4 replies to this topic

#1 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Beautiful day today, so I went out with the camera to capture the Formula 1 buzz in downtown Austin. Hope you like the tour...

Posted Image

Austin has added multiple high rise buildings since I moved here in 2007 (latest count, 10 I think). And they've all been residential. Here's a couple of biggies:

Posted Image

Some street scenes downtown:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The new federal courthouse which is about to open. it fronts on Republic Park. A bit of history: The square which is now Republic Park is where slaves were bought and sold in Austin before the civil war.

Posted Image

Austin's new W hotel downtown. Quite busy this weekend.

Posted Image

The Formula 1 race was this weekend here in Austin. My understanding it's something like NASCAR for rich foreigners.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope Fort Worth's Sundance Plaza interior ring ends up looking something like a sidewalk culture in the pics below with a view of the new plaza (I'm very excited about the new plaza for Fort Worth):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think this is BMW's latest SUV, the X-Skittle-i. :)

Posted Image

Below is Austin's City Hall. Sort of like a deconstructed version of Fort Worth's Soviet bloc style city hall.

Posted Image

Adios from the capital...!

Posted Image

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

Nice Shots! I've been planning to go back down to Austin for the last 6 months. Maybe, over the holidays, I might make it. It's interesting how Urban Outfitters mounted their sign to the wall.

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

As a huge fan, your description of Formula one caused me to cringe quite badly, haha. I had wanted to go but the nearest hotel with empty rooms at a decent price was in New Braunfels or someplace. Maybe next year.

Austin is a really unique place, its growth is mind boggling, I hope Fort Worth can take a few ideas out of whats going on down south.

#4 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

Great pictures! My sister lives in Austin, so we get down there occasionally. Went with her to the Lonestar Kustoms show a couple years ago, and the subsequent gathering of hot rods on Congress St. - lots of fun!
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#5 dfwerdoc

dfwerdoc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:hockey, cars, architecture, photography, everything and anything apple, medicine.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

great pics. the architecture of the W in austin is finally growing on me. it's a 400 million dollar project vs 160million here in dallas which i think has a much better looking building.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users