#1 jnewhart

jnewhart

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Preservation of historic architecture

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:06 PM

Next week, the Downtown Design Review Board will be reviewing the design proposal for the new Hilton Garden Inn to be built at 607 Jones Street. The hotel will be adjacent to historic Mount Gilead Baptist Church. Here is a link to the Board's agenda for the meeting next Thursday.

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:11 PM

Well hello ! That's a great 1st post. Thanks for sharing. 

Here's the text in case the pdf dissapears in the future/for the lazy

DG15-27 607 Jones Street Owner/Applicant: Fort Worth Metro Partners- DK Patel/ McCalla Design Group Architecture- Robert Dunkin Request a Certificate of Appropriateness to construct a ten story hotel

I wonder if this is the "Full service Hilton" mentioned by this Bisnow Article from earlier this year?

• JBB likes this

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

Welcome to the forum!  This is a great first post.

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:57 PM

Another surface lot on the east side of downtown bites the dust.

#5 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:25 PM

Another surface lot on the east side of downtown bites the dust.

One down.

About 14.5 to go... 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:03 PM

Here is a rendering of the project.  I have some problems with the way the building interacts with Mt. Gilead.

Proposed%20Hilton%20Garden%20Inn.jpg

#7 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:19 AM

Here is a rendering of the project.  I have some problems with the way the building interacts with Mt. Gilead.

Oh Boy! Me too; that is an awful wall.

This is yet another "XTO Garage" tone-deaf moment.  Where,today,  are the design groups who have the awareness and the appreciation of the surrounding city-scape?

I believe that it is way past time that garages be mandated to fit aesthetically such as the Third Street Sundance Square Garage.

#8 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:14 AM

I actually don't have as much of a problem with the garage wall, probably because of it's location. 

If this was in Sundance or along Lancaster where we're expected to see more foot traffic, I would be, but because it's right on a block that's right on the edge of downtown that really isn't used as much by many people, I'm not gonna be upset with it. Besides, it could make for great mural space for Mt. Gilead.

7fwPZnE.png

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

I actually don't have as much of a problem with the garage wall, probably because of it's location.

Arguably,  that location (Mt. Gilead) has been and continues to be an important gateway into Downtown and that reflects better than almost any approach the feel of a urban downtown. The church,  juxtaposed against the high rises, has served as a beautiful first impression to motorists entering downtown. 

I believe that it should be appreciated more.

#10 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:27 AM

You would be seeing more of the church than you would be the wall. 

7fwPZnE.png

#11 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:37 AM

You would be seeing more of the church than you would be the wall. 

How about anyone of these instead?

https://www.google.c...30jAeEvwm-HOIM:

#12 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:04 AM

I guess that would be fine, but it's really not as big a deal to me if it were in a place with more foot traffic. 

7fwPZnE.png

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:53 AM

I think artwork on the garage wall could district from the church.

#14 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:12 AM

I think a fix could be as simple as not going with a stark white wall or continuing the brick pattern from the hotel floors down to the garage floors. Anything that makes it look like it's not pointing its butt at the church. Even something as simple as the openings in the garage walls like those on the 5th St. side would be better than that.

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:27 PM

149 rooms btw

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:46 PM

For comparison, the Hilton Garden Inn Medical District at Midtown has 157 rooms.

#17 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:46 PM

Here's my two cents.  The building should step back to the west at roughly the top of the parking garage.  This would give the building a greater setback from the church at the upper levels.  Secondly, the first bay of the building next to the church should be set back from the street.  This would give some relief on the street facade of the building.  For reference, the Commerce Building pays this kind of respect to the Land Title Block.  Thirdly, some kind of screening should be done for the parking garage.  I still have a problem with the east wall of the building, but I'm still not real sure what the best recommendation would be for that blank wall.

#18 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:56 PM

My problem: This building looks like a hotel on top of a parking garage. If the brick were extended down as JBB suggested, and the blank walls were all one color (instead of a white hotel on a beige garage), it would look much better.

As for Commerce-style setbacks, I think that's unrealistic for a hotel building like this.

-Dylan

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:34 PM

People are Strange, there should be a way that they could show more respect to an adjacent historic building.  Maybe they could reduce the number of rooms by what appears to be 12. It might work with the number of rooms reduced by 6.  On the southern half of the building, maybe it is one floor taller to make up the difference.  I don't have a floor plan and the other facades, so it is a little hard to start making design changes without knowing the layout of the entire facility.

