Photo
- - - - -

TXU Power Plant/Smoke Stacks

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the Smokestacks be Demolished? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the Smokestacks be Demolished?

1. Yes, they are eyesores. (20 votes [42.55%])

Percentage of vote: 42.55%

2. No, they are a historic landmark to the city. (27 votes [57.45%])

Percentage of vote: 57.45%

3. I have no opinion. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:22 PM

I agree....I think the campus could be somewhere else...Where is the parking going to be?? I have noticed all that was a parking lot infront of the Radio Shack Building is now dirt.....are they going to keep it that way and if so where are the students going to park and what about the amount of traffic the school will bring..how are they going to deal with that??

View Post

I agree too... I've never been crazy about TCC being that close to FW's newest most prime real estate. I don't mean to be an education snob, BUT we're talking about TCC - not TCU. It's basically a junior college on steroids. TWU would even be more exciting to me... But, I think the college campus - whatever school - should be on the East side of dt... like somewhere over east of the C&B building closer to 30.... If that campus was build over in that part of DT the the FW Rail Market would be a great location for something - the foot traffic in that area would be increased to the point that that end of downtown... I also can't wait for announcements to be made regarding some development along Lancaster....

CLARIFICATION: I think that TCC is a fine school if you're going to work your way through school and/or can't do the TCU thing (or other major universities) then I think TCC is a fine place to get an education. And let's face facts, at almost $500/semester hour not many can do TCU. It's just that TCC will always have the community college stigma tied to it and I'm not sure that the big impressive downtown campus will change that.

#52 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:19 PM

your totaly right about the college thing..if it was a tcu branch or anything other then tcc..not that they are a bad school...just isnt right for the area...i went there brefly after hs but got my degree in dallas...I think it will be a mess to put it where they want to...

#53 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:40 PM

And I disagree with whoever said we are copying the SA RW. Go to Gendy and take a closer look!

The whole SA river element was brought up in the Botanical Gardens meetings of the TRV, brought to you by Gideon Toal. I agree with the difference, though I was there and that is what I heard.

Nothing like the cramped RW with a five foot sidewalk...walksways are generous and lots more types of water activities.[/

Nothing like 10 million visitors/shoppers strolling about that piece of DTSA property every year. ($Chaching!$)

Or a World Champion basketball team floating along in a barge w/ a ticker tape backdrop parade of FIESTA sorts. :o GO SPURS GO!
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#54 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:26 AM

I think the riverwalk is a wonderful place and I would like to see us have something similar. I dont think our theme can be the same or similar because we are more cow town up here then anything else...The S.A.Riverwalk has a feel too it that cant be duplicated...

#55 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:09 PM

I enjoy seeing the power plant and smoke stacks when I have ridden along the bike trail from north toward downtown. The power plant and the stacks compliment each other visually, but I’m not sure how I’d feel about the power plant without the stacks. Keeping in mind that it was an actual power plant and not a school or an old warehouse, re-use of this building would have challenges like any other but I’m guessing it is going to be a especially costly to remove remaining equipment which in a facility like that could be occupy large sections of the building. What’s the immediate plan to rebuild any connection points of said attached buildings slated for demo? This could be an added expense for TXU but can they justify the cost to redesign without a set use for this building? One thing the plant has in its favor is that the surrounding site appears to be well maintained, secured with fence and doesn’t give outsiders the impression that it is urban decay.

There’s a balance between moving ahead full steam with the TRV and keeping what’s historic intact. If this plant was not so close to downtown, I’d assume most people (with some exceptions) wouldn’t feel as sentimental about the structures, but there’s no denying how close it is located to downtown and the positive visual impact it has on the skyline.

#56 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:28 PM

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.................BIG HUG..................

someone after my own heart....everything you said is exactly how i feel as well.....

