357 replies to this topic

#51 Doug

Doug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth<br>Tennis

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:52 PM

For the past 4 weeks we've been ttally involved in Hemphill/Berry in 3 projects.
1. Hemphill Taskforce - a local improvement group with monthly meetings. We try to get any new construction to have parking in rear for pedestrian friendly/appearance sake. Our target is from Page (Elizabeth Blvd) to Biddison, but having interest to Seminary.
2. Hemphill/Berry NEZ and to bring back 40's & 50's type retail to intersection.
3. Model Blocks grant attempt for residentiol triangle bounded by Berry, Hemphill, and the BNSF tracks -- excluding Travis Ave Baptist Ch, LeJardan(sp?) apts and commercial on Berry and Hemphill -- but includng in a big way old Fire Station 10 as a neighborhood center. We turned in phase 1 and have our fingers crossed to get the funds and use them wisely. Must have worked 60 hours (plus regular work) the last 2 weeks to get the application in. Feels like a vacation now.

Here's an article we wrote for the South Hemphill Heights NA concerning the old days when I was a kid.

Urban Villages of 40’s & 50’s

The South Hemphill Heights neighborhood of today was known as Shaw Heights from 1900 through most of the about 1950 because of the location of Shaw Brothers Dairy on and surrounding the sight of George C. Clarke elementary school.

As houses were constructed through the teens and 20’s, the Berry/Hemphill and the South Adams/Shaw intersections became “urban villages” where most of the day-to-day needs could be purchased without the need of a car. Movies changed weekly and often were double features at the White Theater (now Berry) with horror movies on Wednesday afternoons during the summer. Grocers, cleaners, bakeries, drug stores, dime stores, barber & beauty shops, and many other establishments were within walking distance.

At Shaw and Adams during the 40’s & 50’s were 3 grocery stores, a beauty parlor, drug store, cleaners, piano tuner and auto repair shop. There was also a Masonic Lodge on the second floor of the structure on the northeast corner. All structures remain standing today.

The Berry and Hemphill area was less fortunate in preserving many historical structures. There was a long strip center, extending north from and including the existing structure north of the Mobil station on the NW corner. The existing building housed a Mott’s and Renfo-Rexall Drug Store, the buildings to the north contained a A&P Grocery (later Safeway) in the 40’s and Western Auto Store in the 50’s. To the north were a package (liquor) store, a bakery, a Texaco station and a Rockeyfeller System Cafe. There was a “Torch Lounge” near the north corner. The Safeway moved to present location of the Mercado Monterrey in the 50’s, then to the present location of the TAB Church South Annex. The Supermercado Monterrey building was a Kragen Auto Supply for some years, but was most recently vacant.

The NE corner had a Modern Drug’s on the corner, a cleaners, a Taylor Ice Cream Parlor, a jewelry store and barber shop in the White Theater building, a beauty shop, a piano showroom and other stores to the north.

A Worth Food Mart was on the SE corner facing Hemphill originally and later in the existing building in the 50’s. The present O’Reilly Auto Parts store was an Army/Navy store after Worth Foods closed. A hardware store was located just south of present building.

The only business on the SW corner was a Humble service station.

Other bygone businesses, etc in our neighborhood include Balche’s Florist @ 1020 W. Berry, Antoinette Cleaners (now a restaurant) @ 1112 W Berry, a Totem Food Mart (later a 7-11) @ 3045 College – across from Capps Park, Hemphill Heights Grocery @ 2636 Lipscomb, Stroop Pharmacy @ 2746 Lipscomb, Wisenhawn Grocery @ 2624 Lipscomb, and Hemphill Heights ME Church @ 912 W. Shaw. I’m sure there were other establishments that escape memory.

Most day-to-day necessities were within walking distance and the White Theater changed features (often double features) weekly and in the summer had “horror show” matinees each Wednesday. It was pleasant to be able to pick up milk & bread, a repaired watch, the cleaning and a prescription without having to drive miles.

#52 Doug

Doug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth<br>Tennis

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:31 PM

If anyone has creative or multi-use ideas for the Berry Theater, we'd like to hear them. An art theater only might not be profitable at such a location. Does anyone know the name and type af venue someone in Austin has put an old theater to use as? Have heard it seems to be profitable -- but Austin is still a college town even at its size.

