9 replies to this topic

#1 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

College Station and Texas A&M University by extension are among the next locales where the ALT-Right is planning a gathering of violence and civil unrest.  Should Rick Perry, John Sharp and the Legislature take steps to stop this from happening in Texas?

More - https://www.texastri...exas-m-sept-11/

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:02 PM

Under pressure from a number of directions, Sharp cancelled the event himself.

#3 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:56 PM

EXCELLENT!

Under pressure from a number of directions, Sharp cancelled the event himself.

Excellent news!  Sharp saved what is left of our state's reputation and prevented a stain upon one of our state's premier institution.

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

The university cited safety and security concerns, but that was just a futile attempt to have a defense against the inevitable lawsuit.

#5 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

I don't think it's excellent news. While I totally and wholeheartedly disagree with the views and opinions of the 'white nationalists' 'ALT-right' or whatever the hell name they come up with, killing the event wasn't right. The First Amendment doesn't apply to only the opinions we agree with. Richard Spenser should have been responsible to pick up the tab for security if it were to happen though.

What's with all the counter protests having to coincide with a protest now? I was flipping through the news channels last night and this morning and I couldn't even keep up with which group was protesting and which one was counter protesting all the possible events throughout TX and the Nation.

Erik France

#6 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

The First Amendment doesn't protect yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater.  I think this situation is analogous.

My blog: Doohickie

#7 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

Correct, and there are laws regarding violence and what is currently legally defined as 'hate speech'. Let them have their legal assembly and maybe they would hang themselves this time.

Erik France

#8 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

So you're willing to sacrifice a student or two in the process?

My blog: Doohickie

#9 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

Negative, was not the intent of my post. The part about hanging themselves was more in regards to using true 'hate speech'. Violence shouldn't even be a factor, but unfortunately, it is. 

Erik France

#10 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

The fallout has been swift.

Those who made the trip to Charlotteville to express their hateful ideology are paying a price that they did not calculate in their decision.  If they had a job, if they attended college, if they had friends who were unware of their ideology are being fired; being expelled; and are being ostracized.  I hope that they are placed upon the list permanently banning them from commercial flights.

Pelligini, it is my guess that neither Richard Spencer or David Duke have the money to pay the cost of their actions.  The children, the wives of two state troopers are now fatherless and widows; a mother has lost a child. And for the families of these hate mongers, they are being stigmatized as well.  This is excellent news; you can not reconcile it as a First Amendment question.  The world watched the U.S. tearing itself apart for what?

Hate speech may be protected; but acting out hate speech is not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users