I think in some way we would still care about them but the location and what they are makes the difference...they looked fine to me...im not a engineer but they are fenced, and they are vandalized.....so I dont see why they need to come down....the hard part is conviencing TCC and TXU that they need to stay..if this had been designated long ago this would not have happened under all of our noses....but alas....here we are... :blink:

#57 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:38 PM

Watching from my office, they took down the cooling towers this week, and they put up scaffolding around most of the other equipment. I guess demolishing is come along quicker than I thoughts..

#58 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:32 PM

It is coming down very fast and time is running out. I personally don't think anything will be saved. Granted, TXU did not seek permission to demolish the main building, but without protection, I'm sure it is just a matter of time before it goes away.

#59 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:04 PM

Take a picture...cause that is all we will have left.... :)

#60 njjeppson

njjeppson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:27 AM

I think they should have been more creative with the old power plant and incorporate the smokestacks into a new development. If they cleaned it up and restore it, it could make for a very interesting landmark in that area of town. I agree that some of the mechanical and little metal shacks on the property should probably go. Last summer my friend was visiting from out of town and we went cycling along the river we stopped to take photos of the power plant. He thought it was one of the coolest things in the city to take photos of. Are they demolishing everything but the main building (like the water tower as well)?

Here in London they have done some pretty cool things with the old power plants, though they are on a much larger scale. Check out these sites:

http://www.tate.org....ing/default.htm
http://www.thepowers...k/bps_site_001/

Though it's not true restoration, they incorporate the old design into new projects. Anyway, those are just my thoughts about it. Oh, and I'm 23, by the way.

#61 njjeppson

njjeppson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:51 AM

Here are a few photos that were taken of the power plant in Summer 2004 while cycling past. I love the old windows on the main buidling.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I think the smokestacks add an extra visual statement to the skyline from the North.
Posted Image

#62 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:41 AM

Maybe they could have added Cell Phone equipment on the towers ?

Dave

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#63 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:15 AM

Thanks "nj" for providing us with some fantastic images of what could be done with our smoke stacks. I only hope that some one who has the power to has the vision to see the possibilities of such a unique site along the river.

I am almost too afraid to look...Please tell me that the stacks have not been demolished as of yet.

"Keep Fort Worth folksy" and

"Welcome NJJeppson to the Forum; glad to have you aboard!"

#64 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:56 PM

I heard from a very good source that the Star-Telegram will be running an article on the smokestacks/plant demolition in Saturday's paper. As soon as I can, I will post a link to the article.

#65 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:34 AM

It looks like the article is delayed. I didn't see it in today's paper. I apologize for the false alarm. There is still a good chance the article will run in either Sunday's edition or during the week.

#66 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 04:55 PM

i hope they can be saved..everyone ive talked to about them agrees they they are part of fort worth and should stay....

#67 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:45 AM

The article finally ran in today's Fort Worth Star-Telegram. From what I know, it appears that the article is fair and accurate.

http://www.dfw.com/m...al/12300918.htm

#68 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:04 AM

Well, it sounds like the stacks are goners because TCC/TXU doesn't sound like they're willing to take the free offer. Which, to me, sort of says that maybe they're assessment of the stacks being "unsafe" might be a little biased just to get the demo permits. Just another reason for us to take necessary steps to protect the important buildings downtow. This could just as easily be about one of our gem buildings. Good thing TCC didn't want to build their campus in Sundance Square!

#69 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:29 PM

if or when they do come down, will there be a time and date set for a public viewing?

#70 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:02 PM

Well, it sounds like the stacks are goners because TCC/TXU doesn't sound like they're willing to take the free offer. Which, to me, sort of says that maybe they're assessment of the stacks being "unsafe" might be a  little biased just to get the demo permits.

View Post

Willy, you have hit the nail on the head!

DrkLts, I think the stacks will be coming down manually, brick by brick.

#71 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:22 AM

This Sunday morning about 9:00 AM I went down to the TXU site that is being demolished and took some quick digital snaps.

One of the pics shows the very heavy brick paving which apparently surrounds the old main generator building.

The old main Generator buildings have very nice windows and very nice detailing. The building is almost monumental and is of a classic industrial design. I hope they don't destroy it or ruin it.

