Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:24 PM

City Council OKs pedestrian bridge at Trinity Park
ALESHIA CLAUNCH 02.MAY.05

After receiving the OK from the Fort Worth City Council last week, a new pedestrian footbridge across the Trinity River is one step closer to construction.

The council authorized City Manager Charles Boswell to enter into an agreement with the Tarrant Regional Water District to design and construct the bridge. The walkway will link the Trinity River Park to Fort Worth’s Central Business District.

District 9 council representative Wendy Davis said city officials hope the bridge will increase accessibility to both the river and the cultural district. The bridge site is in Davis’s district.

“We hope to make the river a little more pedestrian-friendly and we thought this would help in two sectors of the city,” she said.

The bridge will be constructed with money set aside from a joint venture grant approved in 2003 as part of an Economic Development Program Agreement for So. 7 – a development project that includes residential and commercial development on West Seventh Street. More than $1 million is earmarked for the project.

The cultural district, which includes Seventh Street, Camp Bowie Boulevard, Montgomery Street and other areas southwest of downtown Fort Worth, is in the midst of a major revitalization. So. 7, which is being developed by Dallas-based UC Urban/United and their partners, includes the renovation of the Montgomery Ward building.

Davis said the council wanted to further enhance the area by connecting it to the bike and walking trails that run along the Trinity River near the cultural district. The footbridge will be constructed immediately south of the Lancaster Street bridge.

“There’s already a pedestrian crossing, but the city has committed funds to widening the existing bridge on West Seventh Street,” Davis said. “Our goal is to get more people out enjoying our river with as little effort as possible.”

Davis said the footbridge has no official tie to the Trinity River Vision project, a comprehensive plan that includes a riverwalk and a town lake as well as extensive residential and commercial real estate development along the banks of the river.

Council members also voted last week to include an evaluation of other sites along the Trinity Trails – dirt trails that run on either side of the river — that could benefit from pedestrian bridges.

“This will be a great thing for the cultural district and for people who frequent the Trinity Trails,” Davis said. “We hope to do more in the coming years to bring the Trinity River back to life, and connecting pedestrian bridges such as these are a great start to that.”

#2 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:05 AM

Great News!!! I have been hoping for such a bridge. I hope that it will be a natural bridge made of stone...Please, please nothing awful and modern.

"keep Fort Worth Folksy!"

#3 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 05 May 2005 - 03:31 PM

Gotta love those millenia old stone briges people build nowadays. :angry:

Thanks for posting this, Thurman. I was looking at the article around the timeyou posted and was thinking "gee, I wonder why this isn't on the Forum yet..." I do find it funny, though, that the FWBP reported So7 and Montgomery Wards as part of the same project.

#4 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:44 PM

The article didn't mention the design of the bridge. How will the architect be selected?

This is a tremendous opportunity. I think there are many different types of designs that could work - from eye-catching, splashy to understaded and classic.

I have no problem with modern architecture here - however, I would strongly urge the use of materials that age well. No glass, no metal panels, and nothing colored white. Too often architects design projects using these materials that look great when new and clean but age poorly as they inevitably get dirty and develop patinas with age.

I think bicycle connectivity between So7 and Downtown so that people can conveniently commute by bicycle. This could be accomplished via this ped bridge or by widening or re-arranging the 7th Street bridge (stripe a bike lane, expand the sidewalk on one side)

#5 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:57 PM

W 7th Street Bridge Reconstruction:

From City Council Agenda

West 7th Street Bridge over the Clear Fork Trinity River:

The existing West 7th Street Bridge was built in two sections: the first section was built in 1913 over the Clear Fork Trinity River prior to its channelization, this portion now spans Forest Park Boulevard; the second section of the bridge was built in 1955 with the channelization of the river. TxDOT’s structural evaluation of the entire bridge determined that the 1913 portion of the bridge must be replaced. The 1955 portion of the bridge will be rehabilitated to accommodate wider sidewalks to match the reconstructed portion of the bridge (Bridge ID# 022200ZZ7600001).

The total estimated cost for eligible work for this project is $5,704,000. The city is responsible for 10% of the cost of eligible work on this project ($570,400), plus 100% of costs that are deemed ineligible by TxDOT, including right-of-way acquisition, utility relocation, environmental mitigation and any other non-standard construction at an estimated cost of $804,000.

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(Thurman52 @ Nov 23 2005, 05:57 PM) View Post

W 7th Street Bridge Reconstruction:

From City Council Agenda

... TxDOT’s structural evaluation of the entire bridge determined that the 1913 portion of the bridge must be replaced. The 1955 portion of the bridge will be rehabilitated to accommodate wider sidewalks to match the reconstructed portion of the bridge (Bridge ID# 022200ZZ7600001)...

I wonder if this project includes redesigning lanes that could be used for light rail or trolley?

#7 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:43 PM

Trinity Trails – dirt trails that run on either side of the river
rotflmao.gif
Wouldn't say that writer did any "on the ground" research. Even the least improved trails are a fine gravel. No dirt trails anywhere.

