15 replies to this topic

#1 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:31 AM

Yet another 2:30am photorambling from your ol' pal Lobster.. Somehow late hours inspire me to share my vast bizarre collection of downtown-obsessed-fueled downtown observations .. please do let me know if these are not very interesting.. here goes:

Where can you get incredible downtown views COMBINED WITH the worst apartment layout of the last four decades all rolled into one?! Why, look no further than the Historic Electric Building! Their famed #1806 unit is going for $2200/mo but if the idea of a 19th floor rooftop deck excites you, the $700 monthly electric bill and ridiculous layout and creepy remnants of the past tenant will bring you back to earth pretty quickly ----

Not sure who lived there last, but they need to seriously be questioned in a dark room while a mag light is shining directly into their eyes. Here we have a toilet cover with an iron lone-star theme that looks like it was stolen from the Reata.. and on the wall, a handy map of the STATE of TEXAS -- GLUED to the wall -- so while you're doing your business you can perhaps marvel at the shape of Deaf Smith County .. hours of fun! ( Posted Image )

Posted Image

kitchen is up a flight of narrow stairs .. this spot is usually where the loft bedroom portion of other '06s are..
Posted Image

up another two flights to the rest.. movers would have a fine day!
Posted Image

steppin' outside -- now that's a different story
Posted Image

awesome views..
Posted Image

Winner: Most Obscure Adaptation of a Non-Functioning Water Tank by a Duet or Group, 1995 (Do they have such awards at architectual galas, John?) .. They incorporated an old water tank into the function of the apartment by transforming it into a bedroom closet... an interesting idea and nice way to salvage something and make functional space of it -- however, 1. it splits the bathroom into two annoying and non-connecting halves: shower & bath (on right) vs. toilet & sink (on left), 2. wooden barn doors? Trés Industriale, O Alexander Company of Wisconsin!
Posted Image

#2 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:31 AM

They've raised the price on that place. I almost rented it in 1999 for $1600, but went with the Reserve on Henderson instead. You're right...the layout is CRAZY.

#3 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:24 PM

1. it splits the bathroom into two annoying and non-connecting halves: shower & bath (on right) vs. toilet & sink (on left),

I think the bathroom configuration could be considered “European;” I've rented a number of apartments in Russia and the bathrooms were always described as European if the toilet or toilet and sink were in their own room.

#4 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 03:05 PM

1. it splits the bathroom into two annoying and non-connecting halves: shower & bath (on right) vs. toilet & sink (on left),

I think the bathroom configuration could be considered “European;” I've rented a number of apartments in Russia and the bathrooms were always described as European if the toilet or toilet and sink were in their own room.

View Post

..it's fine that they're separated in their own room, but isn't the room w/ the toilet usually connected to or at least nearby the rest of the bathroom? I should have gotten a wider pic to illustrate that the water tower closet separates the two making them far enough away from each other to be classified as "obscure style" than "european style"

#5 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 10:01 AM

I noticed they took down the sign that said coming soon, been up for a long time... They replaced with a sign for leasing. Also noticed they cleaned-up one of the vacant retail spots on 7th st. New management firm?

#6 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:40 AM

I noticed they took down the sign that said coming soon, been up for a long time... They replaced with a sign for leasing.  Also noticed they cleaned-up one of the vacant retail spots on 7th st.  New management firm?

View Post

aww!! They took that sign down?!?!!
A huge 20 foot high sign mounted to the Lamar/7th corner that said "Coming soon, FALL 1995" .. I was hoping the sign would last at least until it's 10 year anniversary.. :( .. that place is such a joke ..

stay tuned..

#7 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:03 PM

I actually toured that "famed" penthouse myself. Price is outrageous but the views are KILLER. They also have nobody to pick up trash, and GUAROWNTEED one parking spot only. The style of Texas/Western chic was atrocious. I've heard that an FBI agent once settled there, so it could be bugged for their enjoyment. ICK!
The floors below were priced much better and had interesting layouts and views too.

The retail on the street level was being renovated by the Alexander Group. Very nice price on it, but I don't think I can place a restaurant in there, Code issues (ventahoods, bathrooms, security) and all. Wonderful layout, art deco with an elegant marble vintage staircase, and non finished mezzanine. Would make a nice Martini bar addition to 7th street with promising nearby condo res. from the Tower and neil P. All for a fraction of the cost in the Tower comm'l space.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#8 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:12 PM

The retail on the street level was being renovated by the Alexander Group. Very nice price on it, but I don't think I can place a restaurant in there, Code issues (ventahoods, bathrooms, security) and all. Wonderful layout, art deco with an elegant marble vintage staircase, and non finished mezzanine.

View Post

don't be fooled by the building's original grandeur .. the Alexander Group is in Wisconsin and they have no clue (or care?) as to how horrible of a shape that bldg is in.. it really had the potential to be one of fw's great renovation projects but they failed miserably and it's not very well taken care of... there's a reason why the shipping place is relocating come October.. poor guy couldn't take the abuse anymore..

btw their spot on 7th you're talking about does have ADA bathrooms -- installed in '95.. they're tucked down a hallway behind the staircase... those three outlines of arched portals on the back wall used to be the entrances into the Hollywood Theatre...

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:20 PM

It is really a shame how the Hollywood Theater space was mutilated for a parking garage. The outcome was a result from Alexander or other parties not being able to secure all of the parking required for the building in another lot or garage. When the project was first discussed, they thought that a deal could be struck with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram to build a parking garage that would serve both businesses on the half block across 6th Street to the north. If that would have happened, there would have been a chance to save the theater.

