• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#51 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

I've been shocked how long this construction project has been going on. The blue fence went up a week before my wedding at the end of October 2010. (Back when the Rangers could still play ball.) This was an issue at the time of our reception at the FWCAC that required a bit of creative photography.

Driving by the addition I've been pleased to see the trees that have been planted along the Lancaster inside the fence- they are huge! Definitely didn't skimp on the replacements!

Speaking of replacement, I had to laugh at the article when it mentioned the frisbee on the lawn. I'm quite sure that frisbee and all other forms of recreation will be quite prohibited on that lawn. The Kimbell people said when they chose to dig up that west lawn that they would convert another existing parking lot into green space for the frisbee folks once the expansion is complete. I sure hope people remember this promise and hold them to it!

#52 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Exciting times in Fort Worth. We've got 3 major projects all wrapping up and November openings. Sundance, Kimbell, and the 7th Street Bridge.

#53 Tacoma

Tacoma

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

I've been walking my dogs past this site most nights for the past three years with great anticipation.  The other night, the entire fence was down, though a security guard kept us off the grass, and the big reveal was a big disappointment.  Maybe once the doors are opened and all the construction equipment is gone things will change, but right now it seems a bit dull.  You could probably say the exact same thing about the outside of the Kimbell with its solid walls and non-descript non-entrance entrance.  I've read the articles about how the Piano extension isn't supposed to upstage the Kimbell and its supposed to be a complement, but it looks like a non-bricked Kohls from the Kimbell side. 

That being said, the landscaping looks great.  The hill on the south side will be great for sledding if we get some snow.

#54 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

I think Piano's building is astounding.
Elegant, refined.
It doesn't compete with the Kahn bldg, but complements it.

#55 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

Speaking of replacement, I had to laugh at the article when it mentioned the frisbee on the lawn. I'm quite sure that frisbee and all other forms of recreation will be quite prohibited on that lawn. The Kimbell people said when they chose to dig up that west lawn that they would convert another existing parking lot into green space for the frisbee folks once the expansion is complete. I sure hope people remember this promise and hold them to it!

My bet is that they will have amnesia given the price of property in the area...

#56 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

I've been walking my dogs past this site most nights for the past three years with great anticipation.  The other night, the entire fence was down, though a security guard kept us off the grass, and the big reveal was a big disappointment.  Maybe once the doors are opened and all the construction equipment is gone things will change, but right now it seems a bit dull.  You could probably say the exact same thing about the outside of the Kimbell with its solid walls and non-descript non-entrance entrance.  I've read the articles about how the Piano extension isn't supposed to upstage the Kimbell and its supposed to be a complement, but it looks like a non-bricked Kohls from the Kimbell side. 

That being said, the landscaping looks great.  The hill on the south side will be great for sledding if we get some snow.

Hopefully it's looks will ripen.  However, even after the construction equipment was removed, the Science & History museum still looks blah...

#57 dfwerdoc

dfwerdoc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:hockey, cars, architecture, photography, everything and anything apple, medicine.

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:52 PM

Hopefully it's looks will ripen.  However, even after the construction equipment was removed, the Science & History museum still looks blah...

get up close and touch the concrete ... you'll change your mind. i agree the landscaping looks great; i really like the allee elms

9891012506_966a6885b3_c.jpg

#58 Tacoma

Tacoma

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

I made it by last night and most of the equipment inside and out was gone.  Plus it was completely lit up.  A few new thoughts occurred.

I like the building more now that I can see what's going on inside.  It looks incredibly light and airy for a giant concrete structure, with the open windows on each end and the unique ceiling.  Also, you can see completely through from one side to the other which is nice.

The long steps off Camp Bowie up to the Kimbell entrance are all torn up, but the gate was gone last night so I got a view from the Kimbell.  It looks much better than I thought from my view just off the street.

#59 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

Drove by last night and it looks great to me.

@Tacoma, the S-T, just like KTVT and KXAS, couldn't give a rat's a$$ about what goes on in Funkytown. 