Our semi master plan is for 1 to 3 story structures north of the theater to the end of the block with retail/feataurants on street level, apartments above, and parking in rear as the buildings will be on the property line as is the Berry Theater.

Any other ideas will be appreciated -- thanks.

#53 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:07 PM

Johnny (and anyone else interested, of course), TCU projects are on the agenda when the University Neighborhood Alliance (UNA) meets at the DJ Kelly Alumni Center on the TCU Campus at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, October 11. The alumni center is on Stadium Drive, just south of Cantey Street.

The Agenda thus far is as follows:
Update on Bluebonnet Circle Development
Update on Berry Street Redevelopment
Presentations by Candidates for House Seat 97 (Anna Mowery and Nancy Stevens)
Update on TCU development plans and progress
City of Fort Worth 2005 Update to Comprehensive Plan

View Post

So...what happened at this meeting? Any news about development plans? I've been trying to find out what kind of timetable the city has for Berry Street reconstruction from my "inside source" (heh, friend's dad...)

The few of my friends I've mentioned a more pedestrian friendly Berry to have reacted quite acceptedly. They say that in Berry's present state, walking is tedious and a bit dangerous and any change in their favor would be greatly appreciated. So City of Fort Worth: you have the students of Paschal High School's approval. :D

#54 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:03 PM

Last week, I noticed barricades at the parking lot on Berry surrounding Perrotti's Pizza. I was by there today and they had a temporary construction fence up, the landscpae was being uprooted, and the surveyors were surveying. It looks as if this mixed-use project at TCU is now officially under construction.

#55 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:20 PM

Last week, I noticed barricades at the parking lot on Berry surrounding Perrotti's Pizza.  I was by there today and they had a temporary construction fence up, the landscpae was being uprooted, and the surveyors were surveying.  It looks as if this mixed-use project at TCU is now officially under construction.

View Post

Probably was just the field crew surveying. Most surveyors don't run their own equipment anymore.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#56 SurplusPopulation

SurplusPopulation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:29 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I was by there at the Jack-in-the-Box at lunch today I thought I noticed one of those temporary, portable buildings that are used on construction sites.

#57 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:13 PM

I noticed the barricades, but I have not been up that way in a while, so I wasn't aware of the construction trailer. I should be heading over that way during lunch on Friday, so I'll try to snap a pic for you guys (/gals).

#58 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:22 PM

Even though I was driving down Berry today at lunch, I went around the block on my way home from work this evening. There is a rented construction fence all the way around the site except for the parking area around the old house where Perrotti's is located. The southwest corner of the block is still open for parking. A large construction trailer does sit on the eastern half of the site. Demolition has started on the parking lot. The parking lot lighting has been removed, the wheel stops have been removed and they are sitting on one end of the lot, and some of the landscaping has been dug up or removed. Although this is in its very early stages, it does look like a construction site to me.

#59 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:12 PM

I forgot my camera yesterday, but I did manage to see what was going on. It does indeed look under construction, and that makes me very excited. Hopefully it will be a rude awakening for the rest of Berry Street and other similar projects will soon follow.

#60 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:39 PM

Well, it's official. They got their permit a week ago:

Date issued: 01/31/2005
Permit #: PB04-01230
Contractor: C D Henderson
Construction Type: APARTMENT
604,405 sf
Valuation: $29,000,000.00
Address: 2850 W BERRY ST FOREST PARK ADDITION-FT 13 4 MAPSCO 076W
Description: NEW APTS W/PARKING GARAGE
**Type Construction: N

#61 GuardianFrog

GuardianFrog

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:43 PM

Pup, they're already accepting applications.  It appears it will be some type of club.

View Post

From what I understand it will be a smoke and alcohol free club.

#62 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 01:35 PM

July, huh, we'll see about that...

Berry St. face-lift date set

By Paul Bourgeois

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH - • The 2.5-mile project is scheduled to begin in July.

The long-talked-about and much-delayed redevelopment of Berry Street is set to begin in July.

The busy south-side thoroughfare could be tied up by detours and construction crews for most of a year, said Linda Clark, a member of the Berry Street Initiative, a grassroots organization formed in 1996 to improve the Berry Street corridor.

