lobster's Content

There have been 442 items by lobster (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#11723 DT: Former Bank One Bldg. has gone Condo.

Posted by lobster on 04 May 2005 - 07:18 AM in Residential

Potbelly's is supposed to start construction on the first floor in June and be finished with construction by the end of August.  From the information I have been able to gather, it definitely looks as if they will be a retail tenant.  They have filed the paperwork with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation for accessibility review of the drawings.

View Post

John -- I forgot to mention I checked out Pootbelly yesterday... (your mention of the vanilla malt was 80% of the motivation.. I caved as well) .. was good food and I will visit again (had the chicken salad sandwich), but the one thing that struck me was their interior and how it is going to fit in .. it looks like the guy who designs the interiors of Razzoos and the guy who designs the interiors of Fridays had a love child with a small budget and was told to go to town.. There's just crap everywhere .. but late 70s americana crap specifically

Not that I care one way or another what street level spaces in the tower do w/ their interiors, but I can envision already the pretentious types walking in and thinking it was a little lower class just by appearance..

#11721 Goin' to Chicago

Posted by lobster on 04 May 2005 - 07:11 AM in Miscellaneous

Going to Chicago for four days on bid'ness, never been before... will be staying downtown.. y'all have any favorite buildings of note or things you fine folks reccommend as a must-see?

#11700 fw road pet peeves

Posted by lobster on 03 May 2005 - 05:39 PM in Public & Institutional

Hooked, the one-way/two-way streets are a part of a traffic plan to revert the streets back to two-way.  The city decided to do this in phases rather than convert the entire street at once.  It is very confusing, but maybe when all the streets planned for conversion become two-way, there will be fewer wrong way drivers.

View Post

Perhaps, but lemme tell you right now, that's not going to be pretty..
Being able to make a left on a red is a great thing.. makes navigation very quick if you know the one-way pattern... If you can get around the whole "Taylor & Throckmorton are northbound" indescrepancy, they all alternate and it's all pretty easy to get around.. Hooked is right, though, Taylor is ridiculous .. one way going south, then two way, then one way going north..

I have found that Commerce being two-way is convenient but the fun ends at 4th street... Houston being two way along the convention center makes no sense because you have to turn right at 9th if you're heading south...

#11682 fw road pet peeves

Posted by lobster on 03 May 2005 - 11:19 AM in Public & Institutional

another pet peeve .. this time on the state level (?)..

all the overhead hwy signs coming out of downtown leading towards 35W makes NO indication that 121/airport freeway is that direction.. not even a "..to 121" .. the frickin split is RIGHT THERE as soon as you leave downtown via 5th/7th streets!
Same thing when you're coming from 30 onto 35W.. They all just say "35W/377"... even though they share a four mile stretch, who even calls 35 "377" anyway? I think 121 is a significant enough highway to warrant a mention on the very signs that lead to it... if you're not from here it's not that obvious until you've already made the decision to head northbound 35W.. wierd.. especially since that is the way to the airport :D

#11681 fw road pet peeves

Posted by lobster on 03 May 2005 - 11:14 AM in Public & Institutional

Great to see new development in northwest Fort Worth. Wonder if a mall might be coming to that area at some point?

View Post

they've been talking about a mall on the hill between Jacksboro and Quebec St (from behind Staples to about IHOP) since I was a kid.. but that was when Nat Summers owned tons of land around them parts... I'm sure there'll be something poppin' up... all that stuff north of the 820 overpass totally killed off all the old 70s/80s stuff south of it...

and poor Vivian Courtneys .. another vintage 50s diner all gone.. I wonder if the huge rotating neon "V" sign is for sale .. If FW had only saved signs from closed businesses, Fort Worth should have an old sign graveyard like Vegas has :D

I'd love to see the Rocket Lounge sign all lit up again..

#11669 tower lobby pics

Posted by lobster on 03 May 2005 - 06:20 AM in Residential

For example, Schaumburg's designs are just dripping with imagery that connote wealth and sophistication to those who are themselves unsophisticated (at least in their taste in architectural design).  The taste is like that of your typical 20-year old NBA player.

View Post

What elements in particular have you noticed of Sch :D umburg's works that showcase this? Bathtub spouts rigged to pour out of a golden lion's mouth?

#11656 tower lobby pics

Posted by lobster on 02 May 2005 - 04:25 PM in Residential

a few shots :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
fine art...

Posted Image
floors 20+ on the left, 6-19 on the right

Posted Image
bookshelves for the "waiting area"

Posted Image
dome makes for a huge echo

Posted Image

Posted Image

LOb

#11641 art house cinema

Posted by lobster on 02 May 2005 - 08:52 AM in Arts and Entertainment

Anyway, I think there is a big untapped, unmeasured market for art house in FW.  I think it's similar to the Central Market/Whole Foods phenomenon--officially the demographic doesn't exist but really it does.  I think someone very enterprising with some capital and some imagination could get out in front right now and make a lot of money and a lot of people very happy.

