319 replies to this topic

#101 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:39 PM

That's real unfortunate. TCU and Near Southside hospitals have torn down literally hundreds of homes over recent decades in order to expand.

• JBB likes this

-Dylan

#102 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

And now a plan to build over some parking.  TCU is planning a new facility for the music school that includes a concert hall:

http://www.star-tele...e189471584.html

#103 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:42 PM

And now a plan to build over some parking.  TCU is planning a new facility for the music school that includes a concert hall:

This new facility could really add to the preliminary recital offerings for the Cliburn Competition, as well as other smaller ensemble performances. It would be great if TCU could establish or partner with another entity to sponsor a specialized ensemble like the Orchestra of New Spain over in Dallas. 

#104 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:47 PM

Johnson County's premiere piano competition?

#105 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:41 AM

How do you turn word completion off on this platform?  :mad:

#106 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:51 AM

It definitely looks like it will be a lovely facility.  I love the "cocoon" design of the current PepsiCo Recital Hall, but this new concert hall looks like it could take on larger audiences than the current recital hall.  Plus I doubt any of the current fine arts facilities would be replaced, anyways.

That said, TCU also has the Ed Landreth Auditorium for performances with larger audiences, but that facility is older and does seem a little bland on the inside from a design standpoint (at least compared to the newer PepsiCo Recital Hall and the Hays Theatre), although the front area of the auditorium and the stage do seem beautiful in their own way. Furthermore, the Landreth auditorium probably wasn't designed specifically with concerts and recitals in mind (though the Cliburn competition used the Landreth for quite some time before Bass Hall opened), since the facility can have other uses.  Other parts of the College of Fine Arts also use the Ed Landreth Auditorium (namely the TCU School of Classical and Contemporary Dance, although smaller dance performances can be accommodated in Erma Lowe Hall), along with the University for some functions and events like Convocation.

Hopefully this will be a facility that helps to better unify and consolidate the School of Music, as their classrooms and facilities are currently spread out across campus (the Walsh/Ed Landreth complex, Jarvis Hall, and between Bellaire North and Berry).

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#107 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:00 AM

Another great Alamo Bowl comeback win for the Frogs last night in the prime time game on ESPN. In a great moment of foreshadowing, one of the announcers said shortly after TCU went down 21-3 that you can never count them out in the Alamo Bowl. Attendance this year was the lowest the game had seen since 2010, but it was still only down a little less than 7000 from the near sell out in the game 2 years ago. TCU football definitely seems to be on an upswing. Next year should be another exciting season.

#108 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:59 AM

If the basketball team wins on Saturday, TCU will be the only school in the country with all three of its men's teams in the major sports ranked in the top 10.  That's a fairly remarkable statistic, especially for a small school.

#109 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:18 PM

I watched part of that comeback! Redemptive for sure. Still holding out for the big prize--don't know if I'd rather see that happen before or after college football finally has real play-offs.

The sports array at TCU is certainly compelling, I hadn't realized the big 3 men's teams were so successful. School spirit is very important, it helps attract other benefits, too, and I have to say I'm more encouraged to learn the music department is getting the upgrades mentioned in the thread earlier. What about art? 

The intangibles are hard to measure and frequently show little "return" on investment, but I think these music, art, english, philosophy etc degree plans are as important engineering, computer science and medicine. but.... does Fort Worth have a technology partnership with TCU (and UTA) that would draw those high profile work groups to town? Incubators or Work Study or Unicorn or whatever it's called today, but the city and it's universities have programs energized by and symbiotic with companies.... like Texas Instruments and UTD. 

With all the energy potential in West Texas, I still think Fort Worth could be the "Houston" of the Texas Renewable energy sector: Wind & Sun. The best way to pull all those decision makers to town are with the most highly regarded university education. 

#110 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

Gary Patterson is an announcer on ESPN's Coaches Film Room for the college football playoff games tonight. It's an alternative broadcast where 6 D-1 coaches offer commentary as the game is shown live. Patterson was outstanding during the first game and got a lot of love on Twitter. After seeing OU twice this season, he was able to call the majority of their plays before they happened. He's a little more understated during the second game, but it's still worth watching.

#111 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:35 PM

I've been watching fr two hours now. Great way to vedge off the last bits of winter break.

#112 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:09 PM

University prepares for 5 major capital projects
https://thisweek.tcu...pital-projects/

#113 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:50 PM

www.tcuinhidef.com

East side Amon Carter plans further defined

#114 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:02 PM

TCU announces that they have entered into an agreement to lease the land at McCart and Berry for a hotel.  The lease is good for 50 years with 2 10 year renewals available.  TCU would have a say on the hotel brand which is expected to serve those dealing with the university as well as other visitors.

#115 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

Parking lot 12? That's a nice location, not far from the TEXrail stop.

#116 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:27 PM

This is definitely needed in the neighborhood.  It might spur more development on Berry Street.

