• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#51 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:56 PM

No! No Merlot glasses.

"They" will THROW them at us. sad.gif

Boooo! tongue.gif

You in? Cool. Bring them Dixie cups this time around.

COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#52 Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:27 PM

Funny we're talking about this right as this happens: http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=1350

#53 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:24 AM

Now THIS I can get into!!!! Any weekend but this weekend or 3/18. Let's do it!! Maybe a good cab would entice them ghosts to set a spell and have a glass with us rotflmao.gif . They could tell us their story.

#54 Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:10 PM

Somebody's already buying it and even started spending thousands of dollars cleaning it up. I doubt anybody would be allowed to go in.

#55 Bellisarius

Bellisarius

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:28 PM

Former Star Telegram writer Andy Grieser writes about the Log Cabin Village hauntings here:

http://www.escmag.co...l/ag/102502.cfm

Enjoy,
Bellisarius

#56 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:33 PM

BUT perhaps we could be ALLOWED to make a local docu-film about this place. Proceeds go to preservation efforts for the FWHistStockyards. What do ya'll think? Easy to get sponsors in backing this project.
www.iheartfw.com

#57 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:03 PM

I can bring a camcorder with the glasses happy.gif

#58 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:32 PM

Digital? AVID? Decent lighting, like that of what the "Cheaters" crew would use.
www.iheartfw.com

#59 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:53 PM

If yall get the key - I am SO in for a trip down there!

#60 RicknTX

RicknTX

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:41 AM

Okay, forgive me for replying to such an earlier posting but I'm just a newbie and am catching up on a lot of previous postings.

Imagine, if you will, me sitting at the dining room table one late October morning about 3-5 years ago (exact year evades me) as I opened the Star-Telegram. "Hmmm...", (I thought to myself), "I see there is a story about purported 'ghosts' of Fort Worth to go along with the Halloween season." It drew my attention in, and as I read about the various 'accountings', I suddenly had to stop and call my wife. "Janice!", I called. "You won't believe this, but one of my step-fathers is being recognized as a 'ghost' in Fort Worth!"

Yep, Jack Martin was the natural father of three of my siblings (Jackie, Mike and Yvonne) and was my 1st step-father. There is no question about this being THE Jack Martin because in his final years he did work at Eli's Pizza, a downtown pizza eatery next to Peters Hat Company. My brother Mike and I would drop by and visit ever so often and he, Mike, Gary (the owner - I never asked why they called it Eli's Pizza), and I would sit and chat about old times.

The layout of the pizzaria was such that all the dining took place at the front of the establishment, and to go to the bathroom one had to pass between the service counter (on the right) and the sink and dishwashing area (along the left wall). One the left was an old commercial-type dual stainless-steel sink with the regular faucets as well as a hand-sprayer on an extendable hose.

When I read the accounting of patrons being sprayed on the back of the neck as they passed by the sink on the way to the bathroom, I could very well visualize Jack doing that IF he knew you in the very least - I don't think he would have done it to anyone he did not know? But, of course, if he WAS a ghost, I'm sure he would not let that stop him since the person would not know who did it? Anyway, that's the exact kind of humor he had - not that I believe in ghosts. But, I do find it odd that although he is now deceased, his "sense of humor" lived on. Imagine walking past the sink, getting sprayed on the back of the neck, turning around, and there's nobody to confront! Funny!

Jack lived a rough life...spending several "tours of duty" down at TDC. He was alcoholic, lost a daughter to drugs when she was in her early 20's, and finally found a place of comfort in his final years working with Gary after his final release from prison. He was a colorful character and I am surprised he never became an insignificant (but present) character in some of the colorful stories of the old Jacksboro Hwy or history of East Lancaster. I believe he died (in August 1984) of cirrhosis of the liver...?

Yep, I was surprised to say the least, and as soon as I got to work the following Monday morning I did not delay in spreading the story of Jack Martin and his ghostly shenanigans.

Sorry for such a long post!

...Rick

QUOTE(Willy1 @ Aug 17 2005, 11:39 PM) View Post

There are lots of interesting things to add here...

The murder of Karen Koslow in the early or mid 90's took place in a relatively newer home in River Crest. Everyone suspected her husband, but it turned out that her daughter, a senior at AHHS, had promised two friends part of her inheritance to kill her step-mom. They're all spending the rest of their lives in jail.

Haunted places:

Fort Worth - Red Lobster on Hulen St. - Mainly seen in the kitchen a ghost of a girl likes to tease the cooks. At night employees have seen her walking the restaurant.
Fort Worth - Old Opera House - Some people have said that the Opera House right out side of Fort Worth is haunted. They don't know who it is but some people have said that you can hear screaming every once in a while
The ghost of Tom Peters moves hats around. When they acquired the space of the former pizzeria, they may have acquired the ghost of the dishwasher, Jack Martin. Jack would baptize new employees with a good spray from the dishwasher.

