105 replies to this topic

#51 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:32 PM

How about The Main Street Art Fest does it in less than a week?

You are going compare Main Street in Downtown where utilities and infrastructure is permanently in place to a public park where it is not?

#52 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:10 PM

I disagree that the utility setup is significantly different.  The majority of Art Fest space is in the middle of the street where there's no infrastructure.  There are permanent electrical outlets all through the park.  I have no problem with fencing of specific sections to do some of the pre-work, but there's no reason the trail needs to be fenced off.

And since you seem to disagree with everything I say, it's time to put you on ignore for a while.  See ya.

My blog: Doohickie

#53 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

I find it ridiculous that they take the park offline for a full month every year.  Set up the week leading up to it and tear it down the following week.  They do it that way for the Main Street Art Fest, not sure why Mayfest needs all the extra time.

Here are the reasons they must close the park for that period of time.  For what it's worth, part of the funds from Mayfest go directly to the trails and parks that make this city great.

https://www.mayfest....ty-park-closure

I disagree that the utility setup is significantly different.  The majority of Art Fest space is in the middle of the street where there's no infrastructure.  There are permanent electrical outlets all through the park.  I have no problem with fencing of specific sections to do some of the pre-work, but there's no reason the trail needs to be fenced off.

And since you seem to disagree with everything I say, it's time to put you on ignore for a while.  See ya.

Perhaps you should take the time and read other people's posts on the Forum; you might be surprise what you can learn. - re: fw-a, 4/25/17

Seldom, if ever, is there anything said to disagree with;  when what is said is more or less inconsequential.

#54 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:26 PM

The construction of the trail on the east side of the river is progressing steadily; I suspect the goal is to connect the new bridge (next to the Forest Park RR Bridge) to the Tilley Bridge prior to Mayfest.  Most of the construction under the freeway/railroad bridges is done; the remainder will be along the bank by the Pappa's restaurants and along Forest Park.

Someone who went to the Bicycle Advisory Council meeting reported to me that the trail on the east bank will *not* be ready for Mayfest 2018.  Instead, the city will make improvements on the packed gravel trail on the west side of Trinity Park this year to fix flooding problems on the trail, and by 2019 the trail along the east bank will be complete.

#55 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:34 AM

I wouldn't mind the blocking of the Trail so much if the main pathway through the park was paved, not just adding another layer of gravel.

#56 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:11 PM

Same here, but at this point the end game is the trail on the east bank; the work on the stone path through the west side of the park is a bandaid for this year. 

And as it goes, I'll take it.  The trail isn't ideal for road bikes but it's okay for bikes with wide-ish tires.  If the temporary measures correct some of the deficiencies on that trail, it could result in long term benefits for all the different trails involved.

#57 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:40 AM

I might consider the east bank trail once it's completed in this area.  Being a bit lazy and set in my biking ways, however, I would prefer a straight line to downtown (and home).  As it currently is, my early-morning commute during Mayfest time this past year was to trek north on University Boulevard to the first light and turn right back into the park at a point just north of the closed-off arts fair event, then back onto the trail.  Not too risky safety-wise because there's little traffic on University at 4:00 a.m.

#58 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:51 AM

It's that time of year again! Detours start soon.

http://fortworthtexa...-trail-closure/

#59 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:16 PM

...for the last time.  By next year the trail on the east bank of the Trinity should be complete to connect the Tilley Bridge with the new bridge next to the FPRR Bridge by the Food Truck Park to completely skirt Mayfest.

#60 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:10 AM

The Fort Worth website mentions a "lighted loop Trail."  This is new this year, isn't it?

#61 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:43 AM

Not really.  My bicycle light has lit the trail pretty well for years.

#62 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:18 PM

I'm wondering if the trail will be done in time...

During the course of construction it was discovered that a fiber optic line was in conflict with the designed trail alignment. The scope of this amendment includes the re-design of a portion of the trail and retaining wall to avoid a conflict with the fiber optic line.  Additional services under the scope of this amendment include re-design of approach walks to the Vickery Street bridge which are being re-routed to avoid conflicts with unplanned improvements related to the Chisholm Trail Parkway.

http://apps.fortwort...ldate=9/11/2018

#63 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:53 PM

I found a powerpoint with this project mentioned in it, including a contact for more information.  I sent an email to that contact several days ago asking about the lack of construction.  No answer yet, but you just answered my question.  Thanks.

#64 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 11:07 AM

Council was told Tuesday the East bank extension will be complete early 2019 so it should be done before Mayfest. They had 5 engineering amendments. $1,400 per linear foot for that trail.

#65 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:46 PM

Huzzah!

#66 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:36 AM

I rode the Mistletoe Heights connection this weekend, and it looks like they are progressing with connecting the trail on the east side of the river.  One of my cycling buddies is working with all of the involved parties to get this trail extended all the way over to Rogers Road.

