57 replies to this topic

#1 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Just had a thought of if we ever got an MLS franchise, where would we put it?

I had a few sites in mind for one. Feel free to weigh in on them...
(p.s., yes, I used the Columbus Crew as a place holder and would expect the stadium to hold high school/college football and concerts as well)

Site #1: Trinity Uptown

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basic Info:
- As of now, it's just open land with some abandoned buildings (and currently home to the temporary drive-in theater) but supposed to be the south edge of the future Trinity Uptown. The stadium would be a few yards away north of the river and a few yards east of Main Street.

Pros:
- Would be in an urban area
- Would be part of the TRV, and with pretty much everything around it being new, would help create a landmark neighborhood in the city and within good walking distance of several new attractions and downtown.
- Good view of the skyline for fans and visitors.

Cons:
- Only one real thoroughfare to the stadium, that being is Main Street (and the use of water taxis on the river, maybe?)
- Would take away room for surface lots (although I think that's more a plus than anything)
- Would take out some mixed-use, low rise buildings originally planed for the TRV.

Toss-ups:
- Near power plant/power lines
- More than several blocks away from any major highways

Best fit architecture for stadium:
Sleek 21st Century modern

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#2 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

Yeah, moving crowds in and out of that corner would be tedious.

#3 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

I like the idea of a downtown soccer stadium - but I think that particular location is probably better served as retail / residential, just because it's such a prime location. Why not put it next to LaGrave Field? They could share parking that way.

I've lost track of where all the TEX stops are, but it seems logical to put a new stadium somewhere next to one of those...

I would love to see an FC Fort Worth get going & competitive w/ FC Dallas. That would be pretty cool.

#4 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

I like the idea of a downtown soccer stadium - but I think that particular location is probably better served as retail / residential, just because it's such a prime location. Why not put it next to LaGrave Field? They could share parking that way.

I've lost track of where all the TEX stops are, but it seems logical to put a new stadium somewhere next to one of those...

I would love to see an FC Fort Worth get going & competitive w/ FC Dallas. That would be pretty cool.

Well I do have other sites in mind, and being next to LaGrave would create a mini sports complex.... I like the idea.

But I don't think TEX will have a stop anywhere near the TRV, since it's already said that there wont be a stop near the Stockyards.

7fwPZnE.png

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Next to LaGrave would be pretty cool, probably the best place possible for it in the TRV area, and since they would share parking rather than have to create it's own that's always better. I guess that'd have to be expanded, since MLS gets a significantly higher attendance than the Cats do. http://en.wikipedia....ccer_attendance

#6 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Site B.

I moved it up (and modified the stadium a bit) to see how it would look.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basic Info:
- As of now, some abandoned buildings and parking lot for LaGrave Field .

Pros:
- Would be in an urban area
- Would be part of the TRV/Trinity Uptown
- Being right next to LaGrave would create a mini sports complex like Camden Yards, the Oakland Coliseums, and South Philly.

Cons:
- Only one real thoroughfare to the stadium, that being is Main Street, still.
- Would take away room for surface lots (although I think that's more a plus than anything)
- Would take out some mixed-use, low rise buildings originally planed for the TRV.

Toss-ups:
- More than several blocks away from any major highway
- Would take out parking for LaGrave.

7fwPZnE.png

#7 downtowndweller

downtowndweller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Fort Worth would be a great place for a new MLS team. How about in the area right by the ITC?

#8 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Fort Worth would be a great place for a new MLS team. How about in the area right by the ITC?

You're talking about those parking lots?

7fwPZnE.png

#9 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

How about air rights over the train tracks?

#10 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Site # 2: West 7th

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basic Info:
- Open land and Perkins Aircraft Services, partially used for parking and the construction of the new West 7th Bridge arches. Has train tracks west of the site and West 7th south of it. In between downtown and the Cultural District.

Pros:
- Would be in an up and coming urban area
- Near plenty of bars, restaurants, stores, attractions, and nightlife.
- Good view of the skyline.

Cons:
- (I honestly can't think of any at the moment other than the fact that there are old industrial buildings north of it, but that could and just may change later.)