The plan includes repaving the street and putting in medians and turning lanes, wider bricked sidewalks, new streetlights, benches and signs.

The $4 million project is funded by state and federal grants as well as $1.5 million from city bonds approved by voters in 1998.

Sandra Dennehy, an architect who heads the initiative, said that the money is in hand and that her group and city officials are confident it will be enough for the job.

They are banking that the payoff will be a resurgence of Berry Street, a once-thriving shopping and dining area that has been in decline since the 1960s.

"It definitely will be worth it," Dennehy said. She said the goal isn't simply to make Berry Street more attractive to developers but also more attractive and safer for pedestrians.

Much of the street is a wide slab of pavement where speed is the norm and only brave pedestrians try to cross.

Christa Sharpe, the city's assistant director for transportation and public works, said that there still will be two lanes in each direction but that a major goal is to slow down traffic.

"The purpose is to really enhance pedestrian mobility as the street develops," Sharpe said.

The medians and new crosswalks, in particular, will make crossing easier for pedestrians.

The entire project covers 2.5 miles from University Drive east to Evans Avenue.

Most of the work is planned along the more commercially developed stretch from University Drive to Forest Park Boulevard.

That segment will get the full treatment, including street reconstruction, widened brick sidewalks, landscaping and irrigation, medians, new crosswalks, lighting, furniture and "wayfinding"-- street signs with additional information.

The rest of the project will get new street lights, sidewalks, landscaping and street signs.

--------------

It would be great if they could finally get this over with. It seems that every time they set a deadline, things drag out longer than they should (which I'm sure is not their intention, just unfortunate).

If they do start in July, so will begin the year of hell!

#63 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 06:48 PM

Sure, but the finished product will make that year worth it.

#64 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:12 PM

Noticed a few things, while running errands this morning. McD's that has been closed for a while is gone, empty lot awaits new development. Closer to TCU at Lubbuck (Maybe) they are tearing down a building today.

At the 8th Ave Crossing they are putting a median.

#65 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:37 PM

McDonalds was demolished months ago (February, I think), I guess I should have mentioned that when it was happening. And are you talking about the actual 8th Avenue or Cleburne (for some reason everyone calls it 8th). I noticed construction crews but there have been several crews that block off the center lane every now and then, do something (don't know what), and by the next morning they're gone and the street looks the same as the day before. I guess I'll have to pay closer attention tomorrow morning.

I was thinking today, randomly, what was Berry like in the 1920's and 30's? It's obvious almost all of the area around the street was developed then, but there's nothing on Berry (except the Methodist church) from the same time period. What was demolished? Was anything even there in the 20's and 30's? Does anyone have any pics from when the street was "young"?

#66 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:12 PM

Jonny, I think everything on Berry was built new in the '30s.

Nothing was out there until TCU came in the '10s. I think Berry and University were both just buggy paths and trolley lines then.

#67 DTCB

DTCB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:59 AM

"I was thinking today, randomly, what was Berry like in the 1920's and 30's?"

I have always wondered the same.

Berry St. in the 60's had the old Thurber bricks and was not a smooth ride.
It was only two lane road. It looked nothing like today.

The underpass one block west of Henderson usually flooded when it rained.

The overpass one block east of Hemphill did not exist, and trains would block Berry for what seemed like long periods of time.

I too wish to see pictures of the old Berry St.

#68 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:46 PM

Berry was 2 lanes before they expanded it to six!?!? That's absurd. What were those crazy 70's transportation planners smoking.

So if Berry was originally fronted by buildings built in the 1930's, what kind of buildings were they? Commercial? Aesthetically pleasing? "Urban"? I can guarantee almost nothing that was originally there exists today except UUMC and maybe Panther City (not sure though). Other buildings I'm unsure of are the Fuzzy's Tacos/Aardvark building and the church at Merida and Berry. Those look kind of old, but I remember hearing once that the church was built in the 40's.

If anyone has pictures, don't hestitate to post 'em!

#69 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:24 PM

University Church of Christ (formerly West Berry Church of Christ) was built in 1950.

#70 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:36 PM

To get the latest skinny, the Berry Street Initiative is meeting Monday, May 16. Meetings are open to the public.

