JBB's Content

There have been 371 items by JBB (Search limited from 25-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#145805 XFL 2020

Posted by JBB on 04 May 2023 - 06:02 AM in Professional Sports and Recreational Activities

The Cowboys moving to Frisco will not clearly open up Fort Worth as an option for an NFL team. The team itself will oppose it and the league will go to great lengths to protect one of its most successful brands.

#146119 XFL 2020

Posted by JBB on 23 May 2023 - 09:28 AM in Professional Sports and Recreational Activities

It's not necessarily a mindset.  There are so many moving parts to major sports and the city wanting it is a very small part.  You have to have an owner that wants to move here and that's probably the biggest component.  

#146123 XFL 2020

Posted by JBB on 23 May 2023 - 11:12 AM in Professional Sports and Recreational Activities

It's a chicken-egg thing.  If there's no interest, why go after an owner?  Can incentivizing it really draw an owner?  Efforts in other cities where facilities were built without a team in place didn't end well: the Rams eventually left St. Louis, the Rays have been trying to replace Tropicana for years and will eventually, the Alamodome never attracted an NFL team.  Dickies arena was tailored to their chief tenant and that doesn't seem to be hurting their business.

The lack of a sports team here is not necessarily evidence that there's no interest or an effort against attracting a team.  The right opportunity has never presented itself.  The recent relocations or new facilities went where their owners wanted them.  The Cowboys wanted to go to Arlington and Frisco.  Arlington approached the Rangers before they ever asked.  The Mavericks seem to be the next team looking to move and Cuban probably already owns the land (talk of that has cooled off quite a bit).

#146268 Who lives in that house?

Posted by JBB on 31 May 2023 - 09:04 PM in Local History

The lot was packed with cars during the golf tournament last week.  I bet they made a fortune.

#146366 What's Your Favorite Tool?

Posted by JBB on 04 June 2023 - 09:25 PM in Miscellaneous

Two other tools that I have:

The most useful gadget in our house is the GE Profile Nugget Ice Maker.  Our refrigerator has a terrible ice maker and we pulled the trigger on this purchase after fighting through inconsistent ice through COVID.  It was not cheap, but it was worth every penny.  It can be a little persnickety, especially after running the cleaning cycle.  It's almost like it needs a day or so to reset itself.

210922102631-ge-profile.jpg

The Dyson Animal cordless vacuum was also a COVID purchase that was well worth the cost.  Both dogs we've had since we bought it shed a lot and it does a good job of removing the hair.  We use it daily on the carpet, tile, and wood floors.  We've used it so much that I had to replace the battery.  The version we purchased was discontinued, but there have been more released since.

245202-01.png

#146339 What's Your Favorite Tool?

Posted by JBB on 03 June 2023 - 09:23 PM in Miscellaneous

I'm a big fan of the Sonicare toothbrush.  I changed dentists about 15 years or so ago and my new one recommended it.  I kind of blew it off and used cheaper alternatives.  He kept pushing it and my wife finally bought me one for Christmas.  As crazy as it sounds, the dentist and hygienist both said they noticed a difference after the switch.  I actually got a new one earlier this year because the battery on my original was finally shot.

I have a couple of favorite household tools.

The Blackstone griddle.  I was absolutely terrible at grilling until I got one.  It's hard to screw it up on the griddle.  My favorite items to cook on it are cubed chicken marinated in Italian salad dressing and heavily seasoned mixed vegetables tossed in a small amount of Italian salad dressing.   

Blackstone_1855_1200x1200.jpg

Echo Backpack Leaf Blower.  Yes, the noise and air pollution are off the chart, but I have a half acre lot with 6 live oaks.  I don't know how I would ever take care of it with a battery powered or handheld unit.

echo-gas-leaf-blowers-pb-755st-64_600.jp

#146365 What's Your Favorite Tool?

Posted by JBB on 04 June 2023 - 08:52 PM in Miscellaneous

I have a Dewalt 20 volt leaf blower, but it just isn't powerful enough to get my yard done before the battery dies.  It's great for a clean cleanup of the sidewalk and patios.  Their 60 volt high velocity blower wasn't available when I got the 20 volt and I would probably switch to that or an EGO when my gas powered bites the dust.  I try to use it conservatively - I blow everything into the yard to mulch it with the mower and then blow the leftovers back into the yard when I'm done.  I also use Trufuel that is cleaner than mixing your own gas.  I rarely run it longer than 10-15 minutes any time I do the lawn with some exceptions in the fall or early in the spring.

I picked up an off brand cordless hedge trimmer from Home Depot years ago and it's perfect for the few times I need it each year.

I've seen the above referenced handheld blower for desktop cleaning at a barber shop.

#146412 What's Your Favorite Tool?