Students say that the building was built on an old Indian burial ground. According to the rumor, if you go up the flight of steps that leads to the roof, you will hear voices that do not belong to anyone living.
Ghostly footsteps. Sounds of pages being turned, strange shadows on staircase and an apparition on the second floor are also reported. Building is now an antique store. The current owners are very open about the ghost and are willing to let people in to "look" for the apparition.
In the Ft. Worth Stockyards - sister store of the Maverick. The first floors have been remodeled, but the second floor is the same as it was a hundred years ago. NOTE: Nearly every building in the Stockyards has a ghost story.
Ft Worth Stockyards - Miss Molly's
This former bordello has had a few apparitions spotted within its walls.
Haunted by at least 4 separate ghost. A small girl in the bathroom that turns on water, flushes toilets, and scatters paper towels. A woman in white that can be seen on the balcony late at night. A old cowboy, that throws glasses and knocks over stools. The third floor is haunted by a woman who was killed during a fire. You can still see the fire marks.
Two apparitions have been reported - a lady in white appears on the grand staircase, and a gentleman wearing tennis clothes shows up at the top of the stairs. Music has been heard coming from the ballroom, and ghostly voices have been heard as well.
A janitor apparently hanged himself from a pipe in the basement of this theater. His ghost seems to spend most of time in the strange corridor filled basement where he died. A wardrobe woman was so frightened one night by cackling coming from the stage, that she left and never returned.
The downstairs banquet room/wine cellar is haunted. In the 1800's, this area of Ft. Worth was known as "Hell's Half Acre" because of its numerous saloons, brothels and gambling halls. The building that now is home to Del Frisco's Steakhouse was a bathhouse. A man was bathing when he was shot in the back of his head. The spirit roams from the banquet room to the upstairs bar and back again.
Ft Worth- Log Cabin Village
Over-powering presences in an upstairs bedroom, the smell of lilacs, and a female apparition have been reported in the Foster Cabin.

Source: http://www.carltodd....ter/haunted.htm

#61 Tony

Tony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:44 PM

Really?! Ghosts?! Until I stumbled on this thread I thought VERY highly of the discussions. What science is it exactly that proves ghosts? What would the measurement be? Is there a device that monitors, tracks or senses ghosts? Come on.

#62 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:59 PM

A few weeks ago I saw a TV show about UFO's,and it said the debris of a crashed UFO in NM was flown to FW(carswell i think).Is there a thread anywhere here about it?Ive never heard this before.
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#63 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

It is the Roswell legend. UFO wreckage flown to Carswell. I believe there are even press photos from '47 taken with the wreckage (which had already been ID'd as a weather balloon by that point) at Carswell.

--

Kara B.

#64 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Nov 16 2007, 02:30 PM) View Post

It is the Roswell legend. UFO wreckage flown to Carswell. I believe there are even press photos from '47 taken with the wreckage (which had already been ID'd as a weather balloon by that point) at Carswell.

I think this might be one of the articles.

http://www.v-j-enter....com/jbond.html

#65 Sailor

Sailor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:20 AM

Have you seen the restore work on the Clark house lately? It is very well done....

#66 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Storm Photography<br />Storm Chasing<br />EMS<br />and<br />I love great architecture

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:31 PM

[quote name='TexasPacific52' date='Aug 20 2005, 02:44 AM' post='15706']
August 10, 1982
Shore View Drive, Lake Worth
5 very violent and brutal murders that the suspect Larry Keith Robinson was executed for.
http://www.clarkpros.../robison607.htm

That is crazy!
I can remember this all over the news here, and it really freaked me out, and also being a 10yo at the time!

I was recently telling my wife about this horrible incident. I remember it from being a kid here in W-FW. I always new it was around LKWorth area but never exactly what area. I tried to look up "Shore View Drive" in Lake Worth (Google Map) but cannot locate it. does anyone know where this happened at in LKWorth?

This was/is IMO one of the worst horror, violent acts this city has ever seen when it comes to what was done during the murders.
Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#67 TexasPacific52

TexasPacific52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Railroad fan, Boyscouts, Photography and some backyard birdwatching

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:48 PM

Perkins

The murders occurred in the 8300 blk of Shoreview Drive off of Las Vegas Trail and Heron. Mapsco 59L or so just west of GD.

#68 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Storm Photography<br />Storm Chasing<br />EMS<br />and<br />I love great architecture

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(TexasPacific52 @ Nov 19 2007, 05:48 PM) View Post

Perkins

The murders occurred in the 8300 blk of Shoreview Drive off of Las Vegas Trail and Heron. Mapsco 59L or so just west of GD.