Smoke stacks: The stack farthest north attaches to the remains of the more modern open frame generator which was added much later and IMHO is of little historical value since it does not show up in any of the old postcards or other pictures.

The main stack which is all that is remaining of the original sets is the one that should be saved IMHO. After all, the old brick stack on the City owned plant across the river has been saved and I don't think anyone would consider taking a landmark like that down unless it was destroyed by a storm, etc.

Also took one of the old Scrapyard which is to the north of the TXU site.

Scrap

The remnants of the old SSW track which shows up in many of the old maps and birdseye views still remains. As well as a switching lead off it to Houston street. I assume it will be dug out as the site is worked.

There were a number of fuel oil storage tanks and I understand that for a period the plant was also coal fired. I shudder to think about the state of the underlying soil and what has moved itself into the river and river bed over the years. Also the transformers almost certainly had PCB's in the oil filled insulation material.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#72 grow_smart

grow_smart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:08 PM

Well, it sounds like the stacks are goners because TCC/TXU doesn't sound like they're willing to take the free offer. Which, to me, sort of says that maybe they're assessment of the stacks being "unsafe" might be a  little biased just to get the demo permits.

View Post

I would wager a guess that TXU has known the smokestacks have been unsafe for quite some time now. Even though the offer to do the 3rd party structural review is free, they are probably concerned that if there is an incident - and the evidence comes out that TXU already knew they were not safe - they would likely be cutting someone a check.

#73 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:16 PM

Well, it sounds like the stacks are goners because TCC/TXU doesn't sound like they're willing to take the free offer. Which, to me, sort of says that maybe they're assessment of the stacks being "unsafe" might be a  little biased just to get the demo permits. Just another reason for us to take necessary steps to protect the important buildings downtow. This could just as easily be about one of our gem buildings. Good thing TCC didn't want to build their campus in Sundance Square!

View Post

Just more evidence to me that this TCC project is not only unnecessary but insensitive to DT; I still believed that TCC could have renovated the Landmark Tower and met the needs of the downtown employers. Surely, those on the TCC Board must have viewed or should view some of the wonderful redevelopment potential of power plants and that they can be made into an interesting tourist venue.

"Keep Fort Worth folksy!"

#74 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:14 PM

Rename, I don't think TCC could have afforded to renovate the Landmark Tower. If XTO can't make a project economically feasible for that building, no one could have.

#75 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:17 PM

After living in a place for such a long time, during the packing process I found it hard to turn loose of some things, memories, nostalgia, I really don’t know but during times of change it’s sometimes difficult to just let go. Now that I’ve moved on and am in my new urban tree house, making new memories and unpacking the old, each item I take out I have to ask myself “does this serve a purpose, artistic or practical, is it pleasant to look at, am I going to use it anytime soon, ever?” I’m finding it hard to justify holding on to things that don’t serve an immediate need or purpose and have found it much easier to let go of the past in light of what it’s making room for.

I’m sure when Fort Worth erected its first smoke stacks they were a sign of growth, prosperity, industry, of a town maturing into a city. In the decades that followed smoke stacks became a sign of decay and pollution for many cities around the country. I stand on my balcony and look at the smoke stacks quietly there, dormant; I ask myself what purpose they serve, are they pleasant to look at? They’re vertical tubes designed to elevate smoke and gasses away from city dwellings and residents, which they no longer do. Are we going to use them any time soon, ever? Is there anything unique about them? If we were discussing Roebling’s Brooklyn Bridge, even if it stood dormant, I believe its architectural significance, historical significance easily justifies its existence, preservation, hands down no questions asked, whether it’s used or not. Is there anything significant about these stacks, other than they were there during the creation of some really good memories. Perhaps it’s time to let them go, time for change, time to make room for the new, perhaps something so unique to Fort Worth that when the time comes some day in the distant future, perhaps not so distant, when someone proposes “lets make room for progress,” a unified Fort Worth voice might respond with a “not in my city!” Reminds me of a picante commercial :rolleyes: hopefully their replacement will leave some room for new memories.

