort Worth for corporate relocations

#32 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

Chisholm Trail Ranch appears to be starting development of homes.  Below is an article in the Business Press:

http://fwbusinesspre...-late-2015.aspx

#33 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

I read the Business Press article but wished it had included a site map.  The developer's website does (see below).  With this project and the one planned for west Burleson (see surrounding cities thread) more population density and commercial development will be filling in the "far south Fort Worth area."  Is it managed growth or suburban sprawl?  We've had a lot of that discussion here.

http://www.legacycap...trail_ranch.htm

#34 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:49 AM

Based on their property map http://ctr-ftw.com/P...Maps/Map01.html, looks like it will be pretty suburban to me.

Residential is completely segregated from the commercial.  The residential is fill of cul-de-sacs where everyone is forced onto feeder roads that will be uninviting for people to walk down/across.  Huge parking lots at the commercial side that will encourage the people that live "right across the street" to drive instead of walk ride.

A big thing for me, for any of these new developments to not be suburban would be for them to be built on an actual grid.  When a neighborhood only has one or 2 roads in or out, it leads to all kinds of issues.  Look at any older neighborhood built on a grid with numerous entry and exit points, and you don't have any where near the traffic issues of a modern suburb.  It's amazing what having options can do.

#35 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:16 PM

But...but...it's gonna be MIXED USE! And MASTER PLANNED!

#36 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:00 PM

Looks like a good suburban plan to me. This development is pretty far southwest of downtown and the urban core. Y'all are not supposed to expect walkable urbanism with new suburban developments like this.

-Dylan

#37 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:54 AM

No, of course not. But more developments like this means less walkable, urban developments in the core where we need them.

#38 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:11 AM

Looks like a good suburban plan to me. This development is pretty far southwest of downtown and the urban core. Y'all are not supposed to expect walkable urbanism with new suburban developments like this.

This statement makes me sad.

this+makes+me+a+sad+bear+_6c25ec209704dc

My blog: Doohickie

#39 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

Y'all really should listen to the "think" show from yesterday that I linked. It was all about this stuff.

#40 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

Massive flood-inducing parking lots with islands of disconnected retail, no street grid, multiple cul-de-sacs, limited access to retail from residential areas, strictly segregated areas for residential, business, and higher-density residential, looks like standard 1970's corporate/sprawl development. Dangerous lack of adequate setback from gas well pad site to high-density residential. Positive features have landscape greenways along major drainages, roundabout intersection and a pretty large "community park" with lake. Glad to see there are no frontage roads alongside the tollway to screw up access points and clog the immediate corridor with shopper-traffic.

#41 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:52 AM

Tarleton State announced today that it will build a campus on 80 acres along the Chisholm Trail Parkway.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/12/08/6348797/tarleton-state-to-build-new-fort.html?rh=1  

#42 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

I'm going to leave this link here, but there is now a thread on the new Tarleton State Campus over in the "Public and Institutional" section.  Please conduct all discussions on that campus over there.

#43 FarSouth

FarSouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

And finally those of us in the far reaches of town are getting a grocery store.

But many will decry this as evil forbidden sprawl and claim that we should just moved closer to the center of town. But for those of us down here this is great news.

#44 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:23 PM

And finally those of us in the far reaches of town are getting a grocery store.

Which store, and where will it be?

#45 FarSouth

FarSouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

It will be a Walmart neighborhood market. At summer creek and sycamore school.
According to the info I've seen there will also be a Starbucks and 7-11

#46 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

It will be a Walmart neighborhood market. At summer creek and sycamore school.
According to the info I've seen there will also be a Starbucks and 7-11

...there's already a Walmart just down the street. 

7fwPZnE.png

#47 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:29 AM

Quite a ways down the street... and this isn't a full Wal-Mart, just a Neighborhood Market.

My blog: Doohickie

#48 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

Yep.  There is a Super Walmart in Hurst about 1.5 miles from the new Walmart Neighborhood Market going in at Precinct @ Pipeline.  They are getting ready to demolish Blockbuster, Buddies (later OFCO), Hurst Bowl and Skateland.  Some great childhood memories there but we really need a close market and hopefully it will come with a gas station too.  The Valero is the only close option since 7-11 decided to stop selling gas. 

#49 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:39 PM

Well... yeah, I guess. 

I was thinking it was an overkill on "Walmarts" in this area, but this part of SWFW is sprawled to hell, anyway. So what's one more? 

7fwPZnE.png

#50 FarSouth

FarSouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

What does that even mean "sprawled to hell"? In one breath yall want people to live and be In small clusters but then when a business is built in an area with quite a few people living in it then you complain that we already have what we need3 miles a way.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Southwest FW, Chisholm Trail Parkway, Freeway Development

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users