renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:44 PM

International Exposure - Vietnam

Excerpt from Weekend Edition, National Public Radio, 5/2/15:

"Back on the Danang beach where the U.S. troops first landed, things have changed, too. Recently an American band — from the USS Fort Worth, one of the Navy's newest warships — played a concert there during a goodwill visit to Vietnam.  The young, selfie-snapping Vietnamese audience knew the lyrics to almost all the songs, but very little about the war. Like three-quarters of the population, they were born after it ended, and see the Americans as friends.  And the sailors? The few that I was able to speak with were surprised the Vietnamese were so friendly, given the history".

http://www.chron.com...rth-3874656.php

#102 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

Fort Worth enjoying a slew of national media exposure during this political season.  MSNBC has literally set up its station coverage of Texas from Fort Worth along with the usual Austin connection.

Returning from an evening outing Saturday night, I returned just in time to hear Brian Williams (MSNBC/NBC) praise the Stockyards/Coliseum as one of America's great places to see and visit.

:wub: :) :wub:

#103 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:35 PM

That's great!  This area has gotten a lot of attention from both parties in the last two weeks.

#104 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:22 PM

Some interesting data here. To summarize, theres a quiz where players guess the 100 biggest cities in the U.S. Fort Worth is answered 59.2% of the time, putting us between Boise and Oakland. 

The article mostly focuses on San Jose, which is often overlooked as well.

http://fivethirtyeig...-american-city/

#105 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:24 PM

On my MSN feed just now. I was surprised and filled with pride when I saw "The 5 most underrated cities in United States" And Fort Worth is one of them !  Detroit is also one of the five. I'm still not convinced about that city ? But I notice something. The other four are NFL cities. San Diego, Buffalo and Kansas City. And they all have various other pro sports teams. I think that says a lot about Fort Worth. To be able to keep up with the big dogs.

#106 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

Well, we have an NFL team located here in Tarrant County, so you could say we have an NFL team even though its named after a different city.

I'm not a big fan of traditional sports, but it would be nice to have a pro sports team with Fort Worth in its name.

Edited by PeopleAreStrange, 17 March 2017 - 09:01 PM.

-Dylan

#107 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:58 PM

Well, we have an NFL team located here in Tarrant County, so you could say we have an NFL team even though its named after a different city.

I'm not a big fan of traditional sports, but it would be nice to have a pro sports team with Fort Worth in its name.

...... And a Major League Baseball Team too.

#108 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:17 PM

On my MSN feed just now. I was surprised and filled with pride when I saw "The 5 most underrated cities in United States" And Fort Worth is one of them !  Detroit is also one of the five. I'm still not convinced about that city ? But I notice something. The other four are NFL cities. San Diego, Buffalo and Kansas City. And they all have various other pro sports teams. I think that says a lot about Fort Worth. To be able to keep up with the big dogs.

Fort Worth is in the process of becoming a big dog. 

My blog: Doohickie

#109 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:44 AM

I don't know what conclusions can be drawn by the statistical results of the "quiz" linked in Post #104, or even how to interpret the results.  I believe the "foregetfulness" factor is based on quiz-takers' perceptions of a city's population ranking compared with other cities.  One of the biggest winners would seem to be New Orleans, about which 82.9% of the quiz takers ranked that city among the top 17 cities in population.  Actually, the Census Bureau ranks New Orleans the 57th largest city in population.  Why this perceptual disparity?  I suppose people view New Orleans historically and remember how large a population it had prior to Hurricane Katrina.

As to Fort Worth, I don't share the other posters' celebratory disposition.  Our city ranks just above Boise, Idaho, in the quiz takers' perception of population ranking.  We're being compared population-wise to the little obscure city of Boise, Idaho.  That alone tells me more than anything else about the "forgetfulness" of Fort Worth

#110 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

Boise is a beautiful city. Actually has a river running through it.

#111 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:34 PM

A week of some national exposure. :wub:

TCU Basketball wins the NIT in NYC; TWU wins the NAIA Basketball title in KCMO; and FWZoo once again finds itself among the Top Ten of its peers.

http://www.fortworth...79b72ff8b2.html

#112 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:41 PM

Not a bad week for our city. 👏

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users