#76 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:35 PM

^God help you when you get old and your children are asking themselves, "Dad is sweet and we had some good memories with him, but what purpose is he going to serve in the future. Hmmm... is he going to teach me how to tie my shoes or walk or ride a bike again, ever?" Wouldn't you rather they look at you and say "HEY! He'll make a good babysiter for my kids... or, Dad was good at rocking me to sleep when I had growing pains... maybe he can teach me how to do that for my kids". That's a heck of a lot better than, "Yep, we've gotten all the milage we can out of Dad - time for the nursing home."

Point is, just because something is no longer serving it's original purpose, it doesn't mean that it has to be torn down. Why can't they stacks be reborn as something else? Big smoke stacks like those are not common in cities in this part of the country so they could end up being much more of an icon for FW than they currently are IF they were reused in a creative way. Hey, why not turn them into bat houses.... LOL....

Also, I think that in a city like Fort Worth - one where nothing new is being built - we should be especially careful of tearing down things that have been here for a long time because, the odds of them rebuilding something iconic or even interesting on that site are not good. I might feel differently if the city was busy with new development and there were new towers going up and the skyline was changing. But, with the demolition of the Landmark and the Smoke Stakes our skyline is actually shrinking... The Landmark was once the city's tallest building and I'm sure at one point the smoke stacks were the tallest thing on the skyline as well.... I realize they're not Reunion Tower or the Space Needle, but the stacks are the closes thing FW currently has to something like that. We don't have any signature towers or anything unique about our small skyline as it is. If we tear donw the only unique things we have in our skyline then we're just Anywhere USA.

The Landmark Tower - check. The Smoke Stacks, check. The CC Space Ship is next. Looks like we're well on our way to being the "Generic mid-sized sunbelt city".

Sigh.....

#77 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:20 PM

Smoke stacks – Iconic? In Detroit maybe, but Fort Worth’s version of a Space Needle… in a Deliverance backwater frame of mind perhaps.

Just because something is old doesn’t make it something worth preserving, myself included but if you harbor some strange adoration for erect icons of industrial pollution more power to you.

I myself enjoy architecture in any form but I cannot for the life of me find anything significant about two smoke stacks. As preservation goes, pick your battles because you can't preserve everything and we’ve lost structures much more significant than a couple a stacks.

IMPO goodbye, good riddance, I’m throwing a party when they’re gone. My apologies if I hurt anyone’s feelings but that’s just my view or desire to improve upon it, lets see, that's one party for the LT implosion, one for the stacks and… I’d better get busy if I’m going to be ready in time. I'll make sure to take a picture for ya Willie.

Looks like we're well on our way to being the "Generic mid-sized sunbelt city".

As long as we're minus two icons of industrial pollution... color me happy!

#78 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:06 PM

As long as we're minus two icons of industrial pollution... color me happy!

David I thnk you kind of painted us a noir picture of Batman or Dick Tracy in Gotham City..

In reality...

There were apparently several stacks on the south of the main building before these which were removed periodically and as I noted in an earlier post with pictures on this thread, the stack to the north is fairly new.

From everything I have read, this 1910 power plant burned fuel oil (Probably Bunker C or better) and then later natural gas. Or maybe gas from the beginning. It probably followed the Texas Electric practice of being dual fuel for many years to cover natural gas shortages. Fuel oil was generally used only when natural gas was not available.

Natural gas burns very clean and there are almost no particulates produced. It is the cleanest commercial fuel available. If they were burning fuel oil, the burn would still be very clean compared to even the best anthracite hard coal and many times better than the average soft coal that was produced at Thurber or Bridgeport in the 1920's & 30's.

So while it may be fun to conjure up mind pictures of belching stacks, I would bet that the total pollution produced in one year wouldn't approach the total of what we get from the FW freeways in one week.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#79 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:15 PM

and we all need to remember that the smoke stacks are dormant. They're no longer causing any sort of air pollution.... Of course, no telling what will be released into the air when they come crashing down in a giant cloud of smoke.