#8 fwresident

fwresident

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:43 PM

The conceptual design for this new pedestrian bridge was presented at a public meeting on May 17th. Here's a link to the presentation: http://www.trinityri...s/report_28.PDF

Construction is expected to be complete by late 2010.

#9 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:19 PM

The design seems to be based primarily on the Paddock Viaduct. I like it.

#10 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

Looks like the TRWD is installing a new path from the future bridge to the Pier 1 building along Forest Park.

#11 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (Thurman52 @ Sep 2 2008, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like the TRWD is installing a new path from the future bridge to the Pier 1 building along Forest Park.

My only question is how are all of those yachts and sailboats pictured in the trinity uptown presentation going to clear this bridge?

#12 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:49 AM

With smaller yachts and 23 - 25' sailboats you probably can momentarily tilt the mast back or step the mast.
But by that time.. the river width is probably too narrow for sailboats.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#13 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (AdamB @ Sep 3 2008, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Thurman52 @ Sep 2 2008, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My only question is how are all of those yachts and sailboats pictured in the trinity uptown presentation going to clear this bridge?

Luckily, I was able to locate the actual sailing cutter used in the brochure, and actually ran it down the Trinity with no problems at all. Problem solved!

www.fortworthview.com

#14 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:21 PM

I do not think a C&C 121 would fit. Tall mast would not fit under the walk bridge.
Sorry about cluttering up your Trinity River image. I will take it off if you like.

c&c 121 is 40 foot long and has only a 5 foot draft meaning it only needs 5 or 6 foot or water to stay afloat.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#15 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

rotflmao.gif you so funny 360!!! I lived aboard a yacht for over a year on a body of water MUCH larger than the Trinity and couldn't go under any of the local bridges...in short, ain't gonna happen!!

#16 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:35 AM

The city is expected to award the construction contract Tuesday for the bridge with construction starting in Jan.

#17 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

So now the bike lane to nowhere on the east side of the river will go somewhere. Good deal.
My blog: Doohickie

#18 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

Construction of the Phyllis Tilley Memorial bridge is now underway. This afternoon surveyors were working on both sides of the river and awaiting arrival of a drilling rig to begin the first step of construction.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A little further upstream, crews on the east side of the river were working on more of the rubble erosion control:

Posted Image

No word on where the toll booth will be located on the bridge to pay for the $2 million price tag as all non-car development in Fort Worth requires immediate self-sustainability. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#19 DKinFW

DKinFW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:19 PM

Does anyone know if there are any plans to extend the bike path south (on the east side of the river) towards the Mistletoe Heights area or at least as far south as I-30?

#20 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

There is a story in the local daily about the pedestrian bridge. Not really very well written, looks like a last-minute space filler. There is a little interesting information about the bridge structure. Apparently the design uses stressed support cables in order to extend the span. Fewer and further spaced piers would be less impacted by flood surges.

http://www.star-tele...iancycling.html

#21 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

I noticed this morning that the steel i-beams for at least one of the bridge arches are being assembled on the east side of the Trinity.

#22 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

It is absolutely unbelievable to me how long it is taking to build this bridge, as well as the new Bellaire bridge just west of the Hulen fiasco. I guess in order to build something on schedule around here, it needs to be tolled. Cycling thru the Bellaire mess yesterday and noted the signage (Trail construction starting 12-10-10) Over a YEAR now. They rebuilt the I-35W bridge in Minneapolis in less time!

#23 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:32 PM

Volare, you and other cyclists are making the same comments. Also, there is going to be another section of trail torn up between Hulen and Bryant Irvin when they start constructing the Chisholm Trail Parkway over the Trinity River. One of my cycling buddies has already mentioned that he may start to prefer riding toward Gateway, rather than Benbrook.

#24 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

Unfortunately I live only a few miles from the Gateway end on the trail, so going that direction doesn't help me much. When I rode Wednesday they were pouring concrete on the new section just west of Bryant Irvin. Not exactly sure why they replaced that section of ashpalt- would have much preferred seeing completion of other projects rather than starting a new one.

#25 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

I live on the South Side of town, so if I'm riding on my own and not with the FWBA, I usually catch the trail at University. Riding from my house, it is about the same distance if I go to Whiskey Flats, Quanah Parker Park, or up the West Fork Trail to Burger's Lake. I have plenty of options. Going out to Benbrook has always been mine and my riding buddies' preference.

As for the section of asphalt they are replacing, I think the reason for this is because the asphalt was not in the best of shape in that section. Several river projects in that stretch had torn it up pretty bad. Since we are drifting off of the topic of the bridge, I may start a new one just for the Trinity Trails. I may place it within the "Public and Institutional" so it may have more visibility.

#26 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

They appear to be putting up a crane for the next phase. Seems odd for overall scale of the bridge

#27 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Well, it's a heck of a reach. When I drove by this morning on the way to work, there was a large mobile crane on each side waiting to setup. I'm sure either one of them could pick up the structure easily, but not lean out over the river far enough to get it positioned without falling in. I'd be surprised if they are there longer than today. Hopefully we'll get an update picture soon from someone handy with a camera.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#28 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

The new arch is installed.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#29 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

AndyN yes it is. This is so exciting, although it took awhile but there's no better time than the present

#30 Roger_H

Roger_H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

This has got to be the slowest construction project in town.

