#1 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

Tulsa Shock to move to DFW

Well, here's our chance for the Fort Worth Cowgirls...

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:10 PM

The headline now just says Dallas. Guessing they will play at the AAC or maybe Frisco's Dr. Pepper Arena or the Allen event center.

#3 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:02 PM

maybe Frisco's Dr. Pepper Arena or the Allen event center.

That was my first thought.

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:55 PM

Here's the average attendances.  The highest is 9,557, lowest is 5,474. AEC seats probably over 6,500, Dr. Pepper arena at 4,500. Both are actually rather small. The AAC at 19,200 is a bit big, but they have pursued WNBA teams and even has seperate locker rooms designed for womens teams. 

In Fort Worth, The UFO downtown has 11,200, which seems like it could be a rather appropriate number actually. However it's time is limited. The old WRMC is at 6k and the new at what, 14?

DFW has a TON of venues to play in really. There's also UTA's College Park Center, SMU's Moody Coliseuam, TCU's Daniel Meyer, Dallas's convention center arena, that place TCU has been playing, a few others out there.

#5 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:49 AM

The headline now just says Dallas. Guessing they will play at the AAC or maybe Frisco's Dr. Pepper Arena or the Allen event center.

But it did say "Dallas-Ft. Worth" in the article.

And assuming what's going on at the convention center arena, it's not out of possibility.

7fwPZnE.png

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:09 AM

Tulsa Shock to move to DFW

Well, here's our chance for the Fort Worth Cowgirls...

I think all has been said by the facts - a city should not place its bet upon professional sporting businesses.  Fort Worth is in the enviable position and should stay put of not having to subsidize extremely rich team owners who will and do relocate for the next "greener pasture".

I will gladly watch, with satisfaction, these teams and with taxes in pocket if interest somehow takes a hold of me.

#7 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:31 PM

Last November Bloomberg reported revenue was down in the NBA . Mostly due to lagging ticket sales and sponsorship. To be honest I did not even know the WNBA was still functioning ? You cannot even get Mavs games in local TV like you use to. If WNBA moves to Fort Worth . I don't think it be worth any tax incentives. And to renamerusk point.  They would likely move to another city in a few years anyway. They moved out of Tulsa. Why would they not ever move out of Fort Worth ?

#8 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:41 PM

Any team owner with any business sense will look at FW's recent history with their semi-pro sports franchises and run the other direction as fast as possible. They ran off a reasonably successful niche hockey franchise in favor of a NBA D-league team that ran for the 'burbs as fast as they could. The Cats were doomed by the bad investments of one of their owners, but there wasn't much of an effort to save the team when they still seemed to be a decent draw. I get that this might be another animal since it is a national professional league, but we're still talking about a team that's averaging 5000 a game in a nice arena. I would be shocked if they didn't already have a deal to use one of the previously mentioned arenas in Frisco or Allen.

#9 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:21 PM

I won't be holding my breath, of course, but as far as taxes and whatnot, goes, remember... it's the WNBA. 

I doubt it'll cost that much to keep them and it's not like the owner will be asking for a $700 facility... and even if he did, he'd get laughed out of North Texas.

7fwPZnE.png

#10 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:12 PM

Any team owner with any business sense will look at FW's recent history with their semi-pro sports franchises and run the other direction as fast as possible. They ran off a reasonably successful niche hockey franchise in favor of a NBA D-league team that ran for the 'burbs as fast as they could. The Cats were doomed by the bad investments of one of their owners, but there wasn't much of an effort to save the team when they still seemed to be a decent draw. I get that this might be another animal since it is a national professional league, but we're still talking about a team that's averaging 5000 a game in a nice arena. I would be shocked if they didn't already have a deal to use one of the previously mentioned arenas in Frisco or Allen.

I don't think you can compare minor league hockey and hoops with the highest level of women's basketball.

I think just like TCU football, people will turn out if you give them something to see. In the past that meant the occasional big game against fellow mid-majors Utah, Boise State or BYU. Now that they are in the Big 12, I try to go to every home game even though I graduated from another university.

I think they could be very successful in Fort Worth or Arlington.

#11 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

Yeah, I know it's not the best comparison.

According to the S-T, they're playing at College Park at UTA and the league has approved the move.

#12 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:38 PM

Well, never mind then.

The Arlington (or Dallas, really) Shock are here.

7fwPZnE.png

#13 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

Dallas it is.  Wished they played at SMU or UT-Dallas instead of in Arlington at my beloved UTA.  :glare:  :ninja:

http://www.slamonlin...TeXfCb2kBLvc.97

#14 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:19 PM

They have a name,

The Dallas Wings. 