View Post

LMAO! :rolleyes:

I feel for them "huggers" in Fw. The SA Alamo Quarry MarketOn the Reel preserved the old smoke stacks/shafts from the old Rock Quarry into what is now a wonderful retail/entertainment destination. The shafts were preserved in the AMC theatre for stair well support. We should at least explore the options of preservation/ incorporation for the upcoming TCC scheduled to be set for 2012? I wanna say.

It is def. historical, a landmark of sorts, and has some significance to the TXU or XTO ownership. 2 companies who def. helped shape FW. Perhaps a selfless act of a "philanthropic calling" would both allow preservation and incorporation to the TCC. Just an idea. :D

Just reread your latest post John. TOTALLY AGREE! If these steps or procedures were fought hard to enact and put into place, then they should be respected. Irregardless of the outcome. A story worth sending to TV Media outlets. Let's face it, your city's history is fading in the wind. We just might have another 7th Street Theatre on our hands here. :lol:

View Post

Again, just click on the above link and see what can be done with these 2 monuments.
www.iheartfw.com

#80 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:06 PM

No argument on the current or past pollution issue, but still, when I see a smoke stack my eyes are always drawn to the top to see what is or has bellowed out of it, to me they’re an icon of pollution. As most humans do and most marketers are aware of people’s eyes are naturally drawn to the top of them which makes for a great spot for a sign of some sorts, surprised TXU hasn’t capitalized on this… oops now it’s out there and I can see one of those but ugly yellow “We Buy Ugly Houses” plastered up there any day now.

On an architecture form it’s always easiest to error on the side of preservation as opinions go; I thought the Mayor’s remarks were very PC, something on the order of “I’m really going to miss them, but they’re falling down, possibly dangerous and ‘they’ want to remove them to make way for bigger and better things.” Now had they been strategically placed on either side of a road leading to downtown I could see them as somewhat iconic in a gateway sort of… way.

I think the reason they’re going is that no one can make a credible argument as to why they should be saved. My reasons for wanting them gone are personal and a bit selfish, I do not argue this fact but if there were a reason other than personal preference as to why they should be saved then lets hear it, I think everyone knows where I stand on the issue, but iconic or monumental… industrial smoke stacks are neither, unless of course we’re stating the obvious.

#81 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:17 PM

David, if you demand function, how about the stacks being converted into climbing towers. The handholds used in rock climbing gyms could be installed on the outside, even the inside, and the rappell from the top down the inside of the tall one would be fantastic. Do any other large cities in the US have something like this? I know the REI in downtown Denver has a climbing wall in a historic converted warehouse, but I think this idea trumps that!

AAAAAHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

#82 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:08 PM

I want to see the stacks saved for the sole purpose of putting neon letters of some sort on them. They could spell out "TCC" or something like that...I think that would be a pretty iconic symbol. Also check out this pic I took of the western part of DT:

Posted Image

They really do add something to that part of the skyline, I can't quite put my finger on it, but they're almost as tall as Pier 1! All of the renderings of Trinity Uptown I've seen emphasize the stacks' presence on "Town Lake", so I see no reason to deviate from that plan.

#83 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:14 AM

David, I couldn't agree with you more - if they were going to replace the stacks with something bigger and better - like a landmark building - then I'd be at the front of the line yelling "gang way". But, they're not... they're building a glorified junior college campus there. I'm also a little concerned that the TCC campus is going to be sitting smack in the middle of what is suppossed to be the most significant development in the history of the city.... if they were building part of a major university - like TCU - or at least a school that would someday be considered for the home of a new presidential library or something maybe. But they're building what used to be Tarrant County Junior College. Not slamming TCC here, just stating facts that it's not exactly Harvard. In fact, TCJC used to be called Harvard on the Highway... So what does that make TCC - M.I.T on the TRINITY?