#20 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:50 AM

I've not been to a Downtown Design Review Board meeting.  Does the board recommend design changes based on some of the points made here (if any of these points are presented)?  Incidentally, the board's 10/6/2016 agenda also includes an exterior alterations proposal regarding Cowtown Place (702 Houston St.).  Wonder if these alternations are significant?

#21 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:50 PM

The DDRB is a public hearing.  Notices are mailed out to adjacent property owners about the case and a sign is placed on the property stating that the board is hearing the case on the applicable date and time.  The agenda is appropriately posted on the city's website.  Also, several civic groups monitor the agendas of all Boards and Commissions to see if there are any cases of note, and then they take appropriate action.  In addition to the above situations, all DDRB cases are reviewed by Downtown Fort Worth, Inc. and they have the right to have a meeting with the applicant and appropriate city staff. 

As for this board's influence, all I can say is that we have seen evidence that the members can influence projects in varying ways.  I will leave it at that. 

As for Cowtown Place, I replied to a comment over on that thread pertaining to the DDRB hearing.  The alterations are significant enough to be heard again because they change what had been previously approved by the board.  Unfortunately, I don't have any information on that case.

#22 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:14 PM

Downtown, like Near Southside, has I think, two layers of review.  There is a review group (dont know the name), and then the DDRB as the final approval. 

I think the first group often influences the projects by review and suggestions, often early in the process, which seems like a great service.  This should help projects from going too far in their design before knowing if they are on the right track or not. 

I don't know what happens if the developer chooses to fight the design review - whether they can somehow force designs that are neither group likes.  I expect it would be difficult.

I agree with parts of what John and PeopleAreStrange said.  The lower floors look, from that angle, like they could be improved. 

There seem to be a lot of blank walls. 

Even thought this site is not currently a place with high pedestrian traffic, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be designed as though pedestrians aren't important.  If every new building is designed to be highly pedestrian friendly, it will MAKE these streets more attractive and will attract a lot more pedestrian traffic. 

#23 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:43 PM

I believe that the review group is the Downtown Fort Worth, Inc. Design Review Committee.  They visit with the applicants before the Downtown Design Review Board hears the actual case.  I also think that if an applicant does not like what the DDRB rules, they can appeal the case to the Board of Appeals.

#24 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

Here's my two cents.  The building should step back to the west at roughly the top of the parking garage.  This would give the building a greater setback from the church at the upper levels.  Secondly, the first bay of the building next to the church should be set back from the street.  This would give some relief on the street facade of the building.  For reference, the Commerce Building pays this kind of respect to the Land Title Block.  Thirdly, some kind of screening should be done for the parking garage.  I still have a problem with the east wall of the building, but I'm still not real sure what the best recommendation would be for that blank wall.

My guess is that the parking garage will have more spaces than it actually needs.

What if, a portion of the garage's lower two levels (30ft x 200ft) that face the back of the church were used for retailing/shops/food kiosks.... something in mind like the Houston Street Garage/Retail complex?

The easement between the hotel and the church would become a tree lined pedestrian mall.

#25 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:55 AM

From what I know, I believe the board voted to continue the case until the next meeting. 

On a related matter, the designation of Mt. Gilead as a Highly Significant Endangered Landmark is going up before the Historic & Cultural Landmarks Commission on Monday.  If approved, the case will go to the Zoning Commission, and then on to City Council.

#26 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:53 PM

Samantha Calimbahin has more info, including rendering of the front

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-10%20at%209.49.1

There is also mention of retail space, possibly to include a coffee shop or such, which is great news to me, could help activate some of the streets some more over there. 

#27 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:48 PM

Two positive developments! :)

The Fort Worth Voice reports:

"The plans still need final approval from the city’s Downtown Design Review Board (DDRB), a committee that approves the design of downtown building projects. .....

DK Patel [Whitestone Hospitality,company president and chief development officer] said

the "hotel will have some changes made to the building’s exterior materials".

The Forum Effect, maybe.

#28 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:38 PM

Wow, that building looks nice from the front!

I'm happy the front has more vertical lines crossing from hotel to garage to make it look like one building. Hopefully, they will do this with the back as well.

