68 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:57 PM

An interesting note in the commercial board of adjustment.

10. BAC-16-123 OGC Main Street LP by Mitchell Planning Group 2315 N. Main Street a. Request a VARIANCE in a “MU-2” High Intensity Mixed-Use District to permit the construction of a 75-foot building, where 60 feet is allowed, excessive by 15 feet.

75 feet could be 4-7 floors or so. Mitchell Planning group seems be a medical company with quite a few hospitals in their portfolio. 

Of course, the big wedge building is currently located at this address. In the past, I'd heard murmurs that it could be torn down. I haven't seen anything to indicate that is what is planned, anyone else heard anything or know what this variance request could be about?

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:11 PM

If you had attended the Stockyards meetings, you might have even heard the owner state that he was contemplating demolishing the building.  However, I don't know the specifics about the project or the variance.

#3 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:53 AM

I haven't been to one of those meetings in a year... but if this means getting rid of the Wells Fargo monolith, I'm all for it.  

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#4 Bonfire98A

Bonfire98A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:01 AM

Call me crazy, but I never thought the "wedge building" was all that terrible, in and of itself -- the only thing wrong with it is where it's located.  It's obvious that postmodern architecture like that is completely inappropriate for the historic Stockyards area, but if you were to pick it up and drop it somewhere else ... you'd have an enormous pile of bricks to clean up.  

Basically, if the wedge had been built within a more appropriate context, I think it would draw far less criticism.

#5 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:45 PM

Call me crazy, but I never thought the "wedge building" was all that terrible, in and of itself -- the only thing wrong with it is where it's located.  It's obvious that postmodern architecture like that is completely inappropriate for the historic Stockyards area, but if you were to pick it up and drop it somewhere else ... you'd have an enormous pile of bricks to clean up.  

Basically, if the wedge had been built within a more appropriate context, I think it would draw far less criticism.

Like where? 

I can't really think of one area in this entire Metroplex where it WOULDN'T get the criticism it gets. It's a giant, mostly windowless building. Unless there's some kind of mural or big advert space on it, I don't see where no one wouldn't complain about it in some way.

7fwPZnE.png

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:04 PM

The owner of the building actually requested that this property and all of his properties to not be included in any overlay placed on the Stockyards properties.  I believe some of his properties received the historic overlay and the design district overlay, but I do know that this particular property was not included in the historic district overlay.  This means that he will be able to tear down and construct a new building on the site without going before the Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission. 

Over the years, I had been told that the building was built around some existing buildings which partially explains its shape.  I had previously looked at current Google Maps and I could see that there was a one or two story "L" shaped building in the middle of the wedge.  Historicaerials.com show that "L" shaped building previously existing.  The back portion of the building was a little taller.  Recently, I ran across a 1949 photograph of North Fort Worth State Bank from the UTA Library Special Collections.  This building almost matched what is inside the wedge.  However, back in 1949, it was long and linear, not "L" shaped.  The southern addition came in the 1960's.  I then remembered that when I was younger, the old North Fort Worth State Bank was in that location.  The wedge was built in 1978 and when it opened, I believe that it was still called North Fort Worth State Bank.  Martin Growald designed that addition, and I remember it opened shortly after the Tandy Center was completed.  Growald also designed the Tandy Center.  I thought you all would find it interesting that I uncovered evidence that it was built around the original bank building on the same site. 

#7 Bonfire98A

Bonfire98A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:11 PM

Like where? 

I can't really think of one area in this entire Metroplex where it WOULDN'T get the criticism it gets. It's a giant, mostly windowless building. Unless there's some kind of mural or big advert space on it, I don't see where no one wouldn't complain about it in some way.

Mind you, I never meant to suggest that the wedge is on a par with the county courthouse or the T&P station in terms of aesthetic value -- all I was saying is if it were in a business park environment, surrounded by other buildings of similar vintage, it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb the way it does in the Stockyards.  

Part of it is also, to me, a personal fascination with buildings that take on purely geometric forms, like the wedge building, or Fountain Place in downtown Dallas on a larger scale.  (This also explains my revulsion to most of Frank Gehry's work.)  

And now that you mention it, the wedge's plain and vast side walls are begging to be muraled up (assuming they don't ultimately get knocked down).  The walls most in need of murals, in my opinion, are those of the AT&T building downtown.

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:30 AM

Some blurry renders of the proposed replacement of the wedge that was presented to board of adjustment. 170 room hotel, rooftop bar and restaurant. Sounds like it'll be Marriott. 

9cTP8Yx.png

BoG3YKn.png

0JpTfit.png

The design was said to be "authentic to the historic character of the stockyards" and that stucco was "consistent with the stockyards".

