• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:31 AM

I posted about this site in the "ideas and suggestions for new projects" forum last year (LINK), but with some new intel I think the commercial forum may be the most appropriate for this topic moving forward.   

The site includes a former grocery store (most recently, a Kroger) that has been vacant for years, and a small Conoco station on the corner of Camp Bowie & Clayton Road, about a half-mile east of the new dog park at Z Boaz.

Recently, the sign out front of the property changed to reflect that Fort Worth-based Woodcrest Brokerage Services is now representing the property.  My wife asked the man at the Conoco station about it, and he told her that both he and the owners of the abandoned store had sold for terms that were extremely pleasing to him.  He said the new owners were looking to develop the property with retail and restaurant options. 

I drive by this site just about every day, so I'll keep an eye out for any changes/signs of progress.

#2 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:53 AM

Thanks.  I've been wondering if that vacant building would ever be re-occupied.  I live not too far from there.  Is there a problem with its particular location?  Long time ago, I believe, this was a Clarks Department Store and then a Target store, then later Kroger, none of whom apparently liked staying at this spot.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:36 AM

Thank you for the information.  I had noticed the sign had changed, and I also know the guy at the gas station.  However, I had not been in to visit with him since the sign had changed.  I work in the area now.  Back in November of 2011, our firm relocated our offices to the old Levitz Warehouse.  I drive down this stretch of Camp Bowie nearly every day.  Back in the other topic under "Ideas and Suggestions for Projects", I gave a brief history of the site.  I will repeat it below.

It was the site of the old Western Hills Hotel, which occupied the entire block.  It burned in September 1969 and was demolished in 1970.  The old grocery store was built shortly thereafter for a Skaggs Albertsons Food & Drug Center.  It was later Skaggs Alpha Beta, Skaggs, Jewel-Osco, back to Albertson's, then Max, Winn-Dixie, and finally Kroger.  I also bet that I've missed a few names, as well.  All of the buildings in that block on the Camp Bowie side are the result of redevelopment of the old hotel site. 

The old Cook's and Clark's Department Stores once occupied the eastern portion of the center where the Tom Thumb is currently located.  The old department store was demolished to build the current Tom Thumb.  Crystal's Pizza also used to be located in the portion of the building that was demolished.  Even though I grew up on the South Side of the city, my family spent many weekends shopping along Camp Bowie.

#4 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:46 AM

There is a private Montessori school on Clayton Road that currently uses the lot for parking.  It will be interesting to see if that function is taken into account/protected at all by the new owners and development.  

#5 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:36 PM

good news!!!

#6 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:36 AM

Thank you for the information.  I had noticed the sign had changed, and I also know the guy at the gas station.  However, I had not been in to visit with him since the sign had changed.  I work in the area now.  Back in November of 2011, our firm relocated our offices to the old Levitz Warehouse.  I drive down this stretch of Camp Bowie nearly every day.  Back in the other topic under "Ideas and Suggestions for Projects", I gave a brief history of the site.  I will repeat it below.

It was the site of the old Western Hills Hotel, which occupied the entire block.  It burned in September 1969 and was demolished in 1970.  The old grocery store was built shortly thereafter for a Skaggs Albertsons Food & Drug Center.  It was later Skaggs Alpha Beta, Skaggs, Jewel-Osco, back to Albertson's, then Max, Winn-Dixie, and finally Kroger.  I also bet that I've missed a few names, as well.  All of the buildings in that block on the Camp Bowie side are the result of redevelopment of the old hotel site. 

The old Cook's and Clark's Department Stores once occupied the eastern portion of the center where the Tom Thumb is currently located.  The old department store was demolished to build the current Tom Thumb.  Crystal's Pizza also used to be located in the portion of the building that was demolished.  Even though I grew up on the South Side of the city, my family spent many weekends shopping along Camp Bowie.

Thanks for refreshing my memory about where Clark's Department Store used to be (I get some of these shopping centers mixed up in my childhood memories.).

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:49 PM

You're welcome.  I did some checking and in the effort of trying to be accurate, only about one half of the old department store was demolished to build Tom Thumb.  Between the time Clark's closed and the Tom Thumb was added, the center was remodeled,  This is when Crystal's occupied part of the old department store.  What is left of the old store now houses Stein Mart, Sally Beauty Supply, and part of Goody Goody Liquor, along with Tuesday Morning in the basement. 

#8 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:36 PM

I drove by this site earlier this evening.  The gas station appears to be closed down.

#9 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:48 PM

There is a construction fence up around the gas station, and what I thought were demolition crews working on it.

Then this afternoon, I heard a rumor that it is being converted into a RaceTrac, and that the bigger building is being looked at by German grocery chain Lidl as part of their planned US expansion.  

