Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:28 PM

Granger wants ship named after Cowtown

By CHRIS VAUGHN
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

FORT WORTH — Not content to let just Dubuque, Shreveport and Green Bay sail the high seas, U.S. Rep. Kay Granger wants Fort Worth under way too.

The Fort Worth Republican has asked Navy Secretary Donald Winter to name one of the Navy’s newest combat ships after Cowtown, and she enlisted the help of the Rotary Club of Fort Worth to help make up Winter’s mind.

“The decision is made only after community support is shown,” Granger said during the Rotary Club’s weekly luncheon on Friday.

The Navy is quite familiar with Texas geography. Already steaming under the Stars and Stripes are the USS Austin, City of Corpus Christi, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.

In 2002, the Star-Telegram reported on the missing USS Fort Worth in the nation’s fleet, a particularly flagrant omission considering the presence of a naval air station on the west side.

Granger said she would like a littoral-class ship named Fort Worth. Sleek, fast and futuristic, the littoral ships named so far are Freedom and Independence (not cities but concepts).

Is Fort Worth a concept?

#2 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE(DrkLts @ Apr 28 2006, 10:28 PM) View Post

By CHRIS VAUGHN

FORT WORTH — Not content to let just Dubuque, Shreveport and Green Bay sail the high seas, U.S. Rep. Kay Granger wants Fort Worth under way too.

The Fort Worth Republican has asked Navy Secretary Donald Winter to name one of the Navy’s newest combat ships after Cowtown, and she enlisted the help of the Rotary Club of Fort Worth to help make up Winter’s mind.

“The decision is made only after community support is shown,” Granger said during the Rotary Club’s weekly luncheon on Friday.

The Navy is quite familiar with Texas geography. Already steaming under the Stars and Stripes are the USS Austin, City of Corpus Christi, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.

In 2002, the Star-Telegram reported on the missing USS Fort Worth in the nation’s fleet, a particularly flagrant omission considering the presence of a naval air station on the west side.

Granger said she would like a littoral-class ship named Fort Worth. Sleek, fast and futuristic, the littoral ships named so far are Freedom and Independence (not cities but concepts).

Is Fort Worth a concept?

Hey this is good news! Lets show support ! But it does not say who to call or write to? The City Council should be involved in this also!

#3 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:39 AM

To Kay,

QUIT wasting our FRIGGIN time and money on trying to wine and dine Don winter and his "mateys" at some local steakhouse on our dime, just to name a naval ship after Ft. Worth . Get REAL stuff done and then maybe we will ask for you to return to your job. Rotary club, at ease.

- huh.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#4 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:57 AM

By CHRIS VAUGHN

Is Fort Worth a concept?

Does someone have a pic of the Dallas or S.A. ?

#5 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:27 PM

The Dallas is a submarine and the San Antonio is a class ship of the littoral type of landing or dock ships.
I don't have photos but you can go to www.hazegray.org and find anything about any ship ever in the US or Confederate Navy and most of the rest of the worlds navies.

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:40 PM

USS Dallas

IPB Image

USS San Antonio

IPB Image

#7 lens314

lens314

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes, Cars, Computers, LEGO

Posted 01 May 2006 - 03:06 PM

The USS Dallas was the portrayed in the book and movie "The Hunt for Red October".
(one my favorite book and movie, my dvd copy is worn, dont ask me how, cause i dont know how, lol)
-Doug

#8 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:16 AM

QUOTE(Keller Pirate @ Apr 30 2006, 02:27 PM) View Post

The Dallas is a submarine and the San Antonio is a class ship of the littoral type of landing or dock ships.
I don't have photos but you can go to www.hazegray.org and find anything about any ship ever in the US or Confederate Navy and most of the rest of the worlds navies.

Thanks Keller biggrin.gif

#9 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ May 2 2006, 07:16 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Keller Pirate @ Apr 30 2006, 02:27 PM) View Post

Thanks Keller biggrin.gif

Thiers a write in campain vote in Sunday's paper to show your support. rolleyes.gif

#10 CTroyMathis

CTroyMathis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:48 PM

I've served on the USS Dallas and USS Houston, each a little over one year. Yes, it's damn ironic even - considering being a Texan and being from DFW. Most of my time has been on subs with state names though.

The best chance for a ship named after Fort Worth should be the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) program. I look forward to a namesake ship for Fort Worth. Meanwhile, the USS Texas (yet another one, but, this time a sub - expect it to last 30-40 years barring 'issues.') is coming online in short order.