#67 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:36 AM

That is in the long term plan, but it looks like there are several pricey obstacles to extending the trail to southwest, including bridges crossing the oxbow in two places near the Forest Park Miniature Railroad depot, and crossing under University.  There are alternatives to that shortest route concept, but it looks like avoiding the two bridges over the oxbow would involve securing easements from approximately 6 land owners on Mistletoe Drive, and avoiding going under University Drive would mean a longer trail that would cross at the Colonial Parkway signal.  Extending the trail to Rogers Road looks to be expensive, or complicated, or both.

#68 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:58 AM

The trail seems mostly done, just some gaps in a few places and then some work to be done under the highway and rail bridges.

#69 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:26 AM

Doohickie, a friend of mine who is an engineer has shown me and some park department officials that going under University Drive is very feasible and shouldn't be a problem on the south side of the river.  My friend's proposal is to end the trail at the parking lot on Rogers Road, realizing that it won't be built across Colonial Country Club's property. 

Austin55, I will certainly be glad when the trail is finished on the east side of the river.  In previous years, once the other trail was closed down for Mayfest, we just did not ride north on the trail for that month.

#70 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:28 AM

I had heard a couple of years ago that running the trail under the University bridge on the south side of the river was just a matter of finding the money to make it happen.

#71 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:41 AM

JBB, after my friend walked us under the bridge, I would tend to agree with what you heard. 

#72 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:14 AM

Unfortunately, I've been told the trail will not be completed by Mayfest this year.

#73 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:44 AM

Austin, I had also heard that, as well.  However, I thought that maybe you had more "current" information.  Waiting a few more months for completion is not that big of a deal with me.  We can always ride south on the trail and not head north for a month.  I've done it before.  The only thing was that I was hoping to ride to Grapevine before the weather got hot.  Even though I don't ride on the streets much, cutting through the South Side actually shortens the distance to Grapevine for me.  We could always arrange to meet on Magnolia instead of on the trail to do this ride.

#74 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

I'm a bit confused.  Because of the cold weather (and a bad back) I haven't been riding my bike on the Trails for quite awhile.  But all is well and I plan a return shortly.  So, is the entirety of the Trails from SW Blvd bridge to downtown on the west side of the river still open?  No obstructions?

#75 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:56 PM

I'm a bit confused too reading that the trails connect from Fort Worth to Grapevine; is this true?

#76 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:46 PM

I apologize for confusing everyone.  Johnfwd, as far as I know the entire stretch of the trail on the west side of the river from Southwest Blvd. (TX 183) to downtown is open.  However, it will shut down for Mayfest through Trinity Park.  That is usually for about 4 weeks from mid-April until the 2nd week of May.  With the paved trail not complete, the alternative would be the gravel loop through Trinity Park or using city streets.

Rename, the trails do not connect from Fort Worth to Grapevine.  There is an approximate 6 mile gap where you have to ride on city streets through Richland Hill and North Richland Hills.  I'm tentatively planning a bicycle ride from around TCU to Grapevine and then taking TEXRail back to Fort Worth.  When I get this organized, those on the Forum are welcome to come along.

#77 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:40 AM

Thanks, and I'm planning to hit the Trails early tomorrow morning.  Low 57, high 75.  Beautiful spring weather!  Two potential obstacles always concern me.  I have to time it so I can cross the railroad tracks (to miss the train) off Vickery at the Southwest Boulevard bridge in order to connect with the Trails down the frontage road.  Sometimes a train just parks at the tracks in the morning!  The other potential hazard is encountering a skunk on one or two stretches of the Trails, mainly before you get to the Bryant Irvin bridge.

#78 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:39 AM

In the Trinity River Cruises discussion, there was an aside to the effect that funding was approved for another bridge over the Trinity near the FWWRR crossing.  I think based on the discussion it isn't that there will a new bridge, but that the trail will need to run under the FWWRR bridge along the river; the funding was probably for that crossing.

The bridge in question is the one in this Google Maps streetview shot, which tantalizingly also includes a view of the brand new trail along Parkview Drive that will lead to the crossing under the FWWRR.  Progress!

#79 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

I was looking at the crossing under the FWWRR bridge yesterday on streetview and I noticed that there's not a lot of space under that bridge.  I'm assuming they'll grade down to gain more clearance or maybe what they're getting at with the "new bridge" is cantilevered part of the trail that goes out over the river to get under the railroad bridge.  That's probably overcomplicating it, but it crossed my mind.

#80 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:49 AM

Looks like they could just put it to the left of the small piling here by carving out the incline.  That would give it about the same amount of clearance as the trail on the opposite bank.

#81 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:04 AM

I think Mayfest should adopt the Main Street model:  Go admission free and not be fenced off to the general public.  Or else, Mayfest should find another location.  Trinity Park is a public park.  The park should remain open and freely accessible to the public the year around.  My opinion about this has been strengthened by the fact that capital improvements have been made recently for the benefit of the children.  

#82 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:22 AM

Eh, it's not gonna happen.  Even if the event was free, they would still fence it in to keep people out during setup, etc.  I think it's ridiculous that they need to close the park 3 weeks ahead of the event for setup and 1 week after for teardown.  But it is what it is and it's not gonna change.  Once the east bank trail is open it will be of minimal disruption to me for cycling, and for cycling I think that's a reasonable accommodation.  It's just frustrating that it's taken so long.