#10 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:25 AM

A RaceTrac representative met with the Ridglea Hills Neighborhood Association last night.  Here are some bullet points from their presentation:

• They met with Camp Bowie Inc.

• Came in with a conventional plan with pumps on Camp Bowie, but then modified those plans to look more inviting by
-Having an enclosed patio facing Camp Bowie with roll-up glass garage doors
-The 8 dispensers (16 fueling stations) will face the interior
• He emphasized that there will be nice architecture and that they have fresh food and great coffee (the coffee is available 24/7 to uniformed police officers)
• The store will be open 24/7 and sell beer and wine. It will be well-lit, but won’t interfere with the neighborhood
• Signage will be a monument sign
• They are under contract now and look to build starting the 3rd quarter of 2017
• There will be a wide sidewalk, trees, shrubs and a pedestrian friendly area

Here's a link to the meeting's minutes, which also included a QT rep discussing their proposed project at Camp Bowie & Westridge

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:07 PM

The case for the RaceTrac is going before the Urban Design Commission on Thursday:

UDC-16-35 6495 Camp Bowie Blvd     Camp Bowie Owner/Agent: RaceTrac/Jarod Cox Request approval of a commercial building with waivers from parking lot location, elevation requirements.

#12 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

I live in Ridglea Hills, and we've been told the Racetrac/Lidl information as well. While I'm not wild about yet another gas station, just about anything is better than a vacant building at this point. I am excited about the possibility of Lidl, though!

#13 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

The old gas station is completely gone now.

#14 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:03 AM

An update.  Construction has started at this site.  I believe a new restaurant. But someone correct me if that is not the case.

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:42 AM

I thought is was still a RaceTrac.  I work right down the street in the old Levitz Warehouse, and I drive down that stretch of Camp Bowie almost every day.  I thought the rendering that had been posted on the site had a gas station on it.  I will try to take a look this evening on my way to an AIA meeting.

#16 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

It is still a RaceTrac.  They have a sign on the corner with a rendering.

#17 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

An update.  Construction has started at this site.  I believe a new restaurant. But someone correct me if that is not the case.

It is still a RaceTrac.  They have a sign on the corner with a rendering.

RaceTrac serves food, right?  :ninja:

• JBB likes this
My blog: Doohickie

#18 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:56 PM

If roller grill snacks qualify as "food", yes.

#19 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:54 PM

:D

I haven't been in a RaceTrac lately but I know QT actually has a grill and a live cook in addition to the roller grills.

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:42 PM

I thought the RaceTrac rendering was still on the corner, and I can also verify that it is still there.  So, I would assume that Racetrac is still building their gas station/convenience store at that location.

#21 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:10 AM

Ridglea hills neighborhood Facebook notes the old building is being rehabbed and will reopen as multi tenet use.

#22 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:33 AM

I drove by there last week and noticed the rehab work is proceeding.  I'm glad it will be multi-tenant because a supermarket is apparently ill-suited for that location.

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:37 PM

According to zoning agenda there are plans for a brewery at the abandoned grocer.

#24 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:51 PM

Where exactly is this?

#25 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:56 AM

Wild Acre Brewing Company will take 3000 s.f. of the old Kroger for a brewpub.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#26 M2guy

M2guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

Article attached.

https://www.fwweekly...econd-location/

#27 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:07 PM

Awesome news!!!

#28 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:26 PM

I saw that.  Wild Acre puts out some good beer.

#29 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:13 PM

I'd ready that Joe Riscky may be moving with them.

Anyone else heard about that? Could be quite the family show down with him and his family's joint being 1/2mile from each other.

#30 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:38 PM

Could be quite the family show down with him and his family's joint being 1/2mile from each other.

Eh, not so sure.  I think Joe is appealing to a different demographic than Riscky's (craft versus mass market bbq).

#31 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:05 PM

I've seen this first hand over the years in my neighborhoods in Hell's Kitchen, Brooklyn, Albany, and Austin.  The evolution of a neighborhood.  I remember when my bus from Ridglea Country Club Estates used to pass by this building, which was Skaggs Alpha Beta at the time, to take us to Monnig Middle School, which I loved and had a great time and received a wonderful education.  I'm so glad the site is getting new life.  The neighborhood around is so fantastic.  I hope the development is wildly successful. 

#32 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:17 PM

I posted this over in the brewery thread, but I will repeat it here and then I have some other news regarding the building.  Wild Acre still has not opened as of yet.  The construction is proceeding slowly.  Today, I noticed a Colonel's Bicycles sign has been put up on the front of the building.

#33 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:39 PM

Wild Acre is now open for curbside pickup.  The article also mentions a couple of the other spaces within the building.

https://www.papercit...pens-fort-worth

#34 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:26 PM

I've seen PaperCity a few times over the last few weeks and a paper copy has actually shown up in our home mailbox as well.

