54 replies to this topic

#1 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

It's been discussed elsewhere, but it's probably worthy of its own topic. The school made it official today:

https://txwes.edu/ne..._announcement_1

No mention of the possible stadium partnership with the soccer team or where they might play in the meantime. They have a good amount of time to figure that out.

#2 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:56 PM

It's been discussed elsewhere, but it's probably worthy of its own topic. The school made it official today:

https://txwes.edu/ne..._announcement_1

No mention of the possible stadium partnership with the soccer team or where they might play in the meantime. They have a good amount of time to figure that out.

Bringing back? 

I didn't even know they ever had football. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:01 PM

I didn't either, but that's what the article says.

#4 qmcgown

qmcgown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:13 PM

A Little history. Texas Wesleyan began as Polytechnic College in 1890. Football was part of the school's athletic program until the campus became an all women's school, Texas Woman's College, in the 1913-14 academic year. When the school went co-ed again in 1934, football came back and lasted until the opening of World War 2, when most of the men headed into the service. At war's end, the school debated bringing football back, but opted, instead, to focus on basketball, a program that took Wesleyan to national prominence through the 40's and 50's.

The original Polytechnic colors were black and red, and the mascot a parrot, all adopted by the local high school after the program disbanded in 1913. The 1934-35 team was basically recruited en masse from Weatherford college along with their head coach. The student body chose the ram as the new mascot.

The university has toyed with the return of football many times since the war. I'll miss being able to say that Wesleyan hasn't lost a game since 1942.

#5 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:49 PM

Football helps make college fun.

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:43 PM

......No mention of the possible stadium partnership with the soccer team or where they might play in the meantime. They have a good amount of time to figure that out.

The college, the city,  the ISD and the soccer team should all be signing a letter of commitment to build a stadium project for an area of the city that needs more than any other area a boost in confidence.

#7 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

......No mention of the possible stadium partnership with the soccer team or where they might play in the meantime. They have a good amount of time to figure that out.

The college, the city,  the ISD and the soccer team should all be signing a letter of commitment to build a stadium project for an area of the city that needs more than any other area a boost in confidence.

I'd be all for that. I'd also like to see TCC start an athletic program (doesn't have to be football).

#8 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

Will UTA ever bring back football???  When I went to UTA it just seemed like 13th grade and most people I knew commuted.  The majority of the students that lived on campus just did not seem to be into football.  Just imagine TCU football, UTA football, TWU football and the Cowboys all in one county.  Well, the first three would be football teams anyway.  LOL!   

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

UTA seems to be rather anti football actually. I don't see it returning soon, most students seem to want the school to focus on academics. 

#10 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:10 PM

I rode by TWU campus on Wednesday. It's the first time I've been by there since they finished the tower and stuff. Rosedale is largely finished, but I hope they plan to finish the landscaping; it's still pretty rough.

Anyway, I passed the area where the new stadium is supposed to go per the pics above. It would substantially increase the size of the Wesleyan Bubble.
My blog: Doohickie

#11 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:13 AM

The Ticket's morning show set up their broadcast at TWU this morning and spent a good amount of time promoting the return of football. TCU's recent success has proven that even people outside of the university's direct community will get behind a hometown team. I'm excited to see the school get their program up and running.

As an aside, The Ticket's morning show has done a weeklong tour of broadcasts at local universities over the last couple of summers and they have opted to go to TWU instead of TCU. TCU would not let them broadcast from a public area around students and planned to place them in a non-public area.

#12 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:22 AM

Former TCU defensive back Quincy Butler has joined the coaching staff at Wesleyan.

#13 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:36 PM

I saw someone in Albertson's last week in a TWU Football T-shirt.  He said they would be playing this year but it would be essentially just an exhibition season.  They play for real next year.

#14 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:34 AM

http://www.star-tele...e103307897.html

ST article discussing partnership between The school and ISD to share stadium. The article doesn't mention is the Vaquero's would be involved.

