#701 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

I don't think Ron lives in Fort Worth.
 I'm glad y'all found each other to debate with. Keeps me from tilting at windmills.

I don’t live within the city limits of Fort Worth. I live within 40 miles of downtown Fort Worth.
A healthly debate is always good for everyone in the exercise of freedom of speech.

#702 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:45 PM

I don't think Ron lives in Fort Worth.
 I'm glad y'all found each other to debate with. Keeps me from tilting at windmills.

I don’t live within the city limits of Fort Worth. I live within 40 miles of downtown Fort Worth.
A healthly debate is always good for everyone in the exercise of freedom of speech.

Hardly anything healthy about trolling.

#703 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:49 PM

DART light rail trains are not named after Dallas. Passenger rail lines are rarely named after the city (or cities) they operate in.

I'm fine with "TEX Rail" being the name of our new commuter line.

- Dylan

#704 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:58 PM

DART light rail trains are not named after Dallas. Passenger rail lines are rarely named after the city (or cities) they operate in.

I'm fine with "TEX Rail" being the name of our new commuter line.

If DART rail is not Dallas Area Rapid Transit then what is it?  DART is geo-specific to the Dallas Area; and stipulates so.

The acronym is such that you think it is Texas Rail; but it is not,  it is Tarrant Express Rail.

Tarrant Express is geo-specific to Tarrant County and environs; and it is right to stipulate so just as DART does.

#705 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:07 PM

Perhaps we should promote the name "Tarrant Express Rail" more. But if people think "TEX" stands for Texas... well, we are in Texas. :)

- Dylan

#706 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:03 PM

Perhaps we should promote the name "Tarrant Express Rail" more. But if people think "TEX" stands for Texas... well, we are in Texas. :)

Exactly, that is my point!

Tarrant Express pinpoints its location; no confusion; no generality.

Somewhere, especially at each station should be inscribed the words "Tarrant Express - TEXRail".

#707 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:42 AM

It might be helpful if Tarrant Express Rail changed its logo from TE[red]X[/red]Rail to T[red]Ex[/red] Rail. Maybe that would be copying Fed[red]Ex[/red] to much for copyright infringement, but I believe more people will interpreted Ex as short for Express rather than EX.

Even changing TE[red]X[/red]to T[red]EX[/red] should make that clearer.

#708 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:00 PM

It might be helpful if Tarrant Express Rail changed its logo from TE[red]X[/red]Rail to T[red]Ex[/red] Rail. Maybe that would be copying Fed[red]Ex[/red] to much for copyright infringement, but I believe more people will interpreted Ex as short for Express rather than EX.

Even changing TE[red]X[/red]to T[red]EX[/red] should make that clearer.

Agree.  Highlighting the commuter rail line as a Tarrant County Project pinpoints to the residents of Tarrant County that we have something to call our own; and pinpointing that ought not be controversial.

I will not insist that the TexRail logo be eliminated, just that Tarrant Express be added and prominently displayed.

Inscribing "Tarrant Express" along the side of the rail cars and visibly placing "Tarrant Express" inside of the rail cars will have a psychologically inducement and greater awareness upon the public about public transportation within the county; and I believe that it will have an unifying, beneficial affect upon the communities within  county.

#709 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:43 PM

I'm surprised at the lack of TOD or any sort of master planning from around the Northside station. We're about a year out from opening, you'd think there'd be something by now? Even Berry St has tons of plans in place, and it isn't even known when that station will be completed. Obviously, there are developments going on in the Stockyards, but those aren't really that close to the station. According to NTCOG, 22% of the land within 1/2 mile of the station is vacant, and another 30% either industrial or low-density commercial. 

#710 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:32 AM

I'm surprised at the lack of TOD or any sort of master planning from around the Northside station.....

Not so surprising.  The Northside Station flaws were so evident from the beginning.  FWTA/DART goal to make the agency the owner/operator of the TOD superseded working with the Stockyards Developments.  Instead of being solely a transit agency, the agency also views itself as real estate developer. Tarrant Express' NS Station will be a sparsely used stop along the line.