Does anyone know who they are? Seems to fall into the vein of 360 West, Ft Worth Magazine, 76107 Magazine etc. I would think this is a rather crowded niche market, but perhaps I'm wrong.

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:28 PM

Txbornviking, I thought you might be commenting on the opening of Wild Acre or the look of the space.

#36 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:32 AM

I was heartened when this former Kroger supermarket was remodeled and back open for business.  I applaud Wild Acre Brewery and the other occupants for struggling to serve the consumer during these trying times.

#37 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:09 AM

Txbornviking, I thought you might be commenting on the opening of Wild Acre or the look of the space.

Sorry for asking off topic, but I am looking forward to eventually being able to check out Wild Acre. My wife and I were big fans of the sandwiches at Dagwoods before they closed and I think I've heard/read the that is who Wild Acre has partnered with for their food/sandwich offering. YUM and CHEERS!

#38 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:52 AM

No, it was perfectly acceptable to ask about PaperCity.  Unfortunately, I do not know anything about them. 

Even though his buildings are mostly utilitarian warehouses, we should applaud Bruce Conti.  He has taken several old and vacant warehouses or stores and converted them into useful and active buildings.  He has properties all over town, but some of the more notable renovations were the old Target Store on Cherry Lane and I-30, the old Levitz Warehouse at the far end of Camp Bowie Blvd., and the old Skaggs Alberstons/Kroger Store a few blocks to the east of Levitz.  Bruce Conti is our landlord over at the Levitz Warehouse at 6913 Camp Bowie and our office is right next door to his.  

The old Kroger Store is another success story.  It is almost fully occupied with a mix of tenants.  The northwest corner of the site was sold off, so the new Racetrac could be built.  Wild Acre is 3,000 square feet with a full kitchen and it will have a patio in front of the brewery.  Txbornviking, you can actually partake of their sandwiches right now by doing the curbside pickup.  Next door to Wild Acre is the Lazy Daisy Coffee Bar and they are the only coffee shop this far west on Camp Bowie.  Until the shutdown, they were always busy when I had been in there. Work Space Connect is the executive office suite tenant that runs all the way down the east side of the building.  Fastenal relocated from our building to take the center space in the old store.  It runs all the way through.  However, they have a service corridor that connects to a loading entrance on the west side of the building.  In the northwest corner is SunSmart Windows and Doors.  The middle of the west side has some type of gym there.  Finally, in the southwest corner is DesignPlex, which is a medical manufacturing facility.

#39 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:39 PM

I drove by this place the other day and there were a lot of people sitting outside at Wild Acre.  I hadn't really noticed that this was finished until that day and it looked pretty lively even with the covid limitations going on.  Although at some places I have eaten at there doesn't seem to be any noticeable social distancing or reduction or capacity... I'm talking about you Woodshed

#40 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:58 PM

I will agree that most places appear to my untrained eye to not be social distancing.  However, I'm not going to go check these places out for fear of my own chances of catching the virus.  I'm 62, and had some major respiratory issues from my accident in 2016, and I'm not planning to be out at a restaurant or bar anytime in the foreseeable future.  I will admit, it is getting kind of lonely around here, but I'm managing.

#41 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 11:56 AM

Went to Wild Acre on Saturday--it was fantastic and social distancing was in effect.

The return of Dagwoods was my main theme that day and the Reuben sandwich did not disappoint.

The have a specialty beer on tap for a brewer who passed.  It has key lime in it, but it isn't sweet and was dang good.  Even got a growler to go with the beer.  A portion of the proceeds goes to the man's family.

#42 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:36 PM

It's good to know they were being responsible and encouraging social distancing.  It's also good to know that they were helping out the brewer's family.  I think they run a first class operation and I'm anxious to actually go over there and partake of the food and drink with friends, but I'm still a little hesitant on going out where crowds are present. 

Youngalum, since you always have an opinion, I'm curious of what you think of the Wild Acre space.  Please don't pull any punches. 

#43 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:36 PM

Our household grabbed some sandwiches to-go today from the folks at Wild Acre.

I'd say the staff was 50/50 on wearing a mask or not, but they did have a GIANT 5 gallon dispenser of hand sanitizer available as soon as you walked in.

I was wearing a mask and the workers kept their distance and got me my food in a manner I felt comfortable with. I do wish I had brought my growler because the Key Lime Pie Sour really did intrigue me.