Thanks TP52!

That is creepy, does someone demolish such a house or houses before re-selling the property? I would not move into a house that had such a horrible past within its walls! blink.gif

Before getting laid-off from Lockhead last yr, that was the road I took as a shortcut to work. Much easier than Clifford! I never new that was the area. unsure.gif
Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#69 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:53 PM

I lived very near the scene of the Shore View murders when they occurred. One of the victims was the brother of a classmate of mine. To this day I remember my shock when the 10 o'clock news opened with a report from the scene -- nothing ever happened out there. Then THAT.

The house where the murders took place is not visible from the street and never was. I have no idea whether it's still standing.

#70 hinzdl

hinzdl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (safly @ Feb 11 2006, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anybody know of such similiar "gunfights" in DTFW. Maybe along Houston St. or Main, more towards the CC part of DT onto Lancaster (original Hell's Half Acre?). Never knew EXACTLY where it was at. Very interesting "Gunsling" history.

Did you ever find out where the Acre was. If not here a general area...Bound on the north by 7th street on the east by commerce, south by front (Lancaster) street and the west by houston, some extend it to Throckmorton but That is the locations of many churchs which naturally preached against the wages of sin and corruption....

Also Short and Courtwright where not by the White Elephant Saloon (300-blk of Main)even though they had met there. It later moved to the 600 blk of Main. The walked a little down the street near the Shooting Gallery (I'd have to look at my book notes to remember the name) When the shooting stopped, Courtwright fell into the doorway of the Gallery.

#71 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:11 PM

Hell's Half Acre was bounded on the north by Ninth, on the south by Lancaster (earlier named Front St.), on the east by the Sante Fe station and on the west by Houston. Basically, the Convention Center, Water Gardens and all the parking lots west of the Sante Fe in that area.

#72 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

Hell's Half Acre

Here's a map I did a year or so ago that details the location and the history..

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#73 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:16 AM

QUOTE (Willy1 @ Aug 17 2005, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The murder of Karen Koslow in the early or mid 90's took place in a relatively newer home in River Crest. Everyone suspected her husband, but it turned out that her daughter, a senior at AHHS, had promised two friends part of her inheritance to kill her step-mom. They're all spending the rest of their lives in jail.

Any further info on this. I went to AHHS C/O 06 (I know Im a youngster) I find this interesting.
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#74 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (FortWorthLowrider @ Aug 11 2009, 05:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any further info on this. I went to AHHS C/O 06 (I know Im a youngster) I find this interesting.

As I recall, the house is on Clarke, very close to the country club.

#75 FestiveJaci101

FestiveJaci101

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Everything and anything about the history of Fort Worth and Dallas; I am currently specifically interested in learning more about the history of The Cellar Club, the Four Deuces, and Pat Kirkwood. <br /><br />My husband, Giles McCrary, welcomes all interested contributors to a television documentary he is currently producing about The Cellar Club, in association with The Crossroads Texas Music Project, a music archive housed in the Southwest Library Collections at Texas Tech University.

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (Prairie Pup @ Aug 21 2005, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of my favorite "Infamous" sites in Fort Worth is the southeast corner of Hulen and I-20, formerly a larger lot when it was the corner of Hulen and Loop 820. Who knows or can remember what happened there?

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to, but as I recall, when there was a restaurant on that corner, there was a sting operation set up there for the second indictment of Cullen Davis. Cullen had hired someone to murder the judge for his upcoming trial. But the hired gunman turned state witness and got the judge to pose in his car trunk, appearing as if he was indeed dead. A photo of the supposedly dead judge was taken and turned over to Cullen for thr promised payoff. As the money changed hands, Cullen was arrested again.

Someone I knew was paid to videotape the transaction from a van parked in that parking lot. The videotape was used as evidence in court.

#76 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

The restaurant was Coco's, which later became Jojo's, which is now Denny's.

#77 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (cbellomy @ Oct 3 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The restaurant was Coco's, which later became Jojo's, which is now Denny's.

Yep, that's right. I remember when this incident happened because _Time_ magazine discussed it, but they really goofed it up. Firstly, they ran a photograph that was supposed to show Cullen and Priscilla Davis together, and it was captioned as such, only the man in the photo was definitely NOT Cullen Davis! I don't remember what his name was, but he had a mustache. Secondly, _Time_ called the restaurant "CooCoo's."

Right behind CoCo's/Denny's used to be a restaurant (probably a Steak & Ale) that later became C & S Music. But a few years ago the music store closed and the entire building was demolished. Nothing is on that site today.

Coco's had some good hamburgers! My family didn't eat there often because it was too spendy.

#78 hinzdl

hinzdl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE (cbellomy @ Aug 11 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (FortWorthLowrider @ Aug 11 2009, 05:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I recall, the house is on Clarke, very close to the country club.