#711 redblock

redblock

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:10 AM

FWTA is running a tour of TexRail progress using the Vintage Train.

They are posting pictures on the TEXRail website. Go to:

www.texrail.com

Then scroll down to the twitter feed.

#712 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:24 AM

I saw over the weekend that more vehicles were being delivered at the end of last week.  I'll be up near Grapevine this afternoon with a few minutes to spare, so I might swing by and see if I can see any of the Stadler units.

#713 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

Was in Grapevine last week. The TexRail equipment was just West of the depot. They had 3 units with a trap over the east end waiting for the fourth unit to be delivered and make a full set. Maybe they will take it for a spin after it is all hooked together.

#714 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

The most recent video update includes delivery footage of the railcar:

https://youtu.be/DpBoOjBH1wo

#715 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

Poorly lit pic of a vehicle in the Grapevine station.  All of the vehicles that I could see were lined up along the station on the east side of Main St. with the doors open.

IMG_1144-L.jpg

#716 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:48 PM

They must have received the fourth car to complete the first train. Being parked at the platform they may be planning to show off the interior to some VIP's

#717 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:33 PM

They did exactly that today.

#718 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:30 PM

Anyone know how long this will stay up?

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#719 redblock

redblock

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:31 AM

They must have received the fourth car to complete the first train. Being parked at the platform they may be planning to show off the interior to some VIP's

http://texrail.com

http://texrail.com now has a video of the ceremony on Nov. 6. FWTA used the tge Vintage Train to give VIPs a tour of the progress on TexRail.

Scroll down to the twitter feed.

#720 rriojas71

rriojas71

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:43 AM

http://texrail.comhttp://texrail.com now has a video of the ceremony on Nov. 6. FWTA used the tge Vintage Train to give VIPs a tour of the progress on TexRail.
Scroll down to the twitter feed.

It is funny that the man in the twitter video said “as the train passes through Dallas-Fort Worth, on through North Richland Hills...etc.”
Whaaaat? I didn’t’t realize this train was going through Dallas? SMH

Also, how many trains will be needed for this project... I was thinking possibly 4 at the max but maybe all they need is 2.

#721 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

From one of the project updates:

"∙Purchase of eight Stadler DMU FLIRT vehicles Fast Light Innovative Regional Train"

Not sure if that's 8 trains consisting of 4 coaches each or 2 trains consisting of the 8 vehicles purchased.

#722 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:26 PM

From one of the project updates:"∙Purchase of eight Stadler DMU FLIRT vehicles Fast Light Innovative Regional Train"Not sure if that's 8 trains consisting of 4 coaches each or 2 trains consisting of the 8 vehicles purchased.

Its 8 trains with 4 passenger coaches and 1 diesel power van each.
Stadler has built FLIRT trains with up to 6 passenger coaches in a single train.
The Stadler designed Class 745 to be built for England will have 12 passenger coaches in a single train.
The TexRail trains will match the largest FLIRT trains built to date with a diesel power van.

#723 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

How many trains will be operating at once?

#724 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:58 PM

I tried to get pictures of the TexRail trains on display this morning since classes were cancelled due to the shuttle bus driver losing it this morning, but they have fences up covering everything minus the tops of the trains. They have the same color scheme as the TRE or am I just blending them together in my mind? (same as the T busses) 

#725 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

Probably close to what DCTA uses with similar distances and frequencies. So I expect 4 to 5 trains running during peak rush hours and 2 to 3 trains running the rest of the day - with one train in standby available to fill in for the occasional breakdowns. One train will be set aside for maintenance - even if maintenance set aside is not needed everyday there will be plenty of days it will.

#726 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

Until recently, I've been thinking only four trains at a time during rush hour (two trains in each direction an hour).

I've seen drawings where platforms look a little too short to accommodate two trains coupled together. However, I can't find documents showing platform lengths anymore.

There is a lot of space between train doors and the end of each train, so platforms may not need to be the full length of two trains.

Now, I'm thinking 8 trains at a time during rush hour. Seems like a waste to order 8 trains if you only need 4 or 5 trains at a time.