For sandwiches we ordered:
The Camp Bowie BLT - a little heavy on the garlic aoli and the bacon could have been crispier for our liking

Muffaletta - middling for a muffeletta IMO

The Reuben - dang good with a nice spicy kick

The Godfather (basically a Cuban) - damn good and will certainly order again

we just wished the dagwood folks could bring back their pretzel crack dessert.... mmmmmm

but all-in-all, good vibe on the venue. seemed safe today. I'm looking forward to the day we can actually go and enjoy the place and all it has to offer.

#44 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:48 AM

I will have to go and try out their Reuben sandwich since it is getting so much love on here...  I am kind of partial to them because I love sauerkraut and Reuben sandwiches in general and also because my name is Reuben as well.   :laugh:

#45 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:57 AM

It's good to know they were being responsible and encouraging social distancing.  It's also good to know that they were helping out the brewer's family.  I think they run a first class operation and I'm anxious to actually go over there and partake of the food and drink with friends, but I'm still a little hesitant on going out where crowds are present. 

Youngalum, since you always have an opinion, I'm curious of what you think of the Wild Acre space.  Please don't pull any punches. 

I like it and think sharing the bathrooms with the coffee space was brilliant.  The bar space is a little large for what will be mainly table seating and outdoor seating.  Wish the outdoor space was a little larger with a retractable awning if possible.

Good clean lines and I like the openness of the space and the mural. 

#46 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:50 AM

Youngalum, I'm glad you liked the space and you thought it turned out well.  You said you wished the patio was larger.  Everything in that space was based on a variance from the City to allow a brewery in that building.  The owner had to apply for that variance before anything was designed and he based everything on what he thought would be appropriate at the time.  The variance does still allow for the patio to be covered, but that same variance also limited the size of the patio and the size of the brewery. 

#47 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:31 AM

Wild Acre is 3,000 square feet with a full kitchen and it will have a patio in front of the brewery.  Txbornviking, you can actually partake of their sandwiches right now by doing the curbside pickup.  Next door to Wild Acre is the Lazy Daisy Coffee Bar and they are the only coffee shop this far west on Camp Bowie.  Until the shutdown, they were always busy when I had been in there.

I rode by there yesterday and stopped in.  I got there too early for Wild Acre; they weren't open yet.  So I went into Lazy Daisy and had a cappuccino.  Just about every table was occupied.

By the time I finished my coffee, Wild Acre was open.  I ordered a beer and a sandwich.  They actually have beef on weck, a Buffalo specialty sandwich.  I ordered that.  It was pretty close to the Buffalo concept of beef on weck, but the Kimmelweck bun wasn't quite right.  You could probably get a beef on weck in Buffalo on a similar bun, but it would be an outlier.  (For reference, the Buffalo Bros. beef on weck is spot on).  They *did* commit the cardinal sin of putting cheese on the sandwich.  Buffalo beef on weck never ever has cheese on it.

CSQt4emu7jy8O-_n7Ru6So7wegxgtIGKDIz_ojyB

I really like the building renovation, John.  Great job. 

#48 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:43 AM

Thanks, Doohickie.  However, please note that Halbach-Dietz Architects did not do the design work on the building's facade.  I would not have done it that way.  I think the colors are too dark, and it appears there is some inappropriate use of some materials.  My firm did design and plan almost all of the interiors in the building, including Lazy Daisy and Wild Acre. I produced all of the drawings for the owner to get the zoning variance to have Wild Acre for a tenant including getting the approval for that outdoor patio.  When we proceeded into the construction documents, I actually designed the patio, per the owner's instructions to what he wanted.  It was a fun project. 

I'm just glad that our landlord in our building had enough foresight to purchase the old Skaggs Albertsons/Kroger store and renovate it into a multi-retail and office type of structure.

#49 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:15 AM

They actually have beef on weck, a Buffalo specialty sandwich.

Not to wander too far off topic, but I make it to Duff's Wings up in Southlake occasionally and I just happened to have lunch there on Monday. I noticed they have a beef on weck (no cheese) on their menu. I would try it one day, but I go there for the wings. It's easily my favorite wing place in the area.

#50 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:31 AM

Thanks, Doohickie.  However, please note that Halbach-Dietz Architects did not do the design work on the building's facade.  I would not have done it that way.  I think the colors are too dark, and it appears there is some inappropriate use of some materials. 

Looking at an exterior photo on google maps (below link), did they use a faux wood ceramic floor tile on the façade?  If so, that's a lot of tile, I wonder how much that material weighs as a whole?  Ceramic sort of scares me if anyone accidentally bumps into it how forgiving is that going to be not to mention how it will respond to the elements over time if you were to get any moisture behind it or if the grout starts weeping gunk.  Would be curious to know the backstory on that material selection because I've thought about doing something similar inside my house but on a much smaller scale.  Our neighbor moved and gave me a ton of really nice 12x24 tile.

façade:

https://goo.gl/maps/QCXEatkB8vG1428i7

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ridglea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users