View Post

I agree... build (and market!) it and they will come..
I think the Ridglea would be great for this instead of being a dive for local B-grade bands..

would the Isis work or have people not warmed up to N. Main yet?

#11634 art house cinema

Posted by lobster on 02 May 2005 - 04:20 AM in Arts and Entertainment

Sam -- wha's the profit margin on running one of those?
Everytime I go to the Inwood it's packed, whether they're showing some off-the-wall art movie w/ French subtitles or ol' standards like The Shining and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.... Even if you don't pack the house, I would still guess the overhead of securing indie or previously-run potential cult classics is far less than a mainstream a-list feature film? If this is the case, why hasn't someone stepped up? :o

#11624 "Post" addiction lol

Posted by lobster on 01 May 2005 - 08:13 PM in Miscellaneous

There are a couple of observations that I want to put up here about my New York trip which I will hopefully get around to soon.

View Post

!! did you get to rummage through the reconstruction rubble of the Flatiron Bldg (the NY variety :o )?! .. linky

#11586 Historic Electric Bldg Penthouse

Posted by lobster on 30 April 2005 - 12:12 PM in Residential

The retail on the street level was being renovated by the Alexander Group. Very nice price on it, but I don't think I can place a restaurant in there, Code issues (ventahoods, bathrooms, security) and all. Wonderful layout, art deco with an elegant marble vintage staircase, and non finished mezzanine.

View Post

don't be fooled by the building's original grandeur .. the Alexander Group is in Wisconsin and they have no clue (or care?) as to how horrible of a shape that bldg is in.. it really had the potential to be one of fw's great renovation projects but they failed miserably and it's not very well taken care of... there's a reason why the shipping place is relocating come October.. poor guy couldn't take the abuse anymore..

btw their spot on 7th you're talking about does have ADA bathrooms -- installed in '95.. they're tucked down a hallway behind the staircase... those three outlines of arched portals on the back wall used to be the entrances into the Hollywood Theatre...

#11582 TC Courthouse 1890s Safe on Ebay

Posted by lobster on 30 April 2005 - 11:51 AM in Local History

how do you suppose the seller got this?

linky

#11580 Historic Electric Bldg Penthouse

Posted by lobster on 30 April 2005 - 11:40 AM in Residential

I noticed they took down the sign that said coming soon, been up for a long time... They replaced with a sign for leasing.  Also noticed they cleaned-up one of the vacant retail spots on 7th st.  New management firm?

View Post

aww!! They took that sign down?!?!!
A huge 20 foot high sign mounted to the Lamar/7th corner that said "Coming soon, FALL 1995" .. I was hoping the sign would last at least until it's 10 year anniversary.. :( .. that place is such a joke ..

stay tuned..

#11560 art house cinema

Posted by lobster on 30 April 2005 - 12:40 AM in Arts and Entertainment

2.  The programming.  Instead of showing indies, foreign films, etc. they rely more heavily on films that bring in the teenagers. 

View Post

when sundance 11 was still in its infancy back in the mid 90s, Michael Price (who worked for Sundance Square for a bit after FWST) hosted a movie series there where he featured some movies on the more artistic alternative level, preceding it with Michael himself giving a brief commentary on the film before it began.. I went a couple of times and remember only a few people attending, but they were interesting and gave an alternative life to the mainstream theater... it was marketed poorly though and the show was usually late in the 5 o'clock hour so there wasn't a chance for it to really breathe.. but at least they made a stab at it..

#11559 Decent Pubs

Posted by lobster on 30 April 2005 - 12:34 AM in Arts and Entertainment

What’s the general opinion of The Library? I’ve stopped in there a couple of times, hit and miss crowd wise; think that has to do with what ever drink special is running.

View Post

feh.. it's chock full of guys named Lance and girls named Kristie...
100s of baseball hat-wearin guys that go "Woooo!" every fifteen seconds.. too loud inside, and it's laid out pretty uncomfortably.. I'll never understand why that place has a line out the door on weekends.. i'd rather hit up fox+hound if i had a choice.. they did a great job on the interior, it's just enormous, and they have pretty decent food til 130am.. rare (!) (black forest sandwich = excellent)

#11558 Decent Pubs

Posted by lobster on 30 April 2005 - 12:31 AM in Arts and Entertainment

I just happen to like the Saucer the best because of the building and the selection.. the upstairs was done up very cool..

View Post

So you like the upper floor of the Flying Saucer? The upstairs was one of my contributions to downtown as an architect. I will take that as a compliment.

