193 replies to this topic

#1 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:24 AM

I'm not familiar with the many district 7 candidates but I did get to know Sal Espino during the 2003 campaign and I hope he takes Dist 2.. He is so energetic and excited to be a part of the district I really don't know why he didn't win the last time around .. ;)

Kathleen Hicks, Ralph McCloud's assistant who's running for district 8 is real good peoples as well.. although if Walker somehow wins there'd be some hilllaaaarious city council meetings that may make channel 7's ratings rival the networks :swg:

#2 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:32 AM

I'm in non-contested District 9 so can only watch.

Kathleen and Monty are both excellent people running in District 8 but whoever wins has some really big shoes to fill. I know Byron in District 6 would do a great job but have never heard anything bad about Jungus. Sal should really get District 2 but Larry has been a solid supporter of neighborhoods and we always need that on the council. I think those three districts will provide good new faces.

I suspect Becky will ride the incumbancy and newspaper support back in, but really, isn't 12 years enough on ANY job!? I know Louis McBee and, although I don't always agree with him, I am sure he would bring some hard-nosed thinking to the table (but always with respect).

District 7 is mystery territory... don't know a soul that's running.

One overarching issue to me, though, is where the police PAC is putting its money. They want that special bargaining process (can't remember the name) and they appear to be trying to buy it when it comes up again next year.

#3 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:34 PM

The mere fact that Sousa is being endorsed by Picht overshadows any of his positives IMO. My neighborhood is unquestionably going to him though, since he lives a block away from me. I think the best candidate for district 6 is Cora Mosely. She's got a good vision for the district and there's a sizeable African-American community here that deserves to be spoken for.

That being said, if I could vote tomorrow, I would vote for Jordan. Unfortunately for Mosely, she doesn't stand a chance in this race, and Jordan at least has a fighting chance to beat Sousa. Jordan himself isn't too bad of a candidate, I can overlook his being a Republican :cry: . If Sousa wins, I hope he isn't the same uber-conservative party pooper that Picht was.

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:32 PM

Greg, us District 9 residents are left out of the process. I feel very unfortunate that I'm not going to be able to vote for a person in my district.

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:10 PM

Although McBee lost, he did have a very respectable showing against a longtime incumbent.

Does anyone know what turnout numbers were like?

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:22 PM

Low.

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:56 PM

What makes such a high number of voters in a thriving city like FW so dang apathetic?

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:13 PM

My guess is that there were no real big "issues" involved with this election and the fact that so many of the council members were running unopposed.

#9 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:31 PM

My guess is that there were no real big "issues" involved with this election and the fact that so many of the council members were running unopposed.

View Post

If people really cared, then yes there would be some "real" big issues.
Issues:
1) N.Main St. Mercado district, money woes tied in with the project, little print time from DFWST.
2) TIF needs to be under review and fit the right mold for what FW is all about. Are we a fiscally conservative municipality, as many of CC folks ran with last year, or are we liked to liberal spenders?
3) TRV needs to be under review and asked of what our CC members feel the impact will be, the cost, the rwards, the pain in the neck traffic, etc. etc.
4) Property tax review, are our roads benefiting from it, are the schools benefiting. Chase the money trail for the voting citizens.
5) Why Lobs is not running for Distr. 9? If I still lived there, I would run, as SAFLY.
6) Where is the townhall meeting? When? Why it is not promoted from election year to election year in a public open forum.
7) Do CC officials weigh in on city matters with what the FWAForum members post about?
8) What is in the future for already executed TIF projects? How does the state of the job market fair in this city, and where is it projected, and under who's watch?
9) Are jobs promised through TIF projects and if so what kind (low/high wage), and how many (temp./permanent)
10) Will FW have a MLeague sports franchise in the next 4 years?
11) What impact (positive/negative) DFWInc. has on businesses within the CBD, and beyond the SS theme.
12) Impact that the DTFW residential RE market has on our economy? Long term and near? To what extent?
*13) How far are the CC members of FW and it's assoc. with the Arts, willing to back and support the numerous artists (dancers, musicians, visual-artists, educators, and etc.) involved with the overall welfare/promotions of the Arts? Are CC members of FW willing to allow certain municipal tax breaks for educators and player/performers alike in this arena? Are they willing to back these performers in times of contract negotiations for better wages, expanding growth, and community involvement(s)? Are CC members willing to support/offer municipal sponsorship(s) for continued growth and success of the Arts?
*14) What does the future hold for us in the idea/planning for more manageable, more effecient, and more cost-effective measures to be taken in the MASS TRANSIT Revolution for FWians, Tarrant County, and N. Texas commuters? And WHO exactly is For or Against these measures? What is the timetable for these measures? What is the estimated cost for these measures?