The house indeed was on Clarke @ the corner of Washington Terrace. It is on the northwest corner. I grew up on the next corner of Bunting @Washington Terrace. After my Mom died, the house was sold and then razed. There is only a vacant lot there now. I also graduated from AHHS but a few years back....66

#79 waywr

waywr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:06 PM

Regarding the Log Cabin Village ghost lady, I remember hearing, back in the early 80s. that she sometimes appears on Rogers, the street that runs up behind Log Cabin Village. That street is pretty much a hill behind there through an overgrown woody area.
Supposed to drive up Rogers at night with your car lights off and stop halfway up, then wait for the ghost lady.
Or something like that. I heard that story from a couple of people back in the old days.
Tried it once too. Didn't see any ghosts but it made my girlfriend at the time plenty mad.

#80 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (Prairie Pup @ Feb 11 2006, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This may be a little too obvious, and perhaps more "famous" rather than infamous, but no one has yet mentioned the last "street gunfight" on Exchange Av. between "Longhair" Jim Courtright and Luke Short, memorialized and comercialized at the White Elephant Saloon.

Perhaps a more infamous location is the intersection of Samuels Av. and NE 12th St. where a hackberry tree once grew that was the scene of the last public lynching in Fort Worth. In 1921 Fred Rouse, a black man, was abducted from the county hospital by a mob after being severely beaten by a mob after he crossed a picket line and wounded two white men during a labor action at the Swift plant. He was hung in the tree and his body desecrated by the crowd. Three days after the murder the tree was chopped down. The Tarrant grand jury failed to return an indictment even though many people were witnesses to the events. This link contains more information from the Knight-Ridder organization, parent company to the Star-Telegram (as of today anyway)

http://www.knightrid...h/jimcrow4.html

Any further info on this? the link is out of date.
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#81 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

This may be a little too obvious, and perhaps more "famous" rather than infamous, but no one has yet mentioned the last "street gunfight" on Exchange Av. between "Longhair" Jim Courtright and Luke Short, memorialized and comercialized at the White Elephant Saloon.

Wull...

The real Fort Worth White Elephant Saloon wasn't on Exchange in the Stockyards. When the original White Elephant was in it's prime around the time of the Courtright-Short shooting, it was in the 300 block on Main Street about 7 blocks north of Hell's Half Acre. The Stockyards really didn't get rolling until after 1900 when Swift and Armour built their huge plants.

Here's the story

Both Courtright & Short are buried in Fort Worth's beautiful Oakwood Cemetery and get hundreds of visits per year from historians and tourists. They also are often featured in the Oakwood Tour every fall.

Here's a map of what Hell's Half Acre and the Uptown area looked like in the 1885-1890 era

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#82 hinzdl

hinzdl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:39 AM

The Elephant later moved to the 600 bolck of Main and that is where it finally closed it's doors.

#83 earlbutkus

earlbutkus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Local history and historic sites

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

I went to school at Castleberry and always heard that the high school was haunted and was built on an old Indian burial ground.

#84 earlbutkus

earlbutkus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Local history and historic sites

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

Castleberry High School is also infamous for the murder of Retha Stratton by classmate Wesley Miller in the early 80's. I think there was an episode of 48 Hours about it.

#85 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 05 September 2023 - 09:13 AM

Perhaps a more infamous location is the intersection of Samuels Av. and NE 12th St. where a hackberry tree once grew that was the scene of the last public lynching in Fort Worth. In 1921 Fred Rouse, a black man, was abducted from the county hospital by a mob after being severely beaten by a mob after he crossed a picket line and wounded two white men during a labor action at the Swift plant. He was hung in the tree and his body desecrated by the crowd. Three days after the murder the tree was chopped down. The Tarrant grand jury failed to return an indictment even though many people were witnesses to the events. This link contains more information from the Knight-Ridder organization, parent company to the Star-Telegram (as of today anyway)

Record PDC-23-0019:
Pre-Development Conference
Record Status: Pending

Permit Address

Record Details
Applicant:
Fred Rouse III
Tarrant County Coalition for Peace and Justice

Project Description:
Fred Rouse III
A memorial project that will become a community healing space, as well as a historical remembrance space.

#86 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 29 September 2023 - 09:53 PM

Record PDC-23-0019:
Pre-Development Conference
Record Status: Pending

Permit Address

Record Details
Applicant:
Fred Rouse III
Tarrant County Coalition for Peace and Justice

Project Description:
Fred Rouse III
A memorial project that will become a community healing space, as well as a historical remembrance space.

From DDRB 10/5/23 map: https://cfw.maps.arc...6f6ab1542fca765

Mr.%20Fred%20Rouse%20Memorial__169601709

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users