#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:33 PM

I'm going to give the forum members a chance to influence the main portion of the site.  We will have to do these one at a time, but I would like to take suggestions from the forum members for either buildings to add to the site, or a suggested update of an existing building description with a new photograph.  My only request is that there be a general consensus on what to add or change.  It also may take me a little time to honor the request.  Please provide name of building and address.  If this works out, I will take more suggestions.  There is also a chance, I may already have a photograph of it.  There is a backlog on my part between taking pictures and updating pages.

Also, if there is anything breaking, or newsworthy happens in the meantime, I may update that item before I complete the suggested task.

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:29 AM

No one has given any suggestions.  The city is growing at a rapid rate and I work an 8-5 (or longer) job.  I still would like suggestions for buildings to list, or suggestions for buildings to remove.  Also, if you find a building has been demolished, please let me know.

#3 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:42 PM

I may have a few... And I'm glad you brought it up because the site is pretty outdated.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:56 PM

List them here.  I will put it in the corresponding area listing.  It may take a while to actually get the building description up, but if it is on the master list, then eventually I will get around to it. 

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:37 AM

You also have to remember that I run this site by myself and I work a full time job; therefore, things move rather slowly here.  I'm also a little hesitant to list the large apartment blocks that are being built right now, since they really don't seem to be that architecturally significant.  They do seem be be significant in the way that they are defining our urban fabric, but not so much from an architectural standpoint.

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:40 AM

In order to stay a little more current, I just added 1455-65 W. Magnolia to the site.

#7 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:45 PM

Honestly, one thing I would suggest is some kind of co-managed system to start off... (still thinking) 

I even thought about creating a completely new setup. I've been thinking about it for some months now and would like to come up with a new template or so... if you don't mind. 

7fwPZnE.png

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:13 PM

Jeriat, I would not mind, at all.  You know I have thought about redesigning the site, but I knew if I did that, there would probably be an extended amount of time where updates would not occur.  Honestly, I would appreciate the help.

#9 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:03 PM

Alright. I have to get my thoughts together (BUSY week, having to knock out projects) but either Friday night or Saturday, I'll give a map or some kind of visual aids to show what I fully would like to see here. 

7fwPZnE.png

#10 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:57 AM

Being pro-real estate (which, as an attorney, I like to practice, too), I've always been interested in your "Proposed and Under Construction" category (as well as the regrettable listing of unbuilt and dead projects).  You, of course, know that that particular category is in need of revision, what with the various high-rise hotels having been proposed downtown as well as The Worth condos.

#11 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:07 AM

I assume that it would be cumbersome, if not problematic, to grant administrator access to the website listings. What do you think about a system in which we draft new/updated descriptions, post them here, then you (John) paste them into the website pages when you have time?

Crowdsourcing with an extra layer of oversight. Wikitecture!

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

I would not want too many administrators; however, I still would appreciate any help.  Elpinguino's suggestion may be the best. There's always a change that I might not have a photograph of the building that is put up here.  I would also gladly accept photos, or I could go out as soon as I could to take a picture.

#13 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

Now just so we're clear, you're talking about the Forum, the main page or both?

Because if it's the main page, I'm already brainstorming. 

7fwPZnE.png

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:35 PM

It's the main site.  The forum has its own problems which hopefully one of the other administrators could help. 

On the main site, I have explored a change for quite some time, but knew my time was limited and I always wanted to keep updates going on major buildings.

#15 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:57 PM

It's the main site.  The forum has its own problems which hopefully one of the other administrators could help. 

On the main site, I have explored a change for quite some time, but knew my time was limited and I always wanted to keep updates going on major buildings.

Alright, I'm using PowerPoint to kinda assemble what I'd want to see, just as a rough draft. 

7fwPZnE.png

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:03 PM

Here is what I started a few years ago.  These are just screen captures of the opening page and one building description.

samplewebpage.jpg

thewestbrook.jpg

#17 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

Obviously not finished, but this is kinda what I had in mind: 

GHNqDyb.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#18 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:36 PM

I'm already strongly impressed.

Wish that I was talented at this sort of thing.

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:25 PM

Which version do you like the best?

#20 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:43 PM

This is the rare instance, and you know me,  when I will go with the flow instead of going against it; and I would be happy with either.

#21 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:54 PM

Let's have more people vote.  The layout for the one I started is not complete.  It actually has a masked image to be placed in the background and there are more links for the navigation on the left side.

#22 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:46 PM

I like both, but if forced to pick one, I would go with John's.  The only critique I have of Jeriat's is that the left side of the screen is a little boxy and busy.

John, weren't you partnering with someone on reworking the site not that long ago?  I assume that didn't work out.