And Finally #15) Are we willing to work with fellow N.Texas cities and counties to bring this vision into a reality, or are we still settling on the Mayors push for the SH121T vision?

Anything else, fill em in.

NOW is the time to voice your concerns folks. ;)
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#10 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:02 AM

Yawn...we have a runoff election. Considering that Jordan got about 50% of the vote and most of the Mosely voters will vote for him (if they bother to vote again at all), I think Sousa is wasting his time. He should just concede the seat to Jordan and save us all the trouble. ;)

#11 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:49 PM

Safly, what do you mean by this? I don't know what the mayor's vision is and how that differs from those of other cities. And why does the opinion of other North Texas cities matter with regard to the design of the tollway as it passes through Fort Worth (virtually the entire project is in Fort Worth).

"And Finally #15) Are we willing to work with fellow N.Texas cities and counties to bring this vision into a reality, or are we still settling on the Mayors push for the SH121T vision?"

#12 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:29 AM

Speaking for myself and not SAFLY, I would note that over $300 million in public funds are going to SH121T while other parts of Tarrant County are starved for funds while enduring far worse congestion than poor ole Cityview. And if one expands the view to the region (as opposed to Cowtown-centric) it is practically a criminal waste of funds considering the many parts of our transportation network that are in truly desperate need.

That said, however, I haven't noticed any visionaries among leaders in other metroplex cities or counties.

#13 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:50 PM

Sal Espino announced that he won't run for re-election and threw his support behind an active Northside neighborhood association president:

http://www.star-tele...e117483113.html

#14 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 03:25 PM

Does anyone know when the election filing deadline is?

#15 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 03:44 PM

Does anyone know when the election filing deadline is?

The filing period for the May 1, 2021, General Election will be January 13, 2021 – February 12, 2021.

https://www.fortwort...etary/elections

#16 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 03:52 PM

Oh nice, thank you!

Really curious to see how this will end up.

#17 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 12:25 PM

Star T asks, Will Price run again?

https://www.star-tel...e248084345.html

#18 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 01:00 PM

Here are some candidates who have already set up campaign websites:

Jen Sarduy in District 2, currently represented by Carlos Flores https://sarduyfordistrict2.com/

Tara Wilson in District 4, currently represented by Cary Moon https://www.votetarawilson.com/

Dr. Jared Williams in District 6, currently represented by Jungus Jordan https://www.drjaredwilliams.com/

currentFWmap.png

#19 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 02:17 PM

The above article was updated to reflect Brian Byrd's interest in running for mayor.  I was surprised that wasn't mentioned since I've always heard he was planning to run for mayor someday.

I would assume Dee Kelly's interest indicates that he's the hand picked successor for Mayor Price.  It's interesting that he would be the 4th straight mayor to come from outside the council if he were to win.

And unrelated to the current council, but I read last night on Twitter that longtime councilman Clyde Picht passed away recently.

#20 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 04 January 2021 - 01:42 PM

Dr. Jared Williams in District 6, currently represented by Jungus Jordan https://www.drjaredwilliams.com/

I was hoping to find out more about his industry or municipal experience but no work history listed? https://www.linkedin.com/in/jaredwphd/

He earned his doctorate from UNT in Environmental Science & Science Education, studying Sustainable Urban Infrastructure & Development which is a plus.

His campaign page lists him as an Adjunct Professor of Biology at the TCCD Trinity River Campus but I can't find him in the TCCD faculty and staff directory.  

Seems like he's plugged into several organizations on their boards and with his church on staff their too:

https://www.sofwbf.c...jared-williams/

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 05:38 PM

Mayor Price is holding a press conference tomorrow at 10 AM.

#22 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:12 PM

Bud Kennedy is saying on Twitter that she is not running.

#23 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 08:22 AM

Good move.  She's had her run.

My blog: Doohickie

#24 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:29 AM

Bud Kennedy is saying on Twitter that she is not running.

34_grande.png?v=1571606117

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#25 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 12:49 PM

Confirmed - Posted 22-minutes ago: 

After a decade as Fort Worth mayor, Betsy Price says she won’t seek reelection

https://www.star-tel...e248271230.html

#26 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 05 January 2021 - 07:36 PM

Ann Zadeh is throwing her hat into the ring.

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 08:12 PM

Heck yes.