Toss-ups:
- Not really that close to any major highway, but the main roads that pass by or come close to stadium are West 7th, White Settlement, Lancaster, and University being the furthest.
- At the moment, not in the most "walkable" area in town.

"Retro" , Warehouse Facade

7fwPZnE.png

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Jeriat, the Trinity Diversion Channel will be splitting away from the current river channel just to the east of this location.

#12 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

Jeriat, the Trinity Diversion Channel will be splitting away from the current river channel just to the east of this location.

Which location?

7fwPZnE.png

#13 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

Not that my vote will count, but I would rather see that area used to extend Trinity Park northward toward the TRV development. Might be a good place for an outdoor theater for a Shakespeare summer season. I can't really see a soccer stadium there; really think you need some major roadways that can carry traffic away when the game is over. There is no guarantee that Fort Worth fans would support a professional team anyway, and the school district is strapped from years of, well, unfortunate expenditure events. The 2011-2012 FC Dallas season barely overlapped home games with Friday - Saturday night HS football games; why would a new team in town not try to work out a deal with FWISD to use Farrington Field, the 4th largest HS football stadium in Texas (18,500 seats)? Not the best location for a stadium, but it is there already. No need for more parking, etc. and the schools can recover some revenue from the lease. Not sure how big a hassle re-striping the field from yards to meters would be.

Which location?

#2, east and a little north

#14 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Not that my vote will count, but I would rather see that area used to extend Trinity Park northward toward the TRV development. Might be a good place for an outdoor theater for a Shakespeare summer season. I can't really see a soccer stadium there; really think you need some major roadways that can carry traffic away when the game is over. There is no guarantee that Fort Worth fans would support a professional team anyway, and the school district is strapped from years of, well, unfortunate expenditure events. The 2011-2012 FC Dallas season barely overlapped home games with Friday - Saturday night HS football games; why would a new team in town not try to work out a deal with FWISD to use Farrington Field, the 4th largest HS football stadium in Texas (18,500 seats)? Not the best location for a stadium, but it is there already. No need for more parking, etc. and the schools can recover some revenue from the lease. Not sure how big a hassle re-striping the field from yards to meters would be.

A few things from this (although, I understand where you're coming from):

- These aren't the only two sites, I still have others in mind and working.
- There's never really a guarantee that ANY fan base will support a team. But when you have the right ownership and pieces involved, it works. Just look at Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City, and Sacramento. All smaller cities that don't strike you as "major sports towns", yet they've had the right pieces in place to make it work..... and that's with NBA.
- FC Dallas is a horrible example because for one thing, they're all the way in Frisco. Pretty far from most of the Metroplex. And second, they're not exactly the best at getting everyone's attention. How many commercials did you see for FC Dallas this past season?
- As for Farrington Field.... I don't know. The MLS has become much bigger over the past decade where playing in a high school stadium is now beneath them. Unless of course the stadium gets an overhaul and since it's a historical land mark, you'd probably have to get certain parties involved.

I actually would want to work with FWISD since Soccer Specific Stadiums still typically hosts high school football (and soccer) as well. It's definitely in mind, but building an SSS and owning a MLS team is still MUCH cheaper than other sports. It's typically around $10 million to get started and anywhere between $40 (lowest - $200 million (highest) to build it. If ya hit the Powerball last night, you could pretty much pay for everything and STILL have some millions left over...

7fwPZnE.png

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

For the record, Farrington Field does not have any historic designations. Therefore, the place could be renovated for any use without any other regulatory approval other than standard building permits and State Accessibility Standards. I personally feel that it should be designated a City of Fort Worth Historic and Cultural Landmark, since it is the only surviving stadium of its design of its type in the city. The demolition of Amon Carter Stadium destroyed the only other stadium of that type in the city back in 2010-2011.

#16 downtowndweller

downtowndweller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

The new MLS stadium in Houston is what I would have in mind for Fort Worth. It is right in downtown Houston and seats about 20,000. A new light rail line is about to open up right outside of the stadium. That's why I think it would be good to put a stadium near the ITC.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

FC "Dallas" really messed up by putting their stadium out in the suburbs.