The pollution argument is the weakest reason I've ever heard to tear something down. If these stacks were still vomitting forth clouds of hazardous materials I could understand it. But, these stacks have been dormant for years and years. You experience more pollution going to grab a beer at Riskey's downtown from all the second hand smoke than the stacks probably ever spit out. Now, there is something that I think Dallas did right - banning smoking in all public restaurants, etc. I wish FW would jump on that ban wagon. Peter Jennings and Miss Ellie have both died this week as a result of smoking and now Dana Reeves, Christopher's widow, has been diagnosed with lung cancer and she never smoked. They say that 175,000 people are diagnosed with lung cancer every year, and of those 175K, 163,000 of them will died. By the way people talk about the TXU Stacks you would think they were built by Philip Morris.

I like the idea of them becoming neon signs for the city. We're losing the Tandy Center lights that spell out "Fort Worth" and "Radio Shack"... Why not put big neon "Fort" on one, and "Worth" on the other.... then turn the building at the base of them into a restaurant or a bar overlooking what will someday be a town lake. I also like the idea of turning them into a climbing wall. You just can't convince me that they're that unsafe if TCC won't accept an free independent study of the structures... that just smells fishy to me.

#84 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:02 AM

Other old or abandoned power plants around the country have been converted into other uses and have been able to keep their smoke stacks intact. My whole problem with the demolition on the site is that the proper processes to determine if the stacks and other parts of the plant could stay have not been done. All that has been said is that they are unsafe, yet no one has offered the studies that were done to be reviewed by any 3rd parties. If an independent structural analysis were done, it may very well reveal that the stacks are unsound and should come down. On the other hand, it might reveal that they are relatively safe and could be repaired at a much cheaper cost than demolition. I just think the proper process should be followed in making these determinations. Where this all leads back is that too few of our city landmarks are not protected by any preservation laws and they can be demolished as soon as a demolition permit is granted by the city.

#85 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:57 AM

I totally agree with following proper processes before allowing demolition, this should hold true for the eradication of anything within a downtown area that “everyone” shares, not a tree hugger but they should fall into this category too, when it has to nearly go to a committee before you can plant one but anyone walking down the street can take one out on a whim is a bit disturbing but that’s a whole other issue. I believe a number of large structures remain intact simply because it’s cheaper to leave them than demolish them and you can’t build a billboard that size in any city.

I’ve considered the neon angle but feared it would be used for something that would detract from Fort Worth. If “anything” is plastered up there it should be Fort Worth or Sundance, Stockyards, Cow Town, etc… and in a manner that improves downtown; corporate advertising of any kind should not be allowed and that includes any scholastic entity with anything less than national graduate level accreditation.

On the pollution note: Not saying that they are adding to the disturbing number of ozone action days, not anymore anyway. I don’t see anyone volunteering to vent one of those puppies in their back yard or neighborhood, as power plants go I generally see communities banding together ranting “not in my backyard.” With that in mind, I find it odd that something that can rally a community to protest its construction can be considered an icon to preserve.

Hang some neon on it though and I guess it could be considered art or something, perhaps evolve into a city icon; would make a good advertising venue for the city, I'm just amazed they've not considered that angle before but I guess they're too busy creating red tape and dodging bullets to worry about silly stuff like preservation or image.

#86 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:45 PM

I think neon is a great idea..kinda like the west end in Dallas..it marks an area...I think they would look cool...and certianly would be noticed!!

#87 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:25 AM

just a late idea for the stacks, got it from a paragraph in the atricle Kip posted.

Here's something I just sent to the Startlegram . . .

To the Editor:

According to the Trinity Uptown Plan, “the TXU Power Plant site will anchor this area both physically and programmatically with a diverse mix of uses that attract people to the river. Many of the existing structures will be adapted to accommodate these uses. Ideally, the Power Plant stacks will be retained as landmark structures within the mid-rise development.  Docks are located here to facilitate the launching and landing of small watercraft.”