Ugh. 

#15 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:33 PM

When I was watching FOX 4's Good Day this morning, two people associated with this team kept saying how much they loved Dallas, how wonderful Dallas is, how Dallas will be a great audience, how wonderful it will be to represent Dallas, etc. They mentioned Dallas over a dozen times in the span of about 3 minutes. Arlington was mentioned two or three times, and Fort Worth was completely ignored. Afterwards, I sent one of them a message not realizing they named the team "Dallas."

-Dylan

#16 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:47 PM

When I was watching FOX 4's Good Day this morning, two people associated with this team kept saying how much they loved Dallas, how wonderful Dallas is, how Dallas will be a great audience, how wonderful it will be to represent Dallas, etc. They mentioned Dallas over a dozen times in the span of about 3 minutes. Arlington was mentioned two or three times, and Fort Worth was completely ignored. ....they named the team "Dallas."

And of course, FOX4 failed to correct them, right?  It would be refreshing if Good Day had helped them out with some geography and not allowing those statements to go by without correcting their guest in a friendly manner. It is certainly the case that utterances like these have has not been made in the presents of FOX4; so how could FOX4 repeatedly demonstrate such a blind eye?   UTA is a state institution, but that aside, were there any Arlington officials at the UTA event?  

I think that this organization is already off to a shaky PR campaign and will probably find this out - I would say that they have a steep learning curve ahead of them.

#17 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:31 PM

To be fair, FOX 4 (or at least meteorologist Evan Andrews) did try to remedy the situation.

Evan brought up the Fort Worth skycam every few minutes after the interview.

-Dylan

#18 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:36 PM

When I was watching FOX 4's Good Day this morning, two people associated with this team kept saying how much they loved Dallas, how wonderful Dallas is, how Dallas will be a great audience, how wonderful it will be to represent Dallas, etc. They mentioned Dallas over a dozen times in the span of about 3 minutes. Arlington was mentioned two or three times, and Fort Worth was completely ignored. Afterwards, I sent one of them a message not realizing they named the team "Dallas."

In a broad geographic sense, all of north Texas is "Dallas" to the rest of the country.  I see a whole lot of butt-hurt in this thread when none was intended.

• JBB likes this
My blog: Doohickie

#19 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:06 PM

In a broad geographic sense, all of north Texas is "Dallas" to the rest of the country.  I see a whole lot of butt-hurt in this thread when none was intended.

There is a sad truth to what you are saying in regards "to the rest of the country"; however the local media really does know better.  It may not make economic sense, but it would make public relations sense for a company that is considering to relocate to a new region to make an effort to get to know about the neighborhoods and towns within a region. 

I would be comfortable in suggesting that region sensitivities are common everywhere.  I just heard someone remark about the Kansas City Royals MLB team - the person living in that region insisted that the team should be consider as home to both the Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO.

Companies seem to be ignorant of these sensitivities; and that can often be a poor first impression when courting the support from the entire region.

#20 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

To be fair, FOX 4 (or at least meteorologist Evan Andrews) did try to remedy the situation.

Evan brought up the Fort Worth skycam every few minutes after the interview.

That's quite a leap to assume that one thing was a result of the other. They regularly show and refer to the Fort Worth skyline on their show.

#21 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:29 PM

After that interview, the Fort Worth skycam (pointed towards the Bass towers and 777 Main) was shown about a half-dozen times in the span of about 20 minutes. That's much more frequently than usual. FOX 4 usually alternates between the Fort Worth skycam and several Dallas skycams.

-Dylan

#22 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:38 PM

That's a problem that should be corrected. A major city like Fort Worth should be nationally recognized.

-Dylan

#23 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:07 PM

That's a problem that should be corrected. A major city like Fort Worth should be nationally recognized.

Why?

If projections are accurate, in about a generation Fort Worth will be bigger than Dallas.  If that's truly going to happen, why worry about what people think?  As long as they're coming here, it's all good.  Personally, I kind of like the "best kept secret" aspect of Fort Worth relative to Dallas.  People may move to the region thinking DALLAS-fort worth, but once they discover the Fort, a lot of them prefer this side of the Metroplex.

#24 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:45 AM

Yes, but it would be nice if Fort Worth could get at least one notable professional sports team.  Actually, I think sports promoters are missing a good entrepreneurial opportunity by not getting Fort Worth into the football or basketball business, and in the same league as Dallas.  If our team were competitive, think of the marketing opportunities for a Dallas-Fort Worth sports rivalry!