#17 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Not downtown (I had a heck of a time trying to get through traffic and park during the Chistmas tree lighting). Lots of land and room for parking a la Texas Motor Speedway. Why not in the far southwestern quadrant in the vicinity of the soon to be completed Chisholm Trail?

#18 downtowndweller

downtowndweller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

There were ~100,000 people downtown for the Parade of Lights. There is plenty of parking downtown for a stadium holding 20,000.

#19 downtowndweller

downtowndweller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

I think the American mentality when it comes to stadiums is funny. Someone forgot to tell FC Barcelona (one of the most valuable sports franchises in the world) that they need acres upon acres of surface parking surrounding Camp Nou, which holds 96,000 people:

Posted Image

#20 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

The new MLS stadium in Houston is what I would have in mind for Fort Worth. It is right in downtown Houston and seats about 20,000. A new light rail line is about to open up right outside of the stadium. That's why I think it would be good to put a stadium near the ITC.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

FC "Dallas" really messed up by putting their stadium out in the suburbs.

I understand what you mean, but I can't see any room at all for a stadium next to the ITC. Besides, I and several others have other plans for that area.

If we had any kind of professional sports facility anywhere in Downtown, it would be a multi-purpose arena and the best place to put that would be somewhere on the Lancaster Corridor, if you ask me.

Also, you can't really compare Euro football stadiums to American mainly because a lot of those stadiums have BEEN there for decades, in cities with heavy public transportation and walkable neighborhoods. You could put Cowboys Stadium near downtown Dallas, but certainly not IN it.

7fwPZnE.png

#21 downtowndweller

downtowndweller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Fair enough, just wishful thinking on my part. Would be nice to get some development around the ITC.

#22 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Oh, and for an SSS for Fort Worth, the most capacity I'd see for it would be around 18,000. 18,500 at the most....

7fwPZnE.png

#23 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Site #3: Southside (Broadway)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basic Info:
- Mostly open land with a couple buildings surrounded by older buildings/warehouses and train tracks.

Pros:
- Would be part of the South Main Urban Village
- Near I-30 and 35W

Cons:
- Right now, the area isn't one of the most attractive places and is still building/re-building itself up.
- Not too far from a train yard.
- This area is pictured to be used more for residential buildings.

Toss-ups:
- A couple blocks away from Main Street, slightly cutting it off from the main thoroughfare of the area.

7fwPZnE.png

#24 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

I think the American mentality when it comes to stadiums is funny. Someone forgot to tell FC Barcelona (one of the most valuable sports franchises in the world) that they need acres upon acres of surface parking surrounding Camp Nou, which holds 96,000 people:

Posted Image

Sorry, try again,

The Camp Nou facility is literally ringed with metro lines, and has surface trams (streetcars) and a web of bus lines that connect it to all parts of the city, and major parking facilities such as at Estacio de Sants, where high speed rail is available to Madrid or into France. Besides, the location is sort on the edges of the central city, and while not suburban in any North American sense, is certainly not downtown. A major source of parking for fans from out of town who drive in is at the hotels where they stay. Parking is not considered a privilege in many parts of Europe, the land surface is far too valuable for that sort of waste. Parking is expensive and scarce in general; people plan in advance where they will park when looking to attend a sporting event like an FC Barcelona game. All the Metro station are less than a Km from the stadium, and these folks are generally healthy as a population and accustomed to such walks. I don't see how comparing parking considerations for any major metropolitan area in western Europe to any US city outside of New York and Chicago is valid.

#25 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

Maybe someone has said this already and I'm sorry for the repeat but how about the Near South area. That would help spring that area forward since all of the attention is from downtown and to the north. IMO

#26 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

Ummmmmm....

Site #3: Southside (Broadway)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basic Info:
- Mostly open land with a couple buildings surrounded by older buildings/warehouses and train tracks.

Pros:
- Would be part of the South Main Urban Village
- Near I-30 and 35W

Cons:
- Right now, the area isn't one of the most attractive places and is still building/re-building itself up.
- Not too far from a train yard.
- This area is pictured to be used more for residential buildings.

Toss-ups:
- A couple blocks away from Main Street, slightly cutting it off from the main thoroughfare of the area.