#23 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:07 AM

Yes, I am partnering with our local historians group who do the tours on Saturday morning with me.  The original plan was to pool our resources, but it became more a melting pot of all of Fort Worth's history and buildings on one page.  It was appearing to me that some of the material might be owned by others, and so I was just a little leery about getting into this full time.  That page is http://www.ourfw.com, if you want to check it out.

Jeriat's left side could probably just be refined a little more.  The same could be said about my design.

#24 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:34 AM

I'd vote for Johns as well. Seems cleaner visually.

Though one thing which I think would be VERY cool (and I have NO IDEA how hard it would be) is if you could use some of Jeriat's great skyline imagery and allow someone to hover over images to learn what the buildings are and maybe be able to then click and link to the buildings description...

#25 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:48 AM

An upgrade of the website is probably due.  So much has changed in technology in just a couple years I would imagine that will make, if were possible, the Forum more exciting and interesting.

A genuine suggestion and something to keep in mind when making changes is that it is wise to retain and blend elements of the old into the new as it can ease the eventual transition to new version of the Forum.01

#26 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:58 AM

The forum has its own separate set of problems that are now apart from the website.  Acutally, the website works and runs fine.  They are going to be dealt with separately.

#27 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:36 AM

I will see if I can bring one page up to full functionality, complete with photographs.

#28 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the complements, but like I said, it was an incomplete rough draft. I have more to come, but I also like John's design.

I was just basically going off the current home site. Not sure exactly what was required. 

7fwPZnE.png

#29 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:20 PM

Just wanted to go ahead and add these before I forgot... one idea I had for the site as you see the neighborhoods on the left. When you select them, the main image changes as a background to fit your option. 

Examples:

Q3CfV9P.jpg

yLeSbwV.jpg

gqQARCt.jpg

5qWJFHS.jpg

And "The Core Hoods"

d9tlUiH.jpg

MSdBa4V.jpg

GcWuplf.jpg

YG6gr7E.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#30 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:24 PM

That is really cool. Great idea!

#31 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:29 PM

That is really cool. Great idea!

Thanks. I just randomly found that effect online and played with it. 

7fwPZnE.png

#32 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

I also like that sketch effect on the photographs.  That is pretty nice.  I'm having some trouble with getting the photos to look right on my design.  They are supposed to be masked, but they are coming in full color.  I masked a Courthouse photo and it never became masked on the site.  I may have to actually have it live for the pictures to look right.

#33 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:13 AM

Love the Polytechnical High School sketch.  I would believe that including Texas Wesleyan to be more significant as an anchor for East.  Neighborhoods east of I35 are frequently under represented.  When the new version, Forum.01 is issued, please add Riverside/Trinity, Handley, Stop-Six/Southeast as sectors.

At the moment South is to encompassing (Near South, Magnolia, Medical District) and consideration should be given to breaking it up.  The University Drive (TCU/Zoo to Camp Bowie ) and Camp Bowie/Montgomery to I-30 could be a thought of as Mid Town (TCU,Zoo, Dickie Arena, WRMC, Museums, Botanic Gardens)

#34 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

I also like that sketch effect on the photographs.  That is pretty nice.  I'm having some trouble with getting the photos to look right on my design.  They are supposed to be masked, but they are coming in full color.  I masked a Courthouse photo and it never became masked on the site.  I may have to actually have it live for the pictures to look right.

Do you have the site up to see what you're talking about or is it still just in progress and offline? 

7fwPZnE.png

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:32 PM

I didn't make anything live.  Everything is offline.  Also, each section has a photograph that when you hover over it, the photo is highlighted.  I may have to make things online in some form or fashion for further experimentation.  We will probably have more discussion on breaking off different areas of the city.

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:05 PM

Here are the current areas as described on the website. 

The area included in Downtown is bounded by the Trinity River on the north and west, I-35 W on the east, and I-30 on the south.

The area included in the Cultural District by both forks of the Trinity River on the north, east, and south,  Montgomery Street and an irregular boundary on the west back to the West Fork of the Trinity River.

The area included in the Near Southside is bounded by I-30 on the north, I-35W on the east, Magnolia on the south, and the Clear Fork of the Trinity River on the west.  However, the major hospitals and medical campuses that sit just to the south of Magnolia are included here for the sake of continuity.  All buildings on Magnolia Avenue are also included. 

The area included in the Northside is bounded by Interstate 35W on the east, the West Fork of the Trinity River on the south, and the Jacksboro Highway on the west.  The northern boundary is the Fort Worth City Limits.

The Eastside area of Fort Worth that is located east of Interstate 35W. 