#117 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:41 PM

I wonder what the height restrictions are in that neighborhood?  There are about 3.4 acres of land to work with.

#118 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

This is within the Berry/University Form Based Code district.  Zoning = BU-IX-6.  Requirements: Minimum height is 2 stories.  Six stories or 75 feet max. in actual height is permitted within this zone.  If you have Storm Water Management tradeoffs, you are permitted to build up to 10 stories with a maximum height of 125 feet.

#119 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:37 AM

Although I'm excited for this new hotel, at the same time, I expect that TCU will have to find more space for parking lots since even what they currently have does not seem sufficient for the commuter students and staff.  While the Sandage lot wasn't the most utilized, losing it is going to hurt especially once you consider the parking lot they are taking out near Brite to build the new recital hall.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#120 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:00 AM

I would surprised if there's not a parking garage in the works for somewhere east of University.

#121 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

It feels like you're a fish getting stalked by sharks when they see you walking through the commuter parking lots, hoping that you're leaving. They just slowly follow behind you in their cars. They should have just build a parking garage.

#122 Cody C

Cody C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

Here's the link to all the announcements- https://newsevents.t...u/stories/2821/

Rumor is that Sadler Hall (the main administration building) will be turned into academic space. It's alluded to in the article but not mentioned specifically. The thought is that buildings in the middle of campus should be for academic/student purposes and support services can be moved to the periphery. 

They're also looking to raise $750M to mostly go to the endowment. The goal is to make the university more accessible to all potential students regardless of income. Long term they want to double the endowment (currently about $1.5B) to make that possible. 

#123 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:58 AM

Here's the link to all the announcements- https://newsevents.t...u/stories/2821/

Rumor is that Sadler Hall (the main administration building) will be turned into academic space. It's alluded to in the article but not mentioned specifically. The thought is that buildings in the middle of campus should be for academic/student purposes and support services can be moved to the periphery. 

They're also looking to raise $750M to mostly go to the endowment. The goal is to make the university more accessible to all potential students regardless of income. Long term they want to double the endowment (currently about $1.5B) to make that possible. 

Yeah the ultimate goal would be to compete with a school like Vanderbilt, which has a policy that if you can get in based on the academics, and you have financial needs, the school takes care of it.  They don't want anyone getting loans or having money be the problem.  Vandy's endowment is a bit over $4 billion.  TCU has some wood to chop.

#124 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

The hotel:

TCU%20hotel_zpszwhpch0k.jpg

TCU%20hotel2_zpstjavomo3.jpg

TCU%20hotel3_zps9f0cz31o.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#125 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:36 PM

couldnt see any images

#126 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:39 PM

DdMxrGZVwAAiJms.jpg

DdMxrGkV4AAE2bh.jpg

DdMxrGjU8AAtlWC.jpg

#127 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:00 PM

couldnt see any images

Huh? 

I can see them just fine. 

7fwPZnE.png

#128 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:18 PM

Austin reposted them.  Yours are showing the Photobucket 3rd party hosting error.

#129 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:40 PM

Oh... that crap. -_-

7fwPZnE.png

#130 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:05 PM

couldnt see any images

Huh? I can see them just fine. 

Photobucket is just one of many photo hosting sites to crack down (or shut down) on users posting to internet forums.

The first photo hosting site I used (Webshots) fell under a few years ago. The second photo hosting site I used (Slickpic) started off by adding a small text watermark, then decided they would add a giant banner to the bottom quarter of any new picture I post. Other photo hosting sites have gone down, and some sites impose viewership limits that are out of an uploader's control.

I've given up on traditional photo hosting sites. Too many of them have taken down pictures posted to internet forums. That said, I do post videos from YouTube (a video hosting site), but YouTube is far more stable than any traditional photo hosting site.

I'm not sure what photo host Austin uses, but I assume it's a popular social media site. My 3rd party ad-blockers block them (though, for some reason, not YouTube videos or pictures on traditional photo hosting sites). I have to view Austin's pictures in a different browser.

-Dylan

#131 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:54 PM

Also here's the new Admin building and pedestrianized Bellaire. 

Screen-Shot-2018-03-09-at-2.52.09-PM.png

#132 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:18 PM

I know this is completely off topic, but these universities are closing all of the heavily traveled bicycle routes on the South Side.  Look at the north/south bicycle traffic through the TCU campus on the Strava Global Heat Map.  Wabash is the main bicycle crossing point of Berry Street west of University Drive.  A few years ago, the Baptist Seminary requested for the removal of the W. Gambrell St. crossing at the BNSF Railroad Tracks.  This was an additional railroad crossing one block south of W. Seminary Drive.  This was also the main route for cyclists living in the South Side neighborhoods to make a connection into South Hills and to points further to the southwest.  

