• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:26 PM

They have begun the newest construction at TCU. The commons area construction has closed Main Dr. (the circle) and gotten rid of the trees in front of the current Student Center. There is also construction about to start for the Bailey Building (School of Education) and remodeling going on in at least Landreth Hall.

Renderings below in *.pdf format poster.

QUOTE(www.newsevents.tcu.edu)
Changing the face of Campus

FORT WORTH, TX
Friday, May 19, 2006

Last fall, TCU Chancellor Victor J. Boschini, Jr. announced a $100 million plan that will change the face of campus, allowing TCU to meet its stated goals of becoming a more pedestrian-friendly, residential campus. Included in those plans are a new facility for the School of Education and a Campus Commons area consisting of four residence halls, a university union and lots of room to roam.

"It's an exciting time to be part of TCU," said Dr. Boschini. "By changing the center of campus we will more efficiently provide students with the best collegiate experience and return to a more residential setting, which is part of our historical origin. Additionally, our School of Education faculty, staff and students are excelling in the field of education, and have outgrown their current facility. A new facility will enable them to continue their march toward excellence."

To read more about the changes and see architectural renderings of the Campus Commons area, click here. For the School of Education and other projects, click here.

GO FROGS!!!

#2 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:53 PM

A few *.pdf snapshots from the poster. Hard to see but just an overview of what is on the poster.

Commons

IPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

New Union

IPB Image

New Dorms in the Commons

IPB Image

Education Complex

IPB Image

Indoor Football Barn/Storage

IPB Image

GO FROGS!!!

#3 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:49 PM

The new student union looks AWESOME! Wish the belltower was a little taller though...TCU could use a signature building. Oh, and there was something on the second newsletter about the bookstore, something about promising "bigger and better than anyone could imagine" or something like that. Sounds like TCU has something exciting up their sleeves for the bookstore property...I just hope it meshes well with the Berry St. Initiative (although, from what I understand, TCU and BSI have a pretty good relationship.)

#4 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 02:33 PM

Pretty amazing "flyover" of new construction from TCU linked in this thread

http://www.killerfro...showtopic=55383

direct link:

http://www.physicalp...er/flyover.html

GO FROGS!!!

#5 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

WOW !

That's pretty impressive. Thanks for the link!

#6 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:37 AM

Man - that kind of animation may be old hat for you architect/engineering kinda people, but for us outsiders, that is absolutely AMAZING! It is going to be very beautiful.

#7 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:02 PM

I hope they plan to raise the quality/breadth of the academic programs too!

#8 EricTCU

EricTCU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:May 3051 Odessa Avenue rest in peace.<br /><br />And a curse, I say, a curse upon those TCU administrators for destroying the house so many of us called home. And for what, 16 parking spaces?? A CURSE!

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE(cjyoung @ Aug 11 2006, 05:02 PM) View Post

You are kidding right? What kind of university is not interested in improving academics?

Blah, I hate it when someone opens this can of worms. What's the deal with this forum bagging on TCU academics all the time? This was a good TCU thread until somebody (as always) had to bag on TCU academics.

Now if only some alumn from UT or A&M (and as a result, automatically smarter than me) could please respond and put me and my guilded view of TCU in the appropriate place as the 7th best college in the Metroplex, this thread will be complete.

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!" - Mugatu (Zoolander)

#9 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(EricTCU @ Aug 16 2006, 10:59 AM) View Post

QUOTE(cjyoung @ Aug 11 2006, 05:02 PM) View Post

You are kidding right? What kind of university is not interested in improving academics?

Blah, I hate it when someone opens this can of worms. What's the deal with this forum bagging on TCU academics all the time? This was a good TCU thread until somebody (as always) had to bag on TCU academics.

Now if only some alumn from UT or A&M (and as a result, automatically smarter than me) could please respond and put me and my guilded view of TCU in the appropriate place as the 7th best college in the Metroplex, this thread will be complete.

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!" - Mugatu (Zoolander)

I lived here all my life. And I never hear "bagging on TCU". Aggies yes.... not TCU. If anything I hear how even the football team sets high standards on academics. The envey of other schools. Mark Davis and Hale Jay of WBAP. Always talk highly of TCU. Not just talking about its Football and Baseball programs. I don't think this is a Bashing TCU forum. For a while I did think this was a Fort Worth bashing forum. But has gotten better. smile.gif

#10 EricTCU

EricTCU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:May 3051 Odessa Avenue rest in peace.<br /><br />And a curse, I say, a curse upon those TCU administrators for destroying the house so many of us called home. And for what, 16 parking spaces?? A CURSE!

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:05 AM

I agree, public perception is good. But in the forum, I feel like there are alot of jabs...

Yeah that's good, but it's still a commuter school...

Good for them, but I wish the academics would get better...

TCU does good for what they are...

Maybe I'm taking it out of proportion, and nothing personal cj! I just read in the alumni magazine and the Neeley newsletter about all of these great academic and student life improvements and about all of these national rankings and awards getting better each year, and that makes it frustrating when Fort Worthians think TCU is nothing more than a nice local college. In fact TCU has become the 2nd most selective school in the state behind Rice!

anywho, I got off topic. VERY COOL animation!

#11 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE(EricTCU @ Aug 16 2006, 12:05 PM) View Post

I agree, public perception is good. But in the forum, I feel like there are alot of jabs...

anywho, I got off topic. VERY COOL animation!

GO FROGS !!! TCU ROCKS IN AND OUTSIDE OF THE CLASSROOM!!!
ROCK ON ERIC !!! ROCK ON!!!