My blog: Doohickie

#27 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Maybe someone has said this already and I'm sorry for the repeat but how about the Near South area. That would help spring that area forward since all of the attention is from downtown and to the north. IMO

lol. Yeah, the Near Southside was posted yesterday. That's at least one site for that area I have in mind.

I got more comin'....

7fwPZnE.png

#28 downtowndweller

downtowndweller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

Posted Image

Sorry, try again,

The Camp Nou facility is literally ringed with metro lines, and has surface trams (streetcars) and a web of bus lines that connect it to all parts of the city, and major parking facilities such as at Estacio de Sants, where high speed rail is available to Madrid or into France. Besides, the location is sort on the edges of the central city, and while not suburban in any North American sense, is certainly not downtown. A major source of parking for fans from out of town who drive in is at the hotels where they stay. Parking is not considered a privilege in many parts of Europe, the land surface is far too valuable for that sort of waste. Parking is expensive and scarce in general; people plan in advance where they will park when looking to attend a sporting event like an FC Barcelona game. All the Metro station are less than a Km from the stadium, and these folks are generally healthy as a population and accustomed to such walks. I don't see how comparing parking considerations for any major metropolitan area in western Europe to any US city outside of New York and Chicago is valid.

I appreciate you spelling out how density in Europe works, but I think you missed my point. My original proposal was to build a ~20,000 seat stadium near the ITC, which really isn't feasible. But if it were feasible, you would have access to:

- Regional trains (TRE, TEX Rail in the future)
- A web of bus lines that connect it to all parts of the city
- Hotels nearby with parking

#29 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Site #4: Farrington Field

Just going on something RD mentioned above. Obviously, I played around with the Farrington model to make it look like a modified SSS, just so you'd get an idea of what it may look like...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basic Info:
- ..... it's Farrington Field.

Pros:
- For an MLS level stadium, about 60% of it is already built....
- Located in a historical neighborhood surrounded by city parks, museums, several landmarks and up and coming corridors/neighborhoods of Museum Place and West 7th.
- Right on the corner of two major streets, University (not too far from I-30 as well) and Lancaster with plenty of parking available.

Cons:
- To make this work, you'd still have to make some alterations to the existing stands at least, a la AGC Stadium.
- More than likely would have to take away the high school track & field elements.
- The area's walkability is in question.

Toss-ups:
- Renovating one of the city's landmarks.
- Could still keep its 1930's facade, but may not be able to see it from the street if there were more stands/boxes added on top.

Art Deco/Neo-Deco

7fwPZnE.png

#30 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

From what I've seen of the AGC renovation, they did a good job of keeping the original Art Deco look while modernizing the facility. That's what you'd have to do with Farrington, aside from removing the track; and it wouldn't come cheap. But, with some ISD's spnding up to $67 million on a football stadium, you might just be able to sell the idea.

#31 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

From what I've seen of the AGC renovation, they did a good job of keeping the original Art Deco look while modernizing the facility. That's what you'd have to do with Farrington, aside from removing the track; and it wouldn't come cheap. But, with some ISD's spnding up to $67 million on a football stadium, you might just be able to sell the idea.

And going back to something I mentioned before, it really doesn't cost much for MLS (compared to the billions spent on the NFL and more millions spent on Baseball/NBA/NHL) so that takes some difficulty off.

7fwPZnE.png

#32 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Site #4: Farrington Field

Just going on something RD mentioned above. Obviously, I played around with the Farrington model to make it look like a modified SSS, just so you'd get an idea of what it may look like...

Basic Info:
- ..... it's Farrington Field.

Pros:
- For an MLS level stadium, about 60% of it is already built....
- Located in a historical neighborhood surrounded by city parks, museums, several landmarks and up and coming corridors/neighborhoods of Museum Place and West 7th.
- Right on the corner of two major streets, University (not too far from I-30 as well) and Lancaster with plenty of parking available.

Cons:
- To make this work, you'd still have to make some alterations to the existing stands at least, a la AGC Stadium.
- More than likely would have to take away the high school track & field elements.
- The area's walkability is in question.