Posted by JBB on 07 June 2023 - 10:04 AM in Miscellaneous

When we purchased the Profile, it was the only machine out there that produced nugget ice in a usable volume.  The others were just noticeably smaller.  I believe there are a lot more affordable options now.  Space is an issue because it is large and very heavy.  Our biggest issue was that it is too tall to fit under the cabinets.  We have a small buffet piece in our breakfast nook that we use for the coffee maker and we put the ice maker on the opposite end.  It does not refrigerate the ice, so if it fills up around bedtime, it's only about half full the next morning and it won't turn on unless you open the bin and close it (keeps it from running constantly).  It also fills up from back to front and the level sensor is at the back of the bin and it shuts off before it is completely full.  I make a pretty regular habit of shuffling around the ice to the front of the bin when I walk by to keep it filling up.  It produces plenty of ice for our family of 3, but just like an ice maker in a refrigerator, we go buy ice if have any sort of get together.  Nugget ice also tends to melt faster and isn't best for everything.  I've always been told that you should never use nugget ice with the old school crank ice cream makers.

#148441 Westside/Camp Bowie/Arlington Heights Development

Posted by JBB on 02 October 2023 - 03:39 PM in Urban Design and Planning

They used to be everywhere on these arterial roads that were the predecessors to freeways.  It's a unique style of motel that's faded and I see a lot of value in preserving them, especially if it results in them being remodeled into boutque properties.  I know there's an example of a mid-mod roadside motel (not this style) being preserved in New Mexico.  My parents have stayed there a couple of times.  The only time I've ever stayed in anything similar was in Port Aransas back in the late-80s.  Not sure if that one is still there.

#148439 Westside/Camp Bowie/Arlington Heights Development

Posted by JBB on 02 October 2023 - 03:09 PM in Urban Design and Planning

I don't know what this style of motel is called, but there are a number around town.  I've seen 3 recently: one on Main north of 28th and two more on Belknap east of Beach (those are probably in Haltom City).

#151141 West Bend, Formerly River Plaza

Posted by JBB on 06 March 2024 - 07:41 PM in Commercial

Okay.  What do you mean by using it?

#151158 West Bend, Formerly River Plaza

Posted by JBB on 07 March 2024 - 12:25 PM in Commercial

Plans change.  It happens in every city.

#151114 West Bend, Formerly River Plaza

Posted by JBB on 06 March 2024 - 08:07 AM in Commercial

How is that "weak"?  Do you want someone that doesn't have the financing for a project to plow ahead anyway?

#148895 West 7th Development

Posted by JBB on 28 October 2023 - 08:55 AM in Commercial

I'm reluctant to go to a lot of BBQ places for lunch during work for that very reason.  I didn't catch that was the smokehouse.  That's a neat set up.

#148893 West 7th Development

Posted by JBB on 28 October 2023 - 08:36 AM in Commercial

I don't necessarily think the design is peculiar, but it's going to stand out in that location.

#147091 West 7th Development

Posted by JBB on 07 July 2023 - 07:38 AM in Commercial

One thing about that tough BBQ competition: you don't see many of them not make it.  If you're good at it, it's lucrative to the point that spending that kind of money on a new building makes sense.

#147096 West 7th Development

Posted by JBB on 07 July 2023 - 07:56 AM in Commercial

I never said they all make it, just that most do.  And Heim never even started construction so I'm not sure that's relevant.  Their locations that opened all survived COVID and Dallas survived a fire.

#149858 West 7th Development

Posted by JBB on 19 December 2023 - 04:51 PM in Commercial

I'm sure I could figure this out if I went back and read through the thread.  Is it 10 stories including the garage or 10 stories of residential on top of a garage?

#148456 West 7th Development

Posted by JBB on 03 October 2023 - 11:34 AM in Commercial

Maybe they could run a shuttle from the sea of parking at Montgomery Plaza?

#148899 West 7th Development

Posted by JBB on 28 October 2023 - 09:48 AM in Commercial

The nutritional value of the food is likely doing far more damage.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

#148136 Veale Ranch

Posted by JBB on 15 September 2023 - 10:13 AM in Commercial

Based on my reading of the Fort Worth Report, the city's tax incentives are focused on infrastructure improvements in this vast, mainly extraterrestrial tract, being outside the city's corporate limits.  

While I see the benefits in some tax incentives, I don't think they should be used for developments on other planets.

#149757 Van Zandt mixed-use project (2816 West 7th)

Posted by JBB on 16 December 2023 - 04:14 PM in Commercial

That's a nice looking project and it is only going to further the urban feel of that stretch of 7th.

#149880 University Avenue rebuild through Trinity Park

Posted by JBB on 20 December 2023 - 12:11 PM in Transportation

What extra lanes is he talking about?  University isn't being widened.  Traffic is heavy on that stretch of the street, but eliminating the center turn lane is going to help with flow.

#149790 University Avenue rebuild through Trinity Park

Posted by JBB on 17 December 2023 - 06:10 PM in Transportation

Southbound is manageable in the mornings and I will not go northbound at any time of day or southbound at any other time.  Lunch hours are unbearable.  Avoid at all costs.

#151524 University Avenue rebuild through Trinity Park

Posted by JBB on 27 March 2024 - 08:37 AM in Transportation

As recently as January, I heard they were still touting a February 29, 2024 completion date.