#60 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

I drove by on Thursday night, and it really looked good from the Lancaster side. 

#61 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

I do not like the giant concrete wall that seems to be the project's sole interaction with the street on its back side (Will Rogers Road, I guess), but otherwise it looks quite nice, from what I can see.

--

Kara B.

#62 Tacoma

Tacoma

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

I do not like the giant concrete wall that seems to be the project's sole interaction with the street on its back side (Will Rogers Road, I guess), but otherwise it looks quite nice, from what I can see.

When I saw that wall, all I could think was, Fort Worthology is not going to like this....

#63 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

The Renzo Piano Pavilion is unveiled at the Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth, Texas

http://www.wallpaper...vfcH0IXDacW8.99

Photography: Robert Polidori

01_Kimbell_Art_Museum.jpg

02_Kimbell_Art_Museum.jpg

07_Kimbell_Art_Museum.jpg

05_Kimbell_Art_Museum.jpg

06_Kimbell_Art_Museum.jpg

03_Kimbell_Art_Museum.jpg

08_Kimbell_Art_Museum.jpg

09_Kimbell_Art_Museum.jpg

11_Kimbell_Art_Museum.jpg

12_Kimbell_Art_Museum.jpg

14_Kimbell_Art_Museum.jpg

13_Kimbell_Art_Museum.jpg

#64 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

Wow.

#65 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:17 AM

Looking forward to a visit there, hopefully in the next year.  Last Sunday I saw part of an excellent KERA TV special on the history of the Kimbell, not sure if it was a rerun.

#66 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

Looks great in pictures.  Can't wait to see it in person.

#67 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

I went by this morning and took some photos of the place.  If I can find bandwidth tonight, I'll post 'em.

#68 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

Looking forward to a visit there, hopefully in the next year.  Last Sunday I saw part of an excellent KERA TV special on the history of the Kimbell, not sure if it was a rerun.

There's three parts to that special on Kimbell: Year One, Year Ten and Year 40 with some really great interviews ….Mrs. Kimbell, 1st Director Richard F. Brown, Louis Kahn, Renzo Piano, Ted Pillsbury, Eric M. Lee and several others. They spend a lot of time on the architecture of the Kahn Building and discuss the Piano Pavilion as well as feature several pieces of artwork and the new technology they use to understand the artists' process of creating an original painting.  Very interesting stuff.

#69 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

Here are a couple of the photos that I shot:

10865152994_419992a003_z.jpg
DSC_4363 by dangr.dave, on Flickr

10865336223_f71fc9cd6d_z.jpg
The Kimbell's Renzo Piano Addition 4 by dangr.dave, on Flickr

10865034096_f2a0055620_z.jpg
The Kimbell's Renzo Piano Addition 3 by dangr.dave, on Flickr

10865030696_e2d09368ea_z.jpg
The Kimbell's Renzo Piano Addition 2 by dangr.dave, on Flickr

10865028026_cde94d891f_z.jpg
The Kimbell's Renzo Piano Addition 1 by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#70 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

Hope that "glass ceiling" is hail-proof.

Renzo Piano speaks in Fort Worth November 19. Tickets available at kimbellart.org

Link to event info

The waiting line outside the event for the free, non-member tickets might be a good place and time for another Forum get-together.

#71 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:43 PM

Those are great photos posted by Nitixope.  Also, Dave's are great.  I have been intending to go by to take pictures, but I was tied up with the Texas Architects Convention.  Thanks to both of you for sharing the photographs.

#72 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

Here are some new photos that I took of the Kimbell's Renzo Piano addition today:

10937661194_133ff20f2e_z.jpg
Little house on the prairie by dangr.dave, on Flickr

10937658104_a4585704be_z.jpg
Behind the scenes by dangr.dave, on Flickr

10937778703_04fa2b524c_z.jpg
Leading lady by dangr.dave, on Flickr

10937775073_bd41903b75_z.jpg
Reaching the glass ceiling by dangr.dave, on Flickr

10937647384_c0f5221087_z.jpg
The gulf that lies between you and me by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#73 Tacoma

Tacoma

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

Has anybody noticed (or thought) that the entrance to the Piano building mimics the rear entrance to the Kahn building?  The main entrance is set into the building, with a large blank wall to either side.  I wonder if that was an intentional nod to the entrance everybody knows and uses or if it was a mere coincidence.