#25 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:07 AM

What, like the Fort Worth Cats and the Grand Prairie Air Hogs?

I think for now anyway, the dream of having a professional team bear a Fort Worth monicker is just not very feasible.  It was nice when the Cats were active, but really if someone from Ft Worth wants to see baseball they drive to Arlington.  I think the same is true for all the major sports.  The only possible target I could see for a Ft Worth sports team that would rival a team in Dallas would be soccer, but it would need a strong advocate in Fort Worth to champion the idea.

The fact that we and Dallas share a TV market pretty much dooms us to sharing sports teams.  The only cities that have multiple teams are the mega-cities (NYC, LA, Chicago).  We have a large city here, but I just don't see the push toward Ft Worth having its own team in any sport.

#26 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:03 AM

What, like the Fort Worth Cats and the Grand Prairie Air Hogs?

I think for now anyway, the dream of having a professional team bear a Fort Worth monicker is just not very feasible.  It was nice when the Cats were active, but really if someone from Ft Worth wants to see baseball they drive to Arlington.  I think the same is true for all the major sports.  The only possible target I could see for a Ft Worth sports team that would rival a team in Dallas would be soccer, but it would need a strong advocate in Fort Worth to champion the idea.

The fact that we and Dallas share a TV market pretty much dooms us to sharing sports teams.  The only cities that have multiple teams are the mega-cities (NYC, LA, Chicago).  We have a large city here, but I just don't see the push toward Ft Worth having its own team in any sport.

You're right to a point, and we all have discussed this issue ad infinitum in previous posts.  But, let's not forget that the Oakland-San Francisco market is probably even closer to being considered as one market {only 15 miles separate the cities) than our metroplex's and yet Oakland won a pro football sports franchise long ago.  I think it's lack of will and initiative--for whatever reason--by FW's wealthy and powerful more than anything.

#27 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:27 AM

Agree.  That's what I meant when I mentioned someone to champion the idea.  I could champion it, or you could, but without some money to throw around it will never get traction.

#28 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:29 AM

I'll say this, too:  One of the things I like about Fort Worth is that it's not Dallas but it's near Dallas.  We have some music, some theater, some great museums, etc.  We have solid medical facilities.  We have a very cool and accessible downtown.  We're missing a few things, but they're no more than an hour's drive away, and I'd rather live in a city that's a little smaller but has far less congestion.

#29 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:43 PM

TCU is Fort Worth's team.  

#30 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:05 PM

Troof.

#31 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:02 AM

Why?

If projections are accurate, in about a generation Fort Worth will be bigger than Dallas.  If that's truly going to happen, why worry about what people think?  As long as they're coming here, it's all good.  Personally, I kind of like the "best kept secret" aspect of Fort Worth relative to Dallas.  People may move to the region thinking DALLAS-fort worth, but once they discover the Fort, a lot of them prefer this side of the Metroplex.

If we want more urban development in Fort Worth's urban core and an even stronger downtown, we need people and developers to recognize us as a major city.

-Dylan

#32 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:58 AM

I'll say this, too:  One of the things I like about Fort Worth is that it's not Dallas but it's near Dallas.  We have some music, some theater, some great museums, etc.  We have solid medical facilities.  We have a very cool and accessible downtown.  We're missing a few things, but they're no more than an hour's drive away, and I'd rather live in a city that's a little smaller but has far less congestion.

I'd rather not drive an hour or more for those things and have them in my own city, but that's just my own selfish opinion. 

As far as the name goes, I'm not shocked in the slightest. I had a feeling that when they said they would place the team in Arlington, "Dallas" would be the choice city for it. But it is a little disappointing that we can't even have a WNBA team and I felt that it was our best shot. 

I guess the one good thing I can say is, at least it's a thoughtful, creative, good looking logo. 

1607_dallas__wings-primary-2016.png

7fwPZnE.png

#33 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:13 AM

Sorry that Fort Worth missed the opportunity to land the franchise and gain all the national recognition and flourishing tourism Tulsa has been receiving. Everyone I know had been talking about what a great city Tulsa must be to have a WNBA franchise.

You're right to a point, and we all have discussed this issue ad infinitum in previous posts.  But, let's not forget that the Oakland-San Francisco market is probably even closer to being considered as one market {only 15 miles separate the cities) than our metroplex's and yet Oakland won a pro football sports franchise long ago.  I think it's lack of will and initiative--for whatever reason--by FW's wealthy and powerful more than anything.