View Post

They could of kept one at least and turned it into a non-functioning (or functioning if possible) mini-lighthouse to go with the theme of launching/landing watercraft. Now that would of been a cool re-use for one or both stacks

View Post

#88 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:32 AM

I want to see the stacks saved for the sole purpose of putting neon letters of some sort on them.  They could spell out "TCC" or something like that...I think that would be a pretty iconic symbol.  Also check out this pic I took of the western part of DT:

Posted Image

They really do add something to that part of the skyline, I can't quite put my finger on it, but they're almost as tall as Pier 1!  All of the renderings of Trinity Uptown I've seen emphasize the stacks' presence on "Town Lake", so I see no reason to deviate from that plan.

View Post

I agree with everyone so far about how they add to the skyline, but to me downtown so small, that its kinda sad that we need to have them around to "add to the height" lol dang, they are as tall as Pier1! Ya gotta remember tho, its not suprising since even the tallest building in FW is only 7ft taller than Reunion Tower in Dallas! :wink:

#89 austlar

austlar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:26 AM

Now I know this is a stretch, but for all of you who want to tear down the TXU stacks, take a look at the Battersea Powerplant complex in London, which is being converted into a huge shopping and entertainment complex. Those are some fine looking stacks, if I do say so. And then, also in London, there is the Tate Modern Museum complex housed in the former Bankside Power Station. The single stack of this building is really more like a huge and gorgeous chimney, and it remains in all it's glory.

Meanwhile, down here in Austin the Seaholm Power Plant adjacent to downtown is slated for adaptive reuse, and it appears that developers are chomping at the bit to incorporate the existing structure into something exciting and new. Those stacks in Fort Worth are dynamic. Growing up in FW I used to drive out with my father to see the FW Cats play baseball and was always thrilled to ride along the N. Main St. bridge past the stacks and the big arched windows of the building housing the dynamos. Fort Worth used to literally run off the power generated in that complex, and you could feel it as you drove past. It is disgusting to think that FW might be so careless with it's history.,

#90 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:53 PM

If the city can’t economically integrate them into something positive for the city then… I think everyone knows where I stand: ( Picture ) If they can't keep them then they should be required to significantly improve the spot, perhaps a 50+ Story Residential / Multi Use Structure

#91 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:26 PM

I think neon is a great idea..kinda like the west end in Dallas..it marks an area...I think they would look cool...and certianly would be noticed!!

View Post

Me Too!!
FORT WORTH in Neon lights!! Wow what a great landmark.

"Keep Fort Worth folksy!"

#92 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:54 PM

ME THREE! Gooooo COURTNIE! <_<
www.iheartfw.com

#93 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:06 PM

A TXU Power Plant Implosion was planned for Sunday, but has been delayed. This has caught me by surprise. With their close proximity to the main building, I never would have thought the smoke stacks would have been imploded.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram Article:
http://www.dfw.com/m...al/12476691.htm

#94 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:11 PM

Well, if there is a bright side, it's that there don't seem to be any plans (yet) to demolish the main building. It's a stunning piece of architecture and would be more of a loss than the smokestacks. By all means though, I would much rather see both structures remain than just the main building itself.

#95 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:09 AM

Looks like I’m going to have to buy a good camcorder sooner than I had planned.

#96 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:32 AM

Yes, I too read in todays 26Aug05 Fort Worth Startlegram Section B that Sundays implosion was rescheduled.

Would be interesting to get a BEFORE, DURING and AFTER picture series.

Dave

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#97 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:49 PM

I would like to be close to witness this..how sad really...but hey..what can one person do right..or even a small group of people...Maybe they will make their campus really beautiful...that could make up a bit for them beind demolished..

#98 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:59 PM

Implosion party at David's place!
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#99 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:16 PM

Sounds good to me !!

Maybe David Love might consider this !!! Everyone come wearing a smoke stack party hat !

What is the rescheduled date for implosion ??

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#100 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 06:42 AM

The rescheduled date for the implosion is Sunday, September 4, 2005. That's tomorrow, everyone! The Fort Worth Star-Telegram did not indicate a time. I am assuming that it will be in the morning and proabably fairly early.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users