#74 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for the pics!

The did a nice job, it looks very museum-y.

#75 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

Last night at 7 pm there was a free interview with Renzo Piano at the WRMC Auditorium hosted by KERA Art and Seek. It lasted about an hour, and included questions from Jerome Weeks and about 5 written questions from the audience. A few observations:

Piano is a rather soft spoken guy, and with his heavy Italian accent it was pretty tough to hear.

The signature photo that was displayed throughout the interview time interestingly enough was of the auditorium/music hall of the new Piano Pavilion.

When asked what he thought of the new Pavilion, Piano said it was fine. He said building need time to mature and be loved. The trees need to grow bigger. People need to play frisbee on the lawn (he actually said that). The building must develop a patina.

The final question of the night was whether the roof was hailproof. He didn't seem to understand the question at first, but then answered yes. Part of the fancy roof louvers are photovolaic cells. Tough to see those standing up to the inevitable baseball size hail. We shall see.

After the hour long presentation, we walked across the street and walked the exterior of the new building, then across to the old building. The concrete of the new building must be touched to be appreciated. Piano said it is "sexy" and boy is he right. There is a lot of cleanup still to do around the grounds before the dedication next Wednesday, especially around the Kahn building- I hope they get it done!

#76 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

I also attended the talk the other night, and was among a few other forum members I saw there. Just a couple of additional comments:

Will Rogers Auditorium was an excellent venue to host a conversation with a noted architect. I always forget what a fine space it is, very understated Art Moderne design, with a lot of potential when it comes time for renovations. I had no problem hearing Piano's comments. The acoustics were fine from my vantage and the audience was very respectful and quiet so it was easy to concentrate on listening, even with the maestro's full Italian accent. 

Jerome Weeks was a perfect interviewer. His questions were brief and he was perfectly willing to let Piano answer fully without interruptions. 

I was impressed by the number of people who attended on a Tuesday evening. The floor of the hall was nearly full, I couldn't tell how much of the balcony was taken up. At capacity it holds 2856 patrons. 

#77 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

I wanted to attend, but I have a lot going on right now on the personal side.  It's nothing major, but it is time consuming.

#78 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

Star-Telegram's take on new Piano Pavilion: Cramping at Kimbell relieved:

http://www.star-tele...-beautiful.html

#79 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:43 PM

S-T editorial: Piano Pavilion is not an addition, it is a companion...

http://www.star-tele...w-pavilion.html

#80 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:24 AM

Love all the love it is getting. Still have not been in but been around the outside and it's amazing. 

Speaking of ST, Here's a great interactive feature they on the museum. Everyone defintalty needs to check it out. 

#81 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

A few pics from my visit:

0c766eb8-8a8b-4bde-b948-c4d43c2788f5_zps

On the grassy roof:

IMG_2147_zpsc897f808.jpg

IMG_2145_zps19f68a1c.jpg

#82 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

I really like your first shot.

#83 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

I really like your first shot.

Thanks, John.  I had a great time in Fort Worth on my last visit.  So much to see and photograph.  The latest three big projects completed - the Piano Pavilion, Sundance Square, and the 7th Street bridge - are transformative for Fort Worth in my opinion.  Like my grandmother used to say "they are just grand."  Have a happy Thanksgiving.

