#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:35 AM

The Fort Worth Zoo is planning to build a new herpetarium on the site of the old aquarium. According to the article, the old herpetarium is the only exhibit that has not been improved or rebuilt since the Fort Worth Zoological Association took over the operations of the zoo in 1991.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram article:
http://www.dfw.com/m...al/16237696.htm

#2 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Dec 14 2006, 07:35 AM) View Post

The Fort Worth Zoo is planning to build a new herpetarium on the site of the old aquarium. According to the article, the old herpetarium is the only exhibit that has not been improved or rebuilt since the Fort Worth Zoological Association took over the operations of the zoo in 1991.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram article:
http://www.dfw.com/m...al/16237696.htm

I wish FW had a great Aquarium like the Dallas World Aquarium - that place rocks!

#3 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:54 PM

I love the displays of the Dallas World Aquarium, but the species information was lacking last time I was there.

I really miss the huge freshwater tank at the Fort Worth Zoo.

The new herp building sounds like it will be nice.

Erik France

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(pelligrini @ Dec 14 2006, 12:54 PM) View Post

the species information was lacking last time I was there.

That must be a new trend for aquarium exhibits. I went to the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta last month and I couldn't help but notice that there were very few identification graphics for the exhibits.

#5 Dallastar

Dallastar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE(JBB @ Dec 14 2006, 12:59 PM) View Post

That must be a new trend for aquarium exhibits. I went to the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta last month and I couldn't help but notice that there were very few identification graphics for the exhibits.

I love the aquarium in Dallas (the last time I was there it was before the expansion) But I heard that the aquarium in Atlanta is awesome!

#6 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE(Dallastar @ Dec 14 2006, 03:11 PM) View Post

QUOTE(JBB @ Dec 14 2006, 12:59 PM) View Post

I love the aquarium in Dallas (the last time I was there it was before the expansion) But I heard that the aquarium in Atlanta is awesome!

You must go back to see the expansion! There is a glass tunnel you walk through while sharks swim all around you.

#7 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 14 December 2006 - 03:27 PM

I’m kind of partial to Atlantis in the Bahamas. (http://www.atlantis.com/)

I really hate to say it but Bass Pro seems to rival many of the public funded aquariums around here. shakehead.gif

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#8 Dallastar

Dallastar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE(David Love @ Dec 14 2006, 03:27 PM) View Post

I really hate to say it but Bass Pro seems to rival many of the public funded aquariums around here. shakehead.gif

That's true ^ about Bass Pro rivaling the public funded aquariums, however; the Dallas world aquarium is no Atlanta or Bahamas but it's not publicly funded either.

#9 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(Dallastar @ Dec 14 2006, 05:44 PM) View Post

QUOTE(David Love @ Dec 14 2006, 03:27 PM) View Post

That's true ^ about Bass Pro rivaling the public funded aquariums, however; the Dallas world aquarium is no Atlanta or Bahamas but it's not publicly funded either.

Plus... there's a bar inside! tongue.gif

#10 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:19 PM

I love the displays of the Dallas World Aquarium, but the species information was lacking last time I was there.

I really miss the huge freshwater tank at the Fort Worth Zoo.

The new herp building sounds like it will be nice.

Not only that Dallas has better pet shops.I take it pelligrini your into tropical fish?

#11 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE(Dallastar @ Dec 14 2006, 01:11 PM) View Post

I heard that the aquarium in Atlanta is awesome!

Not to get too off-topic, yes, the Georgia Aquarium is outstanding. A $300 million facility built mostly with a $250 million gift from Home Depot founder Bernie Marcus. 8 million gallons of tank space, 6 million in one tank alone that houses 4 whale sharks.

#12 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE(JBB @ Dec 15 2006, 01:26 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Dallastar @ Dec 14 2006, 01:11 PM) View Post

I heard that the aquarium in Atlanta is awesome!

Not to get too off-topic, yes, the Georgia Aquarium is outstanding. A $300 million facility built mostly with a $250 million gift from Home Depot founder Bernie Marcus. 8 million gallons of tank space, 6 million in one tank alone that houses 4 whale sharks.

The Atlanta aquarium is simply amazing, a real must-see. The Dallas aquarium was always just okay to me. The shark tunnel is pretty cool, but it's missing that "extra something". I also miss the freshwater tank at the FW zoo. It was always one of my favorite exhibits.

#13 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Dec 15 2006, 10:31 AM) View Post

I also miss the freshwater tank at the FW zoo. It was always one of my favorite exhibits.

I kept hoping I would hear about a new aquarium gong back into the same spot in the zoo. Although I'm thrilled about the herpetarium.

While driving in this morning I thought that you could build a massive aquarium across Park Place from the zoo, next to the river, and tie the name into the river some how. Maybe "Trinity Aquarium" or something along those lines.

#14 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Dec 14 2006, 06:19 PM) View Post

Not only that Dallas has better pet shops. I take it pelligrini your into tropical fish?