(Yes, in the Wardroom of the USS Dallas is a 60s photo of the skyline. Typical when there wasn't a previous namesake ship photo to put up on the bulkhead. Also, when I served on it, I made sure a newer photo of both Dallas and Fort Worth were put on the sideboys (small color photos vice the big giant black and white original) where the officers would first grab their salad before sitting down to eat all fork-and-knife-school-like.)

#11 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:30 AM

By CHRIS VAUGHN

FORT WORTH —“The decision is made only after community support is shown,” Granger said during the Rotary Club’s weekly luncheon on Friday.

Remember to mail in your support slip to the Star Telegram by June 1st! rolleyes.gif

#12 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

I saw these two pictures over at Killerfrogs.com's Forums of the USS Texas under the title of USS Texas Submarine Sea Trails (probably supposed to be trials).

IPB Image

IPB Image
GO FROGS!!!

#13 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

Turned out to be a beautiful ship. Congrats US Navy and Fort Worth.

USS Fort Worth from the Star-Telegram

#14 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Turned out to be a beautiful ship....

AND A GAME CHANGER....GO NAVY...AND GO U.S.A!

#15 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:39 AM

Commander of USS Fort Worth relieved of duty for failure to follow procedures:

http://www.star-tele...le69022687.html

Ship drive gear component allowed to run out of oil.

#16 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

Navy sidelines first 4 LCS
This includes USS Fort Worth
Will not deploy overseas, becomes a test ship
http://breakingdefen...oyment-crewing/

#17 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:33 PM

Ah man. I followed a bunch of crew from the ship on social media and it was always interesting seeing the exotic Southeast Asian countries they'd visit. Guess that's done.

#18 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 12:32 PM

The USS Fort Worth, along with several of its sister ships, is being mothballed.

https://www.pogo.org...of-concurrency/

#19 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 02:50 PM

The USS Fort Worth, along with several of its sister ships, is being mothballed.

Just on Nov 12 Kay Granger was tweeting how proud she was to support the USS Fort Worth "at every opportunity"

#20 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:51 PM

LCS (Littoral Combat Ship) was a dumb idea from the start.

#21 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:04 PM

The USS Fort Worth isn't even a decade old. What a waste!

I wonder what makes Fort Worth and its early LCS sister ships so bad. There are several newer LCS ships that are remaining in the fleet, and there are even a few LCS ships under construction.

Before I was a member of this forum, I participated in another forum's discussion about USS Fort Worth's commissioning in Galveston. I even watched part of the ceremony.

-Dylan

#22 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:04 PM

I don't see this as the travesty the article portrays.  The article hammers home the point that "the Pentagon should sail a fully developed ship before buying a bunch of them."  Well, you don't just build a "fully developed ship."  You design the ship, build one or two prototypes as part of the development process, work out the kinks in the design, then go into production.  The idea with this program was they planned to take the two prototypes in each class and make them operational.

The reason these ships are being decommissioned is that they were early builds of the two variants and are too different from the later editions of the variants (the ones with the kinks worked out).  Basically, there are two ships in each of the LCS classes that are prototypes.  They intended them to be operational, but it would cost too much to make them fully operational.  So in the end the navy recognized that they were after all prototype builds.

If they had called them prototypes from the beginning, there wouldn't be any scandal here.

My blog: Doohickie

#23 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 04:53 PM

LCS (Littoral Combat Ship) was a dumb idea from the start.

Perhaps the LCS wasn't a dumb idea, after all.

https://nationalinte...at-ships-174902

Part of the LCS advantage also rests upon its maneuverability attributes which include an ability to reach speeds of forty knots and access coastal areas and island chains more effectively than deeper draft ships.

This is particularly relevant in areas such as the Pacific region which includes the highly-contested South China Sea island areas

#24 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 04:57 PM

The U.S. Navy's Littoral Combat Ships Could Control Drone Fleets

https://nationalinte...e-fleets-174904

#25 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 04:21 PM

Evidently this didn't work either. Congress denied the decommissioning of the U.S.S. Fort Worth in 2022, but the Navy has asked to decommission the Fort Worth and 8 of her sister ships in 2023. 

https://news.usni.or...-early-disposal

#26 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 01 April 2022 - 05:06 AM

Evidently this didn't work either. Congress denied the decommissioning of the U.S.S. Fort Worth in 2022, but the Navy has asked to decommission the Fort Worth and 8 of her sister ships in 2023. 

https://news.usni.or...-early-disposal

Not just Fort Worth.  Milwaukee, St. Louis...seems the Navy just doesn't care to keep ships named after cities!

#27 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 02:53 PM

spared.... but for how long?

https://www.star-tel...e260023165.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users