• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 02:33 AM

I don't know much about the history of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) but I did receive a letter from them earlier this year telling me that this is their 150th year of ministry. I guess they first met in 1855, which I guess is before Addison and Randolf Clark, founders of TCU, made it to Fort Worth. The Clarks founded my home church in Palestine, TX, in 1847 shortly after my city and county were formed. I don't know much about what the Clarks did between 1847 and 1873 except they went around Texas and founded more churches eventually ending up in Fort Worth to found what became TCU.
GO FROGS!!!

#2 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:29 AM

Interesting!

I work for First Presbyterian Church and we celebrated our 125th back in 1998. Our website has a history with some photos:
http://www.fpcfw.org/about/history.asp

#3 ladymcbeth

ladymcbeth

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:49 PM

In Force Without Fanfare, The Autobiography of K.M. Van Zandt on page 131 in the footnotes it mentions that "The First Chrisitian Church of Fort Worth was organized in 1855." In the same footnote it mentions Addison and Randolph Clark being founders of TCU which grew out of the school sponsored by K.M. Van Zandt and Carroll Peak. According to this book there were twenty-five to thirty members when the Van Zandts moved to Fort Worth after the Civil War. It was not a big church by any means but with population of Fort Worth at the time it was doing pretty well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users