The Raiders and Athletics have long histories with a fan-base that was well-established before professional sports in the US became what it is today. If they did not already exist, I'm not sure even the most energetic and passionate tech magnate could easily get a franchise there.

#34 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:11 AM

I think one of the major hurdles to having Fort Worth host a major sports team (other than lacking a local visionary with money and initiative) is that the "metroplex psyche" (my coin of phrase for how we all think of DFW) is this:  Dallas gets the sports teams in it's own name, with the exception of the Texas Rangers.  Arlington hosts most of them, except for the Mavericks and Stars.  And the rest of us in the metroplex play cheer leader.  And we all seem to be satisfied--and happy, I guess--with this arrangement.

#35 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:13 PM

I think one of the major hurdles to having Fort Worth host a major sports team (other than lacking a local visionary with money and initiative) is that the "metroplex psyche"......

It is a bit more basic than that.  The four major sports league are a monopoly.  By controlling the supply, their value increases.  The leagues have also carved up the the country into territorial markets and ownership of the rights to these market.  And finally, the leagues have balanced divisions, the exception being the NHL. Money and initiative are simply not the issue; but it does come into play when or if ever one of the market with team comes available.

The Major Soccer League, still in its early development, gives Fort Worth a ground floor opportunity to host its own franchise.

#36 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:48 AM

You're right about the difficulty of creating a new team out of the existing leagues, but maybe purchasing a franchise that's leaving another locale.  Soccer?  Which league is that?

#37 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:02 AM

Major League Soccer. Consists of 20 teams around the country, most notably the LA Galaxy, Seattle Sounders, and, locally at least, FC Dallas. I would agree that an expansion involving one of their teams is the best chance for FW to get a pro franchise. A local individual purchasing a franchise from another league is a huge long shot. Football is almost entirely out of the question. No one would want to or could compete with the Cowboys established fan base and Jerry Jones wields more than enough power to make sure such a deal would never get approved. The other 3 major sports would face similar opposition, but I would think their leagues would be more likely to get behind such a deal, with baseball maybe being the hardest sell since the Rangers are already in Tarrant County.

#38 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:22 AM

From the point of view of the sports leagues, I can't imagine what Fort Worth would offer.  They don't bring a new TV market.  Their potential fan base is already aligned with the Dallas/Arlington teams, there's just no money in it.  Even for a new sport (i.e., not currently in north Texas) like the WNBA it makes sense to align the team with the biggest population center which continues to be Dallas.

#39 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:24 AM

I have a hard time seeing the MLS adding another team to the DFW market.  

#40 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

From the point of view of the sports leagues, I can't imagine what Fort Worth would offer.  They don't bring a new TV market.  Their potential fan base is already aligned with the Dallas/Arlington teams, there's just no money in it.  Even for a new sport (i.e., not currently in north Texas) like the WNBA it makes sense to align the team with the biggest population center which continues to be Dallas.

I have a hard time seeing the MLS adding another team to the DFW market.  

Where is the line stipulating that North Texas is the Dallas Market alone?

I understand that for the "four" so called major sporting leagues, it is all about monopoly.  For example, the NFL considers all of Texas, Houston obviously excluded, Oklahoma and half of New Mexico the territorial rights of the Cowboys. 

Soccer, it seems to me, is different. The pace of the game does not broadcast well and it seems to be equally game and a fan base pep rally;and its fan base is more localized than territorial.  You could have a team for Fort Worth, El Paso, Austin and San Antonio as well as for Plano and Houston. The huge Latino population base throughout the state would be sufficient to support multiple teams.  Were it not for the fact that Farrington Field prohibits the sell of alcohol, Fort Worth would have an attractive arena and a local fan base ready to support the team. 

I am surprise that Dallas would not seek a team for its Cotton Bowl stadium, given the enormous soccer fan base in the southern, eastern and western portions of that city.

#41 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:53 PM

The problem: Fort Worth already has two major sports teams in its metro division, but neither of them are named Fort Worth.

-Dylan

#42 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:46 PM

It's true that Fort Worth is already part of a major market. But the thing is... how many other markets are available that would be desirable? With DFW growing and already being one of the 5 largest metropolitan areas in the country, it's more likely those leagues would look here before they go to El Paso or Norfolk or Birmingham.

As for the MLS, it's still likely that Fort Worth could get a team. But of course, we'd have to wait in line for that one.  

7fwPZnE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users