The area included in the Southside is generally everything south of the property line abutting Magnolia Avenue, West of Interstate 35W, and south of the Clear Fork of the Trinity River.

The boundaries of the Westside are Jacksboro Highway on the north, Montgomery Street on the east, The Clear Fork of the Trinity River on the south, and the city limits on the west.

#37 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:02 PM

I now have three pages that are live and online.  They may not fully work, but you can get an idea.  I have intro page up, an area page (Downtown), and one listing (The Westbrook).  I put a picture of the Frost Tower on the Westbrook page to see how a mix of Landscape and Portrait photos would work.  This is merely a test.  Please follow the links.  If you click on another link, it should go back to the old pages.  I'm looking for feedback.

New Intro Page

Architecturally Significant Downtown Buildings

The Westbrook

#38 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:58 PM

I'm still looking for feedback.  Also, be thinking about new building listings or deletions.

On an aside, when I posted the description for Left Bank, I received some negative comments.  Several e-mails and a couple of comments on social media asked that I refrain from posting the large block apartment buildings.  I replied to all of the people who e-mailed me and I replied that I generally agreed with them and I don't consider many of these large block apartment buildings as architecturally significant.  However, I did say that I would list the ones that made a large impact on the urban fabric of the city.  I considered Left Bank significant because of its location an its impact on the Downtown area and 7th Street Corridor.

#39 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 02:11 PM

I like the concept, stylish. I wouldn't descriminate architecture either.

#40 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

This weekend, I bit the bullet.  I am updating the site to my layout as proposed.  This is going to be a challenge to revise all of the pages.  I have been doing a lot of coding over the weekend, but since it has rained a good bit of it, it gave me something to do inside while the dogs watched.  The only down side is that I haven't cleaned much around the house. 

#41 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:19 PM

John:  your new web front page is terrific!  Very nice job.  Thanks for what you do to keep this site going.  Given the state of journalism these days, it's good to know there's a reliable source of information on Fort Worth for those of us who do not live in Fort Worth, but want to keep up.

#42 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:16 PM

Thank you for the comments.  I have been slaving over the computer all weekend just to get to where I am currently.  There are still forum issues to fix, but I will get there.

#43 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:53 AM

Im still seeing that the mobile version of the forum leaves out apostrophes in posts. Is that a forum glitch?

Site looks great.

#44 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:59 AM

JBB, I'm sure it is a forum glitch.  I will try to get the forum issues fixed, as well. 

On the website, after all the work I did over the weekend, I can now start converting building pages to the new format.

#45 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:43 AM

"Architecture in...Cowtown"  Hmmm.  Obviously, Richard Connor would not agree with the top heading, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

http://www.fortworth...e298f80e89.html

As for me, I like the change in style and format!

#46 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:04 AM

One of my pages says Architecture in the 15th Largest City in the U.S.  Or how about Panther City?  I can easily change the heading. 

Johnfwd, thanks for the comments.  While I am redoing this site I would appreciate more comments from the forum.  I like having the members being more a part of the overall site.  Since I am actually making the changes, any input is appreciated because I can probably make the changes. 

By the way, it looks like the Garvey-Viehl-Kelley House will be the first "new building" listing to the redesigned site.  I was over there a couple of weekends ago, and the developers of the apartments have finished the restoration.  I took a few really nice photographs of it.

#47 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:06 AM

I drove by the Garvey house about a month ago and I agree.  It's turning out really nice.

Just one observation on the site: the boldness of the lettering on the lists of buildings in each section is a little hard on my eyes and it may be made worse by the white lettering on the black background.  I see what you're trying to do by distinguishing the building name from the address and the construction dates, so I don't know if I have a better solution.  Maybe a larger font size and less of a bold look.  That's a very minor critique, so please don't kill yourself to fix based on my feedback.  The longer I look at it, the better my eyes adjust to it.

Great job, John.  It's a very nice modern look with smooth navigation.  I'm interested to see if you're able to work out anything with modernizing the Jack White collection pages.   I'm sure that's a pretty large undertaking since the pages themselves are jpegs and not in a format that's friendly for editing.  Did you get them in a more raw format or was that how they were delivered to you?

#48 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:40 AM

Would yellow text for links be easier on you eyes vs. bold text? That would be a way to distinguish whats live or not. I do plan to somewhat overhaul the Jack White Collection. The intro page to his photographs will be converted to the new format. Unfortunately, he sent them to me in JPG format. The only way to fix them is to strip the image and retype all of the text. That will be as big of an undertaking as the site itself. Maybe when I retire I could do that as a project.

#49 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:55 AM

I would avoid nicknmes. They are a contentions topic in this city.

#50 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:57 AM

I can fix that tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users