Yea, just a little bit. There are only a dozen tanks set up at my house, even one on the headboard. My avatar and online name was taken from a favorite catfish. It's short for Pseudorhinelepis pellegrini, a loricariid catfish. The book I got the name from years ago had it misspelled.

I would like to see the new herp building combine displays; incorporating terrestrial, amphibian and aquatic creatures together. Not just herps either. There needs to be some fishes in the mix too.

Erik France

#15 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:29 PM

Could anyone post a map ,of some sort, of where this would be at in todays zoo?It would be greatly appreciated.

T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#16 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:51 PM

I remember as a little boy on field trips to the Fort Worth Zoo Aquairium it was ugly,dark,damp and scary. And we boys loves it! I remember some girls would not go down that dark sloping walkway.LOL

But for me the herb was kinda boring. When I take my boy thier it's funny to still see and remember that bench in the shape and color of a snake still thier. smile.gif

But as the Zoo said they went around the world looking for a model to get an example. And said the Zoo will have to "build that example". When you have a Bass family (Ramona Bass) involved you know it will be world class.

I just hope they will bring a WOW factor to the Herpetarium. Like Aquairiums do. Its good never to just sit back and say were a great Zoo and leave it at that. Fort Worth Zoo is a great world class Zoo always looking to get better! Way to go Fort Worth Zoo!

#17 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

Anyone have any scoop on the opening date for the new herpetarium? Last I heard it was February of 2010. My friends and I are planning another "Gap trip" to Fort Worth and want to put this on our agenda. (BTW, a "Gap trip" is getting with friends on Friday afternoon, leaving for some fun destination in your work clothes, stopping at a Gap in your destination, and get a pair of jeans and a couple of tee shirts for the weekend.) Thanks for the info...

#18 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

MOLA opened on Saturday. There was a nice write-up in the Startlegram. I went for the member's opening at 8:30 AM. The line to get in was already 30 minutes long, so we went to lookat the lion (again) instead.

#19 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (ramjet @ Jan 31 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone have any scoop on the opening date for the new herpetarium? Last I heard it was February of 2010. My friends and I are planning another "Gap trip" to Fort Worth and want to put this on our agenda. (BTW, a "Gap trip" is getting with friends on Friday afternoon, leaving for some fun destination in your work clothes, stopping at a Gap in your destination, and get a pair of jeans and a couple of tee shirts for the weekend.) Thanks for the info...

We did it. Gap trip to FW to visit MOLA (unfortunately, Dean Kingston was closed). It was fantastic! Except for the screaming children - beware! Loved MOLA (pics with my new Tamron lens will follow), the Warhol exhibit at the Modern, Lamberts, Cowtown Diner, Ole' South, happy hour at Reata, late night cocktails and live music at 8.0, and another satisfying trip to Taverna (Ferre was closed for the holiday). Downtown was packed Saturday and Sunday with holiday revelers, golf tourney partiers, prom night parents and kids, and us folks from Austin. The crowd was very diverse, fun, and goood-lookin'.

And a special shout out to Four Day Weekend. The 7:30 Saturday show we attended was the most hysterical improv show I've experienced since my days in NYC. If you haven't done this in Fort Worth - run, don't walk. Great, edgy, high quality entertainment by some really talented folks.

And the Worthington, having stayed at several nice hotels downtown in the last few months, is still the best lodging in town. Both mornings while walking my Boston Terrier to do her thing on the lawn of the Tarrant County Administration Building (she's scared of the panther statue) I watched the street and sidewalk cleaners get ready for another day...

Viva Fort Worth. What a great city...!

#20 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (ramjet @ Jun 1 2010, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ramjet @ Jan 31 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We did it. Gap trip to FW to visit MOLA (unfortunately, Dean Kingston was closed). It was fantastic! Except for the screaming children - beware! Loved MOLA (pics with my new Tamron lens will follow), the Warhol exhibit at the Modern, Lamberts, Cowtown Diner, Ole' South, happy hour at Reata, late night cocktails and live music at 8.0, and another satisfying trip to Taverna (Ferre was closed for the holiday). Downtown was packed Saturday and Sunday with holiday revelers, golf tourney partiers, prom night parents and kids, and us folks from Austin. The crowd was very diverse, fun, and goood-lookin'.

And a special shout out to Four Day Weekend. The 7:30 Saturday show we attended was the most hysterical improv show I've experienced since my days in NYC. If you haven't done this in Fort Worth - run, don't walk. Great, edgy, high quality entertainment by some really talented folks.

And the Worthington, having stayed at several nice hotels downtown in the last few months, is still the best lodging in town. Both mornings while walking my Boston Terrier to do her thing on the lawn of the Tarrant County Administration Building (she's scared of the panther statue) I watched the street and sidewalk cleaners get ready for another day...

Viva Fort Worth. What a great city...!

Hello from a resident of MOLA...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users