4 replies to this topic

#1 CShaw

CShaw

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

I hope this is the correct place to post this (first post).

I live in and am a member of the Western Hills North neighborhood (Neighborhood Association). We are undertaking a beautification project at 3225 Cortez Drive (Las Vegas Trail and Cortez Drive), Fort Worth, TX 76116 (32.726441, -97.465235).  There is a memorial for a prize-winning bull, Prince Domino Return, so we call this the PDR Project.  We are just going to redo the landscaping on the triangular patch of land with more weather-hardy plants.  The bull belonged to Dr. Charles H. Harris of Harrisdale Farms before he sold that land and began Harris Hospital (as best as we can tell).

We are trying to find out what the brand was for the farm and if there are any living relatives today.  Additional photos would be appreciated, too, as we are also working on our neighborhood topper identification signs and would use that as a reference.

I have worked with librarians at the UTA Architecture, Planning, and Public Affairs Librarian and UTA Special Collections but they were also unable to find any additional information.  I reached out to the Cattle Raisers Museum but have not heard anything back.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

20160917_093519a.jpg

20160917_093527a.jpg

20160917_093534a.jpg

#2 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

C Shaw,

Welcome to the Forum, the place to post and to read all things about Fort Worth. :)

#3 qmcgown

qmcgown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:34 PM

CShaw- Welcome to the forum. If you're still following, here's a little more information on Dr. Harris' prize bull. Charles Harris opened his private hospital in Fort Worth in 1907. He eventually deeded it to the Methodist Church, starting a process that led to the establishment in the 1930's of what is now Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital. During his long years of practice, he was also one of the leading breeders of Hereford cattle in the country. Prince Domino Return was his most famous bull. Dr. Harris sold his 1,800 acre Harrisdale Stock Farms in 1955 to developer E. E. Cloer, who laid out the first phase of his Western Hills Addition that same year. Dr. Harris used a portion of the sale money to provide a million dollar endowment for the Harris College of Nursing. I don't think Dr. Harris was survived by any direct descendants, but he did have siblings. As to the brand, you might try the American Hereford Association, headquartered here in Fort Worth.

The Prince Domino Return memorial was originally an elaborate rock monument. I can't remember the year it happened, but some 15-20 years ago a car crashed into the marker and destroyed it. I'd love to know who took the time to set the inscribed stone into the new concrete base so that the memory of the bull, Harrisdale Farm and Dr. Harris could live on in the neighborhood. Good for the Neighborhood Association for the landscaping project.

#4 CShaw

CShaw

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:11 AM

Wow! I did not know that about the wreck, although, now that you mention it, my brain vaguely recalls a large rock there a LONG time ago.  We lived in apartments nearby about 20 years ago.

Do you mean the Texas Hereford Association off Airport Freeway?  I looked up the AHA but it looks like it's in Kansas, although they may have info, too!

Here is the sign topper we're in the process of designing, inspired by Prince Domino Return! :)

WHN_St_Sign_Topper_25_-_PROOF.jpg

And our website HERE.

Thanks for the additional info!

#5 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:07 PM

I recall the original monument being a tapering stack of pink bricks. It was taller than now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users