#15 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:42 AM

This makes sense. They ran a story a few weeks ago about the need for a new stadium for the school district because they are almost maxed out on the number of games they can hold in any given week.

#16 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:20 PM

They will play at Farrington.

http://www.star-tele...ink=latest_side

#17 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:33 PM

Excellent decision.  Makes sense for both FWISD and TWU.

I have been perplexed by the way that FWISD has allowed this prominently located property to be used solely for public school events; while all along, missing out on bonanza of new revenues.

FWISD should take as its model, Frisco ISD,  where they have integrated both professional and preparatory events in the same venue. 

#18 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:20 PM

Also, although a bit off topic, TWU won the NAIA national championship in men's basketball this past weekend.

#19 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:12 PM

Still pursuing an on campus stadium

https://www.star-tel...qpq4yakcPFyuPIU

#20 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 11:01 PM

WRA Architects have several renderings of a proposed stadium.

The new Master Plan for a 5,500-6,000 seat stadium has been created to reenergize the program with hopes to garner fundraising efforts for the new project. The Master plan includes an elevated press box, concessions, ticket booths, public restrooms, field house, and competition track. 

Texas+Wesleyan+4.jpg

3.jpg

#21 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 01:37 PM

I was just wondering about this yesterday when I rode my bike by the university.  I noticed the car wash and though.... isn't that where that stadium was supposed to go?

This is what the area looks like now.

#22 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 05 September 2020 - 02:17 PM

That would be a great place to watch a Vaqueros FC game.

#23 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 12:33 PM

WRA Architects have several renderings of a proposed stadium.

The new Master Plan for a 5,500-6,000 seat stadium has been created to reenergize the program with hopes to garner fundraising efforts for the new project. The Master plan includes an elevated press box, concessions, ticket booths, public restrooms, field house, and competition track. 

Texas+Wesleyan+4.jpg

3.jpg

I don't like that pressbox inset. 

7fwPZnE.png

#24 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 12:44 PM

More details announced by the school

https://txwes.edu/ne...m/#.YZAHUSVOIlR

#25 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 15 November 2021 - 04:34 PM

That visitors section looks like an afterthought.  Seems hardly adequate for anything other than a TWU football game.

It also will generate a revenue stream to sustain our athletic programs through usage fees from outside organizations.

TWU-Stadium_News-Image.jpg

#26 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 04:46 PM

That visitors section looks like an afterthought.  Seems hardly adequate for anything other than a TWU football game.

It also will generate a revenue stream to sustain our athletic programs through usage fees from outside organizations.

Well it is an NAIA school with less than 5,000 students, so I wouldn't expect a massive stadium or anything. 

7fwPZnE.png

#27 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 04:53 PM

I was thinking more about uses by outside organizations.  How do they figure who gets the home section and who gets the 150 seats in the visitor's section if they had two local high schools playing there or even some other type of event?

#28 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 07:53 PM

I was thinking more about uses by outside organizations.  How do they figure who gets the home section and who gets the 150 seats in the visitor's section if they had two local high schools playing there or even some other type of event?

Well, I figure they're not really thinking about that since there's not much room there to do anything else... unless they want to demolish some homes and I know that would be a major issue.

7fwPZnE.png

#29 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 01:01 PM

https://accela.fortw...ShowInspection=

Record DS-22-0035: 
Drainage Study
Record Status: Awaiting Client Reply

Record Details
Applicant:
David Pitcher
KFM Engineering and Design
3501 Olympus Blvd, Suite 100
Dallas, TX, 75019

Licensed Professional:
David Pitcher
KFM Engineering and Design
KFM Engineering
3501 Olympus Blvd, Suite 100
Dallas, TX, 75019

Project Description:
Texas Wesleyan University Athletic Complex Ph1
Drainage improvements

Owner:
Texas Wesleyan University
1201 Wesleyan University
Fort Worth TX 75019

DRAINAGE PROJECT INFO
Total Plat or Project Area (Acres):4.86
Land Disturbance Area (Acres): 4.86

#30 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 09:01 AM

Well, I figure they're not really thinking about that since there's not much room there to do anything else... unless they want to demolish some homes and I know that would be a major issue.