#84 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

Stopped in today at their grand opening and spent about 10-15 minutes running through the place snapping photos and eating flourecent red cookies.  Here are five shots of the new Piano Pavilion:

11090636566_421fd927ba_z.jpg
DSC_5042 by dangr.dave, on Flickr

11090638646_c83e0cd440_z.jpg
Wave for the camera by dangr.dave, on Flickr

11090652554_bc74aec9a3_z.jpg
It's not nice to stare by dangr.dave, on Flickr

11090654424_abfed00ab8_z.jpg
Piano Man by dangr.dave, on Flickr

11090763193_402221ce42_z.jpg
Any seat you want by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#85 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

dangr.dave:  superb pics!  How did you do the wavy thing?  Can't wait to see the inside of the Piano Wing.  BTW, flourescent red cookies have not been approved by the FDA.  :o 

#86 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

I didn't think the flourescent cookies would be too good for me, Ramjet.  Thanks for appreciating my photos.  Here's another one:

11095203444_9519679cce_z.jpg
DSC_5006 by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#87 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

Interesting report on the technology in the Renzo Piano Pavilion - from Al Jazeera America no less...

http://america.aljaz...chitecture.html

#88 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

That was an excellent short topic that explained in easy to understand language several subtleties about the building I had not gathered before. Al Jazeera America is working hard to cultivate an image of quality news, and has even been sponsoring programming on NPR to get the word out.

#89 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

Finally got to visit the inside over the holidays.  I am not trained in architecture, but I know what I like.  For me, Mr. Piano's Pavilion is beautiful, and very special.  The wood floors, the concrete walls, the light from the roof and two ends, and then the art!  I had never appreciated the Kimbell's collection of Asian sculptures and tapestries until viewing them in the new building.  And the Fort Worthian docents.  So incredibly friendly and proud of the new museum building.  It was fun chatting with several of them.  Looking forward to the exhibit coming in 2014 of masters from the Musee D'Orsey in Paris.  You folks are very fortunate to have this place in your backyard.

#90 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

It's been interesting to read the architecture reviews of the new Piano Pavilion.  They have definitely been mixed.  From downright derision from the Philadelphia Enquirer (Kahn's home, not surprised), to the Wall Street Journal's shoulder shrug, to the NYT Book Review Blog and Dallas Morning News' damning with faint praise (not surprised about the DMN), to glowing from the Washington Post, American Institute of Architects, Star-Telegram (not surprised) and now the Boston Globe.  I'm sure I'm missing many more of various opinions.  Here's the Globe's take.  It's especially complementary of Fort Worth's entire offering of art museums:

http://www.bostonglo...hhGM/story.html

Still waiting for the review by the New York Times.

#91 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:03 AM

KERA, public television, has been running some ads about the Kimbell lately featuring works of Matisse and Rembrandt as a way of enticing us ordinary people to visit the newly expanded museum.  Nicely done ads. 

#92 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

I saw billboards for the new Piano wing in Oklahoma City.

#93 FWFD1247

FWFD1247

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

I saw some around downtown Austin too

16atmjd.jpg

#94 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

They are in downtown Dallas as well

#95 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

I saw one in Houston a couple of weeks back.

#96 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

From Los Angeles:

http://culturespotla...ion-auditorium/

Fort Worth continues to show why it is a cultural gem. By providing another venue for the Cliburn, the Renzo Piano Pavilion auditorium is an important contribution to the classical music scene. And the combination of world-class art and world-class music makes the Kimbell a prime cultural destination.

—Henry Schlinger, Culture Spot LA

#97 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:37 PM

The article is a month old but worth mentioning I guess, the Kimbell demolished the old Darnell Auditorium. 

https://www.kimbella...october-19-2015

#98 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:19 PM

The Kimbell Museum should consider a two level underground garage and an at-grade sculpture garden.

Edit: maybe a collaboration between the three major museums for a sculpture garden on the site would result in a more substantial facility. I did not mean to infer that the existing Kimbell garden was anything less than exemplary, just that a larger one would be very cool.

#99 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:24 PM

An expansion of the existing garden would be great. Better than parking.

#100 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:54 AM

Sounds like there's at least something lined up to make the lot a bit nicer, anyway.

An existing parking lot is to be improved to include new paving, seating, lighting, shade structures, a water feature, retaining wall and plantings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users