• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

I like dabbling in trivia and chatting about it in this Forum, without risking of condescension at best and downright ridicule at worst.  Case in point being my most recent admission of having been victim to an optical illusion regarding the comparative heights of the newly topped-off Frost Tower with the nearby BOA tower and electric building.  This morning I walked over to Burnett Park and stood on the northeast edge just to size up these buildings.  Sure enough, they all appear on a level plain at their tops!  Of course it's not really so.  And the recent total solar eclipse seemed an appropriate analogy.  One might conclude that the diameter of the moon is wider than the sun, how else could it completely cover the sun?  Sure thing, Mike!

Such an illusion reminded me of a former Army sergeant friend of mine who liked to charm the ladies while drinking beer in a sports bar.  On one such occasion, he dared a lady to bet him a dollar that he could not "knock down this wall three times."  No  way, replied the lady, impossible, can't be done!  So my vet friend got out his fist and proceeded to knock on a nearby wall three times in a descending order.

#2 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

Did he get the dollar?

#3 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:06 AM

Nah!  Just teasing the ladies.

#4 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

I like dabbling in trivia and chatting about it in this Forum, without risking of condescension at best and downright ridicule at worst.....

Me too.  The Administrator doesn't and most of the Moderators in this Forum don't engage in trolling or condescension.  Your opinion should never be ridiculed.

I always read your comments with the enthusiasm and the contemplation that they deserve.  :)

#5 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:25 AM

Condescension and ridicule are regular tools of proving a point in a forum discussion, right, while trolling (however much fun) is just for amateurs? 

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:00 AM

Condescension and ridicule are regular tools of proving a point in a forum discussion, right, while trolling (however much fun) is just for amateurs? 

The tools of proving a point in a forum is to cite facts that support reasonable positions whatever side is taken. Condescension and ridicule is to behave like Trump.

As for trolling being "fun",  I think it is bullying and is a tool to disrupt dialog. Trolling is a disservice to the meaning of what it means to be an amateur who can be someone who has not yet attain a career level (college athele, medical intern, etc.) and who aspires to reach  a professional certification or status.

In social media, it is easier to be more disruptive than it is to be constructive. Disruption is the goal of the troller and there is not a lot of satisfaction for others except for the "Joker".

Tip: Jokers and trollers usually wear funny costumes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users