#51 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

I have always not been a fan of putting classifieds here. Maybe some others could weigh in.

If we did split Bicycling off into it's own category, where should it be placed? As a subforum under "Professional Sports and Recreational Activities"? Or should it be elevated to its own forum category under the larger heading of "Websites and Other Things". How about some more thoughts?

#52 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

I have always not been a fan of putting classifieds here. Maybe some others could weigh in.

If we did split Bicycling off into it's own category, where should it be placed? As a subforum under "Professional Sports and Recreational Activities"? Or should it be elevated to its own forum category under the larger heading of "Websites and Other Things". How about some more thoughts?

Why not a section under web sites and other things.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#53 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

David, which one are you referring? Classifieds or Bicycling?

#54 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

Classifieds are what Crisglist is for. The only time I have ever seen them work successfully in a message board is if the ads are strictly limited to a VERY narrow range of products or services that are of particular relevance to the topics being discussed. Thus for a forum about vintage clocks, a classified section for those providing clock restoration services and those seeking/selling clocks and spare parts might be useful. But I cannot think of anything similar that would be applicable for the people who post here who tend to be a rather diverse lot.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#55 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

Classifieds are what Crisglist is for. The only time I have ever seen them work successfully in a message board is if the ads are strictly limited to a VERY narrow range of products or services that are of particular relevance to the topics being discussed. Thus for a forum about vintage clocks, a classified section for those providing clock restoration services and those seeking/selling clocks and spare parts might be useful. But I cannot think of anything similar that would be applicable for the people who post here who tend to be a rather diverse lot.

What's the harm? It can be a sub forum that you never visit if you don't think it works well.

#56 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

What's the harm? It can be a sub forum that you never visit if you don't think it works well.

Not sure that there would be any actual HARM. It's more of an issue of what's the point and what's the focus?

If the classifieds are just for random merchandise of any sort whatsoever, this board would not be a particularly attractive place to place such a listing. People don't come here for the purpose of purchasing random stuff. People DO go to places such as Craigslist for that purpose. And Craigslist is broken down by category making it easier for people to find what they are looking for. Posting a general merchandise classified here would not likely generate all that many views. Only a very small subset of people who visit this forum would likely wish to browse though listings of random stuff.

As I mentioned before, if one could identify some sort of focus for classifieds in an area where there is sufficient interest on the board, under those circumstances it might be viabble. There is a message board I visit for owners of Internet radio stations - and it has a classified section that is strictly limited to products and services used by such broadcasters. There is a message board I visit about early 1900s topics where there is a strong interest level in vintage clothing - and it has a classified section for people who wish to sell vintage clothes. In both cases, you have a narrow audience that shares a common area of interest and that uses various products and services in pursuit of that interest. I think it would be difficult to find any similar sort of common area of interest among those who visit this board. There is, of course, an interest in architecture and, to a slightly lesser degree, history. But are there enough goods and services being offered that cater to such interest to justify a classifieds section? Maybe books and events of various kinds. But people can already promote books and events in existing threads where they are far more likely to be effective than in a classified section.

And if a section of the board has really slow traffic, it is not a good thing for the board as a whole. If a board is not updated with fresh postings on a regular basis, people tend to get out of the habit of following it. And message boards in general have been in decline over the past few years - in part due to the success of Facebook. The fact that this one still has healthy traffic says a lot on its behalf. A message board with lots of sub forms of only limited interest to most regular visitors makes for a somewhat cumbersome and user unfriendly experience. And a message board with lots of sub forums with very limited traffic tends not to make a good impression on first time visitors - people who are needed to make up for the attrition that any message board is necessarily going to have over time.

Finally, a classified section would require a certain amount of work and planning on part of the board administrators. How long are postings going to be allowed to remain up - and who is going to be responsible for removing them if the initial poster fails to do so in a timely manner? What sorts of merchandise and services will and will not be allowed? Would someone be able to promote their lawn mowing service? If so, would someone else be able to promote their get rich quick scheme? If it is merchandise only, would someone be able to promote their Amway or multi-level marketing vitamin supplements, weight loss pills and water filters? What is the line between legitimate postings and spam?

Again, my point was that I just don't see what the focus is either for such classifieds as a whole or in terms of the board's larger focus. If you have something to sell, your odds are going to be much greater on Craigslist or ebay. If you have something you wish to give away for free or wish to find something for free, there is Freecycle at http://groups.freecy...cycle/posts/all and a similar local group at: http://groups.yahoo....WorthFreeStuff/

You can't be all things to all people. My thought is it makes sense for the board to focus on those things which make it unique and that it does well rather than attempt to offer a service that others are already providing elsewhere and are able to do a far better job of than this board is in a position to do.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#57 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

I hadn't commented on classifieds because the idea underwhelmed me. I thought to let it die from attention. But, I think there are plenty of places to advertise your merchandise on the internet. Unless is it is something specifically related to Fort Worth Architecture, and if it is I think an occasional post in a relevant topic would be overlooked by the ownership. A page for name-brand chotchkes direct from china, male endurance pills and work at home business oppportunities is not something this site is hurting for.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#58 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

I agree with AndyN and Dismuke. I was hoping the idea would kind of die with the thread. I've always been real reluctant to start new forum categories. Even with my keen interest in bicycles, I still haven't started a category just on Bicycling. This has been suggested by several forum members. The reason why I haven't split it off is due to lack of interest when it had its own forum.

#59 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

Not for the forum, but for the website and for the Historic Photos area: How about a stand-alone section in each area for BRIDGES of Fort Worth? They are certainly architecture, but a special class, perhaps deserving of their own section. I would like to see one or more of our talented photographers put together a portfolio collection of the significant bridges of Fort Worth that could populate the new sections.

#60 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

I'm sorry for taking so long to reply, but I had always planned for a section that included other types of structures, but since I never have completed all of the buildings in other parts of town, that was put on the back burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users