Time: 5:30 PM
Where: Travis Avenue Baptist Church
South Complex, Room E100

Agenda:

* TCU Housing Project Update - Don Mills
* TCU Master Plan Update - Don Mills
* Street Projects Update - Mike Domenech/City of FW
* BSI Street Images Update - Linda Clark
* BSI Phase II Discussion - Wendy Davis
o Design Guidelines
o Next Construction Work (?)

#71 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:09 PM

I also noticed yesterday that the brick building on the northeast corner of Merida and Berry was demolished over the last couple of days.

#72 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:42 PM

I noticed that last night... Is this TCU clearing the area?

#73 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:36 PM

Well, now it appears that the McDonalds site is going to be home to...another McDonalds :huh: . No news on the Merida/Berry building demo (forgot to ask), but Sav On is coming down this summer and TCU is replacing it with a placeholder parking lot for the time being.

#74 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:59 PM

Maybe the new McDonalds will be a retro redevelopment high-tech design McDonalds with a pedestrian-friendly approach that blends into the urban landscape and compliments the whole Berry Street vision.

Or not.

:huh:

#75 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 10:48 AM

Well, it looks like my skepticism wasn't totally off the mark. Here we are in August and not so much as a cone to hint at construction. I wonder when they're really going to start building Berry...

#76 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:40 PM

I was in FW on Friday and had the displeasure of driving down Berry St. It's a disgrace that this a main corridor to TCU. Have any of you been arount the SMU campus? It's a lovely corridor with lots of businesses that cater to students. I moved to Dallas from FW in 2000 and there was the Berry St. Initiative then and very little has changed. If Berry is going to be revitalized, they have a looong way to go. Right now, it looks like the aftermath of a nuclear explosion.

#77 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:58 AM

My cousin just transferred to TCU from UT. He is more than dissappointed by the lack of development around campus. He doesn't have a car, and the nearest affordable, clean place he could find to live was the Hulen area. He says in Austin he never needed a car, everything is in walking distance from campus. He has a friend here in Dallas at SMU and although not quite as exciting as UT , he is envious of the nearby off campus enviorment. He was told by other students lots of TCU students come to Dallas to do most thier partying. I hope FW powers that be see how important it is to revitalize Berry St. TCU can't do it alone. I'm sure they've heard the complaints to mobile-challenged students. University offers some shopping and entertainment, but it's still a long way to I-30 if you don't have a car and the transit system..don't get me started on that.
I'll be working in FW today, so after work I'm picking up my cousin to run some errands...I hope he's able to afford a car soon.

#78 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:29 AM

vjackson, unlike many other distressed parts of Fort Worth, Berry Street has and organization that is having success getting things done. They have funding for their first phase of actual construction on Berry, and TCU has already instigated what is sure to be a steady stream of development (from the outside) with their 6 story apartment/retail building. I think Berry street holds the most promise for revitilization in Fort Worth if you want to know the truth of the matter. Fort Worth South is too large for the entire thing to be one fluid redeveopment any time soon, 7th street...well that's just hopeless. Trinity Uptown, again, pretty far into the future. The only thing is that the construction on the actual streetscape keeps getting pushed back more and more. The development will come, it would just be nice if there was a nice street to tie it all together.

The latest news I've heard is that construction has now been pushed all the way to OCTOBER!!! :wink: That means they're going to be cutting it close if they want to finish the street before GrandMarc opens its doors. I want to know what's the problem with the street construction...I haven't been to any of the recent Berry meetings, has anyone else? Any sensible reason behind the delays?

#79 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 04:29 PM

johnny, I lived in the area before moving to Dallas. I live in the Ryan Place neighborhood for almost 3 years before moving to Dallas in 2000, and Berry St. has changed very little. I am aware of the plans for the street. They were talking about that when I moved. I do agree Berry St. is prime for revitalization, but it seems to be moving very slowly. I am very glad to see the GrandMarc. I'm hoping it gets things moving a lot faster.