#10 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:34 PM

The retail on the street level was being renovated by the Alexander Group. Very nice price on it, but I don't think I can place a restaurant in there, Code issues (ventahoods, bathrooms, security) and all. Wonderful layout, art deco with an elegant marble vintage staircase, and non finished mezzanine.

View Post

don't be fooled by the building's original grandeur .. the Alexander Group is in Wisconsin and they have no clue (or care?) as to how horrible of a shape that bldg is in.. it really had the potential to be one of fw's great renovation projects but they failed miserably and it's not very well taken care of... there's a reason why the shipping place is relocating come October.. poor guy couldn't take the abuse anymore..

btw their spot on 7th you're talking about does have ADA bathrooms -- installed in '95.. they're tucked down a hallway behind the staircase... those three outlines of arched portals on the back wall used to be the entrances into the Hollywood Theatre...

View Post

The A Group are taking bold steps in their attempt to give life back into it. Slowly but surely is what they say. I did see the actual tin piece moldings which I was told were replicated at a St. Louis manuf. who worked on the originals. Very nice, and why are they going to whitewash them, I don't know? They must have a Tom Sawyer fetish. They could have gone down to Mexico and get them exacted for a fraction of the cost. But that is the miscommunication and non savviness you get from a mid-western company who want to deal with THEIR OWN. Michael, an Alexander rep got a sweet deal in showcasing the propt. I think he flies in one week a month from Mad"town"ison, WI at U of W, and keeps tabs on the historical accuracy and maintenance of the place. College roommate is an Alexander. SWEET!

He did show us the HUGE doors kept shut, and some IDIOT who operated a power point or projection screen presentation, decided to NAIL on a screen for presentations. Those were some nice looking doors and he was not too sure if they opened to anything or if it was bricked up behind em. It did have the appearance to a theater entrance though. There is some mezzanine renovations going on, would make a nice bar lounge. Or a true VIP.

Did you :( with the spacious 30 foot ceiling beyond the arched entry way, as I did. Gorgeous place, would make a nice bistro style area for a night time jazzy crowd, live music and such. Have to alter some acoustics though.

Yes, I do believe the restrooms are ADA approved, but they will be shared with that brokerage company and whoever else is on that arrangement. I did not like that the business hallways would be opened up for a night crowd, possible loitering. And it possibly needs more fire exits for a restaurant.

If I had my way, I would buy the whole entire street level, and put a diner on the corner of Burnett and 7th, where the brokerage firm is situated. Then I would jazz up the renovated area for night time entertainment.

Do you think those huge doors are closed off from the now parking garage?
www.iheartfw.com

#11 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:35 PM

It is really a shame how the Hollywood Theater space was mutilated for a parking garage.  The outcome was a result from Alexander or other parties not being able to secure all of the parking required for the building in another lot or garage.  When the project was first discussed, they thought that a deal could be struck with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram to build a parking garage that would serve both businesses on the half block across 6th Street to the north.  If that would have happened, there would have been a chance to save the theater.

View Post

Thanks John, you just answerd my Q in mid-post.
www.iheartfw.com

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:42 PM

Safly, I do have more on the theater. Even before Alexander came in and mutilated it, the First National Bank of Fort Worth (or whatever their name was at the time), leveled the floor and put a mini-bank lobby inside the old theater space. The concrete was poured right next to the intricate plaster walls of the theater. When you are in the parking garage, you can see where the old doors were infilled just below the ceiling of the balcony inside the parking garage. The beautiful plaster ceiling below the balcony is intact, and then a new gypsum board ceiling was suspended from that point to the back wall. From what I have seen when I have been in there, the original side walls and ceiling exist from that point upward.

#13 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 08:14 PM

Safly, I do have more on the theater.  Even before Alexander came in and mutilated it, the First National Bank of Fort Worth (or whatever their name was at the time), leveled the floor and put a mini-bank lobby inside the old theater space.  The concrete was poured right next to the intricate plaster walls of the theater.  When you are in the parking garage, you can see where the old doors were infilled just below the ceiling of the balcony inside the parking garage.  The beautiful plaster ceiling below the balcony is intact, and then a new gypsum board ceiling was suspended from that point to the back wall.  From what I have seen when I have been in there, the original side walls and ceiling exist from that point upward.

View Post

do you have pic's that could possibly explain in better detail. Alexander Group offered to hand over b-prints. I have not heard from them since the move. ;)

And I am babbling on just to see if all the new posts are by me. Thank you. My Forum FIRST if it does happen when I click on SEND. Ok, here it goes...... :o
www.iheartfw.com

#14 rubbercow

rubbercow

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:23 AM

Does anyone have the floorplan scan of the penthouse apartment at the Historic Electric Building? I used to have the print, but seem to have lost it over the years. I've done a poor search, and coincidently turned up this thread dealing with the exact matter.

#15 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:19 PM

I don't think the Apt. mgmt. has a floor scan. I have pic's. If they did then I would have em on file. I can get them from the Alexander Group. Will take some time though.
www.iheartfw.com

#16 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Looking for the Electric Building Root thread:

It would appear the building is now Bank Owned, what ever sits at 400 W. 6th and 7th street.

400 W. 6th Street: 71838 Sq. ft., built 1968

400 W. 7th Street: 109300 Sq. ft., built 1945

Two buildings, bank owned.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, West 7th Street, Show Row, Historic Buildings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users