• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bonfire98A

Bonfire98A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

Here's a downtown building renovation that appears to have slipped under the radar.  This is at the corner of 9th and Commerce, across from the Convention Center.  As far as I know, it has been vacant for as long as I've been working down here (since 2004).  

Of course, I assume this is a renovation as opposed to a demolition, since there's scaffolding on the side of the building and the company involved is a "construction" group.  I know this is far from being the prettiest or most historic building downtown, but I hope the renovation won't turn the building to brick-and-stone and will instead preserve the original International Style facade.  

(Then again, for all I know this building could have been brick-and-stone to begin with, and then subsequently modernized).

9944473996_4341aaf424_b.jpg

#2 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:men, reading, music, and development

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

I have never noticed this building

#3 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

I've probably seen the building while walking around downtown.  What's good about this is that it is one of several downtown buildings where rehabilitation is going on.  As well as new construction such as the Sundance plaza area.  Which means that Fort Worth remains economically healthy.

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

It's a nice little building. With maybe an awning it would look better I think. Otherwise I agree, I hope they don't radically alter the way it looks. 

I don't know anything about Preston Construction. Their custom homes are VERY nice though. They posted a picture of this building on Facebook and I asked what was going on, but no reply yet. 

Maybe next the building on 9th and Houston will get an update now since updating buildings on Worth Square seems to be the popular thing. 

#5 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

The Moncrief Building!

7265521010_280dbd96b5_z.jpg
The Moncrief Building, Fort Worth by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

Never liked that building… wouldn't miss it if it was gone and the plaza between the historic hotel and Convention Center was opened up more.

#7 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

I have never noticed this building

Really? It's RIGHT across the street from the UFO arena and on the same block as the JFK memorial.

Never liked that building… wouldn't miss it if it was gone and the plaza between the historic hotel and Convention Center was opened up more.

I agree with all of this. 

It doesn't even seems like it fits with that block. Just like, it was randomly placed there. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:05 AM

The whole eastern side of that block is awkward. This building, the car ramp down to the garage, the courtyard thing north of that. It would take some creative thinking to make all of that look nice and gel together.

#9 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:02 AM

When I said i never noticed the building, I meant it in a sarcastic manner. I just really feel that it is a insignificant. 

#10 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:05 AM

The building would be better with about 3 or 4 more floors added to it.

#11 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

When I said i never noticed the building, I meant it in a sarcastic manner. I just really feel that it is a insignificant. 

Ah. 

Well still, I'd rather see it gone. It could be replaced with a more pronounced and outstanding aviation memorial (I think that's what it is), maybe even featuring an old, retired plane to celebrate Fort Worth's aviation history.  

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#12 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

I think that's a great idea.

#13 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

Like most International Style buildings, I think it'd work better and be pretty darn cool (or at least, significantly niftier-looking than it is now) with non-tinted glass.

--

Kara B.

#14 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

I noticed the renovation work is on the west side of the building and facing the Kennedy Memorial.  I suppose there's going to be a 50th anniversary observance at the memorial, so hopefully this renovation work will be competed by then so it isn't a distraction?

#15 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

I always wanted the whole block to be a JFK park. The area is very historic. On that tragic day. JFK gave his last public speech. (Gave his last by invitation only speech inside) I may be wrong .But I think the JFK speech outside the hotel was a last minute thing. It was not a part of his trip to Fort Worth. But the growing crowd outside made them think to do a public speech. And that fit in with his purpose to coming to Texas in the first place. To carry Texas in 64.

Was the whole block just a parking lot on the day JFK gave his speech? If so .Why was it given the name General Worth Square ? We have the whole city to find a place to Honor him. Then a aviation memorial ? Again we can Honor Fort Worth aviation history somewhere else. But Fort Worth honored JFK by naming one end of the convention center ? I like to see the whole block. A open green space. People can sunbath. Have a picnic, With some seating, And the JFK statue overlooking the area. Maybe some remarks he made posted on pillars. Just my opinion.

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

It just so happens that www.historicaerials.com has a 1963 aerial of downtown.  In that year, the entire block was a parking lot.  The two aerials before that taken in 1952 and 1956 show the Metropolitan Hotel (1898) on the block.  Buildings remained on the western side of Main until they were demolished to build the underground garage and General Worth Square. 

#17 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

That driveway heading underground would make the layout of a full-block park a bit awkward. Sounds like a cool idea though if it were to be more interesting than the current park is.

-Dylan

#18 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

Or just span the block across main, ala Sundance. (may as well just shut down the whole street to cars and make Main into a pedestrian mall, it's not like it goes anywhere anyway)

Honestly though I quite like GWS. With "Hats" removed it opens it up a lot, there's room to just sit in the grass, or play sports, whatnot, and the provided seating under the trees on either side is almost always being used by someone. 

Looking at GWS from Main on Google Streetview, I can spot at least 12 people in the public space. 

#19 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

It just so happens that www.historicaerials.com has a 1963 aerial of downtown.  In that year, the entire block was a parking lot.  The two aerials before that taken in 1952 and 1956 show the Metropolitan Hotel (1898) on the block.  Buildings remained on the western side of Main until they were demolished to build the underground garage and General Worth Square. 

Thank You Mr. Roberts . My grip is that President Kennedy. Made this plain simple parking lot. Historic. Not aviation. Or General Worth. The new President Kennedy memorial is better. But I'm still not happy .How Fort Worth handled this historic event and area. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: downtown, 9th, commerce, renovation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users