View Post

Oh John it's absolutely one of my favorite places to hang.. it's a very cozy and welcoming room, with almost a separate-from-the-rest-of-the-place VIP feel to it.. You had a hand in that aye? Who's idea was it to adorn the wall surrounding the bar with dominos and Ike dollars? That's really an ingenious touch..

#11528 Decent Pubs

Posted by lobster on 29 April 2005 - 03:55 PM in Arts and Entertainment

L0bs has a pretty good site with a fairly detailed list of the downtown establishments. DowntownFortWorth.com "food and drink"

View Post

:ph34r: thanks for the plug .. the 2005 Summer list shall make things more current .. to be posted very soon ;)

#11527 Decent Pubs

Posted by lobster on 29 April 2005 - 03:52 PM in Arts and Entertainment

I am looking for a good neighborhood bar and/or restaurant preferably in or near downtown Fort Worth.

View Post

you know, that new Finn MacCool's on 8th ave is actually a pretty decent lil' joint..
only a mile from downtown.. they subscribe to the "really loud music makes it seem busy" theory, but otherwise they put it together nicely .. I have no idea what was there beforehand (anyone know?)

as for inside downtown, if I had to choose between Rick O'Sheas vs Paddy Reds vs Flying Saucer vs Pour House .. mm.. Flying Saucer is probably my favorite of the four (sorry, all you anti-chain guys ;) ) We *could* use a few more original neighborhood bar-style places down here .. I just happen to like the Saucer the best because of the building and the selection.. the upstairs was done up very cool..

#11525 TCU Unveils GrandMarc at Westberry Place

Posted by lobster on 29 April 2005 - 03:35 PM in Residential

was in the hood t'day

Posted Image

#11521 Potbelly Sandwich Works Coming to TCU

Posted by lobster on 29 April 2005 - 02:37 PM in Arts and Entertainment

..hm.. replying to myself.. a new one..

View Post

Lobs, I think Safly is rubbing off on you! :swg:

View Post

mm i think you're right! ..that explains the sudden visions of eating riverwalk mexican food with Lila Cockrell ;)

the difference is, of course, being that I happen to like Fort Worth ;)

#11517 "Post" addiction lol

Posted by lobster on 29 April 2005 - 10:27 AM in Miscellaneous

...and for those of you playing along at home, please.... no wagering....

View Post

whaaaaat? ;)

View Post

..david letterman would always say that before beginning stupid pet tricks..
not that i expected anyone to catch that.. it's just sometimes fun to throw that out there :swg:

#11516 City Council Elections

Posted by lobster on 29 April 2005 - 10:24 AM in City Issues

I'm not familiar with the many district 7 candidates but I did get to know Sal Espino during the 2003 campaign and I hope he takes Dist 2.. He is so energetic and excited to be a part of the district I really don't know why he didn't win the last time around .. ;)

Kathleen Hicks, Ralph McCloud's assistant who's running for district 8 is real good peoples as well.. although if Walker somehow wins there'd be some hilllaaaarious city council meetings that may make channel 7's ratings rival the networks :swg:

#11515 Potbelly Sandwich Works Coming to TCU

Posted by lobster on 29 April 2005 - 10:14 AM in Arts and Entertainment

Movie @ Modern + Sweet Basil = foreign film & Thai :swg:
(ok, ok, Sweet Basil is NRH.. but still Tarrant County.. we family!)

View Post

Actually, that new "Nine Pan Asian Cuisine" next to the new Indian joint on Hulen has a marginal amount of thai entries .. red curry chicken was pretty on-par w/ NRH Sweet Basil and Watauga's Thai Tinas.. so there's your foreign fantasy night out completely within the confines of the city limits of FW... do one better and cap the night off with a canteloupe hookah at Byblos ;)

..hm.. replying to myself.. a new one..

#11514 Potbelly Sandwich Works Coming to TCU

Posted by lobster on 29 April 2005 - 10:10 AM in Arts and Entertainment

Like if my fiance and I want to see a foreign film and have Thai food all in the same place, we have to go to dallas.  I'd rather stay in FW, but the option doesn't exist. 

View Post

Movie @ Modern + Sweet Basil = foreign film & Thai ;)
(ok, ok, Sweet Basil is NRH.. but still Tarrant County.. we family!)

And I really really hate to say this, please forgive me guys, but FW needs more restaurants like the ones you find in parts of Dallas like Greenville, Oak Lawn, Mockingbird Station, etc.

View Post

here here... *big sigh for EatZis*

#11501 "Post" addiction lol

Posted by lobster on 29 April 2005 - 07:40 AM in Miscellaneous

Great job people , keep up the good work, and keep it clean. Let's Get It  ON! 

View Post

...and for those of you playing along at home, please.... no wagering....