#80 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:50 PM

Well you've got to admit that actually having a full block, 6 story apartment building under-construction is progress, especially for Fort Worth. Everything I've heard would indicate that GrandMarc should open the floodgates for development on Berry, however, The Tower was supposed to open the same floodgates downtown, but I think there was a mechanical problem and the gates are jammed or something, because what little post-Tower development going on is pitiful. We'll just have to wait and see.

#81 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:26 PM

Looks like we should see some work soon on the street. The city awarded the contract on Tuesday.

http://www.fortworth...ldate=9/27/2005

#82 McHand

McHand

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Interests:music, neighborhoods, kids, education, biking, politics, urbanism, food, friends, family

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:07 PM

Admittedly I'd like to have seen improvement beyond Forest Park but this is certainly a good start.

Voice & Guitars in Big Heaven
Elementary Music Specialist, FWISD

Texas Wesleyan 2015
Shaw-Clarke NA Alumna

#83 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:35 PM

October 22 will be a groundbreaking ceremony followed by a party/street dance at the old Save-On site. Claim is: the lot will be paved so we don't have to dance in gravel!

#84 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 04:36 PM

My cousin just transferred to TCU from UT. He is more than dissappointed by the lack of development around campus. He doesn't have a car, and the nearest affordable, clean place he could find to live was the Hulen area. He says in Austin he never needed a car, everything is in walking distance from campus. He has a friend here in Dallas at SMU and although not quite as exciting as UT , he is envious of the nearby off campus enviorment. He was told by other students lots of TCU students come to Dallas to do most thier partying. I hope FW powers that be see how important it is to revitalize Berry St. TCU can't do it alone. I'm sure they've heard the complaints to mobile-challenged students. University offers some shopping and entertainment, but it's still a long way to I-30 if you don't have a car and the transit system..don't get me started on that.
I'll be working in FW today, so after work I'm picking up my cousin to run some errands...I hope he's able to afford a car soon.

#1: Virtually every student at UT has a car. Austin is not any more ped-friendly than Fort Worth.
It is more bike friendly, but they're only in the early stages of installing a bike system. West Campus is as close as it gets in Austin and it lacks most basic services that one would require in a neighborhood (e.g. a grocery store).

#2: It is a complete myth that most TCU students drive 40 miles to go out at night. I am sure some often travel to Dallas just as many people get out of town for the weekends, however Downtown has a ton of students on a nightly basis as do the bars around TCU's campus.

#85 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:14 PM

^^^^^
Now that school has started my cousin has told me he has found places in FW to party with his friends during the week. Buy his feeling on FW's nightlife is as follows: Compared to Dallas it pretty much sucks. The bars are mediocre at best. There's no diversity at all. The good dance and hip hop clubs are all in Dallas, as well as the live music shows. Fort Worth in general is not a party type college town. Right now his friends and he are over in Dallas about 3 times a week. He's crashed here with me about 4 times. As far as driving 40 miles to go out at night, when I lived in FW (I was 24) I did it all the time. As did most of my friends, many of who also are in the Dallas area now. If you really wanted a fun time, you had to go to Dallas. I think it's gotten a little better in FW but not much. I still meet people from FW in Dallas nightspots all the time. As a college student, I know it can't compare to Austin. And I'm sorry, the area around UT is much more college friendly than the area around TCU. I would visit friends there and we would have blast. It didn't seem that anything was too far from campus. I've seen Berry St. and I can understand why my cousin is disappointed.

#86 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:26 PM

Austin is not any more ped-friendly than Fort Worth.

True for the most part, but I think I will agree that the area around the actual UT campus is a bit more conducive to pedestrian activity than the area around TCU. Not just because it has more attractive streetscaping, but there's simply more to do. I can see that changing for TCU though, I've noticed more students than I have in recent years actually walking down Berry to do stuff, and the right hand lanes are becoming more frequently occupied with parked cars than they have been. GrandMarc is finally rising above Berry and let me tell you, right now it's only 2-3 floors actually fronting Berry and it's already dramatically changing the way the street feels.

Greg, I really hope you're right about October 22. I don't doubt that eventually construction will begin, but there have been too many "firm" groundbreaking dates for me to put much faith into this one. They are making progress on the old Sav-On lot though, you can see Pier One from Berry St. now. :)

#87 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 01:44 PM

Groundbreaking ceremony didn't happen yesterday, I presume?