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:10 AM

I saw your post earlier this morning and I still can't decide if that isn't worse than the wedge.

#10 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:00 PM

I'm not fan of this plan at all. Terrible usage IMHO.

I did have an idea for the wedge. I was thinking that you could keep the building and maybe renovate it to create an open air farmer's market and mircro restaurant and food court type space using the upper floors as small creative/office studios.

The small buildings north of the the wedge across the parking lot that are along 24th st can be made into bars or restaurants to give people another alternative to Exchange st.

#11 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

I'm sure the city would be more than eager to ok such a plan that would compete directly with their new best buds from Majestic.

#12 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

That building looks horrible and not unique at all for the stockyards

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:18 PM

I saw your post earlier this morning and I still can't decide if that isn't worse than the wedge.

I think I'd prefer the wedge myself.

#14 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:48 AM

Apparently, both the Near South (Magnolia Hotel) and the Cultural District  (Hotel Revo) are asking for a getting more than the generic, "lipstick on a pig" hotels that are going in near the Stockyards.

• JBB likes this

#15 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:11 PM

The hotel design doesn't look ugly to me, but it also doesn't fit the character of the area.

This would be a nice hotel building for a different part of town.

-Dylan

#16 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

It looks more like Montgomery Plaza than anything in The Stockyards.

7fwPZnE.png

#17 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

Stucco is not authentic...brick and wood is authentic.

#18 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

The hotel design doesn't look ugly to me, but it also doesn't fit the character of the area.

Really?

The Stockyards has examples of exactly this style.

My blog: Doohickie

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:40 PM

Yes, but all of those buildings are over 50 years old and historic.  When following the Secretary of Interior's Standards, new construction should be compatible, but different enough to distinguish the new from the old.  The problem here is that they don't apply because this site was carved out of the Stockyards Historic District.

#20 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

I don't follow what you're trying to say at all.

My blog: Doohickie

#21 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

I probably should not have made the post.  I was pretty incoherent.  I was in a hurry. 

I guess what I was trying to say is that if you build in a historic district and you follow the Secretary of Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation, you are supposed to be compatible in the design of the new, but different enough in appearance, that the new is distinguished from the old.  This property was carved out of the City of Fort Worth Stockyards Historic District; therefore, these standards don't legally apply.  Even though the name of the standards has "Rehabilitation" in the title, it also applies some of the items to new construction.  If I am still not making any sense, you can attribute it to meeting a big deadline at work.

#22 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:15 AM

The new hotel will carry be a SpringHill Suites By Marriott. I would expect some activity to happen soon on the site. I haven't seen any demolition permits for the wedge, but I expect it to come soon.

#23 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:01 AM

The new hotel will carry be a SpringHill Suites By Marriott. I would expect some activity to happen soon on the site. I haven't seen any demolition permits for the wedge, but I expect it to come soon.

I drove by yesterday and the whole site was circled buy a black construction fence. Let's hope this means something will get started soon. I take it the planned apartments are being axed.

#24 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

Is it too late for a redesign...?

7fwPZnE.png

#25 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

Ya know...  I don't hate it but it looks like it should be facing the gulf on Seawall Blvd. in Galveston.  Just throw in some palm trees and maybe outline it in hot pink neon.  ;-)

#26 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

Sandra Baker of ST has the dets. Tim Love will operate the rooftop cafe.

QUkUS1H.jpg

#27 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

Not great, but not completely terrible like the last rendering. The rooftop cafe could be really cool.

Also, The article didn't mention anything, but if it were to have some ground floor retail that would have me more excited about this project. Other than that, it's a serviceable building I suppose.

#28 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:07 PM

If any of you live or work close by, you might want to check out the demolition fairly frequently.  Maybe someone could verify that the current wedge was built around a 1940's bank building.

#29 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:16 PM

If any of you live or work close by, you might want to check out the demolition fairly frequently.  Maybe someone could verify that the current wedge was built around a 1940's bank building.

I grew up on the Northside and worked as a teller in the bank for 3 years in the early 90's... My mom still lives in the home I was born in so I'm in the area often. I'll definitely check it out as frequently as I can.

It's nice to see some projects develop in the area and add a bit of life and newness to the Stockyards and the Northside. It's been a long time coming.

#30 Askelon

Askelon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:21 PM

Comments of personal opinion-

1. Agree with  Bonfire and Austin to a certain extent - the Wedge would not be that bad in a more appropriate setting- possibly with the high side backed with another building twice it's height and of simular materials ( appeals to a simplistic geometric harmony.) But, even with that, it does seem a bad match for the Stockyards area.