#133 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:00 AM

I know this is completely off topic, but these universities are closing all of the heavily traveled bicycle routes on the South Side.  Look at the north/south bicycle traffic through the TCU campus on the Strava Global Heat Map.  Wabash is the main bicycle crossing point of Berry Street west of University Drive.  A few years ago, the Baptist Seminary requested for the removal of the W. Gambrell St. crossing at the BNSF Railroad Tracks.  This was an additional railroad crossing one block south of W. Seminary Drive.  This was also the main route for cyclists living in the South Side neighborhoods to make a connection into South Hills and to points further to the southwest.  

I asked Jungus Jordan about that crossing (Gambrell) and he said the city is trying to eliminate all at-grade crossings.  From my new place I would have used that Gambrell crossing routinely.  Instead it funnels me up to Seminary, where I take the lane until 8th Ave.

As for Wabash... my crossing points are typically Lubbock or University itself.  There's a bike lane from Bowie north, and south of there I just take the lane (all the way down to Butler/Winfield).  I can't remember ever having trouble with the motor traffic.

My blog: Doohickie

#134 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:10 AM

It's been awhile since I've been in this area. What would this replace?

#135 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:37 AM

It's been awhile since I've been in this area. What would this replace?

I believe space that currently has a small music building on it and parking lots.

#136 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

Before TCU began its massive expansion, the street grid carried through between W. Berry and Bellaire Dr. N.  Odessa went through, but the median blocked traffic from crossing Berry.  Wabash and Rogers now continue through between the two streets.  The westernmost portion of the site had an old apartment complex on it and the block bounded by Bellaire Dr. N., Wabash, W. Berry, and Odessa had houses on it.  It now has a parking lot, and Odessa does not go through.  Txbornviking is correct, the block bounded by Bellaire, Rogers, Berry, and Wabash now also has parking lots on it, a small music building, TCU Human Resources, and one house.

Doohickie, I have been cycling in Fort Worth for over 40 years, and even before my accident, I actually preferred to take alternate parallel side streets over the main arterials.  Since my bicycle accident, I don't ride much and I'm not on the roads.  

I have heard some city officials say that they would like to get rid of all at-grade railroad crossings.  In theory, that would be a good idea, but very expensive to build bridges and tunnels everywhere.  The crossing closure at West Gambrell, also coincides with the silent crossing at W. Seminary.  Silent crossings do not have another one within a certain distance, and I'm sure Gambrell was within that zone.  

#137 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:43 AM

Doohickie, I have been cycling in Fort Worth for over 40 years, and even before my accident, I actually preferred to take alternate parallel side streets over the main arterials.  Since my bicycle accident, I don't ride much and I'm not on the roads.

I tend to prefer the side streets too, but I feel confident/comfortable on University.  Maybe because traffic already expects heavy pedestrian traffic in that area, it seems pretty chill in that area.

I have heard some city officials say that they would like to get rid of all at-grade railroad crossings.  In theory, that would be a good idea, but very expensive to build bridges and tunnels everywhere.  The crossing closure at West Gambrell, also coincides with the silent crossing at W. Seminary.  Silent crossings do not have another one within a certain distance, and I'm sure Gambrell was within that zone.

Interesting. I did not know that about the silent crossings.  You mention building bridges; I think the city is more of the mindset of doing what was done on Gambrell:  Eliminate crossings altogether.

#138 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:54 AM

Yes, I agree the city would prefer to eliminate crossings.  However, you can't eliminate them all.  Also, there is some point where life safety plays a factor with fire, police, and ambulance access.  If you eliminate too many, then response times will increase. 

It looks like I have derailed this thread.  Please pardon the pun.

#139 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

You have Texas Summer humor:  Very dry.  :D

#140 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:15 AM

Looks like another crane up on Greek Housing along Bellaire

#141 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

Seems that at some point TCU purchased the old church at 2701 Berry and will be using it as office space.

http://www.fortworth...vchofchrist.htm

#142 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:07 PM

It was converted to office space several years ago.  You can see the multi-tenant sign on streetview.

#143 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:45 PM

You can see the multi-tenant sign on streetview from 2007.  So yeah, it's been a while.

Is it actually owned by TCU now?

#144 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:58 PM

I should revise the listing, since the church is no longer there.

#145 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

Not owned by TCU according to TAD, but their site is slow to update.

#146 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

I have revised the listing on the website to the best that I can.  The La Mancha Business Centre's website says that they are closed due to a change in ownership.

#147 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:58 AM

Lots of real estate around TCU is not owned directly by the university but by people connected to the university

#148 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:19 PM

Does this appear to be space that is owned by someone else, and TCU is leasing it for office space until they move those uses into an on-campus building? Or do you guys think that TCU actually bought that former church/office complex and is likely to use it going forward. 

Not that important - just curious since they have a lot of buildings under construction I could see how they might lease space off site during construction. 

#149 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:27 PM

The ownership information on TAD is a little confusing, but none of it reflects that it's currently in TCU's name.

#150 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 01:05 PM

Salsa Limon Unversidad is closing. They say they are looking for a new location. Gotta wonder if the landowner there is running folks off. First Record Town, now Salsa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users