#88 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Sep 30 2005, 09:14 PM) View Post

^^^^^
Now that school has started my cousin has told me he has found places in FW to party with his friends during the week. Buy his feeling on FW's nightlife is as follows: Compared to Dallas it pretty much sucks. The bars are mediocre at best. There's no diversity at all. The good dance and hip hop clubs are all in Dallas, as well as the live music shows. Fort Worth in general is not a party type college town. Right now his friends and he are over in Dallas about 3 times a week. He's crashed here with me about 4 times. As far as driving 40 miles to go out at night, when I lived in FW (I was 24) I did it all the time. As did most of my friends, many of who also are in the Dallas area now. If you really wanted a fun time, you had to go to Dallas. I think it's gotten a little better in FW but not much. I still meet people from FW in Dallas nightspots all the time. As a college student, I know it can't compare to Austin. And I'm sorry, the area around UT is much more college friendly than the area around TCU. I would visit friends there and we would have blast. It didn't seem that anything was too far from campus. I've seen Berry St. and I can understand why my cousin is disappointed.

When seen through a Dallas lens, every other city pales in comparison. No other city has as many shopping malls, office parks, freeway lanes, suburbans, McMansons, retailers of various types,.......

No doubt that virtually any city of 1.2 million will have more bars, and greater variety in night life compared with a city of exactly half its size. I have witnessed a dramatic change and development of night life in this city in the 12 or so years I've been going to bars here. I recall in the early to mid 90's, the most impressive bars were in the Stockyards. Now, there are at least two other districts that have brought new dimensions of night life: Downtown and 7th Street. Downtown has more than a dozen bars that are, by virtually any city's standards, brimming with activity each week. The near west side (along 7th street) has lower key, but solid lounges, dives, and live music places - and is still in its infancy....2 more live music places opening soon. All told, FW's night life has improved dramatically in the last 7 years alone... and it continues to improve over time as the city grows. No doubt there are some new dimensions I really look forward to seeing in restaurants and bars here.

The night life here in Fort Worth is typically mellow - okay, but that doesn't make it actually bad. Austin's bar scene is also mellow for the most part. Remember, both of these cities lack the sales culture that Dallas has. (I'm thinking of those painful, self-promoting individuals who have a habit of displaying conspicuous symbols of wealth I can't seem to escape in most bars in Dallas). Conveniently they're confined to bars in one city in the state, so I know how to avoid them...

BTW, my point was that Austin isn't terribly pedestrian-friendly, not that it is unfriendly to college students.

#89 BluebonnetCircleInc

BluebonnetCircleInc

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Oct 23 2005, 02:44 PM) View Post

Berry St. Groundbreaking Celebration has been changed to Saturday, Nov. 5, 2005, to permit more dignitaries to attend. The location is (as we speak) being changed from the un-paved former Sav-On parking lot, to Capps Park at approximately 901 W. Berry St., to provide a more festive location. The time is still 2:00 to 5:00 PM.

An e-mail notice is going out soon.

Volunteers are needed for this event. For more information, contact Jim Johnson: jimjohnson AT swbell.net. Replace the " AT " with an @ symbol. Thanks!

#90 McHand

McHand

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Interests:music, neighborhoods, kids, education, biking, politics, urbanism, food, friends, family

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(BluebonnetCircleInc @ Oct 31 2005, 06:11 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Oct 23 2005, 02:44 PM) View Post

Berry St. Groundbreaking Celebration has been changed to Saturday, Nov. 5, 2005, to permit more dignitaries to attend. The location is (as we speak) being changed from the un-paved former Sav-On parking lot, to Capps Park at approximately 901 W. Berry St., to provide a more festive location. The time is still 2:00 to 5:00 PM.

An e-mail notice is going out soon.

Volunteers are needed for this event. For more information, contact Jim Johnson: jimjohnson AT swbell.net. Replace the " AT " with an @ symbol. Thanks!

Let me get this straight:

Are they having the groundbreaking ceremony several blocks from where the actual progress ends? Or does the project start at Hemphill and proceed west?

I'm just a little confused........ rotflmao.gif

Texas Wesleyan 2015
Shaw-Clarke NA Alumna

#91 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 06:47 PM

So, any details about the groundbreaking yesterday? Mainly, did it actually happen?