#28 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 08:33 PM

Her Facebook post from this afternoon says she's still deciding. "Listening to our neighbors from central, east, south, north and west Fort Worth, listening to our businesses- large, small, established and budding, and listening to the big dreams that all of our citizens have for themselves and their families will be central to my decision about a run for Mayor of Fort Worth." https://facebook.com/annzadehcampaign/

#29 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 09:53 PM

Mayor Price served the city longer than any other mayor.  The one thing that I really liked about her was that she was very personable and was a great ambassador for our city.  As all of you know, I have two main civic causes.  One is to make this city more bicycle friendly and the other is historic preservation.  Since she was a cyclist, she championed the cause.  As an aside, that's how I first met her before she became Mayor.  I met her through the cycling community.  On the preservation side of things, we disagreed quite a bit.  I will say one thing positive regarding the disagreement.  She told me exactly where she stood on the issue and that helped me to be able to predict her votes on preservation issues, and I knew what her positions were.  I appreciate the honesty that she expressed on the subject.  This is in stark contrast to a former councilperson who was not up front and honest in their position.

#30 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:13 PM

I nominate John Roberts for mayor.

#31 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:30 PM

I know that you should "never say never", but I would never run for public office.  Thanks for the nomination, but I will politely decline.

#32 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 11:42 PM

I think the accessible bike trails are a really big deal and was instrumental taking Fort Worth from good to great. It has been such a positive thing for our city on so many levels.

#33 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 04:10 PM

Big surprise: Dee Kelly is out of the running. 

https://twitter.com/...9713796096?s=20

#34 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:49 PM

I suspect that Dee Kelly and Brian Byrd would have split the more right leaning side of the vote, just in the same way that Deborah Peoples, Ann Zedah, and Ramon Romero would split the other side.  Kelly bowing out opens the door for someone else from the business community to jump in or many of his backers may stand behind Bird.  Whatever happens, if 3 of the above stay in the race and anyone else jumps in, it will come down to a runoff.

#35 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 01:30 PM

Dennis Shingleton is not running for re-election.

#36 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 02:07 PM

Byrd officially announced that he is in. 

#37 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:33 PM

Sounds like the 7th Street gang has made their pick for the next Mayor:

Luke "Wear a Mask" Ranker ☀️ (@lukeranker) Tweeted:

Sources close to Councilman Brian Byrd’s campaign say he’s already up to $500,000 in the bank. Haven’t heard from other mayoral candidates. Official filing starts tomorrow. 

#FortWorth #FWTX

https://twitter.com/...6069591040?s=20

#38 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:43 PM

Another very strong contender (perhaps the strongest so far?), Mattie Parker has entered the race. Interestingly, the article notes that she was asked to run.

https://fortworthbus...ysORrV9pEjw8hak

#39 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:22 AM

Here are some candidates who have already set up campaign websites:

Jen Sarduy in District 2, currently represented by Carlos Flores https://sarduyfordistrict2.com/

Tara Wilson in District 4, currently represented by Cary Moon https://www.votetarawilson.com/

Michael Crain in District 3, currently represented by Brian Byrd https://m.facebook.c...crainfortworth/

#40 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:27 PM

Kelly Allen Grey and Carlos Flores both are running again. 

Firestone is out of the running.

#41 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:47 AM

Gyna Bivens has two challengers in District 5

Bob Willoughby https://www.fwdistrict5.com/

Ricky Vasquez https://twitter.com/...ftworth?lang=en

#42 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:42 AM

We don't know that.  She said she's looking into it.  She's supposed to make an announcement this morning.  All the teasers point to her running but she hasn't announced definitively yet.

#43 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:13 AM

last night Zadeh posted a photo of herself filling out paperwork.

seems likely we'll find out today if it was paperwork to run for reelection or mayor...

#44 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:55 AM

In a video, Ann says she's in for Mayor.

https://www.facebook...830803610426935

#45 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:36 PM

John wrote: 

Mayor Price served the city longer than any other mayor.  The one thing that I really liked about her was that she was very personable and was a great ambassador for our city.  As all of you know, I have two main civic causes.  One is to make this city more bicycle friendly and the other is historic preservation

One reason we voted for her was that she had very strong Fort Worth's Budget and financial background.  That means while in office she kept her eye on the Fort Worth spending.  Money people stay around for a long time.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#46 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:41 AM

Two more have entered the race for mayor:
Chris Rector https://m.facebook.c...otechrisrector/

Mike Haynes, who doesn't appear to have a campaign site but did participate in a Star-Telegram Q&A when he ran in 2019
https://amp.star-tel...e228848734.html

#47 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:59 AM

Fernando Peralta in District 9, currently represented by Ann Zadeh
https://m.facebook.com/vote.peralta/

#48 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:17 PM

Chris Nettles is running in District 8, currently represented by Kelly Allen Gray. https://www.chrisnettlescampaign.com/

So far, not seeing anyone campaigning to take over for retiring Dennis Shingleton in District 7.

#49 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:44 PM

Fernando Peralta in District 9, currently represented by Ann Zadeh
https://m.facebook.com/vote.peralta/

He's an interesting dude and has worked with several people I know.

#50 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:44 PM

Parker has a website up.

https://www.mattieparkerformayor.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users