Toss-ups:
- Renovating one of the city's landmarks.
- Could still keep its 1930's facade, but may not be able to see it from the street if there were more stands/boxes added on top.

Art Deco/Neo-Deco

This has been a great series of posts so far. All the locations would be great for an SSS - if we really had to make this decision it would be a tough one to make.

This location, Farrington Field, has some advantages over some of the other locations suggested. For one thing, you're not taking up any additional land - it's already dedicated to a sports complex. You could sell it to the FWISD as a free upgrade to their stadium; the city & team pay for the upgrade for the rights to use the stadium, and it could easily be scheduled not to conflict w/ HS football. As a FW landmark, it would have a lot more hometown flavor than some other MLS stadiums (*cough* Pizza Hut Park *cough*). Also, it would be colocated with the rest of FW's regional tourist draws - obviously Will Rogers, the museums, and the new equestrian arena south of Harley.

Agreed that the walkability of the area needs work - but it's no worse than anywhere else in town, and it needs to be fixed anyway due to the touristy nature of the existing attractions. Another advantage is it's right off of Trinity Park, so anybody with access to the Trinity Trails could easily bike there.

Also, it's walking distance to my house. I'm ready to buy season tickets as soon as this location is announced as the new home of FC Ft Worth.

#33 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

Site #5: Gateway Park

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basic Info:
- Actually, it's an industrial area (I think that's a junk lot) west of what would be the extension of Gateway Park.

Pros:
- Pretty much right off I-30 with Lancaster and Sylvania used for main streets.

- Has an open field used for soccer just a few yards north of where the stadium would be, so there's your practice fields and training facility.
- Right on the river, next to Gateway Park and could help revitalize that area. Also, if Texas Wesleyan gained a football program, it would be a good place for them since it's not that far from campus.

Cons:
- Pretty much in The Hood; typically not seen as a favorable area.
- Not much is built up around this area outside of industrial buildings

Toss-ups:
- May have to build some mixed-use development for visitors around the stadium outside of the park.

Modern Brick 'n Glass

7fwPZnE.png

#34 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

I like the Gateway Park site proposal. Not too far from downtown and spacious for traffic ingress/egress and parking. Don't care much for squeezing a large development along Jones near ITC (it was bad enough getting through the traffic mess in that area on Parade of Lights day). Sorry, but the Jones/Calhoun area is cramped between railroad tracks on the east and parking lots on the west with the law school, UT Arlington campus, TCBA, ITC, and others in between.

#35 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Site #6: Northside Drive

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basic Info:
- Wide open, develop-able land right on the river.

Pros:
- Plenty of space for mixed-use development, both land and waterfront based.
- Pretty close to the future Trinity Uptown and just a short ride to The Stockyards.
- Very close to I-35W

Cons:
- Also near industrial areas.
- May need another main road to either connect with Northside Drive or at least come close to it.

Toss-ups:
- Northside Drive may have to be made wider for better flow of traffic.
- "Connectivity" to other major neighborhoods of The Stockyards, Uptown, and Downtown needs some work....

Modern

7fwPZnE.png

#36 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Jeriat, which do you prefer, the Gateway Park site or the Northside Drive site? (Or another of the sites)?

#37 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Jeriat, which do you prefer, the Gateway Park site or the Northside Drive site? (Or another of the sites)?

Out of those two.... Northside. But to be honest, I really can't think of THE site I would want yet.

I'm doing 10 of these.

7fwPZnE.png

#38 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

Site #7: Forest Park Blvd.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basic Info:
- Site sits close to the river, but also includes a few industrial buildings, some near by homes, and the water department.

Pros:
- Pretty good urban location with Downtown, the Cultural District, West 7th, Midtown/Medical District, and Near Southside, all within a mile of this spot.
- Close to the river with Trinity Park right across.
- Practically right off I-30 (and the future Chisholm Trail Parkway).

Cons:

- There are a couple of older homes and other buildings near the site and really not that much room for parking unless you take a few down.
- A stadium near the city's Water Department may draw some negatives (?)
- Although it's a pretty good location (see above), connectivity to those areas may need more work.