#31 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

When I got home from work tonight, I grabbed my Camera and tripod and walked down 7th Street to the Trinity River. Headed South to the other side of Lancaster Ave. to check out the bridge construction.

Shot from the 7th Street Bridge.
Posted Image

Under the Lancaster Ave. Bridge
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#32 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Some months ago, I sent off an email to Trinity River Vision (TRV) about the ever ongoing problem of "tagging" (graffiti) on bridges, etc. citing to TRV what has already been perpetrated on the bridge ramps leading to the new Dallas Trinity River bridges. I followed up with a question to TRV asking what their engineers might do to combat "tagging" on the new bridges planned to span the Trinity River in Fort Worth. I was given assurance that TRV would have in place a plan to address tagging.

If what I can tell of the Phyllis Tilley Bridge, TRV has no plans which will prevent this bridge from becoming the latest conquest of taggers; and will instead resort to the standard practice of painting over the "tags" with some generic gray color.

What a shame.

Keep Fort Worth folksy

#33 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

I took some video of the installation. I need to edit it a bit as it took 3 different phases of moving to get it into place. Once that's done I will share it with you all. I also took photos that I shared with Fort Worthology, and those were posted today.

#34 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

Here is the video that I took of the arch raising. I sped it up 4x otherwise it would be extra boring!

#35 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Thank you for that. Appears that you had the best location so as to keep the full length of the bridge in the camera view finder for the whole process. Great Job.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#36 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Sure enough. A+ video job. Great dynamic range. Seems the entire image is properly exposed throughout.
www.fortworthview.com

#37 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

iPhone 4S gets all the credit. I didn't do anything other than try and hold it steady, then edit it together.

#38 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Time to get Apple stock!
www.fortworthview.com

#39 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Some months ago, I sent off an email to Trinity River Vision (TRV) about the ever ongoing problem of "tagging" (graffiti) on bridges, etc. citing to TRV what has already been perpetrated on the bridge ramps leading to the new Dallas Trinity River bridges. I followed up with a question to TRV asking what their engineers might do to combat "tagging" on the new bridges planned to span the Trinity River in Fort Worth. I was given assurance that TRV would have in place a plan to address tagging.

If what I can tell of the Phyllis Tilley Bridge, TRV has no plans which will prevent this bridge from becoming the latest conquest of taggers; and will instead resort to the standard practice of painting over the "tags" with some generic gray color.

What a shame.

Keep Fort Worth folksy

What would you possibly suggest?

#40 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Some months ago, I sent off an email to Trinity River Vision (TRV) about the ever ongoing problem of "tagging" (graffiti) on bridges, etc. .....

What would you possibly suggest?

Posted in a Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice, Florida blog:

Well, they could install a digital camera and when they notice the tags, they can just go back and look at the video. Where I lived they did that. Then the pic got plastered on the TV with a reward. Then the person was turned in, fined 5K, had to paint the entire wall, etc. AND they had to wear a sign saying " I vandalize property" and stand on the major intersection for a month on the weekends.
It cost the city nothing but the initial cameras which the fines paid for and guess where the tagging stopped? Yep! End of problem In almost 3 yrs since the program started there was only 1 "graffiti" and it was on an over pass and it said " I Love Amy" with a pink heart. So I am not thinking it was a gang. It was removed in a couple days.

Maybe TRV can do what was done in Florida - I am thinking this could work here too.

#41 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

That's funny

#42 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

Shot this tonight. Sure enough looks done to me.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#43 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

Aim your camera a little further to the west. When I rode by the other day, it hadn't been connected to the trail yet!

#44 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

I heard August 25th is the dedication and opening of the crossing.

#45 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

More information here about the dedication on August 25th http://streamsandval...-august-25-2012
Open to the public, preferred seating a $400 donation.

#46 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

Brian. Again nice shot like usual, of the Phyllis Tilley pedestrian bridge

#47 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

They planned the dedication on the same day as one of the largest century rides in the country (HHH in Wichita Falls) so there may be a distince lack of road cyclists in attendance. But I expect the urban riders will make up for it!

#48 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:08 AM

Today (Saturday, August 25th, 2012) is the dedication/ grand opening of this great new pedestrian bridge over the Trinity River. The opening ceremony starts at 10am but there will be a party until 2pm. Seems like a fun event. See you there...

http://fortworthtexa....aspx?id=101034
www.fortworthview.com

#49 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:27 AM

Isn't there a bridge closer to downtown already? Just curious, but what does this add? It's pretty, though.

#50 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

mmiller, this bridge does connect Trinity Park with downtown. And makes it convenient for people and bicycles to stay on the trails without coming up stairs to mix it up with cars on the big bridges. (I speculate.)

The first people to cross. (Each of these people a somebody.)
Posted Image

Most of these people should look familiar. Also the Tarrant Regional Water people, Streams and Valley's people and Council People and Mayor Price.
Posted Image

The Architect of the Bridge, from Boston, Miguel Rosales.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users