And has there finally been any word on when actual construction will begin? I'm anxious to just get the whole mess out of the way so we can enjoy the finished product...

#92 McHand

McHand

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:33 PM

My husband stopped by yesterday and said there were a ton of people and a band playing, but I don't know about a groundbreaking. Sounds like it was pretty successful.

Texas Wesleyan 2015
Shaw-Clarke NA Alumna

#93 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2005 - 08:37 PM

"Groundbreaking" is such a subjective term.

But I saw dirt fly from shovels, so I would say it happened. It was ceremonial dirt turned by ceremonial people using real shovels. But to give them credit, the people with the shovels all contributed and/or led to the success of the project (so far).

To give a bit of perspective on things, it's been 10 years since the Berry Street Initiative got under way through the sea of bureaucracy. Construction phase???

#94 BluebonnetCircleInc

BluebonnetCircleInc

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE(avenuebabe @ Oct 31 2005, 10:17 PM) View Post

Are they having the groundbreaking ceremony several blocks from where the actual progress ends? Or does the project start at Hemphill and proceed west?

There are actually two projects getting underway at roughly the same time--supposedly, just after the first of December (note, however, I didn't say which year). The total street reconstruction is from King's Liquor (Waits Ave.) to PHS (Forest Park Blvd.). A more modest set of signs, banners, lights and trees will go on Berry from Henderson to Evans Ave., omitting the Hemphill/Berry intersection. So, technically, the ceremonial groundbreaking was near the place where some improvements will go. Capps Park was chosen because it's a much more hospitable site for such ceremonial things, vs., say, an unpaved parking lot with no trees. Hope that helps.

#95 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:29 PM

So the ceremony finally happened? Something finally happened? That's progress, at least. Maybe, just MAYBE construction will start before 2006...(a mere 6 months behind the "concrete" July start date reported in the Star-Telegram!)

#96 McHand

McHand

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE(BluebonnetCircleInc @ Nov 6 2005, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(avenuebabe @ Oct 31 2005, 10:17 PM) View Post

There are actually two projects getting underway at roughly the same time--supposedly, just after the first of December (note, however, I didn't say which year). The total street reconstruction is from King's Liquor (Waits Ave.) to PHS (Forest Park Blvd.). A more modest set of signs, banners, lights and trees will go on Berry from Henderson to Evans Ave., omitting the Hemphill/Berry intersection. So, technically, the ceremonial groundbreaking was near the place where some improvements will go. Capps Park was chosen because it's a much more hospitable site for such ceremonial things, vs., say, an unpaved parking lot with no trees. Hope that helps.

Thanks, that does help.
I should explain the reason for my concern is that I live very near Berry and Hemphill as opposed to the TCU area, and it seems like this end of the street needs more immediate attention than further west. I do hope the revitalization will move east and in the next decade or so Berry and Hemphill will be or show the start of an urban village. Of course, with Travis Ave BC occupying a large swath of land there, I don't know what kind of opposition developers may face, even with enough funding.

Texas Wesleyan 2015
Shaw-Clarke NA Alumna

#97 krepanie

krepanie

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:20 AM

Have there ever been any talks of renovating the Berry Theater on Hemphill near Berry?

#98 DTCB

DTCB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:54 AM

Doug, when was Capps Park made a public park? Was it ever residential area?
Do you know where we can see some old pictures of the old brick Berry ST.?

#99 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

avenuebabe wrote:
I live very near Berry and Hemphill as opposed to the TCU area, and it seems like this end of the street needs more immediate attention than further west
I think the idea has been to push the west end since the commercial property is so extensive and in need there. In fact, if it gets back on its feet it has the potential to be a real catalyst for the entire street. Which is not to say that Hemphill/Berry can't use some help, too. But along Berry that part not really bad or in decay or anything. In fact, it's rather healthy. Up and down Hemphill still needs some progress, of course.

#100 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:57 PM

Hm, today I noticed a bunch of construction signs (not "upright" yet) lined up along Berry as far East as Cleburne Rd. Also, there were a lot of cones on Berry at Waits. Does this mean we're about to see the actual street reconstruction? FINALLY???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users