- Dylan

#727 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:35 AM

Until recently, I've been thinking only four trains at a time during rush hour (two trains in each direction an hour).

I've seen drawings where platforms look a little too short to accommodate two trains coupled together. However, I can't find documents showing platform lengths anymore.

There is a lot of space between train doors and the end of each train, so platforms may not need to be the full length of two trains.

Now, I'm thinking 8 trains at a time during rush hour. Seems like a waste to order 8 trains if you only need 4 or 5 trains at a time.

The TexRail Flirts will be 266 feet long, the platform lengths should be a minimum of 266 feet long.

These trains will require refueling during the day if ran continuously. What they will do is pull the trains after the morning peak, place other trains on during the day and pull them before the afternoon peak, place the earlier trains on for the afternoon peak, etc. That way they don't run up too many miles. Then they can refuel all of them overnight. There will be one additional train as a spare in case one breaks down and needs to be pulled for an entire day for corrective maintenance so the train schedules aren't affected. 

Eight trains in their equipment roster isn't too many. 

https://wwwstadlerra...tr0415en_us.pdf

I'm going to have to dig through the FEIS to find the exact station platform lengths. 

The maximum length of any station platform from the beginning was 450 feet, but they always planned to build smaller (anywhere from 250-300 feet) and leave room for expansion later. Initial planning assumed 8 inches above the top of the rail for the platform height, but that was always subject to change depending upon the vehicle bought. Since they have bought the vehicles, the platform height will be 2 feet above the top of the rail (24 inches). The standard low floor height of a Stadler Flirt is 22 inches, so the platform will be about 2 inches higher than the train's floor at the door. The only platform length I could find in the Appendix E drawings of the FEIS was for the DFW Station, which will be 318 feet long initially, with room to expand to 450 feet later.

Even at 450 feet, the platforms will be too short to fit two 4 car Flirts. Therefore I think you are correct stating the platforms will be too short to run two existing 4 car Flirts. From  what I can gather over the web, 6 car DMU Flirts is a possibly in the future.  Maybe adding 2 more cars to the existing fleet or by buying brand new 6 car Flirts will be the expansion method chosen. I'm pretty sure a 6 car DMU Flirt would fit alongside a 450 feet long platform. 

Here's how I determined that. 

A regular (EMU) 4 car Flirt is 246 feet long

A regular (EMU) 6 car Flirt is 349 feet long

Math determining length of the DMU van.

266 - 246 = 20 feet

Therefore, adding 20 feet to 349 feet = 369 feet

If a 6 car DMU Flirt would be underpowered, adding a second DMU van and another 20 feet to the train should solve that problem, the train would be 389 feet long in that case. Still far short of the 450 feet reserved for platform length in their plans.

#728 elpingüino

elpingüino

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:28 PM

I think I've mentioned this before, but I'd like to see TEXRail focus on getting the southern leg done in segments. With the northern half, the main focus was always DFW too Downtown. With the Southern leg, there's not really much going on beyond TCU. It's only about 4 miles from the Berry Station too T&P station, but the two stops both have prime opportunity for TOD and are already fairly dense and I believe could support decent ridership. Connecting 3 of the biggest urban neighborhoods would really make a lot of sense to me... I'd like to see it done ASAP. 

Electricron can weigh in if I'm wrong, but my guess is that the southern extension (here's the original route) will have to extend all the way to Summer Creek/Sycamore School because a terminus station needs extra space (for trains to turn around, train storage, etc.) and that is the only site with enough land. I doubt the TCU/Berry site would be big enough. 

#729 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:31 PM

I'm not Electricon, but the TRE and TEX Rail trains don't turn around.  They have a cab on each end (more specifically a cab in the locomotive on the front end and a control cab on the last car for the TRE, the TEX Rail trains have a cab on each end).   And they'll go to the maintenance yard on the north side for storage.

#730 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:22 PM

Staging of trains on the southern terminus of TexRail will only need tail tracks. When they were discussing an overnight storage, they were still considering using TRE maintenance facility in Irving. I don’t think that need is as much with the TexRail maintenance facilities located in Fort Worth.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users