OK................. so what if im from the 80s' cool.gif

#12 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:18 PM

I've heard mostly only good things about TCU. I took a few courses there while attending UTA and thout the porffeseurs wer grait.

#13 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:49 AM

There's probably a good place on this forum to discuss TCU academic and campus life issues. Of course, it's not this thread.

Meanwhile, how about a few recent pictures of construction activities and progress.

"The Commons"

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Some dorm construction details

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And let's not forget the rehab work on the Bailey Building

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#14 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

GREAT updates, Greg! I'm so glad you've had time to get out a little and take some updates, because between work and school I know I sure haven't. Keep it up!

#15 EricTCU

EricTCU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:24 AM

I drove by the other day on the way to the barber shop. I'm just wondering how many more streets can they close down?!?

Poor freshmen, what a nightmare it must be to move in right now. Small price to pay though, that new stuff will be great.

Did anybody see the plans for the new Frog Fountain? Maybe I missed it in the fly over video.

#16 matnorma

matnorma

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:28 PM

Hey Ya'll... this is the link to the TCU Physical Plant Project web site. Here you can find drawings, renderings, and explanations of just about ALL TCU Campus construction.

Check it out... http://www.tcuphysic...jects/index.cfm

#17 EricTCU

EricTCU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:54 PM

Controllable webcam http://138.237.46.59/view/index.shtml

#18 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:54 AM

A few recent snaps...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#19 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:17 PM

Very impressive project, very "old school" feel, does TCU plan on expanding it's student population or just direct more students on campus?

#20 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:20 PM

TCU unofficial goal is to be in the neighborhood of 12-15k in undergrads. They have been buying land east of university both publicly and thru holding companies for this stated goal.

Reality is that it will be closer to the 12k in undergrads and total with grad programs that are being expanded to the 15k in total population.

#21 matnorma

matnorma

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:59 AM

While the very long term goal may be to add more students, the 4 new residence halls are being constructed to house current students.

The Board of Trustees has a cap of around 7,200 undergrad students at the present time. And if you speak to Chancellor Victor Boschini or Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Don Mills, they will tell you the big push is get in the ballpark of 65-70% of the student body to live on campus. This is huge jump from the 35-40% that currently do. Plus, remember that Jarvis Hall will cease to be a residence hall in the very near future. So more beds HAD to be added!!

So, while I do not disagree with youngalum that TCU may expand the student body, it will not be happening soon.

Further, if you look at what makes TCU so attractive, it is the big college amenities coupled with the intimate academic setting. The Trustees are not dumb and they realize this is TCU's hottest selling point. This is why TCU has been hiring more and more faculty each year, while the undergrad population remains constant.

#22 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE(matnorma @ Oct 31 2006, 12:59 AM) View Post
While the very long term goal may be to add more students, the 4 new residence halls are being constructed to house current students.

The Board of Trustees has a cap of around 7,200 undergrad students at the present time. And if you speak to Chancellor Victor Boschini or Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Don Mills, they will tell you the big push is get in the ballpark of 65-70% of the student body to live on campus. This is huge jump from the 35-40% that currently do. Plus, remember that Jarvis Hall will cease to be a residence hall in the very near future. So more beds HAD to be added!!

So, while I do not disagree with youngalum that TCU may expand the student body, it will not be happening soon.

Further, if you look at what makes TCU so attractive, it is the big college amenities coupled with the intimate academic setting. The Trustees are not dumb and they realize this is TCU's hottest selling point. This is why TCU has been hiring more and more faculty each year, while the undergrad population remains constant.

I think the biggest that will be seen in the next 10-15 years will be 10,000 total students and it will be by developing the graduate programs more. The board did put the cap in place and I don't think it's leaving anytime soon. I think I've heard that Chancellor Boschini wants to grow us to somewhere around 10-12 total students with much bigger graduate programs. Youngalum's 12-15,000 undergrads is a new one for me.

Currently (or as current as I found) TCU has an enrollment of 8,865

7,267 undergraduates
1,598 graduate and professional students

In 1999, under Chancellor Ferrari, enrollment was 7,551.

6,456 undergraduates
1,095 graduate and professional students
GO FROGS!!!

#23 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:43 PM

Any construction updates? I have not been in the area in a few months.

#24 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:32 PM

The tower crane for the new Student Union building has been up for a couple of weeks or so.

#25 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:39 PM

Someone ask for an update?

IPB Image

#26 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:53 AM

Some scenes from the (mostly) now completed TCU campus commons and the new Brown-Lupton University Union:

--

Kara B.

#27 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:09 AM

I've been watching these developments with some interest. I'm a TCU alumnus (B.A., 1964). I did grad work at UT and Cal, and I still find the intimate academic experience of TCU to be ideal for undergrads.

UT, A&M, Cal, etc. are research universities, best suited to a graduate school experience. TCU is a teaching university. We have need of both kinds.

#28 Colt

Colt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:53 AM

Got that huge parking lot out of the middle of campus. Beautiful enhancements. I particularly like the sallyport through the Student Center and the arcades running along the dorms. Those are striking architectural features.

Congratulations to TCU.

#29 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:01 PM

Really beautiful! And I'd bet will age well over the years. I love how they're designing the whole campus for pedestrians. Congrats, TCU... My alma mater, Baylor, built some beautiful new buildings recently in Waco; but scattered them all over the Brazos River flood plain. One needs a helicopter to get from class to the student union. I'll complain at Homecoming...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users