Toss-ups:
- It's taking away a few industrial buildings
- The stadium wouldn't be right ON the river....

Neo-deco

7fwPZnE.png

#39 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

Wow, that is quite a cool spot.

#40 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

#8: Southwest Fort Worth sites.

Modern

Posted Image

Site A.: Clear Fork

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basic Info:
- Site is open, surrounded by the Clear Fork branch of the Trinity, a major rail yard, suburban housing/development, future CTP tollway, and not too far from TCU.

Pros:
- PLENTY of land open for the stadium and development around it
- Right next to Trinity River branch and trails.

Cons:
- It's in a suburban area.
- Not very close to the heart of the city.
- This area is more likely to just become more cookie-cutter housing or McMansions.

Toss Ups:
- Next to a tollway instead of a freeway.
- Hulen is the only real major thoroughfare (existing) that comes even close to the site.

Site B.: Bryant Irving

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basic Info:
- Another open site with nothing but trees. Next door sits a private high school, not too far from the Clear Fork branch, and also sits a long the future CTP.

Pros:
- Not only has Bryant Irving as the main road, but is also in pretty close proximity to two (will be 3) major highways in the area.
- Within walking distance of a few retail places.

Cons:
- Again, it's in a suburban area, not very close to the heart of the city.
- Not too sure if Country Day has rights to this land or not.

Toss Ups:
- Even though you have I-20 and 183 near this site, the highway that actually touches the site is the tollway.

Site C.: Hulen/Cityview

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basic Info:
- Site is WIDE open at the moment, located between the Cityview area and Hulen Street with the Chisholm Trail Parkway under construction right next to it.

Pros:
- Right in between the two main streets in SWFW of Hulen and B.I. (also with Overton Ridge north of it).
- Although in a suburban area, it's somewhat forgivable since there's already plenty of well established development around it like the Mall, several restaurants, a Main Event, etc....

Cons:
- Despite the established development, it's STILL in a suburban area, where walkability is almost non-existent and there are single family homes and apartment complexes everywhere.
- The furthest away from the heart of the city.
- Would pretty much force people to take the tollway since both Hulen and Bryant Irving are notorious for their traffic.

Toss Ups:
-.... none, really. It's probably the only concrete, black & white site here.

7fwPZnE.png

#41 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Cool topic. I love how you're dropping these into Google Earth. It's far from the most practical location, but I love site #2 on W. 7th.

#42 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

Site # 9: North Richland Hills (North Hills Mall)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basic Info:
- The site of the former North Hills Mall (and truth be told, I actually forgot about this place...)

Pros:
- As you can see, it already has parking lots available, so there's really no need to pave anymore.
- Close to I-820/121 interchange, so there's your major highway proximity.
- Area is already developed with enough space within and outside the existing parking lots for more mixed-use development, and quite possibly the best "suburban" site available.

Cons:
- It's still in a suburban area, so you have your typical strip malls and cookie cutter housing...
- Not only is it far from the center of the city, it's completely out of the city limits
- Although it would be a good site for a stadium, it may make a BETTER site for something else, not sports related.

Toss-ups:
- Because of where it's located, it may put people in the mind of Texas Stadium... That's not important or anything, but I get the feeling that's what people would think.

Modern Brick 'n Glass

7fwPZnE.png

#43 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

The City of North Richland Hills announced in a S-T article the other day that this site would house their new city hall and some "mixed use" retail, I don't think there was any residential in the planned mix.

#44 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

The City of North Richland Hills announced in a S-T article the other day that this site would house their new city hall and some "mixed use" retail, I don't think there was any residential in the planned mix.

I thought so. That's too good a spot to just leave it empty....

Anyway, I'll do one more site.

7fwPZnE.png

#45 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Last Site....

Site #10: Far North

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basic Info:
- Land..... just open land.

Pros:
- Located in a corner made by I-35W and 287, so that takes care of the major highways.
- With that and the fact that there is so much land available, it could spur the creation of a major mixed-use neighborhood like West 7th

Cons:
- Very, VERY far away from the center of the city
- Located in an area that could easily become more of your typical suburban development (cookie cutters, strip malls, storage facilities, etc...) or even a drill site, first.
- Nearest restaurant/shopping is more than 2,000 ft. away and on the other side of an interstate....