But for people who use the park shelters for gatherings, etc., that's a long time to be out of commission for such a popular park, especially during the spring weather before it gets too hot.

#83 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:01 PM

Or else, Mayfest should find another location....  

There is a wonderful (private) location in Clearfork that is adjacent to the ditch- er- river that would work perfectly. Stop bogarting the premiere park in the entire city for weeks at a time.

#84 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

Or else, Mayfest should find another location....  

There is a wonderful (private) location in Clearfork that is adjacent to the ditch- er- river that would work perfectly. Stop bogarting the premiere park in the entire city for weeks at a time.

The Heart of the Ranch wouldn't put up with Mayfest hogging their venue for a full month for a one-weekend event.

#85 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:58 PM

Well, they would presumably be paying for it, so maybe...

#86 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:02 PM

Mayfest is a fundraiser, so I wouldn't expect the admission fee to go away.

#87 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:31 AM

Well, they would presumably be paying for it, so maybe...

Mayfest and Trinity Park will be forever intertwined.  It started there, it ain't moving.

#88 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:11 PM

The bridge has been delivered!

https://www.instagra.../p/B3FVHq_H_cd/

#89 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:59 AM

looks like an opening before Mayfest 2020 is becoming more and more likely!

#90 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:35 PM

I hope that it will be open by then.  The cyclists really need this option. 

#91 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:29 PM

The bridge has been delivered!

https://www.instagra.../p/B3FVHq_H_cd/

When is the rest of the trail to the Forest Park bike bridge going to be completed? It has sat in the same state for over a year now. Things in this town move at a snail’s pace.

#92 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:17 PM

I don't think it will be too long.  We rode the Trinity Park section of the trail yesterday afternoon.  In addition to the placement of this bridge under the FWWRR trestle, grading is being done from the bank on either side of the bridge to connect with the two already paved sections of trail that have been built.  I also noticed that work had been started to build retaining walls next to the highway and railroad bridges at I-30 and the Chisholm Trail Parkway.  If I had to put a date on it when they will allow cyclists on the new section of trail, I would guess March or earlier.

#93 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:04 AM

I'm looking forward to this Trail expansion.

#94 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:40 AM

I'm looking forward to this Trail expansion.

Yep.  Long overdue.

#95 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:46 AM

Bridge was in place last night. There's going to be quite a nice decline/incline getting to and from it, which was being leveled out when I saw it. Def going to be a big help. I'll commute home on this route sometimes, using Tilley to cross and then coming back over to use the Mistletoe connection. Really great to have it.

#96 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:55 PM

There is a lot of pedestrian traffic (dogs, strollers, kids, joggers, etc.) in the park.  It is a very high traffic area with people not watching for cyclists.  In addition to being a better Mayfest detour alternative, it will hopefully segregate the cyclists from the pedestrians and make going through the park more pleasurable for everyone.

#97 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:39 AM

Although I like the bridge and I think it is great to have connections to each side of the river to connect the trail I don't see the benefit of having this bridge.  What is it's purpose? If it is just a way to divert trail traffic during mayfest wouldn't they have accomplished the same thing by just finishing the Trinity trail on the eastern side?  You would just have to cross at the Tilley bridge which isn't that far away.  Maybe this is more for pedestrians.

#98 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:52 AM

The Tilley bridge is north of the Mayfest DMZ line. So this connects from the Tilley Bridge on the east side to the south, past I30 and all the way to the new zoo bridge. It is a very needed addition for the busiest section of trail in the entire Fort Worth area.

#99 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:04 AM

The reason the designers of the trail erected a bridge here is that the existing concrete sloped section of the bank beneath the railroad bridge did not allow enough space to put a trail at this location.  The only way to span across this slope was to build a bridge across. Rriojas71, you stated that you didn't see the benefit of having this bridge.  First off, it is part of the overall master plan for the Trinity Trails.  That plan calls for a trail on both sides of the river through the center of the city.  Secondly, it provides an alternate trail on the opposite side of the river from where there is the most traffic.  I rode through Trinity Park this weekend, and even in off hours this section of trail has walkers who are not watching where they are going, children, dogs, joggers, and other cyclists.  Third, it provides a paved way around Mayfest when the trail is closed.  The last time I rode the gravel loop trail, it was impossible to ride on a road bike.  Finally, part of this will become the main route of the trail if the diversion channel is built and Panther Island is completed.  When this work is done, several sections of the Trinity Trail on the west side of the river will be severed.  Once the river channels are complete the trail is supposed to be replaced on the west side.  In the meantime, there will need to be ways to ride around the construction.  This is my two cents worth.

#100 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:08 AM

Although I like the bridge and I think it is great to have connections to each side of the river to connect the trail I don't see the benefit of having this bridge.  What is it's purpose? If it is just a way to divert trail traffic during mayfest wouldn't they have accomplished the same thing by just finishing the Trinity trail on the eastern side?  You would just have to cross at the Tilley bridge which isn't that far away.  Maybe this is more for pedestrians

This new bridge doesn't cross the river like the Tilley bridge.  It cantilevers out over and parallel to the channel to let the new trail pass under the rail bridge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users