-Dylan

#29 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:01 PM

One critique I'd have is that the garage and drop off zones have separate entries, and assuming there's another garage entry/exit on the north side, there would be 4 places in a half block development where cars would be entering and exiting the building. That could cause traffic issues, and cars crossing sidewalks is always a hazard to pedestrians. It's also unsightly. If there was a way have the garage entry via the drop of lane perhaps, it would probably help a lot, and be easier for loading/unloading etc. 

#30 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:18 AM

I agree.  Based on the art drawing, the building design looks great!

#31 Zetna

Zetna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:13 AM

Yes, this design is a lot better on its front / side facades compared to the one at Rosedale and Forest Park (ugh)...I'm glad they kept the design relatively simple. Some openings in the parking garage might help the rear facade.

#32 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:29 PM

... Some openings in the parking garage might help the rear facade.

I really hope that this hotel will happen. I like the idea of more rooms and jobs for Downtown.

Make some cosmetic changes to the garage and the hotel will be an even greater asset to an emerging Downtown.

#33 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

The elevated view of of the garage in the first rendering is a partiular unflattering angle, unless you are 5 stories tall the garage portion of the building would probbly not be very noticable when viewed from a sidewalk.  

• JBB likes this

#34 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:31 PM

This case was continued until next month.  They still have not resolved the design issues on the facade that is adjacent to Mt. Gilead Baptist Church.

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:36 PM

The Landmarks Commission approved the designation of Mt. Gilead Baptist Church as a Historic and Cultural Landmark.  Now it is on to the Zoning Commission and then, City Council.

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:39 PM

The DDRB approved the construction of the new hotel.  Historic Fort Worth, Inc. spoke in opposition to the project.  The property is currently zoned "J" - Industrial.  There is a height limit of 10 stories.  HFW requested that the building be set back from the church and a variance requested to add another floor on the building.  With what was approved, the building will be 10 stories next to the church.  The main rear wall of the church will be five feet from the rear wall of the hotel.  However, there is a second floor projection of the church into this space, so at that point the two buildings will be approximately one foot apart. 

#37 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:41 PM

After a mysterious gap of no news, we have some more information.

https://www.virtualb...town-hotel.html

They are searching for a contractor. Lots of numbers and facts in the article as well.

#38 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:20 PM

That strange that I asked about this and the “poof”... something pops up the next day

#39 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:49 AM

Didn't you know that this forum telepathically communicates with everyone!

#40 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

Didn't you know that this forum telepathically communicates with everyone!

or that there are stealthy lurkers near and far.

#41 NSFW

NSFW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Bike riding, Trinity Trails, food, supporting local business. Buy Local!

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:31 PM

Am I the only one that thinks this building looks awful for downtown? Downtown Fort Worth deserves better than this!

It looks like any other hotel on the side of the freeway stacked on top of a parking garage. Just my personal opinion. 

Adrian

#42 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:13 PM

I like the renderings of the front of the building.  If the back of the building facing Mt. Gilead hasn't changed, I'm not crazy about that part of the design.  For the most part, I can live with it if it means ridding that side of downtown of a surface lot.  There's far worse buildings downtown and they're not all going to be the Blackstone.

#43 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:06 AM

Maybe a large mural could go on the backside?

#44 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

If the garage levels were to be open-air with a decorative motif, the blank wall seen from the east approach into Downtown would not be so imposing.  Another solution might be to grow vegetation such as trees along the base perimeter of the hotel.

#45 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:06 PM

I think maybe an ivy wall or something like a living wall would be great. Something similar to this at SF’s new MOMA addition.

https://inhabitat.co...fe-into-sfmoma/

#46 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:06 PM

Yes, there are some aesthetically pleasing ways to veil a blank wall or to masquerade the garage.

#47 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:08 PM

This thing has basically disappeared. No signs of construction. I'm curious if it hit a delay or what. They basically went through every needed planning body and even had permits to build.

#48 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:31 AM

As concerning as some features of the design were, I'll be disappointed if this fell through.  Maybe it's just the typical delays that come with big projects like this - funding coming together, contractor schedules, etc.

#49 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:01 PM

The city needs to move through the approval process quicker. Working in depth with developers over the past few months has shown me that they don’t have the time or patience to wait on Fort Worth’s arduous process for getting projects going. I think this is what may have happened with this project.

#50 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:43 PM

The DDRB approval came less than 2 months after the meeting from the first post.  I won't argue that there aren't changes that need to happen in FW's development approval process and there's more to the process than DDRB, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion just yet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, New Hotel, New Construction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users