The planners seem to have used a shoehorn to fit a football stadium on that plot of land.

#31 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 09:25 AM

I hear TWU has a really good table tennis program.

#32 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 09:41 AM

I hear TWU has a really good table tennis program.

Every year since 2004 once of their teams has been national champs... 

http://www.nctta.org...ional-champions

#33 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 12:51 PM

The planners seem to have used a shoehorn to fit a football stadium on that plot of land.

Because it's a Div. II school, the stadium doesn't have to be big or anything, so that's the only thing making the "cramped" nature of this plan acceptable. 

7fwPZnE.png

#34 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 04:39 PM

Groundbreaking is May 3. Fort Worth Report,
Revived Texas Wesleyan football program looks to score big with new stadium

#35 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 21 April 2022 - 07:16 AM

This is good news!  With this new stadium, could Wesleyan go to a higher competitive league?  Beyond Division II?

#36 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 02:18 PM

This is good news!  With this new stadium, could Wesleyan go to a higher competitive league?  Beyond Division II?

If they got at a minimum an extra $10 million or so lying around they could try to go to the Div II level. But they couldn't possible be competitive at a higher level as millions of cash is due every year to sustain and fund those 36 scholarships versus the 24 scholarships for NAIA level.

So in other words, it will never happen.

#37 WTXKid

WTXKid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 05:35 AM

Can we not use the phrase it will never happen? The school just started the journey of building a multimillion dollar stadium. I think competing at a higher level is definitely the future for TWU. So Im just going to go the opposite direction here and say theyll be in the Big 12 by 2050. Lol. Hopefully.

#38 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 11:06 AM

Can we not use the phrase it will never happen? The school just started the journey of building a multimillion dollar stadium. I think competing at a higher level is definitely the future for TWU. So Im just going to go the opposite direction here and say theyll be in the Big 12 by 2050. Lol. Hopefully.

One can hope but Wesleyan would have to transform into a institution that it is not today or has ever been historically with its $58 million endowment. 

#39 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:03 AM

Groundbreaking today at 4.

#40 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 12:38 PM

Record UFC22-0148
Urban Forestry
Record Status: Pending

Project Description:
Texas Wesleyan University Athletic Complex Ph1
Urban Forestry Plan for Texas Wesleyan University Polytechnic Heights Addition Lot 1-R, Block 14-R

Groundbreaking Ceremony:

#41 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 03 June 2022 - 12:08 PM

This new athletic complex may generate economic development in that east Rosedale area, which has been underdeveloped for many years.

#42 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:25 AM

Grading permit filed for the athletic complex:

Record CG22-00184: 
Commercial Grading Permit
Record Status: Plan Review

#43 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 09:21 PM

It looks liked this was undergoing site prep and the road is being torn up.

#44 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 10:31 AM

Record ZC-23-093: 
Zoning Change
Record Status: Applied

Project Description:
Texas Wesleyan University
Rezoning property from MU-1 to CF for TWU Texas Wesleyan University Field House

Acres: 0.29

#45 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 11:07 AM

Looks almost ready to go.
7JVsVmy.jpg

6MNAZ2B.jpg

4BkGNG5.jpg

#46 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 22 January 2024 - 11:34 AM

Most of the field is located on the block where the second Polytechnic High School/Polytechnic Elementary stood.  It was Polytechnic High School from 1923 until 1938.  After that it was the Polytechnic Elementary School.  According to historicaerials.com, it was demolished in the 1970s.

#47 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 11:35 AM

Cool shots Austin55!  If you come to watch a game, bring your own folding chair?

#48 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 12:12 PM

Are the stands still in the plans or has that been quashed.

#49 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 12:28 PM

Stands and field house still TBD?

#50 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 01:19 PM

Stands and field house still TBD?

Supply and demand issues?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users