Toss-ups:
- Could be an extension of the Alliance development.

7fwPZnE.png

#46 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

A few drive-by comments about this area. First, let me say, this is my 'hood. I don't live *right* there, but this is my go-to area for shopping, my commute passes through there, etc. In general, I think the area is already crowded with retail, and adding another major traffic draw probably isn't the best idea. Looking at each site:

A) Clearfork: that area will be McMansions, period. The owner hung onto it as undeveloped land for a long time, I don't see another other than mid- to high-end residential development (with trendy retail on the fringes) going in there. You said "Hulen is the only real major thoroughfare", but but Bryant Irvin (not Irving, Irvin) is just about as close. And with the tollway access, it's kind of moot anyway. But I don't see anyone wanting to put it there; that land will be developed in other ways.

B.) Bryant Irvin: I just don't see it. That knot of traffic at Bryant Irvin, 183 and 20 won't get any better with the CTP in my opinion, and putting a stadium there will only make it worse. Plus everything bad I said about 8A.

C) Hulen/Cityview: All the same negatives, and it's further out.

You did your due diligence to cover this part of the city, but it is clearly (at least to me) the worst of the bunch, as evidenced by the fact that you couldn't even identify a clear site choice.

#47 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

The far north Fort Worth site looks good, provided stadium construction is held off until completion of I-35W expansion (the North Tarrant Express project). I still like a far southwest FW location, not only because lots of open land is availability but also the existing infrastructure, I-20/820, should be augmented soon by the Chisholm Trail Parkway. The stadium doesn’t have to be near the Hulen or Bryant Irvin area congestion, does it?

#48 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

I think if you put it in any of those three sites it will *add* to congestion on Hulen & Bryant Irvin.

#49 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

Some things worth noting concerning traffic:

This isn't something that would cause increased traffic congestion every single day, just when there are events. FC Dallas had 19 home matches in 2012 spread out over 8 months. That's 2 or 3 dates per month. To say that a facility like this would have 60 event days per year is probably a little on the high side. (FC Dallas Stadium has 17 events on their 2013 calendar as of now and that doesn't include FC Dallas games. That would make for 36 events in 2013 assuming they have 19 matches again in 2013.) That's around 17% of the year.

It doesn't matter where you build the stadium, there will be an increase in traffic congestion on event days. You could build it on the moon and it would still create an inconvenience when you have 30,000+ attendees arrive and leave at the same time. Some sites are better than others as far as ease of creating manageably efficient traffic flow, but none give you any chance of eliminating congestion.

#50 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

A few drive-by comments about this area. First, let me say, this is my 'hood. I don't live *right* there, but this is my go-to area for shopping, my commute passes through there, etc. In general, I think the area is already crowded with retail, and adding another major traffic draw probably isn't the best idea. Looking at each site:

A) Clearfork: that area will be McMansions, period. The owner hung onto it as undeveloped land for a long time, I don't see another other than mid- to high-end residential development (with trendy retail on the fringes) going in there. You said "Hulen is the only real major thoroughfare", but but Bryant Irvin (not Irving, Irvin) is just about as close. And with the tollway access, it's kind of moot anyway. But I don't see anyone wanting to put it there; that land will be developed in other ways.

B.) Bryant Irvin: I just don't see it. That knot of traffic at Bryant Irvin, 183 and 20 won't get any better with the CTP in my opinion, and putting a stadium there will only make it worse. Plus everything bad I said about 8A.

C) Hulen/Cityview: All the same negatives, and it's further out.

You did your due diligence to cover this part of the city, but it is clearly (at least to me) the worst of the bunch, as evidenced by the fact that you couldn't even identify a clear site choice.

Yeah, and to be honest, I'd much, much, MUCH rather have a stadium in the heart of the city, rather than further out like SWFW or around Alliance. If we were to have anything like this, it should be IN the city, not on the edge or worse... in a completely different town (i.e., FC Dallas... and the Cowboys for that matter). I just felt the need to include these areas as different options.

7fwPZnE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users