2. First rendering (Austins' post # 8,) Nice try with the quasi- missionary rooftop facade-which is totally destroyed by breaking the pattern with the upside down " ell " shape topped by a flat roof. Eliminate that design quirk, change stucco color to a more yellow-creme color, add some irregularly placed balconies with wrought iron railings topped with red tile half roofs and/or missionary facades to break up the "block apartment " look and I'd go for it in that area.

3. Second rendering ( Austins' post # 26,) Actually find that more attractive to some extent. But for the Stockyards? No, just no. I think THIS would be more appropriate in some other settings in the City. Glass walls and ( I'm guessing, ) skylights with anodized framework? Smooth exterior walls with flushmount windows? Seems a little too modern for the area.

Oh well, it's just an opinion.  

Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible. F. Zappa.

#31 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:56 AM

The windows look weird to me, and it still doesn't seem to fit the Stockyards area.

That said, this is much better than the existing wedge building.

-Dylan

#32 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

Weird, yes; and so much lacking of some minute but enhancing detail that the design team might have included but did not.

What makes this project look mediocre is the standard auto-centric carport.  For comparison, there are two local examples of proposed hotels that give their auto/entry area designs much better thought:

Hampton Hotel 9th @ Commerce -

hampton-render.jpg

Hilton Garden Hotel Jones & 4th -

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-10%20at%209.49.1

#33 Askelon

Askelon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

Weird, yes; and so much lacking of some minute but enhancing detail that the design team might have included but did not.

What makes this project look mediocre is the standard auto-centric carport.  For comparison, there are two local examples of proposed hotels that give their auto/entry area designs much better thought:

Hampton Hotel 9th @ Commerce -

hampton-render.jpg

Hilton Garden Hotel Jones & 4th -

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-10%20at%209.49.1

Oh yes. Much better design for the auto entrance.  I don't mean to be a wet blanket but from the thin footprint of the proposed building ( I'm guessing single hall, rooms on each side a la Interstate Highway Motel,) it would take a strange redesign of the public lobby area. But again, yes, this design is much better.

#34 Askelon

Askelon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:07 PM

Guess I was concentrating on the second image only. Notice in the first image that the auto entrance is accommodated by a kicked-out canopy. Now that would work.

#35 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

I think the drop off lane should be within the parking lot, and the building itself continue to the corner of the street.

#36 Bonfire98A

Bonfire98A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

According to this FB post on the Fort Worth Memories group, there is fencing around the Wedge, in preparation for the building's imminent demise.  I'd be very interested to see demolition pix of this building, especially to see the older building supposedly hidden within.

#37 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:24 PM

John and I both commented on that post (I'm Austin)

#38 Bonfire98A

Bonfire98A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

Something else interesting I just discovered -- immediately to the north of the Wedge is an apparent mini-Wedge at 2341 N Main, facing the opposite direction of its bigger sibling.  Take a look here.

#39 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:15 PM

I drove by last night and it looked like a lot of demolition of the mechanical equipment was already happening.

#40 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

Something else interesting I just discovered -- immediately to the north of the Wedge is an apparent mini-Wedge at 2341 N Main, facing the opposite direction of its bigger sibling.  Take a look here.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to forget about that when you've got that beast right across the parking lot. 

7fwPZnE.png

#41 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

Demolition has started.

#42 Bonfire98A

Bonfire98A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:33 PM

Here's a demo pic from the FW Memories FB group.

#43 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:40 PM

DFsxq13VYAEkDtQ.jpg

DFsxsx2UAAAz7Ny.jpg

#44 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:46 PM

Austin, I'm glad that you posted these over here, so I could explain how the building was built and expanded.  It started out as North Fort Worth State Bank with a one and two story building which was located in the center of the wedge.  You can see the east wall of the old bank right in the middle span.  The bank was built around 1949.  Around 1960, the two story portion was expanded nearly to the alley on the west and a one story addition was built to the south.  That addition shows up to the right of the center bay.  In the 1970's the bank was significantly enlarged and built around the original building and its additions.  This gave the building the appearance of the wedge.  It was reportedly built out of the bricks from the old Swift Plant.

#45 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:54 PM

Additional renderings Source

DSP3iEzUMAErFOw.jpg

DODor6kW4AILsvf.jpg

• JBB likes this

#46 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for posting these.

#47 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:37 PM

Additional renderings Source

DSP3iEzUMAErFOw.jpg

DODor6kW4AILsvf.jpg

That looks MUCH better...

7fwPZnE.png

#48 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:51 PM

Quite a unique style. Weird to see bricks in adobe shapes. And lots of glass and what looks like metal. What would the style be defined as?
  • JBB likes this

#49 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:14 PM

Eclectic?

#50 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

Really Nice! I've done a couple of Springhill suites and this does a really nice job of keeping a bit of the style and look of the typical look of a Springhill but on a much larger and grander scale, great job I think! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users